Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boarding Kennels

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭MissyN

Juliet wrote: »
    Good to hear you got a break. I agree with your assessment of All Paws but it and Kilmessan Kennels were the only two I saw that I would use and only if I really needed to. I definitely wouldn't use Best Kennels unless I viewed the kennels first and there is no notification on the website of the open day the owner was supposed to have. I suspect that he'll only have one when he needs the business but I'm not leaving my dogs in a place I haven't vetted (if you pardon the pun). I'm just not going away at the moment but I'm going to check out Wenden kennels in Rathfarnham this week. Have you heard anything about them? It's difficult, isn't it, getting the right place.

Where is Kilmessan Kennels? I haven't heard anything about Wenden at all so can't help you there. It's EXTREMELY difficult to find a good kennels and i was in bits the weeks before I went away hoping that my dog would be ok. I honestly was thinking that I mite cancel the holiday as I was so distressed and I only went away for 4 nites !! I rang All Paws everyday and in fairness to them they always were available but I think they got so sick of my calls and my needing reassurance that my little girl was ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Juliet

I'd be the very same. I visited Kilmessan Kanine Kennels about 2 months ago. They're in Kilmessan, Co. Meath - I think it's along the Trim rd. Anyway, the lady was extremely nice. She's a founder member of the Irish Dog Grooming Assoc. and there were lots of beautiful pedigree dogs there. I got a good feeling about the place. It was really well landscaped and extremely clean, spacious too. But like you, I've been putting off leaving them. I'll have to do it for an overnight first and see how they get on. I've a wedding coming up the end of November so I've no choice. This one was probably top of my list and she has lots of experience with dogs.

I'll keep you posted on my visit to Wenden Kennels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭4red

I've been using Wenden Kennels in Rathfarnham for years and never had any problems. The staff are very thorough and caring. The kennels themselves though are exposed to the outside air (stable-block type) and as my dog gets older I might worry about him being cold in the winter. It's expensive at 20 euro a night and is always full up which I suppose is a good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭mohenley

hi

does anyone have any experience o fP&E boarding kennels in crumlin at all. looking for somewhere for my blind terrirer for 2 weeks in nov.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭sral1

Have a look at www.ibkca.com
    mohenley wrote: »
    hi
    Have a look at www.ibkca.com all good kennels/catteries in the one site :):):)
    does anyone have any experience o fP&E boarding kennels in crumlin at all. looking for somewhere for my blind terrirer for 2 weeks in nov.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Our guy stayed at Best Kennels in May and they were brilliant with him. They were recommended by the girls at Dog Training Ireland and that was all I needed - they take brilliant care of him when he's there for daycare so I knew he'd be taken care of if they were recommending the kennels. He'd just gotten lame in the weeks coming up to his stay and I was really worried that it'd be a problem cos he needed medication but it was fine. Also the fact that he was 10 months old had me feeling really guilty for leaving my little baba but Declan assured me on the phone that they'd give him loads of attention and he'd be on their vip puppy program! A text the following evening to say he had settled in without any problems put my mind at ease. They gave him loads of attention when he was there and even groomed him - he was in brilliant form when we collected him and was really chilled out. He was in the vets the next morning for xrays and the vet even commented on how happy and relaxed he was and he even let her pet him - before that he was really nervous in the vets.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Juliet

Yes I had indeed heard good things of Best Kennels and paid a visit to check them out. I spoke to the owner outside the house and he said we couldn't look around the kennels as it would disturb the dogs. This was perfectly understandable and being a total animal lover and a concerned dog owner I said that was no problem and asked if I could make an appointment to see the kennels at any time that suited him. He said he wasn't showing them and said there would be an open day at some stage in the future.

I asked when that was and he said he wasn't sure but to look on the website. Now in my book, if he was more of an animal lover than a business man he would have welcomed dog owners who checked out kennels first before leaving their pets in an unknown environment. He didn't even take my name so I deduced he didn't need the business. and simply wasn't interested in me.

I certainly would not leave my dogs with someone of such attitude no matter how good the kennels are supposed to be, which I might add, is only hearsay and will remain only hearsay as I never got to see them.

hi does anyone have any experience of either ballymore boarding kennels or Blackberry Kennels? They are both quite close to me in Newbridge and would be handy for dropping him off and picking him up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ainemoran

Hi,

This is the first time i have used this online boards but i just felt i had to let people know how disgusted i was with Declan, the owner of Best Kennels recently.

I like most people am quite particular about where I board my Dog Wiggles and was delighted when she seemed to love Best kennels where she has been boarding for the last year. Even though it is a little bit more expensive (€20 per day) then some other kennels, the drop off times (9am or 5pm) are very restricting and I am still waiting for the ever promised open day, I felt the fact that Wiggles doesn't even look back when I drop her off and is always seems happy and well looked after when I return to pick her up, that this was the right place for her.

About two weeks ago I rang to book her in for a weekend (from Friday 5pm to Sunday 5pm). I wanted to pay in advance so just ask to confirm the price would be for two days as it was just 48hours. The Owner Declan said no it was three days. I didn't understand and asked quite nicely if she wasn't getting the services of three days then why should i pay for them. He said that was the way they did things and if money was my concern I could look around for cheaper kennels. As i knew that Wiggles loved the place I said i would go ahead with it anyway and he just repeated what he said about other cheaper kennels. I asked was there some problem with taking the booking and he said he would have to give it some thought. I pressured him for an answer as I was going on holidays later that day and could not wait. I said that i know Wiggles loved the place and they took good care of her and i was more then willing to pay the price as i knew it was the right place for her. He said given my concerns he would not accept my dog and rung up the phone before i had a chance to reply.

Needless to say, i was taken aback and quite upset really. Firstly, i didnt think in this day and age that there would be any problem with quiering a price and secondly to have the phonecall ended in such a manner.

I immediately rang back the kennel to say how upset i was and how unprofessional he had been to hang up the phone on me but he would not answer the phone. I left a message but as you can guess i have not heard anything to date.

I am just disgusted to think that people can be treated like this without any recourse. I really think he should re-address his customer services as said before bad reviews travel faster then good ones. Also he has lost a good customer and a dog that they were always raving about how easy she was to take care of.

Was delighted to hear i'm not the only one who feels they have recieved rude treatment from Declan. Seemed to me like he had enough business that he didn't care about whether i remained a customer or not. I hope it stays that way for him or this could come back to bite him in the a**.

wow, that is terrible service! I certainly won't be going there.

• Advertisement

The kennels I use would consider this a 3 day stay as well, friday,saturday and sunday. however if you check out before lunch sunday it would be 2 days. But their system allows the 3 day weekend to go to monday morning pick up. Some kennels don't open on Sundays at all. :(
    ainemoran wrote: »
    Hi,

This is the first time i have used this online boards but i just felt i had to let people know how disgusted i was with Declan, the owner of Best Kennels recently.

I like most people am quite particular about where I board my Dog Wiggles and was delighted when she seemed to love Best kennels where she has been boarding for the last year. Even though it is a little bit more expensive (€20 per day) then some other kennels, the drop off times (9am or 5pm) are very restricting and I am still waiting for the ever promised open day, I felt the fact that Wiggles doesn't even look back when I drop her off and is always seems happy and well looked after when I return to pick her up, that this was the right place for her.

About two weeks ago I rang to book her in for a weekend (from Friday 5pm to Sunday 5pm). I wanted to pay in advance so just ask to confirm the price would be for two days as it was just 48hours. The Owner Declan said no it was three days. I didn't understand and asked quite nicely if she wasn't getting the services of three days then why should i pay for them. He said that was the way they did things and if money was my concern I could look around for cheaper kennels. As i knew that Wiggles loved the place I said i would go ahead with it anyway and he just repeated what he said about other cheaper kennels. I asked was there some problem with taking the booking and he said he would have to give it some thought. I pressured him for an answer as I was going on holidays later that day and could not wait. I said that i know Wiggles loved the place and they took good care of her and i was more then willing to pay the price as i knew it was the right place for her. He said given my concerns he would not accept my dog and rung up the phone before i had a chance to reply.

Needless to say, i was taken aback and quite upset really. Firstly, i didnt think in this day and age that there would be any problem with quiering a price and secondly to have the phonecall ended in such a manner.

I immediately rang back the kennel to say how upset i was and how unprofessional he had been to hang up the phone on me but he would not answer the phone. I left a message but as you can guess i have not heard anything to date.

I am just disgusted to think that people can be treated like this without any recourse. I really think he should re-address his customer services as said before bad reviews travel faster then good ones. Also he has lost a good customer and a dog that they were always raving about how easy she was to take care of.

Was delighted to hear i'm not the only one who feels they have recieved rude treatment from Declan. Seemed to me like he had enough business that he didn't care about whether i remained a customer or not. I hope it stays that way for him or this could come back to bite him in the a**.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

I know a lady who minds dogs at her house.A large fully insulated shed with tiled floor.Armchair and bed with lots of blankets,radio,lights,dim lights for bedtime,run with gate so they can see through.2 walks daily,lots of cuddles and tlc,lots of toys.Shed and run is swept out and disinfected twice daily (and in between if needed).Lady home all day has doggies of her own,lots of experience,has fostered lots of dogs from the pound.Only takes one at a time or 2 if from the same family.Dogs have come back to her 2 and 3 times.Daily texts.12 euro per day.Drop off and collection at any time within reason of course :)pm for more details or any questions xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Verudandi

If someone is looking for alternative to puting cat into cattery or kennels, I could provide info about good cat sitter. PM me for more information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 justacheck

I have heard great things from people with challenging dogs about Bests, I have also heard that the guy is better with dogs than humans! - which might be true but we cant be all happy chatty folk. I have been in contact a few times with regard to my pet, and have found him very helpful but a bit abrupt - but he has beeen extremely helpful in respect of a few things i was very stressed about and they do have a disclaimer on their website that says if your not happy when your pet gets "out" that your petstay is free - not a bad term and condition considering. I agree, I would also like to see inside. I am reassured about the posings from people in their neighbourhood who sees them at work. Also they are one of the rarer places that actually does multiple walks per day, and doggy play areas... I've been scouting out places for literally ages & must have been in contact and visited 20 or more... It is very hard to get good place for a high energy active pet :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

justacheck wrote: »
    I have heard great things from people with challenging dogs about Bests, I have also heard that the guy is better with dogs than humans! - which might be true but we cant be all happy chatty folk. I have been in contact a few times with regard to my pet, and have found him very helpful but a bit abrupt - but he has beeen extremely helpful in respect of a few things i was very stressed about and they do have a disclaimer on their website that says if your not happy when your pet gets "out" that your petstay is free - not a bad term and condition considering. I agree, I would also like to see inside. I am reassured about the posings from people in their neighbourhood who sees them at work. Also they are one of the rarer places that actually does multiple walks per day, and doggy play areas... I've been scouting out places for literally ages & must have been in contact and visited 20 or more... It is very hard to get good place for a high energy active pet :pac:

I was a bit surprised to see people giving out about best kennels. I have had my dog, a wheaten terrier, in with them 6-7 times now and they have never been anything but curteous and helpful.

Before I found them I had a few bad experiences with kennels, if he was left for longer than a weekend in any kennel he visibly lost weight.

No matter how long he's with best kennels, up to 2 weeks on one occasion, he comes out in great form. I usually get him groomed while he's there and they do a great job with him.

Given that he's high energy, very very high in fact, the 2 walks a day make a huge difference.

He also has sensitive skin so he needs gluten free food and salmon oil to keep him in good condition, no problem at all with best kennels.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 justacheck

I had my dog booked in for Best Kennels - I drove out and made the booking in person with the owner on site, I watched him write the booking down on his sheet and put it into his diary. I rang twice - once the following day to confirm and another time a week later in respect of dogfood. I rang the day before I was due to leave my dog in and asked how many dogs would be in at the time, and what the dog/minder ratio woud be. Normal questions, particularly given his locked doors policy. I was then told that he had no record of my booking and that he would not be able to take my dog. Hardly the best. Extremely unimpressed. He knows the consequences of his action on people about to go abroad. suffice to say, I am interested in letting people know. Had this been Christmas or Halloween, it would be a total catastrophe. Lucklily, i have good friends. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭irishjig69b

justacheck wrote: »
    I had my dog booked in for Best Kennels - I drove out and made the booking in person with the owner on site, I watched him write the booking down on his sheet and put it into his diary. I rang twice - once the following day to confirm and another time a week later in respect of dogfood. I rang the day before I was due to leave my dog in and asked how many dogs would be in at the time, and what the dog/minder ratio woud be. Normal questions, particularly given his locked doors policy. I was then told that he had no record of my booking and that he would not be able to take my dog. Hardly the best. Extremely unimpressed. He knows the consequences of his action on people about to go abroad. suffice to say, I am interested in letting people know. Had this been Christmas or Halloween, it would be a total catastrophe. Lucklily, i have good friends. :eek:
    another kennel in meath is happy hounds in skyrne.....very very clean.....and av ad my pouch in there many times checkout the website for more info....

• Registered Users Posts: 9 twigsahern

I cant recommend Best kennels highly enough. Declan and Mary are genuine animal lovers and set up their kennels because they could never find a kennels good enough for their own dogs. I left my three dogs in Best kennels this year and they all came out happy and well. They get out numerous times a day and get walked around the land at least once a day. I personally think its the best kennels around.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 rosy10

Snip-No advertising your own business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭suraheg

I'm a Vet Nurse, and have worked in both Meath and Dublin and have always only ever heard good things about happyhounds! They seem to really love their clients! I used to always recommend them. Just make sure that they all ask you to produce your vaccination cert, and that your dog has both the yearly vaccinations and kennel cough vaccine. Otherwise i would steer well clear! Make sure u worm and flea your dog before and after kenneling, just to be sure! :) And I'd always just pop into them unannounced, before booking your dog in. Just to be sure! I wouldnt leave my dog into any kennel that wouldnt let me just pop in and see the place beforehand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭theghost

Wenden Kennels, in Rockbrook, Rathfarnham. the owner is an animal behaviour counsellor, and really great with animals. my dog loves people, but has the Worst separation anxiety, we've left him up there the odd time and he's perfectly content up there. loves it. the kennelling service tends to book out fast so i'd plan well in advance if you're going with them, but i think that's a good sign, that they're so in demand :D

Would recommend Wenden to anyone. I've been using them for 11 years now and my lot are really happy there. As soon as they see the kennel owner at the door to collect them the tails start wagging and they go off with barely a backward glance - even the middle dog who normally can't be detached from my side :D

Try to pop into Best kennels unannounced, I wish you luck in getting in. It is bad manners not to call before hand. All kennels good or bad have rountines and work proceedures. Most kennel owners work a 90 hour week, Your dog is not the only dog in the world,I know Kay at happyhounds would not appreicate you just turning up:eek:
    suraheg wrote: »
    I'm a Vet Nurse, and have worked in both Meath and Dublin and have always only ever heard good things about happyhounds! They seem to really love their clients! I used to always recommend them. Just make sure that they all ask you to produce your vaccination cert, and that your dog has both the yearly vaccinations and kennel cough vaccine. Otherwise i would steer well clear! Make sure u worm and flea your dog before and after kenneling, just to be sure! :) And I'd always just pop into them unannounced, before booking your dog in. Just to be sure! I wouldnt leave my dog into any kennel that wouldnt let me just pop in and see the place beforehand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Yeah have to say I wouldn't appreciate if my dogs were in kennels and their walks or clean out or feeding was delayed because people kept dropping in unannounced to inspect the place.

I do agree with being able to see kennels before hand and I'm sure most kennels have 'opening hours' where you can arrange to go in and see the facilities

Advertisement