Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

help - sound system advice wanted

• 20-07-2008 5:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

Folks I'm looking for advice on a home cinema setup. I'm basing the setup on a media centre server using media extenders. I've ran cat 6 cabling everywhere for access but what I need some direction with is the sound. Any suggestions? I'd like some sort of surround sound for the living room area. I plan to use a projector for movies and 42" plasma for general TV. I can hide any amount of cabling as the build is in the very early stages. ANy suggestions that might optimise the use of the media centre setup would be of interest. Looking forward to your responses....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pablo21

Anybody? Anything?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

I'm moving this from DIY, Some more detail might help prompt a response..............

You say you need direction on the sound - what exactly do you want to achieve ? If you want a home cinema sound system for your living room, what kind of budget do you have in mind ? Are you sensitive about the size of speakers, do you want them out of sight, in-wall ? What sources will you be using ? Is it just material piped from your server or will you be using set-top box(es), dvd player, games consoles ?

Ritz.

I've ran multiple cat 6 points to every room to allow me use my media centre with media extenders in each area. My living room will use both a Projector and screen for movies and a 42" Plasma for non movie use. These will be driven off the extenders. What I'm looking for is as follows...

If I pick a location for the extender, what cables to I need to run for sound to this point? I'm guessing some class of speaker cable of a certain level of quality for Bass, mid range, surround etc. I'm a networks man, not a sound man so this is where I'm looking for suggestions.I'm open to any options or methods of doing this. Speakers can be recessed or wall mounted I dont mind, its your ides I'm after!! Budget isnt an issue, I just want something nice so all suggestions greatly appreciated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

hi,

I am going to give you my set-up

For an amp I have an Onkyo-605,quite simply the the best amp for money you can buy.
    I think it was about 500-550 euro
    I dont know how they make money on these as when you break down whats in them its unbelievable value.
    Some people say they got hit with an ugly stick but its fine for me...

The next is speakers,
    Again totally dependent on yourself,small...big....silver.... black

For small,people talk big about KEFs

I personally wanted Big so I got a 5.1 Jamo system

I think they cost about 1000euro for all 5 but defo worth it,not many retailers around selling them in dublin but you can find them

If you need any help give me a shout

Hope this helps

Kev, May thanks for your advice! I've googled the products you have mentioned there and they look very good! I want to bury most of the cabling and maybe wall mount the speakers. What sort of cabling do those systems use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

pablo21 wrote: »
    Kev, May thanks for your advice! I've googled the products you have mentioned there and they look very good! I want to bury most of the cabling and maybe wall mount the speakers. What sort of cabling do those systems use?

I just use a normal wiring system,no bi-wiring,bi-amping or anything else like that

again if you need a hand PM me,I have done it all before I know where it could go wrong and where it can go right

Thanks for your advice Kev. Is there a particular brand or spec of cabling I should use? Will the one type feed all speakers etc? All help greatly appreciated!

Advertisement