Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

A4 Alloy damage

Options
  • 20-07-2008 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭

i just picked up my new Audi A4 and the next day i noticed a mark on one of the front alloy wheels. I know i did not 'kerb' the car (i never have and the mark is too high on the wheel for it to have been 'kerbed'). The car was just over 28 hours old when i found the mark. I'm convinced it must have been on the car when i bought it. What can i do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

forumdedum wrote: »
    i just picked up my new Audi A4 and the next day i noticed a mark on one of the front alloy wheels. I know i did not 'kerb' the car (i never have and the mark is too high on the wheel for it to have been 'kerbed'). The car was just over 28 hours old when i found the mark. I'm convinced it must have been on the car when i bought it. What can i do?

Nothing. I'm sure it was there when you bought the car, but you probably didn't notice it. So i would be very suprised if any garage would repair/replace it for you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭forumdedum

I have never spent such money on a car before. I emailed Audi and will hopefully get a reply from them tomorrow. The car is brand new and cost nearly 38000 euro. Is this a possible consumer complaint? The wheels are part of a 3200 euro upgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I have never spent such money on a car before. I emailed Audi and will hopefully get a reply from them tomorrow. The car is brand new and cost nearly 38000 euro. Is this a possible consumer complaint? The wheels are part of a 3200 euro upgrade.

Ok seeing as the car is brand new, then you will have a good chance of getting it repaired. I thought it was a second hand car you had purchased!

I hope so. I've worked out the wheel is worth 360 euros. If the garage refuse to replace it what are my rights? What should i say to them?

When you buy a brand new audi is the dealer supposed to go through some kind of inspection process? When i bought a 2nd hand BMW car from BMW dealer years ago the salesman sat with me and an inspection list. Should Audi do the same?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Whoa there, slow down on the consumer complaints and emailing Audi.

Tomorrow go to your salesperson and explain what you found and when you found it. If you can't get in to them tell them you'll email them a photo of the damage.
    If you were a reasonable customer and they're a professional salesperson then you should both make an agreement fairly quickly as to where the responsibility lies.

Repairing the alloy will normally cost no more than €100, this can be arranged by the dealer.

Don't even consider escalating the issue to Audi Ireland (or solicitors or umbudsmen) until you've spoken (calmly) to the salesperson and/or their manager.

When you buy a brand new audi is the dealer supposed to go through some kind of inspection process? When i bought a 2nd hand BMW car from BMW dealer years ago the salesman sat with me and an inspection list. Should Audi do the same?

As part of my handover I always try and make sure that I do an external lap of the car before we sit into it. I usually do a checkover of the car before the customer arrives and if I don't, then our Valeting Manager will.

The handover can be quicker if the customer is under time pressure or is very familiar with the car, and both the customer and the salesperson may miss stuff like a scuff on an alloy if it's getting dark or if it's raining, but you do your best.

Sometimes there are issues with the finish of a car (not cleaned properly, a small scratch, a scuffed alloy). They can always be attended to without ruining the customer's experience of a new car.

I emailed Audi after telephoning my dealer's mobile phone. Since he did not answer i felt it was essential that i kept a record of the time of my discovery (28 hours after picking up the car).

Yes i will go to the salesperson tomorrow with the car

An agreement? I know i did not put a mark on the wheel and i am not paying for the damage.

Is repair going to make it look like new? I find it funny when people who sell faulty goods do not just replace them. I expect a new wheel.

What manufacturer of tyre is supplied with the new saloon 120bhp A4?

I emailed Audi after telephoning my dealer's mobile phone. Since he did not answer i felt it was essential that i kept a record of the time of my discovery (28 hours after picking up the car). Yes i will go to the salesperson tomorrow with the car

That's a good move, the email will put a time on it.
    An agreement? I know i did not put a mark on the wheel and i am not paying for the damage.

Yes, an agreement.

If the salesperson believes you and you're respectful to each other then there's every likelihood that they'll pay to get your alloy fixed to retain you as a customer. The reality is that it wasn't spotted at the time of delivery and it's very easy to kerb an alloy, so it's your word against theirs.

It's the strength of the relationship that will get the issue resolved for you.
    Is repair going to make it look like new? I find it funny when people who sell faulty goods do not just replace them. I expect a new wheel.

The repair will be perfect, you'll never know it was there.

Again, don't go in all guns blazing and watch your words - there's no proof that "faulty goods" were sold.

You're not going to get a new wheel.
    What manufacturer of tyre is supplied with the new saloon 120bhp A4?

No idea, I can tell you tomorrow when I'm in work fi you want.

The alloy was not kerbed.

1. The mark is too high on the wheel for it to have been kerbed.
    2. Besides i don't kerb wheels. Ever. All my alloys in past cars have been perfectly kept.
    3. I did not park that side (drivers) of the car at a kerb.

Yes please check the make of tyre supplied with the 120bhp. To my eyes the tyres don't protect the alloys enough. In other words its as if the wheel and tyre are level. In fact when i noticed that initially i was extra extra careful.

Also the car has also cut out several times on me. That is very odd.

Yes i will be nice to the salesman but i'm going to take this as far as i have to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Yes i will be nice to the salesman but i'm going to take this as far as i have to.

To be honest i would be more worried about a brand new car cutting out than a mark on the alloy!!

I think AudiChris has made some good points above... If you noticed when picking it up i'd say there's a fair chance of getting a "new" wheel, but in this case a "repair as new" would be a fair solution...

just be careful not to go in all guns blazing... i'd be fierce disappointed if i spent that amount of money and it wasn't perfect too...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

OP you really should have checked the new car over fully before even leaving the dealers forecourt in it. It's impossible now to prove when and where the damage happened.

An awful lot of people make the mistake of buy in haste and repent at leisure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Kafer

Congrats on the new car. What is the 120bhp like to drive?

Yes please check the make of tyre supplied with the 120bhp. To my eyes the tyres don't protect the alloys enough. In other words its as if the wheel and tyre are level. In fact when i noticed that initially i was extra extra careful.

Your tyres should be:
    Brand: Continental
    Model: Conti Premium Contact 2
    Size: 225/55R16

Not all tyres include a bead to protect the alloy, it probably depends on the brand/model.

As above, I'd be more concerned with getting this checked out to make sure nothing's amiss.

Thanks for the information. I forgot to add that because i got the 120 version with the sports upgrade that means the wheels are 17". It came with Bridgestone tyres. Does that sound right?

I'm just back from leaving the car at the dealers. His own A4 which he bought a few weeks ago has the same wheel and he is prepared to trade wheels with me. Does that sound ok? Will the wheels still be correctly balanced/aligned? Anything i should be aware of before i go to pick it up. Thanks for all help and advice.

I'm monitoring the cutting out. It didn't happen today. I hope it was just me not being used to the car initially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Kafer

I'm just back from leaving the car at the dealers. His own A4 which he bought a few weeks ago has the same wheel and he is prepared to trade wheels with me. Does that sound ok? Will the wheels still be correctly balanced/aligned? Anything i should be aware of before i go to pick it up. Thanks for all help and advice.

That sounds very acceptable.

Thanks for the information. I forgot to add that because i got the 120 version with the sports upgrade that means the wheels are 17". It came with Bridgestone tyres. Does that sound right?

The 17" wheels on the A4 in our showroom has Contis as well, but the TT has Bridgestones. It doesn't really matter as long as they're brand name tyres and they match - I'd be happy with Continental/Bridgestone/Dunlop/Michelin, they're all basically interchangable.

Wheels are individually balanced and his shouldn't need balancing anyway because they're so new.
    There's nothing to be wary of, just check the condition of the wheels and tyres before you leave and happy motoring!
    I'm monitoring the cutting out. It didn't happen today. I hope it was just me not being used to the car initially.

I'd expect so, I haven't come across any issues like that so far. Are you moving from petrol to diesel? They're both fairly different to drive.

I notice he has added a balance to the "new" wheel. When i drove i let the steering wheel go and the car veered to the right (where the new wheel is).

Yes i'm moving from Petrol to Diesel.

Can't say i was very impressed with Audi Irelands email reply to me.

Imagine one is supposed to be enjoying a brand new car. Its actually a pain in the a**. My 1 st Audi now maybe my last. Take me back in a time machine when manufacturers actually took pride in their products. Maybe when the so called recession kicks in products won't be as disposable as they have been

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭paddydriver

The alloy was not kerbed.

2. Besides i don't kerb wheels. Ever. All my alloys in past cars have been perfectly kept.

I don't kerb alloys either - but my wife does:D We have a GTI with 18's on - and try and try as (we) may - marks just appear. Still, they are in good nic after 22 months so cannot complain.

Glad things are looking up for you.

I notice he has added a balance to the "new" wheel. When i drove i let the steering wheel go and the car veered to the right (where the new wheel is).

Most wheels will need balancing of some sort I'd expect, they can't come perfectly matched to the tyre from the factory and based on the speeds they rotate, even the inflation valve could cause an imbalance.

If your wheels are out of balance, normally you'll feel it in the steeringwheel as a vibration, not a pull to the left/right.

Did you mention the pull to the right to the dealer when you took the car?

A car should never veer.
    Yes i'm moving from Petrol to Diesel.

That could explain the stalling. We'll see, I guess.
    Can't say i was very impressed with Audi Irelands email reply to me.

I doubt they knew what to say. A scuff on an alloy - dealer will fix it or blame it on customer, not much room for them to intervene.
    Imagine one is supposed to be enjoying a brand new car. Its actually a pain in the a**. My 1 st Audi now maybe my last. Take me back in a time machine when manufacturers actually took pride in their products. Maybe when the so called recession kicks in products won't be as disposable as they have been

I don't understand this comment? Do you think other manufacturers have unscuffable wheels? Do you think a BMW or Merc dealer would have given you a brand new wheel and put your scuffed one into storage or sent it back to the factory because it's "faulty"?

Wheels scuff, tyres wear, brakes fade. I think the issue was resolved quickly and adequately and unless the car pulling to the right is addressed with the dealer immediately I expect you'll be back in the same position in a couple of days feeling that your tracking's "faulty".

• Advertisement

I didn't feel a vibration in the steering wheel thankfully.

I only noticed the car veering after the new wheel was put on.

I reckon the wheel got damaged when it was either being put onto or taken off the delivery lorry

Please remember that the car was only 28 hours old and i did not park that side against the kerb. The mark is too high on the wheel to have touched any kerb i know

Maybe there was a time when a manufacturer would do such a gesture.

Kafer wrote: »
    Congrats on the new car. What is the 120bhp like to drive?

Thank you. i would have gone for the 143bhp but i couldn't afford it. The 120 seems good to me. However, because i am only 'running the car in' i have not driven it above 80kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

forumdedum: my dad bought a TDi A4 aswell last year, first diesel in donkeys years, and it took him a few days to get used to the switch and he was constantly stalling. That might be the issue.

Also for the record, we found the Audi dealer service to be absolutely above and beyond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

It sounds like you are getting good service, work to get it resolved and try and keep everyone onside.

On a related matter it does my head in how many alloys are designed proud of the tyrewall, the designers know what they are at and its all more money for the manufacturer down the line. Ford are particularly bad on this, but are far from alone. The alloys on my BMW are 13 years old totally unmarked, ahhh the good old days when things were designed to last.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I'm just back from leaving the car at the dealers. His own A4 which he bought a few weeks ago has the same wheel and he is prepared to trade wheels with me. Does that sound ok?

I think this is a decent result. Just goes to show that going in heavy handed at the start isn't always the answer. Glad it worked out for you, I know that sinking feeling when you spot new damage on the car, worse again on a 28hr old car!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,318 ✭✭✭✭Esel

OP, did you check the air pressures after the wheel was swapped?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭MarkN

slightly off topic but who told you to run the car in at no more than 80kms/hr ?? You are gonna have a very tight engine doing that!

MarkN wrote: »
    slightly off topic but who told you to run the car in at no more than 80kms/hr ?? You are gonna have a very tight engine doing that!

Oops! no one. What do you mean by tight engine? The manual said not to drive beyond two thirds of the maximum speed for the first 1500km. What should i be doing. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I was under the impression that the days of "running in" engines were long gone.

• Advertisement

The manual says

"A new vehicle should be run in over a distance of 1500km. For the first 1000km the engine speed should not exceed 2/3 of the maximum permissible engine speed . . . etc"

Advertisement