Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Someone tell me what speed I'm getting please!

Options
  • 20-07-2008 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,807 ✭✭✭

I'm on the 20mb UPC package but getting differing speedtest results

From irishisptest and speedtest.net

http://www.speedtest.net/result/298592248.png

but when downloading i appear to be getting 2.2megabytes a second which is about right for a 20mb package?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

those speeds on the tests are in BITS not BYTES

2.2megabytes would be about right for 20mb.
    Can you confirm that the download speed your getting is megabyte and not megabit. Megabyte is MB (capital B), megabit is Mb (lower case b)

Neither of those tests can be correct for your 20megabit line, you have a serious problem somewhere. There can be difference between severs but you're well off what you should be. You should be getting near 20mb download on either of those tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,807 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

hi thanks.
    yeah, when doing a direct download using rapidshare I am downloading a 100mb file in 50 seconds which is about right. But the speedtests are showing the opposite :confused:

another speedtest :
    Last Result:
    Download Speed: 1657 kbps (207.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 922 kbps (115.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

nah there's something unusual going on there. possibility that the speedtest server can't handle your request properly at the moment, but for two sites to be doing it. that's odd. sure if the speeds are flying then nothing to complain about :)

just tested the rapidshare file again - using a download manager I'm getting over the 2mb a second, but with a direct download without a manager i/m only getting 670kbs.... i know the download managers should improve things but this is strange! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

just tested the rapidshare file again - using a download manager I'm getting over the 2mb a second, but with a direct download without a manager i/m only getting 670kbs.... i know the download managers should improve things but this is strange! :confused:

Happens me too. With Firefox or Internet Explorer downloader, it just makes one connection to the rapidshare server (670kbs). With a download manager, it makes multiple connections to the server and probably gets ~670kbs on each one, so it ends up maxing out the 2mb a second.

• Advertisement

plazzTT wrote: »
    Happens me too. With Firefox or Internet Explorer downloader, it just makes one connection to the rapidshare server (670kbs). With a download manager, it makes multiple connections to the server and probably gets ~670kbs on each one, so it ends up maxing out the 2mb a second.

I can understand why a download manager might have this effect on a server limiting it's download speed given the multiple connections, but the problem here is that no windows direct download from any site is giving me more than about 600kbs whereas the download manager is giving me the full 2.3mb. This is borne out by the speedtests - which suggest I should be getting the lower speeds. If this speedtest were correct though, I think I am right in assuming that NO download manager could bring me up to the speeds I'm getting when my internet service does not provide that speed.

In other words, something is allowing the download manager to use my "full NTL 20mb service" but no other methods of downloading or speedtest sites are able to match it....:confused:

note as per picture in my first post, my upload speed appears to be correct for the full NTL service.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭TheCaveman

I am also on the 20MB package, and on speedtest get 19MB+ download speed, and on rapidhsare get the full 2.3/2.4 MB per sec download.

what download manager are you using?

"internet download manager". but my problem ain't with the download manager which seems to get the full speeds. It's the rest of "windows"..!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

try gamershell.com and just randomly download something from their relatively empty 100Mbit Irish mirrors or European 1Gbit mirrors. best make it an old file

Hi
    Connected a laptop directly to NTL modem (bypassed Netgear wireless router) and got full speeds from speedtest sites.

So it would appear that the Netgear router is restricting download speeds - (but not upload speeds) unless a download manager making multiple connections is used... any ideas?

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Hi
    Connected a laptop directly to NTL modem (bypassed Netgear wireless router) and got full speeds from speedtest sites.

So it would appear that the Netgear router is restricting download speeds - (but not upload speeds) unless a download manager making multiple connections is used... any ideas?

thanks

Perhaps, how were you connecting to the netgear...wired or wireless?

hi thanks.

I was connecting wirelessly all along but yesterday evening connected directly to the router and the speed problem was still there so it's not a wireless strength issue.. but must be to do with the router given that the modem direct connection solved it..!

edit - would resetting the router using the reset button back to factory settings cause me problems or is it easy to start off afresh - as I used to get the full speeds from this router so it could be just some setting that's gone funny?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Looks like you're on the 20Mb package, based on your upload. Your download is just over 6Mb in reality, which is far too slow for what you're paying for. If that's what you're mostly getting, then I'd be getting on the phone to UPC. Ring them free on 1908. :)

Remember: Do speed tests only when your connection is idle and is not being used by other computers that are connected to your router.

DECEiFER wrote: »
    Looks like you're on the 20Mb package, based on your upload. Your download is just over 6Mb in reality, which is far too slow for what you're paying for. If that's what you're mostly getting, then I'd be getting on the phone to UPC. Ring them free on 1908. :)

Remember: Do speed tests only when your connection is idle and is not being used by other computers that are connected to your router.

As stated in previous post, I'm getting the full speeds if I connect directly to the modem. This is a router issue and ringing UPC about the speed of what I'm paying for would not help I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

As stated in previous post, I'm getting the full speeds if I connect directly to the modem. This is a router issue and ringing UPC about the speed of what I'm paying for would not help I reckon.
    What Router are you using. Did I see Netgear somewhere? Crap, useless, steer clear.

Linksys are the only ones I trust. They can hold a connection like no other budget priced home router, at least the ones I've used have always been spot on. My Netgear is gathering dust in the drawer.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭TheCaveman

I'm on the 20mb UPC package but getting differing speedtest results

From irishisptest and speedtest.net

http://www.speedtest.net/result/298592248.png

but when downloading i appear to be getting 2.2megabytes a second which is about right for a 20mb package?

Are you on XP or Vista

xp. This router has been working fine for over a year giving me full speeds. It's only in the last week that I'm having the "reduced download/full upload" problem. How the download manager is getting the full speed is beyone me :confused:

Advertisement