Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some pictures I took recently

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

They are not red listed. As long as the birds are not photographed at/near nest, should not be a problem. As per all other species bird should not be photographed so as to disturb the bird.
    Well not to put a spanner in the works...
    We had a talk from a well informed speaker at our camera club, and said one needs to get a licence, they are free...
    Does nightforce know where the nest is..? The kingfisher will if disturbed from the nest area, no longer use that area to breed..though it normally fishes away from the nest...as this is the breeding season, how does one know if they are sitting on or near a nest...the kingfisher is on a stick with a fish in its beak..waiting for what...I know that puffins will wait it out with a full load of sand eels, very close to its burrow because a photographer is sitting near it...if waiting too long the pufin will swallow the fish and heaad off for more...meanwhile the young puffins grow ever hungry...
    As for the kingfisher...taken from the RSPB site..
    Human disturbance of nesting birds is a serious problem, since the broods fail if something upsets the feeding routine. If human presence close to a nest prevents these shy birds from entering the nest for too long, the chicks may weaken enough (either from cold or hunger) to stop calling. This makes the parents wrongly assume that they are well fed and will not feed them. As a result, the chicks will perish.

In discussion with the person this morning...
    This is his words...
    You MUST have a licence. No question about it. Go to Parks and Wildlife Service www. Forms and rules there somewhere. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't know the rules. Also, see IPF rules re competitions.
    Kingfishers are one of the most protected species. Easily disturbed. Serious potential consequences for anyone who breaks the law. Why genuine photographers would not seek to have a licence is totally beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

you only need a license to photo in or near a nest with eggs or unfledged birds. To suggest you need a license just in case there might be a nest unbeknown to you near at hand is plainly not the case, as in that case everyone with a camera or a camera phone would need a license, just in case, wherever they may be .

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

Had a post about trying to find out stuff from the NPWS site but deleted it and replaced it with this

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Speaking as a Mod:

It's illegal to photograph birds at or near their breeding/nest site in Ireland without a license, if you're causing disturbance. Most photographers (and people in general) do not have the necessary field skills to be able to determine if they're causing disturbance or not, or to ascertain where a nest is or is likely to be.

The rules we have in the Nature and Birdwatching forum are more strict and clear - no pictures of eggs, chicks or nests without a license. End of.
    The mods will also use our own discretion with regards photos where the circumstances are not fully clear. Most regulars to this thread/forum know this is something I think is very important and so take very seriously.

With all of that in mind, we can't over-police things. It is true to say that any pictures taken at this time of year carry a high risk of being near the nest site, so I would strongly encourage any photographers to be wary of this and to not spend too much time in any one place to minimise the risk of causing disturbance to breeding birds. If a bird is posing in the same place for an extended period of time at this time of year it is likely that you're stopping it getting back to its nest.

Again for anyone who might not realise the risks, photographing a nest/chicks/eggs or being in the vicinity of one causes problems such as eggs chilling and not hatching, chicks chilling and dying, chicks starving because the adults can't feed them, heart rate and stress hormones rise in adult birds and don't decrease for several hours after the event, and tipping predators off to the location of a nest.

If anyone has any concern about pictures posted here they can report them and outline any potential problem they think there might be and the Mods will take it from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

Speaking as a Mod:

If anyone has any concern about pictures posted here they can report them and outline any potential problem they think there might be and the Mods will take it from there.

I have concerns based on previous posts that the picture I took of a meadow pipit a few weeks ago was actually illegal, I'd like to know if it was or not. It's a red listed bird I found out yesterday; when I took the photo I was walking my normal route to work and saw a bird on branch and took a photo, I ID it later.

I am awaiting a reply from an email sent to the NPWS regarding the taking of photographs of Kingfishers..I myself will be applying for a licence for the same as I have access permission and I want to photograph them this year...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Sorry I dont quite get it. According to this website a license to photograph protected species is required:

http://www.npws.ie/licences/disturbance/photograph-or-film-protected-wild-animal-or-bird

And according this other website:

http://www.conserveireland.com/species-list.php

even species that I would cosider fairly common are protected, i.e redshank or moorhen.

Does that mean that to take the photo of an adult moorhen or a redshank even when they are not nesting a license is needed? Or I am missing something?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

gzoladz wrote: »
    Sorry I dont quite get it. According to this website a license to photograph protected species is required:

http://www.npws.ie/licences/disturbance/photograph-or-film-protected-wild-animal-or-bird

And according this other website:

http://www.conserveireland.com/species-list.php

even species that I would cosider fairly common are protected, i.e redshank or moorhen.

Does that mean that to take the photo of an adult moorhen or a redshank even when they are not nesting a license is needed? Or I am missing something?

All birds are protected in Ireland - conservation status or distribution or anything like that doesn't come into it. You need a license to take a picture of their nest/chicks/eggs, or if you're likely to disturb the adult near its breeding site.

To the best of my knowledge it only covers breeding birds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Spotted something flash in front of my face today while out for a walk. Stopped to try and see could I find out what it was, when it kindly landed on my hand. :)

Large Red Damselfly
    IMG_20160512_164545.jpg

Kestrel
    7S5D8600.jpg

And my first Whitethroat of the year
    7S5D8610.jpg

• Advertisement

19xhqq.jpg

I've been watching for these to appear....

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Nightforce 65X55

Ok i'm just off the phone after talking to a chap in the licencing section about licences for photographing birds ( kingfishers and birds of prey included ) I have been told to work away photographing birds as Long as I am not disturbing nesting sites or carrying out surveys or scientific studies of a specific species. I was also told , first hand ,that I would only require a licence if I was disturbing nesting sites or wanted to scientifically study a species.
    Just for clarity I did explain the type of lenses and focal lengths I. E. Telephoto lenses and the general locations of the birds I want to photograph i.e. not nesting sites and have been told that there is no issue with it. I am awaiting a phone call from the Woman that deals with these type of licences and will pass any further information I get as soon as I can.

Again I have spoken to the NPWS and have now confirmed that a photographic licence is ONLY required to photograph birds at nesting sites the relevant sections of the 1976 wildlife act as amended are as follows ;

For birds.... section 22 ,9 F

For mamals .... section 22 ,6 B

This information is straight from the licencing section of the NPWS . Not second or third hand information.

On a side note anyone planning a trip to the saltees or any breeding sites will need a licence....

I hope this clears up a lot of misinformation that is out there and helps all wildlife photographers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

A scattering, over our patio, of the dead and dying this morning. Only one of the creatures seemed to be okay. Now known as 'Lucky'.

EDIT: Complete Irish Wildlife (ISBN 0-00-717629-5) (Collins) seems to point to the likelyhood of these being St Mark's Fly. (Biblio marci)
    Adult often appears around St Mark's Day [April 25th]. Antennae are short and body is black and hairy. Rather sluggish when resting on vegetation. Male flies with dangling legs. Found in areas of short grass and larva lives in soils.

doomedbugs13052016.jpg

hisorhernameislucky13052016.jpg

luckybreaksfree13052016.jpg

A grouping, over a square metre or so. Would the creatures have broken out of a pod of some sort?

I left the casualties in some dappled sunlight, nature will take its course.

'Lucky' went about its business..

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Migration of millepede’s

26896293592_7f81d110d1_b.jpg

Ok i'm just off the phone after talking to a chap in the licencing section about licences for photographing birds ( kingfishers and birds of prey included ) I have been told to work away photographing birds as Long as I am not disturbing nesting sites or carrying out surveys or scientific studies of a specific species. I was also told , first hand ,that I would only require a licence if I was disturbing nesting sites or wanted to scientifically study a species.
    Just for clarity I did explain the type of lenses and focal lengths I. E. Telephoto lenses and the general locations of the birds I want to photograph i.e. not nesting sites and have been told that there is no issue with it. I am awaiting a phone call from the Woman that deals with these type of licences and will pass any further information I get as soon as I can.

can we have this moved to a sticky and have a revised moderation on it. ie it seems it isn't illegal to take photos from a distance using a telephoto lens but currently against the Rules to post the result on here

can we have this moved to a sticky and have a revised moderation on it. ie it seems it isn't illegal to take photos from a distance using a telephoto lens but currently against the Rules to post the result on here

Mod Note:
    The idea of the rule, and its a rule that's also used elsewhere, is to discourage people from taking photos of eggs/nests/chicks. One person could take a photo from a distance with a long lens and post it here, and someone else could see it - someone oblivious to the world of long lenses etc - and think they'll try and get a picture of a nest they know about. There are an awful lot more people with point and shoots and camera phones than there are those with telephoto and zoom lenses. In addition, there's a can of worms to be opened when someone posts a picture of a nest that they took from a distance where there are signs that the birds were aware of the photographers presence.

I'm sure we all agree that the welfare of the wildlife is paramount, So for that reason we won't be changing the rules for this forum and the ban on nest/egg/chick pictures will remain in place. Thankfully summer tends to be a busy time on this thread even without those kinds of pictures, so there's no concern that the quality of the thread might suffer.

Mod Note:
    The idea of the rule, and its a rule that's also used elsewhere, is to discourage people from taking photos of eggs/nests/chicks. One person could take a photo from a distance with a long lens and post it here, and someone else could see it - someone oblivious to the world of long lenses etc - and think they'll try and get a picture of a nest they know about. There are an awful lot more people with point and shoots and camera phones than there are those with telephoto and zoom lenses. In addition, there's a can of worms to be opened when someone posts a picture of a nest that they took from a distance where there are signs that the birds were aware of the photographers presence.

I'm sure we all agree that the welfare of the wildlife is paramount, So for that reason we won't be changing the rules for this forum and the ban on nest/egg/chick pictures will remain in place. Thankfully summer tends to be a busy time on this thread even without those kinds of pictures, so there's no concern that the quality of the thread might suffer.
    that's fair enough, can you stickie the rule up where it wont get lost and will maybe serve more of a purpose?.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

A large white possibly??

26427869824_5ff6839456_b.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Hotei

Female Orange-tip keps.

386020.jpg

386021.jpg

386022.jpg

386023.jpg

386024.jpg

Large Red Damselfly (male) Pyrrhosoma nymphula

26427181554_40baa673f0_b.jpg

Large Red Damselfly (female)

26964533701_54fc437495_b.jpg

26427436144_03b1393687_b.jpg

Azure Damselfly (teneral male) Coenagrion puella

26999926256_8878893b7d_b.jpg

26759310080_00e5dd95de_b.jpg

Nature's Colours

26431084054_c0118a7521_b.jpgOrange Tip

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Clever focusing Keps. Is that Lady's Smock it's on?

TT

TopTec wrote: »
    Clever focusing Keps. Is that Lady's Smock it's on?

TT

Thanks - to tell the truth I do not know the name of the plant:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

These guys were just outside the house today.

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-16%20at%205.12.13%20p.m._zpsg9ummra8.png

Sawfly Tenthredo livida (male)

26799780080_e7f9b48260_b.jpg

Nomad Bee Nomada marshamella
    Nomad Bees are sometimes referred to as Cuckoo Bees because they lay their eggs in the nests of other bees, and often in the nests of Andrena species (Mining Bees):

26842906522_8f65f0b41b_b.jpg

26738757500_3055fe1ba4_b.jpg

Bilberry Mining Bee Andrena lapponica (female)

26410979924_5c5b39062f_b.jpg

Female Wolf spider (poss. Pardosa amentata) with an egg sac

26784602250_7368a00082_b.jpg

Statuesque

27078617805_c4ba509972_o.jpggrey heron

• Advertisement

Young Grey Wagtail learning what's edible! ( discarded this)

26473448564_c5e40568ff_o.jpggrey wagtail

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement