Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some pictures I took recently

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭gzoladz

keps wrote: »
    @Gustavo

Super photos-:)

Thanks keps 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

today

33215629614_c14f20b6d4_b.jpgdipper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Hotei

Yellowhammer

33080727343_43797b3ba4_b.jpg

33691390770_86f047e332_b.jpg

April shower

33684063060_8cb5a27933_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

33284040783_1ef61c781b_b.jpg

Queen and King...Fisher!

34058071966_b62d2ee64e_b.jpg

33968851311_d9cb75d14c_b.jpg

33968852481_dc000a09ba_b.jpg

33968821041_d20520a8f1_b.jpg

34098905305_e407e92613_b.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Nice of keps to loan them out to you. :)

whyulittle wrote: »

LOL!!! These were actually in "my" part the Dodder 😀

whyulittle wrote: »

To be honest - Gustavo has a much better 'hit' rate than me for Kingfisher photos on the Dodder.
    I had a few 'perches' sussed on the Liffey when I lived in Leixlip up to 8 months ago but am struggling to get decent photos here in the Milltown area - but I'm working on it by putting in the hours:)

To be honest - Gustavo has a much better 'hit' rate than me for Kingfisher photos on the Dodder.
    I had a few 'perches' sussed on the Liffey when I lived in Leixlip up to 8 months ago but am struggling to get decent photos here in the Milltown area - but I'm working on it by putting in the hours:)

The very first kingfisher I saw and photographed was introduced to me by keps, in St Catherine's park there in Leixlip!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

Was able to walk up to 5ft from this guy without him flinching. had only my phone but its not too bad. he/she is regularly there just hanging around

Today

'Like water off a Dipper's back'
    Big enlargement- hence pretty grainy

33959673262_453b48684c_b.jpgdipper

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭vandriver

Nice

This morning

33759046000_ae390c152a_b.jpgjust one more dipper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Hotei

Cuckoo Bumblebee
    This is a female cuckoo bumblebee, and one of six cuckoo bumblebee species in Ireland. This is a difficult one to identify for certain because the females of two separate species are very similar looking in the field, namely Bombus bohemicus (Gypsy cuckoo bumblebee) and Bombus vestalis (Vestal cuckoo bumblebee). Cuckoo bumblebees are so named because a female will lay her eggs in the nest of a true bumblebee, and the workers of this host species will raise the offspring of the cuckoo bumblebee.

33949538381_8437ebcaf0_b.jpg

33695044460_99f2235dbe_b.jpg

Honey bee Apis mellifera

33980399332_84aef2df55_b.jpg

33970987832_ffa851c805_b.jpg

Hoverflies
    Helophilus pendulus (Common Tiger Hoverfly) on the left, and Eristalis pertinax (Tapered Drone Fly) on the right.

34032858576_d3ce9340d9_b.jpg

Common Groundhopper (f) Tetrix undulata

33688336090_e05f533073_b.jpg

Green Shieldbug Palomena prasina

33229693914_9296c4ac34_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭mossie

Came across this little guy while I was cutting the lawn today. He's been around for the last 3 hours or so digging for food, and at one stage took a nap for an hour or so. Took absolutely no notice of me around the place but I didn't cut the lawn anywhere near him for safety,

@mossie

Hope it's ok health wise

Had one in my garden last year in Leixlip.
    It was groggy and tired -and dead within 24 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭mossie

@mossie

Hope it's ok health wise

Had one in my garden last year in Leixlip.
    It was groggy and tired -and dead within 24 hours

Seems fine was nosing around for ages, dozed for a while then back and active.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

34150788676_237a0536fa_b.jpg

34191494695_99ba7f0a92_b.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Kingfisher in the Dodder... I didn't see the male this time

34195899875_b725a9f121_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Regarding KingFishers..
    Sorry to bring this up again..
    We just had a speaker in the club and he has studied the kingfisher and has taken some amazing shots..
    He has said that if someone is caught by a wildlife ranger from the npws etc, one could be fined €5,000 and one just needs to be bear the nest.
    And he is not somebody random from a camera club he will be the next ipf chairman..
    You need a license in order to take pics of kingfishers..but still not disturb them.
    Just my 2 cts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

pegasus1 wrote: »
    Regarding KingFishers..
    We just had a speaker in the club and he has studied the kingfisher and has taken some amazing shots..
    He has said that if someone is caught by a wildlife ranger from the npws etc, one could be fined €5,000 and one just needs to be bear the nest.
    And he is not somebody random from a camera club he will be the next ipf chairman..
    You need a license in order to take pics of kingfishers..but still not disturb them.
    Just my 2 cts.
    Being that time of year again, it is worth reiterating that it is illegal, without a licence, to photograph any birds on or near their nests.

I don't think it's true to say you need a license to take a pic of a Kingfisher.

Nesting is a separate issue
    pegasus1 wrote: »
    Regarding KingFishers..

Just my 2 cts.

Being that time of year again, it is worth reiterating that it is illegal, without a licence, to photograph any birds on or near their nests.

Thanks, very timely reminder.

On the topic of the welfare of kingfishers, what seriously concerns me is the deployment of heavy machinery and construction work currently going on along the banks of the Dodder.

Between Clonskeagh and Ashton Pub they are building what seems to be a recreational path. Very welcome amenity, but the work represent significant disturbance to the birds.

Along the part of the river that goes through Herbert Park, again, a lot of construction work last year during the breeding season. They even knocked some of the banks down. 2 years ago there was a nest there, now all kingfishers are gone from the area.

Between Ballsbridge and the Aviva, work has been ongoing for +2 years. Again, no signs of the birds in the area.

And I could continue with other activities...for example why does the Dodder clean up need to take place in the middle of the breeding season (i.e.today), with loads of people walking on the banks, where the birds nest.

While the Wildlife Act ticks the box of protecting protected species against a specific type of disturbance, there are still many other serious threats that seem to remain unaddressed.

To add to Gustavo's concerns - when I was living near the Liffey in Lucan/Leixlip, the Canoe Club of Ireland( or some such organisation)was allowed to build a massive slalom run at the weir in Lucan.
    Obviously with the approval of the local council.

The construction took out one long established kingfisher nest- and totally disrupted wildlife in the locality.

A sense of perspective is needed.

gzoladz wrote: »

And I could continue with other activities...for example why does the Dodder clean up need to take place in the middle of the breeding season (i.e.today), with loads of people walking on the banks, where the birds nest.

While the Wildlife Act ticks the box of protecting protected species against a specific type of disturbance, there are still many other serious threats that seem to remain unaddressed.

BTW - it's not just on the Banks- there were guys in Scuba type gear wading their way up the River- from side to side.
    They do great work, no doubt, but why do it when the Dippers, Moorhens etc are breeding???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

BTW - it's not just on the Banks- there were guys in Scuba type gear wading their way up the River- from side to side.
    They do great work, no doubt, but why do it when the Dippers, Moorhens etc are breeding???

If you have specific locations and evidence of actually nests at risk, contact NPWS.

• Advertisement

If you have specific locations and evidence of actually nests at risk, contact NPWS.

I know that that the 'cleaner- uppers' were within 3 feet of a Dipper nest today-without knowing.
    But that was a one day exercise.

The Fishermen/women that I have seen on the Dodder since 17th March are very careless about wildlife and will wade in and have no interest in nests.

The issue is that some get animated about a long lens photo image( from people who care) - without considering what the real risks are( from those who don't)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement