Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some pictures I took recently

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Came down to the kitchen to what sounded like someone letting the air out of a party balloon, pinching the opening.. a high pitched screech. Neighbour's cat had a huge frog trapped between two pots.

Beaker is just under 10cm across. I knew we had very big frogs, but you don't see them out and about much. You do tend to see smaller frogs though.

We have a small, very sheltered, somewhat overgrown garden that holds a lot of moisture. The frogs, most likely, come from a neighbour's pond a few doors down..

IMG_20160913_183515.jpg

I've let it go during daylight, keeping an eye out for the cat, beaker is now full of water, prepped by the door..

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Nightforce 65X55

Was away for the weekend but the weather put a hold on some of our plans , however we made the most of the small breaks in the weather and it worked out really well . We toured around the West cork coast and got some great photos, but these were the Highlight for Me , a wild White Tailed Sea Eagle and a Chick from this Year.... What a Sight....

396943.jpg

396944.jpg

396945.jpg

396946.jpg

396947.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Following WTSEs with a butterfly! :(

Painted Lady
    IMG_20160913_163525.jpg

Buff-tip moth caterpillar?
    IMG_20160913_164452.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭TedR

Nightforce, fantastic eagle pics, well done.
    The fifth one in the series looks like one of those stylized japanese pen and ink drawings.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

That W tag on the eagle looks very big/awkward:confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭TedR

TedR wrote: »
    Nightforce, fantastic eagle pics, well done.
    The fifth one in the series looks like one of those stylized japanese pen and ink drawings.

eh, I meant the fourth one, must learn to count properly :-)
    anyway fab pics

keps wrote: »
    I agree with you keps. If you look at the tag on the chick it is much smaller. Possibly they might have changed the type of tags used to a smaller type at some stage. But it is a large tag however it didn't seem to bother the Eagle. ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Took this a few weeks ago at the Botanic Gardens, Dublin

29410076205_2b121fed44_c.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

I agree with you keps. If you look at the tag on the chick it is much smaller. Possibly they might have changed the type of tags used to a smaller type at some stage. But it is a large tag however it didn't seem to bother the Eagle. ....

The tags are made and positioned in such a way that when the bird is in flight the air passes over the the tag the same as it would with the wing (i.e. the fold of the tag is on the leading edge of the wing). Studies as to the possible negative effects of tags of various sorts are done quite often in various places to keep knowledge up to date and test and improve various methods etc. The thing to remember with various sorts of tags etc is that the scientists behind them don't want the tags to do any damage, firstly because they care deeply about their study species and secondly because any data arising from tags that themselves negatively impact a bird make any data unusable. I havn't heard any issues with the wing tags on our Sea Eagles (or Red Kites or Buzzards), and similar schemes elsewhere have provided invaluable information helped to plan for their continued conservation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭vandriver

Couple from the holidays(Tenerife)

29069668264_64cfc15d82_c.jpgTenerife Raven by Vandriver, on Flickr

29069667084_d2fbaf96e1_c.jpgWestern Dappled White by Vandriver, on Flickr

29069667204_88cf96edd4_c.jpgBuzzard by Vandriver, on Flickr

Any butterfly experts?EDIT:my nerdy sister identified it.

• Advertisement

Doing a bit more walking and less photography lately as trying to get fit for a section of the Camino next week- so generally am only carrying a point & shoot and phone camera.
    There is a deserted/derelict fine old house on land near the Clonskeagh entrance to Belfield- word is that the property is owned by UCD.

To keep the grass under control they had used these experts:

29077220664_6524976ae9_b.jpggoats

But today I noticed that they has drafted in some new recruits!:)

29412823410_a4dc75c38b_b.jpghouse

29077521784_a228dbc065_b.jpghouse2

Not too sure whether they are Alpacas or Llamas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Alpacas. They are about half the size of a Llama. They can make good pets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Penguins with tags at south pole breed less.

Bird's Eye View

29415837780_ca47a6f7f6_b.jpgheron

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Was looking at a show on BBC few nights ago and they were putting big stupid collars on big cats, weighed a kilo and would fall off in a year or so and wouldn't interfere with them. A KILO!!!

They don't give a sh1t.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Was looking at a show on BBC few nights ago and they were putting big stupid collars on big cats, weighed a kilo and would fall off in a year or so and wouldn't interfere with them. A KILO!!!

They don't give a sh1t.

While I can't really comment since I'm not familiar with the tagging protocols and methods used with mammals, there's a 5% rule for birds where tags etc can't weigh more than 5% of the birds body weight (or less for some species). I can only assume there's something similar for mammals and big cats. Just a quick google and an adult Lion weighs around 130kg (female) or 190kg (male), so a 1kg tag would be less than 1% of the animals body weight.

Penguins with tags at south pole breed less.

Just reading an article and apparently its Penguins with flipper bands, not penguins with tags. The same scientist who found that flipper bands decrease productivity etc suggests that electronic tags are the better alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

[IMG][/img]29113696624_eb3d64b7cb_c.jpgRook and Sparrowhawk 1 by Rod Wilson, on Flickr

[IMG][/img]29115815633_c053a9a80c_c.jpgRook Mobbing Sparrowhawk 1 by Rod Wilson, on Flickr

[IMG][/img]29115815273_3439b10775_c.jpgRook Mobbing Sparrowhawk 2 by Rod Wilson, on Flickr

[IMG][/img]29113696864_7594841ec1_c.jpgRook Mobbing Sparrowhawk 3 by Rod Wilson, on Flickr

[IMG][/img]29115815493_bbd83a92e3_c.jpgRook Mobbing Sparrowhawk 4 by Rod Wilson, on Flickr

[IMG][/img]29113696694_95b2ce3c50_c.jpgRook Mobbing Sparrowhawk 5 by Rod Wilson, on Flickr

[IMG][/img]29113696504_3b6a166bf7_c.jpgRook Mobbing Sparrowhawk 6 by Rod Wilson, on Flickr

[IMG][/img]29115815393_44bc549f78_c.jpgRook Mobbing Sparrowhawk 7 by Rod Wilson, on Flickr

[IMG][/img]29115815093_211e030cf5_c.jpgRook Mobbing Sparrowhawk 8 by Rod Wilson, on Flickr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

2ep2afm.jpg
    p17wj.jpg
    242d2pu.jpg
    Update from farm
    Mowed the corncrake meadows today. One of the most imortant dates in the Calendar year. Can't leave mowing too late for fear of bad weather, waterlogged fields can make it impossible to mow. Mowing delayed till at least mid-September to safely cut meadows. The adult male crex have departed for Africa since late August. Late broods chicks and hens would still be present (my crex were late arriving). In coventional mowing you start on the outside and work towards the centre. Unfortunately for corncrake (who are reluctant to fly) they run away from mower towards the centre of field. The area of unmowed grass gets smaller and smaller. Eventually they are trapped in the centre and as the last swards of grass are cut, the corncrake get entangled in the mower's blades. When "corncrake mowing" you start from the centre and work out. The crex run away from the mower towards the safety of the field margins. The tractor must not exceed 10kph. In 1st photo you can see tractor guiding the crex towards the nettle beds. The second photo shows my fen (wet meadow) after it is cut. Important to get it cut yearly, not possible in some years due to waterlogged conditions. If fen left go rank, that seriously affects plant biodiversity. Last photo shows mowed meadow in foreground and nettle bed behind it. All cover areas: nettles/iris/hogweed will be used by crex till they leave for Africa (at the latest the beginning of October). The cover areas will the be mowed as well. Extremely important that meadows/cover areas are mowed once a year. If not the vegetation will lodge during the winter. Lodged/matted vegetation is generally not used by crex

Capercaillie

You are Superman:)

Capercaillie

You are Superman:)
    Superman perhaps not. Handy at planting nettles though

29762695415_9e7a146393_c.jpgHoverfly by niall.hirsch, on Flickr

Superman perhaps not. Handy at planting nettles though

Hi Capercaille, do you remove the cut vegetation and let it compost elsewhere?
    If it's done after the one cut a year more wild flowers appear and the grass gets thinner, also less invasive weeds appear as the ground gets less nutrient..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Small Tortoiseshell last night amongst the Marjoram and Mint in my herb garden

VMXnl7d.jpg?1

pegasus1 wrote: »
    Hi Capercaille, do you remove the cut vegetation and let it compost elsewhere?
    If it's done after the one cut a year more wild flowers appear and the grass gets thinner, also less invasive weeds appear as the ground gets less nutrient..
    I use the cut grass for silage and sell it. I use fertilizer and heavily fertilize my cover areas: iris/nettle/hogweed. I also heavily fertilising the margins of meadows, but leave central area unfertilizied. The fen gets no fertilizer, would not repond anyways.

' My nails are in an awful state'

29146406033_654382241f_o.jpgmoorhen

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭splish

Pale Butterwort Pinguicula lusitanica

19431689304_9fc54b230e_c.jpgPale Butterwort Pinguicula lusitanica by Ciarán Byrne, on Flickr

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Hotei

Shaggy Parasol

29151226013_25ce0976e9_c.jpg

Conifer Tuft

29079972484_f13548c089_c.jpg

Common Stinkhorn (Flies are attracted to its deathly aroma, and in turn help spread its spores):

29674434875_b691b219bc_c.jpg

Earthstar

29638753676_f016f2ce4c_c.jpg

A huge Parasol (I placed a €1 coin on its cap to give a sense of scale):

29709876081_4f1fc1ea4b_b.jpg

29756639336_96cc1c1985_c.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement