Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway ~ Race Week

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭idunnoutellme

would it be dangerous around galway race week?
    whats corrib village area like?

its my first time ever in galway and its gonna be race weekend. hope its good now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭john concannon

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Cheeky bottle of Buckie, once it's in a plastic bottle Bob's yer uncle - yeehaw! :D

Somebodies talking in a language I'm fluent...and I'm not talking about the gaeilge.

Watching drunk knackers fight is also very fun (cough) Eyre Square (cough).:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

would it be dangerous around galway race week?

No not at all, there is a heavy garda presence so its pretty safe.For the amount fo people around there is little trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭dcukhunter

Its the same where I work we have about 15 appartments left. Other years we were booked out about 3 mts before hand.
    tristanc wrote: »
    On the actual original topic: There's been a boatload of cancellations at a number of hotels around town. The hotel I work at has gone from sold out, to having 5-10 rooms available most days. So anyone looking for a room now may well get one, but it will likely be a quiter race week than previous years from these indications.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

In all seriousness, **** the Galway races.

Load of drunk arseholes shipped in a for a week nothing, drinking for the sake of drinking. Fat hags dressed up in ridiculous 'fashion' dresses. Any local with half a brain is well away from the City during this 'festival'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

Load of drunk arseholes shipped in a for a week nothing, drinking for the sake of drinking. Fat hags dressed up in ridiculous 'fashion' dresses. Any local with half a brain is well away from the City during this 'festival'.

Never a truer word spoken

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

I think I got it right when i said it was for *****.. but didnt get any thanks :|

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

Sorry I didn't read the posts before. Santa has left you a little present.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Hennybug

Any local with half a brain is well away from the City during this 'festival'.[/QUOTE]

Spot on - this time next week i'll be in Italy :p

It is rumoured by that the Clayton is due to close right after the races, you might get a deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

JohnCleary wrote: »
    I agree, to a certain extent. I'm getting out of Galway for the first few days, I make a habit of heading up the lake and chilling out for a few days, then head over to Ashford and anchor off the castle with a bottle of Buckie watchin the helicopters go wild. Prob come back to Galway on Wednesday/Thursday and head out (Where the craic on the streets is way better than being wedged into any pub)

I'm sorry to say that there's a lot of people who use the Galway Races to tart themselves up and act all snobbish and think that they're someone big and important wasting a load of dosh that week, when infact the truly rich and not so bigheaded people get the fcuk out of here

:D classy,you cant go wrong with a bottle of B :)

DRakE wrote: »
    I think I got it right when i said it was for *****.. but didnt get any thanks :|

We Blue Note folk don't like dem people east a da river ..........grrrr:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It should be MUCH quieter this year. Advance full price ticket sales for Wed and Thu are WAAAAAAY down so that means that the screeching midland builders wives will be far less evident around town on those nights , thank feck .

At least one multi starred hotel (which shall remain nameless) has quietly cancelled some major gig they annnounced for the thursday night because they sold no tickets for it . Reminds me of the Millenium so it does.

The rest of race week is not too bad, I just hate the shower of trashy yahoos that comes in for Wed and Thursday nights .

The locals only go racing on tuesday and friday anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

dcukhunter wrote: »
    Its the same where I work we have about 15 appartments left. Other years we were booked out about 3 mts before hand.
    Can you PM me the location? I know someone looking for accom

+1 I'm getting the funk out of here if possible
    How about a hug instead? :D
    awhir wrote: »
    :D classy,you cant go wrong with a bottle of B :)
    :D
    Sponge Bob wrote: »
    It should be MUCH quieter this year. Advance full price ticket sales for Wed and Thu are WAAAAAAY down so that means that the screeching midland builders wives will be far less evident around town on those nights , thank feck .

At least one multi starred hotel (which shall remain nameless) has quietly cancelled some major gig they annnounced for the thursday night because they sold no tickets for it . Reminds me of the Millenium so it does.

The rest of race week is not too bad, I just hate the shower of trashy yahoos that comes in for Wed and Thursday nights .

The locals only go racing on tuesday and friday anyway :)
    I'm nosy, PM me where you're talking about??? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Nam_Man

Whats this camping grounds like, seems a hell of a lot closer to Galway City! Croos the train tracks and your there ....

Ballyloughane Caravan & Camping Park

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

There is a free €5 bet for the Plate on Wednesday 30th on page 44 of today's Advertiser. It does say one per customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭cL0h

Dubs?
    Boggers more like.
    It's the worst week of the year in the city. Impossible to go bout your daily business
    Commuting, shopping, going for a quiet pint or coffee are all hassle.
    does anyone else think that race week is a great time to leave galway as race week is basically a load of dubs moving to galway for a week on the tear

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

It is rumoured by that the Clayton is due to close right after the races, you might get a deal.

I hope not - my mate's getting married there the week after. I'm looking forward to the session!

There is a lot of accomodation advertised in the Advertiser for next week - under the holiday accomodation and regular accomodation bits. Not extortionate either (compared to a hotel anyways)

Pinch of salt :rolleyes: according to rumors everywhere is closing

• Advertisement

cL0h wrote: »
    Dubs?
    Boggers more like.
    It's the worst week of the year in the city. Impossible to go bout your daily business
    Commuting, shopping, going for a quiet pint or coffee are all hassle.

3 days have bad traffic, Wed,Thurs and Friday(every week).Shopping and coffee, hassle? Quiet pint, well from Wed to Sun your fvcked :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

Im working there, I never had to deal with anybody too bad, ie.drunk and disorderly. Its always great craic, don't be put off by everyone saying its a bunch of drunk and fat people, its not

padi89 wrote: »
    Pinch of salt :rolleyes: according to rumors everywhere is closing

Il retract that statement....from what i heard i may have to eat my hat :o

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭cL0h

3 days have bad traffic, Wed,Thurs and Friday(every week).Shopping and coffee, hassle? Quiet pint, well from Wed to Sun your fvcked :D

Try working in Parkmore buddy!

cL0h wrote: »
    Try working in Parkmore buddy!

I did, but i was in one of the places that shut down for Race Week so it was no issue.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

We Blue Note folk don't like dem people east a da river ..........grrrr:D
    i'm from the west siiiiiide yo

gza_diversify_your_bonds.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Jerry Flannery will be at Galway Races on Monday Evening with the Heineken Cup

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

im working all week in "Irelands best nightclub" :p

keepin away from the races and town all week except for tuesday, nice buzz that night

i'm from the west siiiiiide yo

gza_diversify_your_bonds.jpg

Not "yo" your from wes cide liiike!:D

• Advertisement

whats corrib village area like?

:)

Well,it's the Fatima mansions of NUIG student acomodation.

Advertisement