Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nayarit Coast, Mexico

• 20-07-2008 7:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Hey,

Just wanted to share my experience further down south in Mexico on the Nayarit Coast.

Went on a hol with really cheap flights from San Francisco in April and flew in to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. From there we rented a car and drove about 40 mins to a little seaside town Sayulita, known for it's surfing. You'll find the best fish tacos there! So cheap to eat there.
    My brother found our house on www.vrbo.com (Vacation rentals by owner) a website I didn't know about but apparently all the americans use. Casa Mango was fantastic - huge with a private pool and overlooking the jungle. We did day trips to nearby beaches San Pancho/(also called San Francisco ironically), Lo de Marcos, Punta de Mita...

After a week there we drove further north to Chacala. It was a town with not a lot to do as in barely a shop- very relaxed and very much real Mexico. We bought fish straight from the fishermen on the pier. Not a bit touristy but lovely beaches. The house we had was actually part of a new area developed there, think it was called Chacala Marina, so it had a private beach for residents - which we found out when we arrived- and there were canoes to use :) That house wasn't great, as it was run by a person for a person kind of thing and the cupboards were locked! Oh well.

But from there we went on a day trip to Playa Las Tortugas - the most amazing beach I have ever been on. 5 miles of sand and one other family on the beach. Amazing stuff! Bit of a balls to get to, long windey dirt track - and absolutely no restaurants around unless you find a nice fisherman to take you across the river like we did ;)

If you're looking for real Mexico, not a Mexico full of American tourists I'd stay away from Puerto Vallarta itself. We spent a day there and it was all huge hotels, Starbucks, McDonalds kind of thing which we weren't interested in on holiday! Once you get into the city town it is nice for shopping at the market...

I think that's all i have to share! We found all the info in a guide book, so recommend getting one too if you're heading there =)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

rosie1987 wrote: »
    If you're looking for real Mexico, not a Mexico full of American tourists I'd stay away from Puerto Vallarta itself. We spent a day there and it was all huge hotels, Starbucks, McDonalds kind of thing which we weren't interested in on holiday! Once you get into the city town it is nice for shopping at the market...

Stay away from the 'new' town by the airport and head for the old town where the beach is much better and fewer tourists.

Advertisement