Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway ~ Race Week

Options

Comments

foxy_19-89 wrote: »
    im working all week in "Irelands best nightclub" :p

keepin away from the races and town all week except for tuesday, nice buzz that night

Boo Radley's?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

eh sorry alroysh, its actuoly, control pork......dockhead!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

re: drinkin on the streets:
    didnt they cordon of quay st, high st and cross st last year and stopped anyone bringing offie in due to "safety reasons" when in fact it was the greedy publicans on those streets kickin up a fuss cause no one was buyin drink in there pubs, just buying drink in the off-licenses!

apparently thats true yea. secuirty and guards stopped people bringing anything in to this area and bringing anything out aswel. ie: no offy drink in and no pub drink out. there was barriers at anthony ryans, spar mainguard st and down near KC blakes the end of cross st.

they wouldnt allow me in with a can of red bull last year even though i was going to work!

strict.............strict but fair...........

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

So stick it down yer pants, problem solved

Last year a security guard gave us plastic pint glasses to put our drink into at the gates, happy days

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The state of the spanish arch after ":eek:ladies:eek:" day indicates why .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

foxy_19-89 wrote: »
    eh sorry alroysh, its actuoly, control pork......dockhead!
    pix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

skelliser wrote: »
    re: drinkin on the streets:
    didnt they cordon of quay st, high st and cross st last year and stopped anyone bringing offie in due to "safety reasons" when in fact it was the greedy publicans on those streets kickin up a fuss cause no one was buyin drink in there pubs, just buying drink in the off-licenses!
    Thats a public thouroughfare and they have no legal right to stop you bringing anything through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Thats a public thouroughfare and they have no legal right to stop you bringing anything through.

It's in Galway First that they are doing the same thing this year. The gardai are overseeing it so they must have some legal right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Yes, the publicans are very, very concerned over rubbish and safety :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Galway Last (:p) say that its a GLASS FREE ZONE which I totally agree with. IIRC this was the same last year (ie. not a 'cant bring yer own') as I had my own drink last year, but security were getting me to put it into plastic glasses. Plastic pints of Buckie FTW :D

Glass free zone my hole, its greedy publicans plain and simple and its already very evident.This Fri and Sat gone a well known cnut owner, is all i can describe him as, was going around sprouting his sh1te to people drinking offie near his pub.Note i said "near" , the knob thinks he owns Mainguard Street:D
    I would have no problem with a "Glass Free Zone" if once you got inside the barrier you could actually get a drink, but its an absolute sham when there is a que 3 deep at the bar and two ferking serving.:mad:
    You can bring your booze in if you put it in a plastic? OK if your carrying one drink, pointless if you got a few cans....meh fvck it, it never spolied the party.

Instead of all the publicans putting their money towards barriers why don't they just put it towards bins :confused: or a 24hr cleaning team.Oh i forgot.....MONEY.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Isn't drinking alcohol in public illegal anyway?

I know the Garda excuse last year was the barriers were to try and facilitate this shameless offence and also the Glass problem...

All I know is that last year I had NO problem bringing drink up Quay St, so long as I used the plastic glasses provided. If any publican tried to tell me to p1ss off for drinking offie (granted I wouldnt be sitting on his property etc.) i'd tell him to politely Fcuk off and mind his own business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

its pure greed, nothing more
    heard on the radio today a b&b chargin e80 pps for a 4 bed room!!

it reminds me of that episode of the simpsons where a film crew are making a movie in springfield and the towns people milk them dry! funny thing is there is plenty of "rich" idiots down for the races who cant wait to hand over their money

skelliser wrote: »
    its pure greed, nothing more
    heard on the radio today a b&b chargin e80 pps for a 4 bed room!!

it reminds me of that episode of the simpsons where a film crew are making a movie in springfield and the towns people milk them dry! funny thing is there is plenty of "rich" idiots down for the races who cant wait to hand over their money

exactly, so f*** them, milk them, they can afford it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Can we put a tax on wearing puffy whore hats? or Sun glasses that are white around the frames!!?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The bus to the course from the square is €7 return. That's expensive!

it was €8 last year

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Cathal01

Does anyone else live in Ballybrit? The noise from the Clayton is unreal... I can hear every single word the crappy band is singing from any room in my apt. Surely they can't have permission for that marquee in a residential area... It's ****ing insane!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I go to the Clayton once a week for lunch and I find it great value. You can normally get a good dinner for 11 Euro. Yesterday there was a special Race Week Menu and the prices were up around 18 Euro. We left and went down to the Galway Plate and won't be back to the Clayton for a while. I also organise Conferences/Meetings there so first thing next Tuesday I'll be looking for a new venue.
    This craic of Diageo only products behind the bar is crap too. The likes of Heineken taps are removed for the week. The Clayton is usually quiet during the week and will remain that way. I thought Mr. Glynn would run a good ship.
    Rant Over.

sgthighway wrote: »
    I go to the Clayton once a week for lunch and I find it great value. You can normally get a good dinner for 11 Euro. Yesterday there was a special Race Week Menu and the prices were up around 18 Euro. We left and went down to the Galway Plate and won't be back to the Clayton for a while. I also organise Conferences/Meetings there so first thing next Tuesday I'll be looking for a new venue.
    This craic of Diageo only products behind the bar is crap too. The likes of Heineken taps are removed for the week. The Clayton is usually quiet during the week and will remain that way. I thought Mr. Glynn would run a good ship.
    Rant Over.

You should write to the Management and let them know WHY they won't be getting your business in the future instead of ranting here! At least that way they'll know what they're doing wrong

Is there a dress code getting into the Races yeah? Suited up i suppose...

Heading up for the Friday/night.

Thursday is really the only day you should wear a suit, not that it's essential but everyone else is in one so you may feel a bit odd ;)
    Anything goes every other day.

Complain to the corpo about the noise , they gave the Clayton permission to erect the marquee but with conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Im glad the radison is gone. Every year they would have a marquee and a band/disco that would go on til 2/3 in the morning. I live across the lake and I could pick out the song they were playing, it was that loud. I was always amazed that residents on college road never kicked up a fuss

Anyway, This year I can sleep soundly, with only the sound of Garda sirens and ambulance as my lullaby

The Radisson is not entirely gone , the missus was there last night and said it was full but not ridiculously so and there was no loud crappy band .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The Radisson is not entirely gone , the missus was there last night and said it was full but not ridiculously so and there was no loud crappy band .

Sorry I meant to say the night club. Just walked home now and I could hear it, but def not as loud as previous years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Ava Grace

Missing the races this year, bummer :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement