Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

French shops

• 20-07-2008 8:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭

Hey, I was wondering if there is a French equivalent of Penneys or some shop along those lines? I'm moving over there soon but am packing light and getting clothes cheap enough over there instead.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

You'll find a lot of the bigger supermarkets have their own clothes (I've picked up various t-shirts / sandels / runners)

Sports good .. theres decathalon (again runners / sandels and so on )

To be honest though I didn't do that much shopping over there but the price difference a lot of the times is very big compared to here :). If possible wait till the sales as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭elmolesto

You can try gemo, they are pretty cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Tati, is probably what you are looking for

Tati, is probably what you are looking for

How could I forgot Tati? Definitely one of the cheapest.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭hunnybunny

QUOTEHey, I was wondering if there is a French equivalent of Penneys or some shop along those lines? I'm moving over there soon but am packing light and getting clothes cheap enough over there instead. QUOTE

I would actually say don t bother buying clothes there, if you are a female who is into her fashion. But then judging by your name, I reckon you are guy. Then I d say go ahead, if you are not fussy.

I find the clothes in GIFI, GENO and TATI very tatty (no pun intended with TATI LOL) and not very trendy. I also don t find them as cheap as Penneys. Even the cheapest nightdress (just for something to wear, as I forgot my nightdress) can be 10 euros in Gifi/Gemo/carrefour, Whereas in Penneys you can get 4€ and even 1€ during the sale and quite cute ones as well.
    There is nowhere exactly like Penneys in France and Europe.
    I know Penneys/Primark are flooded with impressed Europeans and other foreigners when they come over here. They can t get over what you get for such a low price.
    I imagine Penneys would make a fortune if they opened in France.
    I have visited all over Europe and I have never found a shop that does trendy high street fashion clothes and nessicities as cheap as Primark/Penneys!

Also for girls sizes can be very odd in France. They are European sizes. Bra's are in different sizes eg 100 b. Soooo confusing. Oh and nothing is ever bigger than a C for some strange reason, so if you are double D buy in Ireland. I learnt that the hard way.
    I think clothes sizes are different for men as well. Shoe sizes are also different.

GEMO and GIFI have great offers on shampoos and other cosmetics if I remember correctly! Household can be good as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

Yeah you'd miss Penneys, if only for their ridiculously cheap socks! They're so expensive in France!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

mental07 wrote: »
    Yeah you'd miss Penneys, if only for their ridiculously cheap socks! They're so expensive in France!!!

*rotfl*

I've got friends who come over for the Galway Lorient twinning quite regularly and they ALWAYS go to Pennys for just that reason ...

I've found if you want to make french people very happy for next to nothing buy them socks for christmas

hunnybunny wrote: »

Also for girls sizes can be very odd in France. They are European sizes. Bra's are in different sizes eg 100 b. Soooo confusing. Oh and nothing is ever bigger than a C for some strange reason, so if you are double D buy in Ireland. I learnt that the hard way.

If you are 100b and feel confused, pm me, Ill tell you all about it:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭alexjk

Cool,thanks for the replies! I suppose I'll stock up on socks before I go so, but I'll defo check those shops out

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭hunnybunny

If you are 100b and feel confused, pm me, Ill tell you all about it

I wish!!! No unfortunately I am 34DD:(. I was actaully told in a lot of French lingerie shops that "we simply don t have your size".:o
    I don t know if double (DD) exists over there. I always had to buy E ;) and that was in shops like Eurodif, they never had it in the really nice shops.
    I find the UK and Ireland cater much better for busty girls.

Penney would make a fortune in France no doubt about it. I don t reckon other French shops would ever allow the government to open the likes of Penneys. It would drive them out of business.

I watched an interesting documentry which explains alot about how Penneys manage to have their clothes so up to date and cheap.
    Here is an article about it!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEgnimnkZ5Y

It would make you think!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

carrefour is a GIANT supermarket with a huge clothes section. very cheap and you find some great stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I prefer buying clothes in France to be honest. Sizes for women are effectively reliable instead of the lottery that they are here. Etam and 123 are the best chainstores I know for clothes. They may well have different numbers but once you know what fits you both in terms of bra size (cm based rather than inch based) and dress/skirt/top size, it works.

As a result I do most of my clothes shopping in France. Incidentally, am 38D in Irish terms and I have bought all my bras most recently in France.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

there's this big one called C&Js that i remember...i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭ga2re2t

Yeah, I always buy socks when I get home :D

But you can't beat Decathlon for sports wear. Penny's might do well in France, but I've always wondered why Decathlon never set up shop in Ireland. There's no real equivalent in Ireland as far as I can remember.

Advertisement