Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opinions on 2004 Honda Accord CTDi

Options
  • 20-07-2008 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭

Hi guys/gals, just wondering has anyone on here got a 2004 Honda Accord CTDi? Thinking of buying one over, its either that or a 2004 A4 Tdi.What mpg can i expect to get from the Honda, what goes wrong with them etc.I'm thinking being a Honda they're fairly bulletproof? Also whats the timing chain replacement interval, 100k miles? Thanks! Alan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Timing chain's don't need replacement.

The only thing to look out for is evidence of oil changes - on or before time. They can only take Castrol Edge 0w30 and can consume a bit between services, if they're run low for a long period of time, you'll be putting a new engine in - but you'll hear some nasty noises coming from the engine if any damage has been done.

They can go through rear anti-roll bar bushings and oe brake pads will only last for 30-40k miles.

Apart from that, they give virtually no trouble!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I know from past threads that they are one of the most liked cars on these boards and invariably praised for, among other things, looks, equipment, build quality and reliability. Try the search function.

Only thing is the boot isn't as big as the Octavia. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

They can only take Castrol Edge 0w30
    Are you sure? Unlike of Honda mandate a non-Honda oil, especially when they have stuff like 0W20 themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

ive that exact model and its been trouble free. i use the 0W30 oil, but mine rarely needs top up between service. I get about 50 - 55mpg on it and i find it an extremly comfortable and well spec'd car. The turbo is smooth and i adjusted my driving style so i overtake cars more in 4th or 5th gear, not needing to change down much.

Solid car. Id recommed em.

[Edit]heres the thread i had when deciding on my accord over a year ago.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055075788

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Good motors these. I brought one in the uk (2.2cdti) recently and sold it on. Landed and VRT'd and all for €10,800 - a lot of car for decent money.
    i'd have one over an A4.
    As Stated, make sure you get one with a comprehensive and checkable service history.

• Advertisement

JHMEG wrote: »
    Are you sure? Unlike of Honda mandate a non-Honda oil, especially when they have stuff like 0W20 themselves.
    The stuff in the honda garages is just re-labelled castrol edge. I'm 99% sure it's 0w30, it could be 5w30 - I'll check tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

ive that exact model and its been trouble free. i use the 0W30 oil, but mine rarely needs top up between service. I get about 50 - 55mpg on it and i find it an extremly comfortable and well spec'd car. The turbo is smooth and i adjusted my driving style so i overtake cars more in 4th or 5th gear, not needing to change down much.
    Solid car. Id recommed em.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055075788

I see you got one with the cream interior, lovely motor by the way. Do you find it hard to keep clean? I know it depends on where you work, walk etc and someone like a farmer might find it hard to keep clean compared to others!

I'm will be buying a 05/06 diesel Accord in the new year in the UK, (i can save about 10g plus from looking at the prices on carzone:eek:) but i'm not too sure about the cream interior. I'm leaning more towards the all black leather one instead as it might be easier to keep clean. An opinions about it or does it make that much difference do you think???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

alo1587 wrote: »
    Hi guys/gals, just wondering has anyone on here got a 2004 Honda Accord CTDi? Thinking of buying one over, its either that or a 2004 A4 Tdi.What mpg can i expect to get from the Honda, what goes wrong with them etc.I'm thinking being a Honda they're fairly bulletproof? Also whats the timing chain replacement interval, 100k miles? Thanks! Alan.

The Accord is a much better car than the A4. And it'll be cheaper. Go for it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Funny how peoples opinions vary from territory to territory. In the UK a Honda Accord is perceived very much as a OAP's vehicle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Funny how peoples opinions vary from territory to territory. In the UK a Honda Accord is perceived very much as a OAP's vehicle.

Yep, in the northern half of Ireland the country folk can't see past Volkswagen, in the southern half the country folk seem to be Toyota heads. In D4 it's probably BMW! :)

• Advertisement

The stuff in the honda garages is just re-labelled castrol edge. I'm 99% sure it's 0w30, it could be 5w30 - I'll check tomorrow!

0w30

Hmmm. I'm looking at a bottle of 0W20 right now and it says specially made for Honda by Exxon Mobil.

I don't doubt you - I googled it and can only find references for this oil over the other side of the atlantic (maybe more suited to colder climates?)

Having pdi'd a fair few accord's, I can vouch that they all came with a litre of SLX/Edge 0w30 in the boot. The garage also stocked it especially for the accords (and the occasional diesel civic that came through the doors.)

Granted 0W20 is only used by Honda and only in the Insight and Civic IMA, but it's the only Honda brand oil that I've in the house.

Googling it, I think Ford USA use it in some cars as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

The 2004 was the first time the diesel appeared, I think it gave some minor trouble and odd mpg figures, no auto available in diesel either, have a look on honestjohn.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭alo1587

Thanks for all the replies lads!:)

Advertisement