Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More than 4 gigs of Ram

Options
  • 20-07-2008 8:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

So I'm about to install vista 64 bit and one of the benefits is it can use more than 4 gigs of Ram but all the programs - games and such will still be 32 bit so is there any benefit at all to say 6 or 8 gigs of ram ?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Maybe if you have two programs running at once they'll both have 4GBs ram for themselves. Might not be the case but you never know. That's the only advantage I can see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I was thinking 32 programs can only access 4 gigs but maybe they can access seperate 4 gigs hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 36 T-max

There are still 32bit mode compatability switching issues with 64bit Vista. I am interested to see how you get on with this. Can you please let me know when you have tried it out?

I had major driver problems 2 years ago with a system build utilising Win XP Pro 64bit version. I just shelved it and reverted to 32bit os.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

T-max wrote: »
    There are still 32bit mode compatability switching issues with 64bit Vista. I am interested to see how you get on with this. Can you please let me know when you have tried it out?

I had major driver problems 2 years ago with a system build utilising Win XP Pro 64bit version. I just shelved it and reverted to 32bit os.
    A couple of people here are running vista 64bit with no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

I'm running Vista Ultimate 64bit SP1 without issue. Far superior to XP 64bit and driver availability is superb. I'm running 8GB (4x2gb modules) in my main PC and it flies.....though I reckon i've never used more than 3gb max whilst gaming etc. I've yet to reinstall my Photoshop CS3 and reckon that this may utilise the ram a little better.:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

MooseJam wrote: »
    I was thinking 32 programs can only access 4 gigs but maybe they can access seperate 4 gigs hmmm

32 bit Windwos apps can only access 2 gig each, and with some extra compile time extensions they can access 3 gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Running 4gigs on 64 bit here. Aside from the pre-caching I can't see 8 gigs being useful for another 2 or 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I run 4 gigs myself, although, I haven't actually made the switch from Vista 32 to 64 yet. Waiting until my vista needs a reinstall (which is hasn't for 6 months now :S). Even with 3.2 gigs of usuable ram, I've struggled to max my ram usage with any application. With the 64 bit overheads, 4 gigs is surely enough for anyone but the most demanding of users running the most ram hungry pro apps.

Even considering the current ridiculous ram prices, over 4 gigs is overkill for 99% of people today. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Ive had 8gigs with vista 64, and its useless. Well unless using cad or using photoshop. 4gigs is plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

T-max wrote: »
    Odd. Been using 64bit XP, and found it easy to get drivers from the get-go.

=-=

The 32bit games run on a 32bit emulator, IIRC.

• Advertisement

Well I installed this morning and I have to say I am very impressed - Install picked up everything bar the graphics card and soundcard and I got 64 bit drivers for those off the web, it even picked up my printer for which canon had no 64 bit drivers. I have all my programs installed again with no problems so I'm very happy to say the least, I shall now go and treat myself to another 2 gigs of ram, maybe 4 more if the price is right :)

Thanks for the pointers and a big thanks to one particular person who was very helpfull with the switchover to 64bit - you know who you are ;)

MooseJam wrote: »
    a big thanks to one particular person who was very helpfull with the switchover to 64bit - you know who you are ;)

Jesus?

who else :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Jebus is a strong contender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Demonoid ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Demonoid ;)
    ROFL. promoting illegal downloading again are we? :pac:

Advertisement