Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Towing Rules / Laws

Options
  • 20-07-2008 7:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭

Noted that many people towing trailers etc do not seem to have lights on them etc and not sure where I can find out about the legalities of towing.

If I wanted to tow a race car that was not roadworthy (track car) to a track - can this be done legally? Can it be pulled using an A Frame instead of a trailer?

I think someone told me that any car being towed had to be road legal and NCTed / Taxed etc - any info here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Adding my self to this thread as i'm interested also...

I've heard u can only tow a twin axle trailer with a 4 wheels drive, how true is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

you need a trailer licence if the car+trailer exceeds 750kg (which it will) it will also need to be braked.

you should go twin axle if towing a car, single axle is too unstable at speeds over 50mph.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

colm_mcm wrote: »
    you need a trailer licence if the car+trailer exceeds 750kg (which it will) it will also need to be braked.

IS there a test for it. If so what does it involve?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I suppose there is a test, or maybe it comes free with a truck license? never heard of anyone doing a test for it, and the only people I kow to have them also have truck licenses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

Am I right in saying from whats been written that if I wanted to tow anything weighing more than 750kg, I need a trailer license or have I missed something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Chaz wrote: »
    Am I right in saying from whats been written that if I wanted to tow anything weighing more than 750kg, I need a trailer license or have I missed something?
    Sounds like you need an EB licence.

Car plus trailer over 750kg (and various other restrictions)

I'd say WA previous post is still valid

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53316054&postcount=6

Seems to be a test, 4x4 and horsebox required

Advertisement