Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi S-Tronic on TT/A5

Options
  • 20-07-2008 2:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Wondering whether the boards.ie faithful can clear something up. Does/Will Audi offer the S-Tronic gearbox (VW DSG) on the new TT TDI or the new A5 2.0 TDI (170bhp)? Or is it something to do with diesels that it is not on offer?

Many thanks

J

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Not sure why, but there are currently no plans to offer the A5 2.0TDi or TT 2.0TDi with any kind of automatic transmission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 jballantine

Thanks AudiChris for the rapid answer. Thats a pity, really was hoping for the DSG.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

it's because of the torque on the diesels. As seen in the new 7 speed dry clutch stronic in the A3, it is only available in the lower torque petrol engines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 jballantine

Sorry one more will any of the A5 models get the S-Tronic?

Sorry one more will any of the A5 models get the S-Tronic?

yep, S5 already has it. Will be available on all the petrols I would say.

• Advertisement

FYI, just received word from Audi Ireland that the A5 2.0TDi won't be produced until January, prob for Feb delivery.

If you're looking at an A5, go for the 1.8T.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

AudiChris wrote: »
    If you're looking at an A5, go for the 1.8T.
    And help Audi Ireland clear out the last stocks of a model that's due to be replaced by the more eco friendly(154 g/km (€290 road tax)vs 169 g/km(€430 road tax)), more powerful(by 10 bhp) and torquier(by 52 lb ft) 2.0 TFSI 180 bhp in the process:p!

I'd be going for the 2.0 TFSI 211 if I were buying an A5 though.

In all honesty, even though the 2.0TFSI's cleaner than the 1.8TFSI, there's not too many enquiries about it from the public. Irish people are still very "size" focussed when it comes to engines.

You'll have less depreciation on the 1.8T as well, I don't know if the 2.0T will command much of a premium second hand (although the lower road tax could start to figure at that stage).

It's like saying "buy the 320i, it's better than the 318i". You may be right, but the majority of Irish BMW buyers haven't followed with their wallets...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

I'm currently trying to convince my dad to buy the 2.0TFSI. Really looks like one of the engines of the year. Fast, great mpg, very green, very slick looking, low road tax - can't really go wrong!

In all honesty, even though the 2.0TFSI's cleaner than the 1.8TFSI, there's not too many enquiries about it from the public. Irish people are still very "size" focussed when it comes to engines.

You'll have less depreciation on the 1.8T as well, I don't know if the 2.0T will command much of a premium second hand (although the lower road tax could start to figure at that stage).

It's like saying "buy the 320i, it's better than the 318i". You may be right, but the majority of Irish BMW buyers haven't followed with their wallets...

I'd say that that is a lot more to do with the fact we're only 21 days into a completely new system, most people I've spoken to don't understand it at all and think bigger engine = higher taxes = dearer to run. I've been asking people have they thought about buying a diesel and the answer usually is along the lines of "no, look at the price of it and how much more expensive diesels are to buy than petrols". Then I point out that now they're only a few hundred quid more to buy and have lower road tax every year all of a sudden people are warming to the idea of diesel very quickly.

When we changed over to Euro from Pounds people were still thinking of things in Pounds and didn't understand Euro at all, but after a few months people switched over and thought in Euro straight away.

I'd say when people go out to buy a new car later on in the year for 09 delivery then people will concentrate on the thing and after a while we'll hear people saying "I want a car that pollutes no more than x g/km" rather than "I don't want anything bigger than a 1.6".

• Advertisement

thats the current 2.0TFSI though Chris, it is overpriced here relative to the1.8T especially considering the lower vrt rate. If they launch a 180bhp version presumably it will be around the same as the current 1.8T.

I'm with copacetic on this, a price gap of €6,300 is why people aren't interested in the 2.0T at the moment. I'd put a bet on that the 2.0 TFSI 180 bhp will be dearer than the 1.8T it will be replacing in spite of the lower VRT. It's still well worth it IMHO, lower running costs and all that extra torque. Had Audi not reduced the price of the 1.8T so much there would have been a lot more interest in the 2.0 TFSI IMHO, after all it is only a small bit dearer than the 1.8TFSI was before July. FWIW the 2.0 TFSI 180 is €4,000 cheaper in Germany than the 211 version, so I would reckon on a price gap of around €5,000, so yeah that means the 2.0TFSI 180 will be dearer than the 1.8TFSI 170 it will be replacing.

Also the 2.0 TDI is clearly going to interest a lot of people too.

E92 wrote: »
    I'd say when people go out to buy a new car later on in the year for 09 delivery then people will concentrate on the thing and after a while we'll hear people saying "I want a car that pollutes no more than x g/km" rather than "I don't want anything bigger than a 1.6".

I'd say buying for '09 will be a completely different perspective. We already have little efficiency ratings in all our cars similar to the ones on diswashers etc. People will become far more CO2 focussed than before definitely.

We're still 5 months from '09 and there's a lot of selling/buying/driving to do before then...
    copacetic wrote: »
    thats the current 2.0TFSI though Chris, it is overpriced here relative to the1.8T especially considering the lower vrt rate. If they launch a 180bhp version presumably it will be around the same as the current 1.8T.

I don't know the 180's availability or pricing so I'm not for or against it. I'm sure it'll be a brilliant engine. If it's availability is anything like the diesel, I wouldn't hold your breath for it.

E92 wrote: »
    I'm with copacetic on this, a price gap of €6,300 is why people aren't interested in the 2.0T at the moment. I'd put a bet on that the 2.0 TFSI 180 bhp will be dearer than the 1.8T it will be replacing in spite of the lower VRT. It's still well worth it IMHO, lower running costs and all that extra torque. Had Audi not reduced the price of the 1.8T so much there would have been a lot more interest in the 2.0 TFSI IMHO, after all it is only a small bit dearer than the 1.8TFSI was before July. FWIW the 2.0 TFSI 180 is €4,000 cheaper in Germany than the 211 version, so I would reckon on a price gap of around €5,000, so yeah that means the 2.0TFSI 180 will be dearer than the 1.8TFSI 170 it will be replacing.

Also the 2.0 TDI is clearly going to interest a lot of people too.

Yep, when the 2.0TDi's available, it's going to make a lot of this 1.8T vs 2.0T conversation moot - it'll be very popular!

Advertisement