Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boarding Kennels

• 20-07-2008 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Does anyone know of a really good boarding kennel around the Dublin, Meath, Kildare areas? Been to Best Kennels in Garristown and the owner was extremely rude. Kennels are only open for inspection 6 times a year he said. He was very unhelpful and told us to beware of kennels that allow you in to inspect, which sounds completely daft and against all reasonable advise given on visiting kennels. I would really appreciate any info. Have been to the Active Care kennells in Meath and was shocked at the dreariness of the place and more shocked as it is supposedly run by a consortium of vets. Am looking for a home from home where dogs have their own outside run and at least can see daylight. Any advice would be great for my two moggies!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Spica

I never used them but I heard they're really good
    http://www.happyhounds.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Juliet

Thanks Spica! I'm going to visit them tomorrow. Lady sounded very nice on the phone. Let you know hoe it goes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭who's yer one?

Wenden Kennels, in Rockbrook, Rathfarnham. the owner is an animal behaviour counsellor, and really great with animals. my dog loves people, but has the Worst separation anxiety, we've left him up there the odd time and he's perfectly content up there. loves it. the kennelling service tends to book out fast so i'd plan well in advance if you're going with them, but i think that's a good sign, that they're so in demand :D

Thanks a mill Who's Yer One!! I'll definately check them out too. And they're quite close as I'm in Clontarf.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭MissyN

Hi Juliet
    Can you please tell me what happened with the guy in Best Kennels as I was going to book my little girl in with them and believe me I've been talking myself into it for the last few months cos I'm terrified of leaving her somewhere and her not being looked after well and I've searched RELENTLESSLY on the net to find a good kennels. I haven't been outside the country in 3 years cos shes so precious to me and when I saw your thread saying that the guy was rude I was devastated to say the least. Pls spare no detail on what happened. Thanks a mill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SMK

Have a look at http://www.irps.ie/index.html

I've left my cats there and was very happy. It was obvious the owner had spent time with the cats cos she had gotten to know them and knew their characteristics and quirks by the time I collected them after two weeks!

A couple of friends leave their dogs there and are also happy. One dog in particular recognises the place when they turn into it and knows where he's going. He charges out of the car and runs straight to the owner! A good sign!

Hi MissyN! Yes I was very annoyed and put out myself. I had tried to phone him a few times before I headed down but he always has the answering machine on. So I headed down on Saturday and arrived around 2. When I explained that I wanted to check out the kennels he replied 'Absolutely not!' and asked had I checked out his website which of course I had. Then he asked me 'What do you hear?' I said nothing as it was very quiet and he was delighted with my reply - he said 'Exactly', his point being that the dogs were contented and he didn't want them disturbed. I understood that and asked when I could return. He said he held open days 6 times a year - so I said - no problem - I wanted to find a good place for my dogs first and would work a holiday around that. So I asked when in October and he said he didn't know yet. He asked me when I wanted to board my dogs and I explained that initially if I was happy with the place I wanted to leave them for a night or two to see how they got on. He replied that was not a good idea and it wouldn't make any difference to the dogs as they had no concept of time. I'm not sure I agreed with him but leaving that aside he did not offer to show me the exterior of the kennels nor did he bother to take my number. He told me he was booked out and would be booked out again at Christmas. Reading between the lines he didn't need the business. But what really annoyed me was he then proceeded to smugly say 'Beware of kennels that allow you in to check them' which to me sounded totally daft. I understood the bit about not disturbing the dogs but there was no recognition of the fact that I was a caring owner who was bothering to ensure that I found a good kennels for them. He is certainly no 'person lover' although he might be a dog one. His kennels might be very good but I needed to SEE THEM. I will go to the open day, that's if I can find out when it's on but he is not a nice person.

Am visiting a few others tomorrow so I'll post up what I find. Good luck in your hunt!

Thanks SMK! That's great to know as would you believe I have an appointment to check them out tomorrow!

My God Juliet, its a disaster isn't it?? I'm in the exact same position as you and just want a nice place with nice people to look after my dogs. I'm not flush with cash at all but with something like this money just isn't an issue. I wanted to do the exact same thing as you and leave my girl in kennels for one night and see how she was then and build it up to maybe 3 or 4 nights. It could take me a few years to build up to a full week!!

Sounds like you're doing a tour of the kennels !! What type of dogs do you have? I have a beautiful collie cross. Spoilt rotten of course !!

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭cobweb

I find Hollygrove Kennels on Lyons Estate road in Newcastle very good, my parents have left their dogs there a few times

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

Maybe there was a "clash of personality" with the man in Best Kennels? I've lived my whole life less than a quarter mile from there and they seem to be very nice people from what dealings my family and myself have had with them since they came to the area a couple of years ago. They are true dog lovers and are always exercising their dogs in their front field.
    I spoke with that man last winter when he came out to help me with a puncture at night in his gateway and he was very nice. My Auntie (not from the area) has also had dealings with best kennels and was very impressed, and she is very particular about her dog! The people at the kennels were not aware that she was related to us so they weren't just "being nice to the neighbours".
    I am not friends with these people and I don't even know their name but myself and my mother have spoken to them and found them lovely.

I'm very sorry that you had a bad experience Julliet but I wouldn't like to leave this thread one-sided.

I'm really glad to have read your thread Rory. I'm extremely particular about my dog and would love to be able to leave my dog with true dog lovers and if you say you've seen these people walking their dogs in the fields many times then that sounds good. I'm hoping that Juliet maybe got the man on a busy day or something like that.

That's good MissyN!
    I don't mean to take away from Juliet's bad experience, it's never nice to have to deal with rudeness.

From what I see passing the place, they are always doing some sort of doggy-orientated activities. :)

I do think its a bit silly of him to have been rude to Juliet cos she was a potential customer and bad reviews travel quicker than good ones but its so wonderful to read about them doing lots of doggie activities. That would give me great peace of mind. My girl is so precious to me yenno...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Have you thought about having a pet sitter to your home? PM me for info of people who have done so and have been really happy..aswell as their pets!;)

MissyN wrote: »
    I do think its a bit silly of him to have been rude to Juliet cos she was a potential customer and bad reviews travel quicker than good ones ...

I completely agree!

Well I've just come back from Irish Rosettes Kennels near Lusk and what a difference! The lady showed me around the kennels and cattery and they were spotless. Some of the dogs were being exercised in the field and all the dogs I saw in enclosed kennels were very happy and waggy tailed! Unfortunately the lady's husband took sick yesterday, is in hospital and she doesn't want to take medium to large sized dogs in the interim, only small ones for the moment until her husband returns to health. There was a lovely homely atmosphere there - but unfortunately I'll have to keep looking. She did recommend All Paws near The Naul to me so I'll visit them when I can get an appointment.

Also dropped into Lissenhall Kennels, Swords - I had used them a long time ago and had mixed views about them especially as they lost my cat! There was no one in the kennell area but from what I could see the dogs' living quarters are very small - the individual runs are not very large either so I'll give that one a miss.

MissyN - I have a collie cross and a smaller terrier mix dog - both rescue ones. The collie is deaf but a big softy, hilarious but an absolute rogue. That's gas that you have a collie as well. They're real comapnions aren't they?

Thanks for what you posted Rory123 and MissyN. There was no clash of personalities between me and the owner of Best Kennels. The kennels had been recommended to me by my veterinary nurse. I had tried over a week to phone but it always went through to an answering machine so I thought I'd take a trip out. I wasn't pushy - I explained I was in no hurry to make a booking but just wanted to find a place I was happy with for my dogs. There was no problem about me not being able to view the kennels there and then, I just wanted to make an appointment for some time in the future. I think it was the fact that I wasn't initially going to leave them for a particular duration that may have prevented him from making a definate arrangement. He was totally against leaving the dogs in a kennel for a night or two to see how things go. Plus the fact that I'd say he had all the business he needed for the rest of the summer! I just found he could have been nicer and a lot more constructive to myself and my partner, not even because we were prospective clients but because we love our dogs and want to do what's best for them.

Keep you posted on my travels this week!

anniehoo wrote: »
    Have you thought about having a pet sitter to your home? PM me for info of people who have done so and have been really happy..aswell as their pets!;)

Thanks Anniehoo!

Yes I did consider a pet sitter. I know some of the veterinary nurses in UCD Vet Hospital sometimes petsit while owners are on holidays but to be honest I felt it would be a lot of trouble. |I was afraid the dogs would get out - the terrier has a habit of bolting for the door when it's open and I live near a main road. So I discounted it. Hopefully I'll find some place.

cobweb wrote: »
    I find Hollygrove Kennels on Lyons Estate road in Newcastle very good, my parents have left their dogs there a few times

Thanks Cobweb. Going to see them tomorrow. It does sound really good.

Hi Juliet, why do you need to keep looking if you thought the kennels in Lusk were great?? I love collie crosses. They are so bright aren't they? I talk to my girl a lot (please excuse me if that sounds nuts) but she knows lots of words cos of this and I can say full sentences to her and its so funny when she understands exactly what I'm saying. How long were you thinking of going away for when you do manage to find somewhere for the doggies?

• Advertisement

MissyN wrote: »
    Hi Juliet, why do you need to keep looking if you thought the kennels in Lusk were great?? I love collie crosses. They are so bright aren't they? I talk to my girl a lot (please excuse me if that sounds nuts) but she knows lots of words cos of this and I can say full sentences to her and its so funny when she understands exactly what I'm saying. How long were you thinking of going away for when you do manage to find somewhere for the doggies?

Like I said the lady in Lusk is not taking any more dogs as her husband, who ran the place, is in hospital and will be out of action for quite some time. She may take small dogs in the future but that's it unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 tuxa

Sad to hear the kennel owner was that rude to you Juliet.
    Bit strange as well...he should had invited you back another time when the dogs were not resting. I hope he has nothing to hide...
    Most places I called had no problem about having me dropping off to take a look...
    By the way, i am going on holidays as well and I am looking for a good kennel for my dog. Maybe a kennel that allows him to play with other dogs in the day time...
    If anyone knows any place around north Dublin please le me know...
    My dog is a a good size Lab who loves t play with other dogs.
    Any sugestion will be sooooo welcome...
    tuxa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MacFinn

Hi - there is a lot of debate on good kennels so can anyone provide a recent recommendation... I spoke with the chap from Best and he appeared thorough and dedicated on the phone but again I was not able to view the place as they have select open days a few times per year. I also tried to discuss arrangements with Deutsche Kennels who appear very formal. Yes my dogs are my mates but his phone manner was very dismissive and pointed out with 50 dogs to look after they would be part of the rota and if expected anything else then their service wasn't for them. I also travelled to a place near Carton House and the girl was lovely but the place very gloomy. I just want a knowledgable, clean, bright place with a bit of personality as the dogs are not robots.... can someone suggest? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭kazza23

My two go to the Canine Country Club near Straffan. The kennels themselves are a little dreary, but they have a great big run for the dogs to play in, and I go by my dogs reactions.... When we arrive there and they realise where they are they're chomping at the bit to try to get in the door. They don't give me a backwards glance (charming eh?!!!!) The dogs are groomed daily and always come out looking well and very happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I sent my dog to Happy Hound a couple of times and was happy with it; however, they're not good about keeping contact.

They send out a circular text every day telling you how happy your dog is; this is just done using a list of the dogs that are there, however. (I got one while I was looking at my dog sitting beside me!!)

Last time she was there, I was calling all three numbers and texting and emailing and getting *no* answers from any of these requests when she wasn't arriving back. I was about to get into my car and go to Cavan to investigate when the van turned up.

The driver asked "Which is your dog?" and let her out, and she raced in, peed for a long time and pooed - obviously having been holding it far too long (this was late afternoon and she's a morning poo-er normally), and then ran to her water and drank and drank and drank. She reeked of that 'kennel' smell.

I tried for several days to get in contact with the owners and find out what had happened, and never succeeded.

Now, when she was there before it was different; she came back calm and happy and brushed and smelling all right. This was a once-off. But I was worried by the fact that I never got any explanation of why I couldn't contact them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

luckat wrote: »
    I sent my dog to Happy Hound a couple of times and was happy with it; however, they're not good about keeping contact.

They send out a circular text every day telling you how happy your dog is; this is just done using a list of the dogs that are there, however. (I got one while I was looking at my dog sitting beside me!!)

Last time she was there, I was calling all three numbers and texting and emailing and getting *no* answers from any of these requests when she wasn't arriving back. I was about to get into my car and go to Cavan to investigate when the van turned up.

The driver asked "Which is your dog?" and let her out, and she raced in, peed for a long time and pooed - obviously having been holding it far too long (this was late afternoon and she's a morning poo-er normally), and then ran to her water and drank and drank and drank. She reeked of that 'kennel' smell.

I tried for several days to get in contact with the owners and find out what had happened, and never succeeded.

Now, when she was there before it was different; she came back calm and happy and brushed and smelling all right. This was a once-off. But I was worried by the fact that I never got any explanation of why I couldn't contact them.

There are two Happy Hounds, so its important they don't get confused. You are obviously talking about the one in Cavan, whereas the post early in this thread was on about the one in County Meath, which I've only ever heard very positive things about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I know this may be too far for some but (I know I sound like a parrot at this stage) the parents had their dog in kennels for the first time ever (they have had her for 5 years since she was a pup and never left her with anyone but me before but we were away at the time too) they parents are so ridiculously fussy now I'm fussy with my pooches but they are ott fussy.
    They had rung around a few places but I heard so many good things about Yuppi Puppie I said why not try them.

They were very happy with the service, very helpful and friendly over the phone, she had no problem with them viewing the place and the dog was totally fine followed her around all day like she does at home. Small dogs are kept in the house larger dogs have their own area.

Only thing is I think your dog must get on with other dogs she has a website anyway with all the info.

All I can say if my parents fussy spoilt pooch had a good time and was perfectly fine there and they were happy with the place then it's worth checking out.

I've been to lots of kennels. I was very disappointed that the owner of Best Kennels wouldn't even let me set up an appointment to view the place nor would he tell me the dates of the open days. I would not leave my dogs anywhere I hadn't vetted and if he was a real concerned kennel owner he would appreicate and understand that.

I've also visited the Canine Country club and was horrified at the conditions there. The stench was almost unbearable and there were a huge number of dogs in what I would call dark cells. I think it really depends on what you are looking for and if you want the kennel environment to be as close to what the dogs are used to as possible. Kilmessan Kanine Kennels were very clean and airy. All Paws in the Naul was very nice too. although the pens are in a barn like structure and are a little dated. The location is lovely though and the dogs have a large green area to run in. I've visited Happy Hounds in Tara, Meath and thought the place was ok, clean but a little on the small side.

Don't touch Lissenhall. I spoke to one of the women there and she admitted that the dogs never get out to a run and their units are tiny. it's a nightmare and I haven't really found the right place yet but am still looking. Grateful for any pointers.

I finally took a holiday after having my dog for 3 and a half years and I used All Paws. They were good but your dog has to be a perfectly behaved as they are unable to cope with anything else. My dog was barking a bit when we got there and the owner of the All Paws looked paniced but the kennels were very clean.

Juliet I know you had a very bad conversation with the guy from Best Kennels but I have heard great things about the place and he's actually right to not let people willy nilly pop in and out to view the place cos I went to the Canine Country Club and it was HAYHEM. Total chaos. And it made me think that the Best Kennels guy is right to keep things peaceful and relaxed in his place. I'm definitely gonna use them next year.

• Advertisement

Good to hear you got a break. I agree with your assessment of All Paws but it and Kilmessan Kennels were the only two I saw that I would use and only if I really needed to. I definitely wouldn't use Best Kennels unless I viewed the kennels first and there is no notification on the website of the open day the owner was supposed to have. I suspect that he'll only have one when he needs the business but I'm not leaving my dogs in a place I haven't vetted (if you pardon the pun). I'm just not going away at the moment but I'm going to check out Wenden kennels in Rathfarnham this week. Have you heard anything about them? It's difficult, isn't it, getting the right place.

Advertisement