Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

final year project suggestions? for electronic and computer Eng

Options
  • 20-07-2008 6:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭

I have till early augest to suggest my own Final year project idea to the electronic eng department in college.
    and i can't really think of anything good...
    I would like to use Java and J2me for the project....

sample suggestion::
    robot with Big lasers ,

thanks for any suggestion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

kevin216 wrote: »
    and I want something thats sound complicated but is really easy

I'm sorry, but you have just lost any credibility with me after that statement.

So you are basically looking for a handy number? One that will magically get you high marks, with little or no effort?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭kevin216

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    So you are basically looking for a handy number? One that will magically get you high marks, with little or no effort?
    If you have one of these projects that would be great:)...I don't mind a bit of effort

No I'm looking for something thats a bit clever, ....the only idea I've have so far is to ask boards.ie

No I'm looking for something thats a bit clever, ....the only idea I've have so far is to ask boards.ie

Well, what do you have an interest in? What have you done before? What would you like to work with?

Java and J2ME are only the tools, what you will build using them is what is important.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

I have till early augest to suggest my own Final year project idea to the electronic eng department in college.
    and i can't really think of anything good...
    I would like to use Java and J2me for the project....
    and I want something thats sound complicated but is not too hard

thanks for any suggestion
    Ok first of all I'm sure there's plenty of projects you could do that aren't too mentally challenging, but you will *not* get any decent marks for them. In fact I'd put money on it that you'd get a pass at best really.

If you want something for good marks, choose something you've an interest in and something that could be used by people in the real world (ie something that makes peoples lives easier). If you can do this well, and get it roughly working it will definitely catch the markers attention and you should get higher marks for it.

So put your creative cap on and start thinking, we're not going to do it for you.

If you do come up with a suggestion, I'm sure people will tell you how they see the project breaking down, best technologies to use, research to look into, etc.

Every project can get a 100%.If a project is too easy .the college simply adds content to it.
    sample suggestion of a project:
    robot with Big lasers ,

• Advertisement

if we suggest .too easy of a project .. we won't be allowewd to do it..the college won't let you suggest a project that you can't in theory you can't get full marks for.

sample suggestion::
    robot with Big lasers ,

I honestly can't make head nor tail of that post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I'm finishing off my computer science masters now. I'm doing my thesis on Elliptic Curve Cryptography (ECC).

This is a difficult subject, with no readable texts. Therefore it's a good choice if you're looking for a first. :)

The basic idea of ECC is you convert your message into geometric points on an elliptic curve, encrypt the points, send the encrypted message to your friend, and they then decrypt the geometric points back into plaintext.

Sounds easy, but there's a lot involved. I have gone through hell and back trying to understand the steps involved. They aren't written down anywhere. Only the maths is. BAH. ****ers.

I plan on converting my thesis into a book.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is if you're interested in doing something in the cryptography area, I'd be happy to tutor you on the subject.

Oh - it an absolutely fascinating subject. Whoever the freak was who invented it deserves a pat on the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

dublindude wrote: »
    I'm finishing off my computer science masters now. I'm doing my thesis on Elliptic Curve Cryptography (ECC).

This is a difficult subject, with no readable texts. Therefore it's a good choice if you're looking for a first. :)

The basic idea of ECC is you convert your message into geometric points on an elliptic curve, encrypt the points, send the encrypted message to your friend, and they then decrypt the geometric points back into plaintext.

Sounds easy, but there's a lot involved. I have gone through hell and back trying to understand the steps involved. They aren't written down anywhere. Only the maths is. BAH. ****ers.

I plan on converting my thesis into a book.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is if you're interested in doing something in the cryptography area, I'd be happy to tutor you on the subject.

Oh - it an absolutely fascinating subject. Whoever the freak was who invented it deserves a pat on the back.
    I am very interested in this stuff too but have already decided on a project. Cryptography is a fascinating subject id imagine - looking forward to seeing more of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

for my final year project i did a j2me RSS news reader, got me high marks, of course thats cos it was sh1t hot :)
    at the time the midp 2.0 spec was new out so the only phone i could get with it was the 6600 (or something like that),
    i think most decent phones have it now,
    midp 2.0 has handy extra stuff like pushRegistry, i used it to automaticaly start the midlet at a certain time and pull down the latest news stories.

there is an internationally recognised scientific sliding scale that all lecturers reference when grading final year projects
    programming = cool
    mobile programming = v cool
    mobile programming that uses the net = v v cool
    as above but with fancy schmancy extra innovative stuff = uber cool

more cool = more %. ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

TheTubes wrote: »
    for my final year project i did a j2me RSS news reader, got me high marks, of course thats cos it was sh1t hot :)
    at the time the midp 2.0 spec was new out so the only phone i could get with it was the 6600 (or something like that),
    i think most decent phones have it now,
    midp 2.0 has handy extra stuff like pushRegistry, i used it to automaticaly start the midlet at a certain time and pull down the latest news stories.

there is an internationally recognised scientific sliding scale that all lecturers reference when grading final year projects
    programming = cool
    mobile programming = v cool
    mobile programming that uses the net = v v cool
    as above but with fancy schmancy extra innovative stuff = uber cool

more cool = more %. ftw.
    Programming on embedded devices v v v cool i think. Thats what i'm going at anyways - Compile a linux for some embedded device and do stuff with it - Run Linux on the nintendo DS, and hook up a serial adaptor to it so you can connect to cisco equipment - maybe supply an easy way to configure these devices, command prompt on screen with touch keyboard or something - or maybe even on the DS since it got wifi - have a Wireless network locater - I've already got my own idea - the possibilities endless....

I don't know but keep away from Web Applications - boring! - Even software apps are boring unless they do something new thats not already around and helps people's lives -

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

I think a lot of posters are missing that this project is for elec eng not for a software/IT course. As such there really has to be some hardware made/stuck together and controlled via the software. It wouls want to be one hell of a software project to get it past the fact there is no hardware bar a bog standard PC/Tablet/PPC being used.

My cert I did audio mixer, was a DJ at the time, that I could control either via the hardware or via a PC using software. That was a Cert level project for Elec eng. It covered Hardware by making the mixer, and software for the chip in the mixer and for the PC interface. Another guy in our class did a unit to remotely change your Sat Dish's direction again hardware and software. Ok that was over a decade ago but I some how doubt a final year degree elec eng student (I am assuming you mean degree) could get away with anything that is just custom software on bog standard hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

i always thought the X10 stuff was fairly cool,
    you could do some sort of a mobile app or web app to control some lights or something?

I haven't ever looked at coding for it but i would imagine there must be some free api's around somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

I was messing around with a .Net library that lets you use a Wii controller on a PC a few weeks ago. Perhaps a project that controls a robot using the accelerometers via a Wii controller would be great? Kind of like a live-action version of Super Monkey Ball?

I know there's no lasers, but it would be a load of fun! Although, it might not fit the "easy" criteria the original poster mentioned! Maybe I should read up on X10 interfaces, Accelerometers and make my own robot! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

fasty wrote: »
    I was messing around with a .Net library that lets you use a Wii controller on a PC a few weeks ago. Perhaps a project that controls a robot using the accelerometers via a Wii controller would be great? Kind of like a live-action version of Super Monkey Ball?

I know there's no lasers, but it would be a load of fun! Although, it might not fit the "easy" criteria the original poster mentioned! Maybe I should read up on X10 interfaces, Accelerometers and make my own robot! :D

That library only requires about 15 lines of code to get working fully, some people did a project with one in my year, no-one was impressed because it couldn't do anything. You're better off coding something great then adding wiimote support :>

fasty wrote: »

that sounds awesome..

pixarwallecopyau0.th.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭stylers

how about working with native Java processors ?. I worked with the dallas semi TINI platform (there are now a few others, i.e. JStik from systronics), and was able to control hardware (a demo board with useful I/O) directly from the browser using a web front end (running on the TINI using servlets). Never got time to complete it, but it would have been cool..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,577 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I did my final year project in Java too, and it was based on cryptography and RMI-based file transfers. Somehow got a B1 in it :)

Look at RMI and see what it is capable of. You could come up with some ideas for a client/server based application. A mate of mine did a RMI-based network poker game and got an A1 for it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

A mate of mine did a RMI-based network poker game and got an A1 for it
    yes, that was me </gloat>

To be honest, my program wasn't in any way innovative or spectacular. All it had going for it was readable code, thorough commenting/javadoc, and a well written report. It demonstrates that you can get good marks with a totally duff idea.

I would advise everyone to spend time on the report -people with programming FYPs often spend 90% of their time on code that is worth 50/60% of the marks.

From the experience of others, I can also advise people to avoid exotic hardware, platforms or tools. Hitting a roadblock half way through the project can be catastrophic if
    A: this is a problem nobody else has encountered before
    B: the help section is part of the next release
    C: you can't get a replacement part in time for demo
    D: the vendor's support guy will be back from holidays in 3 weeks.

Advertisement