Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway ~ Race Week

Options
  • 20-07-2008 7:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

Well left it way to late for accomadation ... No where is too be found!

Know of any camping locations around Galway!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

id say you left it around 2 years too late to book :D

Neeee way try Salthill Caravan Park
    http://www.salthillcaravanpark.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

ballyloughane caravan park in renmore- nearer the racecourse than salthill so might be easier for you. dont know website but just google

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Plenty of grassy roundabouts in Galway :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

Ask in B&Bs..

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

See sticky in Horse racing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

ring galway tourist office and ask them for availability for you, they will do the searching

There's a big tent free just behind the stand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭idunnoutellme

hey i was looking for somewhere a while ago and a few places got back to me with cancellations. if you want pm me i'll give you their email addresses or else if you see anywhere online email them ask to contact you in case of cancellations there's bound to be some.
    we got corrib village even tho it was all booked up.
    cant wait for galway :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭kellyreilly

does anyone else think that race week is a great time to leave galway as race week is basically a load of dubs moving to galway for a week on the tear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 tweety1

try the clayton hotel. we had no problems getting rooms there..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

does anyone else think that race week is a great time to leave galway as race week is basically a load of dubs moving to galway for a week on the tear

Off you go so! We'll miss ya... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I agree, to a certain extent. I'm getting out of Galway for the first few days, I make a habit of heading up the lake and chilling out for a few days, then head over to Ashford and anchor off the castle with a bottle of Buckie watchin the helicopters go wild. Prob come back to Galway on Wednesday/Thursday and head out (Where the craic on the streets is way better than being wedged into any pub)

I'm sorry to say that there's a lot of people who use the Galway Races to tart themselves up and act all snobbish and think that they're someone big and important wasting a load of dosh that week, when infact the truly rich and not so bigheaded people get the fcuk out of here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭scary_tractors

JohnCleary wrote: »
    I agree, to a certain extent. I'm getting out of Galway for the first few days, I make a habit of heading up the lake and chilling out for a few days, then head over to Ashford and anchor off the castle with a bottle of Buckie watchin the helicopters go wild. Prob come back to Galway on Wednesday/Thursday and head out (Where the craic on the streets is way better than being wedged into any pub)

I'm sorry to say that there's a lot of people who use the Galway Races to tart themselves up and act all snobbish and think that they're someone big and important wasting a load of dosh that week, when infact the truly rich and not so bigheaded people get the fcuk out of here

I agree too - this is my second Race Week in Galway and I was very much thinking of bailing out for the week! I can't stand all that posing, it hurts my head, as well as the bling which hurts my eyes! But I suppose it's all about making the best of it (ie finding a corner in a pub where noone can see your scruffy jeans, and making mean comments about the over-nourished and under-dressed!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I'm off on hols for the week and delighted to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I would bail for the week only I have a bucketload of work to do :(

If anyone knows of a local pub, for local people, that might escape the barrage of the Race Week crowd, let me know :pac: Nothing against the Race Week crowd and all that, only its not for me.

I'm praying The West will be saved from the worst of the onslaught

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

Race week is great craic, don't care what ya say.

I worked in pubs in Galway for 8 years and there is so much craic to be had from everyone - everyone is in good form, win lose or draw and there are hundreds of people about that you only see at that time of the year.....so it's like a wedding only you can't get to the bar!!

Heading racing this year on Thurs + Fri. Saw Doc's playing this Sunday - should be a good week.
    I'll be outside the budweiser tent with all the tote slips!!!:P

As for local pubs - you'll have to go a little out of town as everywhere is going to be busy again!

To hell with the pubs, drinking on the street FTW. If you feel that's too knackerish just get some plastic cups :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Blue 84

Thinking of going along this year but not on the Plate/Hurdle days as I figure the place will be packed. Is there any day of race week when it's a little quieter and when the fine establishments of High St and Quay St won't be quite as busy?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Impreza82

Monday & Tuesday are usually the quiteish days but saying that the pubs down that end of town are always busy, cant see a problem with accomodation though there has never been so many hotels around galway as there is now, there's even talk of a few big names closing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Sounds like fun. I'm heading off fishing for a few days myself, then back prob on the Wednesday and go racing a couple of days, prob Thursday, maybe Friday and Sunday. As for snobby gits - who cares, they only bother you if you let them. I don't even notice tbh... just have the craic with the same bunch I hang around with all year.... plus their hot single friends that come to Galway for the races :D
    To hell with the pubs, drinking on the street FTW. If you feel that's too knackerish just get some plastic cups :pac:

Oh yeah! Street drinking is one of the main attractions of race week for me :)

Blue 84 wrote: »
    Thinking of going along this year but not on the Plate/Hurdle days as I figure the place will be packed. Is there any day of race week when it's a little quieter and when the fine establishments of High St and Quay St won't be quite as busy?

Monday and Tuesday evening meetings are nice, not too packed, same on Sunday. Pubs aren't too bad those days either, from Wednesday on they're crazy!

• Advertisement

Sunday Night before - Good night in town.
    Monday Meeting - Good buzz at the track, booze,food,betting no problem, i love this night.Town is pretty good after wards too, no hectic head cases.
    Tuesday Meeting - As above
    Wednesday Meeting - Very busy,traffic,betting,getting food,booze can be a bit of hassle but it is a good day there, plenty of racing folk about.Town afterwards is brilliant.
    Thursday Meeting - You'll either love it or absolutely HATE IT and wish you never went.You need the patience of a saint from once you leave your house that morning until you get home.Town is mobbed, once again Love/Hate
    Friday Meeting - Fairly good at the track, a welcome relief after Thursday.However all the knob heads have now arrived in town for the Bank holiday weekend :rolleyes: so be prepared.
    Sat/Sun - Both pretty **** days at the track, no atmosphere etc.... meh i dont like it.Once again the knob heads are out in force in town but i guess everyone deserves a holiday.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

race week is for *****

edit: cunts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

DRakE wrote: »
    race week is for *****

QFT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

race week is for *****

Yup.
    Especially annoying when you're trying to get to work on a bus packed full of these cunts...

race week is for *****

No, Ladys Day is just on the Thursday ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭AdamantApproach

race week is for *****

You are embarassing yourself with that sort of a statement you utter child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭tristanc

On the actual original topic: There's been a boatload of cancellations at a number of hotels around town. The hotel I work at has gone from sold out, to having 5-10 rooms available most days. So anyone looking for a room now may well get one, but it will likely be a quiter race week than previous years from these indications.

Zzippy wrote: »
    Oh yeah! Street drinking is one of the main attractions of race week for me :)

Cheeky bottle of Buckie, once it's in a plastic bottle Bob's yer uncle - yeehaw! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Cathal01

If you're down for the full week I'd advise getting an apt. I heard The Clayton is like €300 a night but I could be way off. There's apartments right beside the Clayton being rented out for €700 for the week.

The Clayton was supposedly great craic last year but there has been local resident meetings about the amout of noise from their marquee which I understand they didn't have permission for so I doubt it will be going up this year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Nam_Man

€300 a night .... :eek::eek: Gota be kidding me!! Prices have doubled even tripled in some of the places we've checked!

Hopefully we get the weather as camping is the cheaper option!!

Any traffic diversions around Galway I should know about on Wednesday???

Advertisement