Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

0-60 in 4.5 seconds

Options
  • 20-07-2008 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

So I was watching an old Top Gear on "Dave" this afternoon and they were 'reviewing' the new M5 as were. After pressing a button, Jeremy tells us that the car produces 507bhp and go from nought to sixty in 4.5 seconds, and I wonder how that's possible. An automatic wouldn't be able to change gears that quickly, nor would anyone with a manual gearbox, so is 4.5 seconds purely theoretical, or machine-driven or what? In normal circumstances, could you start the engine, drive forward and 4.5 seconds later, be doing 60?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

corblimey wrote: »
    In normal circumstances, could you start the engine, drive forward and 4.5 seconds later, be doing 60?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Lots of these high performance cars could hit sixty in first.

Was it not the M5 he started in fourth gear and it had no trouble at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There's a electric Mini that does that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

So I was watching an old Top Gear on "Dave" this afternoon and they were 'reviewing' the new M5 as were. After pressing a button, Jeremy tells us that the car produces 507bhp and go from nought to sixty in 4.5 seconds, and I wonder how that's possible. An automatic wouldn't be able to change gears that quickly, nor would anyone with a manual gearbox, so is 4.5 seconds purely theoretical, or machine-driven or what? In normal circumstances, could you start the engine, drive forward and 4.5 seconds later, be doing 60?

The autobox in the M5 can change gear quicker than you can blink your eyes. Oh and motors is over there >>>>>>

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭Duff

Think that was a Jag of some sort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Onkle wrote: »
    Oh and motors is over there >>>>>>
    (Sorry, yes, just noticed I posted this in AH by mistake. Can a mod move it?)

So if it says 0-60 in blah blah it really just means drive forward without gear changes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

god, don't drag all the motors trolls into after hours, we have enough here already

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

A bugatti veyron will hit 62mph in 2.5 seconds;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Onkle wrote: »
    The autobox in the M5 can change gear quicker than you can blink your eyes. Oh and motors is over there >>>>>>

<<<<<< And the Top Gear forum is over there.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Moved from After Hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,107 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

mukki wrote: »
    god, don't drag all the motors trolls into after hours, we have enough here already

oh the irony :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

starting the engnie and hitting sixty in 4.5 seconds would be impressive,hitting sixty in 4.5 seconds with the engine running and warmed up would be no porblem for the M5 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

Well you're not going to be running up through all the gears before you hit 60 now are you? 2 gear changes will do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Duff wrote: »
    Think that was a Jag of some sort.

I am pretty sure this was a Maserati Quattroporte.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

It was the Aston Martin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

all 0-60 figures are done in the best of situations, with the best fuel, best tyres, best of everything, When you think about it, every day joe sobe... about 6 seconds would be adverage to 6 in a m5... in good weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

thought it was a Jaguar XK220/XJ220 (dunno which is right!) that Topgear started in 4th and carried on in the same gear to a very high speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

colm_mcm wrote: »
    thought it was a Jaguar XK220/XJ220 (dunno which is right!) that Topgear started in 4th and carried on in the same gear to a very high speed?

It was definitely a Jaguar but I don't know which one. It was 0-135 all in fourth gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

It was a Jag alright, a Jag chassis that is that did 0-135 in 4th:D.

Let's see who knows their cars around here and can tell me what car it actually is:D!

The current M5 does NOT have an automatic gearbox either, contrary to what the OP said. It has a computer controlled manual gearbox. Sequential Manual Gearbox or SMG as BMW likes to call it.

BMW actually does offer its American customers a proper manual gearbox but for some reason decided that the rest of the world should only be allowed have a flappy paddle box.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

E92 wrote: »
    It was a Jag alright, a Jag chassis that is that did 0-135 in 4th:D.

Let's see who knows their cars around here and can tell me what car it actually is:D!

Was it the new Mustang?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

S.I.R wrote: »
    all 0-60 figures are done in the best of situations, with the best fuel, best tyres, best of everything, When you think about it, every day joe sobe... about 6 seconds would be adverage to 6 in a m5... in good weather.

It's calculated differently by different manufacturers, some do the run with half a tank of fuel with a driver and passenger on board, and it's usually 0-100 kph which is 62mph. Others do it with little fuel and just the driver.
    An M5 will hit 60mph all day every day in less then 5.5 seconds, there a hot hatches that will hit 60 in 6 seconds these days.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Neilw wrote: »
    It's calculated differently by different manufacturers, some do the run with half a tank of fuel with a driver and passenger on board, and it's usually 0-100 kph which is 62mph. Others do it with little fuel and just the driver.
    An M5 will hit 60mph all day every day in less then 5.5 seconds, there a hot hatches that will hit 60 in 6 seconds these days.

agree, my old integra trpe R hit 100kmph (62mph) in 6.2 seconds according the apexi RSM fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

It was definitely a Jaguar but I don't know which one. It was 0-135 all in fourth gear.

Youre wrong, it was an aston martin DB7 GT.

Its here
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=YGJ4L6iCoaI

Advertisement