Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sign posts

• 20-07-2008 3:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

Can anyone explain me to me how signpost distances are measured? From Cork to Dublin, say, the first distance signpost you see on the N8 is something like 235km. I assume it's from that sign but to where in Dublin? And is that along the roads or rough estimate? As they bypass more and more midland towns, is somebody going around subtracting (or in the case of sodding Dungarvan, adding) kilometres to these signs?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

They're measured in kilometres man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I heard once that these distances are measured Post Office to Post Office where available, but I'm not sure how valid the claim is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

corblimey wrote: »
    From Cork to Dublin, say, the first distance signpost you see on the N8 is something like 235km. I assume it's from that sign but to where in Dublin?
    The GPO.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Duff wrote: »

Why thanks to thee my good sir.
    I aim to please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Why worry about the accuracy? It's a tolerance of 50 km in Kerry, give or take. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

The GPO.

Ah, that makes some sort of sense, I guess. For Dublin. I wonder which PO they use for measuring distances to say Rosslare??? The first p/o built? The biggest? The only one actually still operating as a p/o these days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

corblimey wrote: »
    Ah, that makes some sort of sense, I guess. For Dublin. I wonder which PO they use for measuring distances to say Rosslare??? The first p/o built? The biggest? The only one actually still operating as a p/o these days?

The "head" post office or GPO or if there is only 1 post office thats the one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,286 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

On the N25 between Waterford and Cork you pass a sign saying it is 53km to Cork and about 5km later there is another sign saying it is 57km to Cork? What the ****

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

there are signposts on this island :D good one

seriously i do not know how anybody but locals find their way around this country, has to be the worst signposted place on earth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

On the N25 between Waterford and Cork you pass a sign saying it is 53km to Cork and about 5km later there is another sign saying it is 57km to Cork? What the ****

What tends to happen is that towns are bypassed and the sign along the whole are not upgraded/revised to reflect the new distance to be tarvelled. It happens all over the country and isn't going to change any time soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

To be honest, the use of kilometres to measure distance is a bit disappointing. A real Irish solution would be for a sign saying "Dublin - at least half an hour, Navan - the guts of an hour, Cork - ages"

Most people don't seem to have a clue of distances anyway. They measure everything in minutes (rounded off to the nearest half hour).

Advertisement