Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

surf Board wanted!!

Options
  • 20-07-2008 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

Looking for 7'9 8' beginners surf board max €200
    if anyone hears of 1 for sale Please let me know:)
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

I've been looking around a bit lately since the surf-bug firmly bit, think you would be doing well to pick up a new board for the 200 euro mark. Maybe second-hand . Most common advice is to check out as many of the surf-shops in the surf-towns as you can, the best bargains seem to be available there as their prices are competitive (in Irish terms) and they are often willing to do deals if you are looking to pick up a suit or generate other business. Thatsaid, if anyone knows where to pick up a longboard for 200 quid please let me know too! ;)

edit: don't buy unless you are 100% sure, it is well worth your while getting out as often as you can on the rented gear until you are 100% positive. Sometimes see people rushing out to buy right away when it might not be the right idea (amount of time actually spent on waves etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

king of water sports do a bic 7'9 for just E 300 with leash and a board bag, delivered, NEW. Best of all it'l be worth 250-280 in 2weeks - 2yrs time if you decide its not for you or want to move on,
    Do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭SnowMonkey

53 dgeres in north are haveing a sale on all surfboards at the mo only surfboards tho was n there at the week they have (Wahinie girly version) nutral surfs going quite cheep. did'nt get the price as i was more interested in the chick on tv free diving toples :D.. but yeah have a look there..... Hope that helps....

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭elainee

Cool thanks guys:p

im 5'9 10 stone surfer guy told me to get a 8' board...is epoxy better than a bic?? after reading some messages it looks like epoxy are better..also i was looking at cortez board are they any good?? what is the price i should b looking for? sorry for all the q's!!!!;)

• Advertisement

elainee wrote: »
    im 5'9 10 stone surfer guy told me to get a 8' board...is epoxy better than a bic?? after reading some messages it looks like epoxy are better..also i was looking at cortez board are they any good?? what is the price i should b looking for? sorry for all the q's!!!!;)

i wuldnt know anything about surfing :confused:, I roller blade,:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

A general rule of thumb would be a board at least 1' taller than you as a starter, though the bigger you go the easier it is to catch waves and get your pop-up etc.

So yeah something around 7'9", 7'10" or 8' would be plenty I reckon.

Epoxy is lighter than the plastic and as a result more Bouyant meaning easier to catch waves, but the down side is they can sustain damage quite easily.

The plastic you can run over in a car (and i've seen people accidentally do that :D) and it will just smear the wax or snap a fin.

If you know you're going to stick with the surfing and have a few extra bob then go for the epoxy.

If your stuck for cash and unsure you want to keep surfing, go for the plastic. If you decide to quit they're quite easy to sell on.

Havent surfed or read much about the Cortez boards personally so cant advise you there, sorry !

coll thanks c-13 :)

c - 13 wrote: »
    Havent surfed or read much about the Cortez boards personally so cant advise you there, sorry !

three a sub company of alder wetsuits or they distrabute them, have seen themup close and personal.. there nice boards havent surfed one yet but waiting for a the demos to arrive and il give you a report then :).....

checked out tubes and intide today tubes seem to have the best deal what ye think rocky point surf board 7'8, + wetsuit, booties, fins ,strap ,€480 as a package. they seem to know what there talking about the wetsuit was some brand they onlt use cant think of name prob go for 5.3.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

checked out tubes and intide today tubes seem to have the best deal what ye think rocky point surf board 7'8, + wetsuit, booties, fins ,strap ,€480 as a package. they seem to know what there talking about the wetsuit was some brand they onlt use cant think of name prob go for 5.3.:D

It was prob a c-skin, they have those wetsuits and rash vests branded with their logo.
    I've used c-skin suits and i think that they are good.
    according to the tubes site those 5/3 are flatlocked stiched, i don't know how big of a difference there is in flatlock vs GBS, maybe someone else can say?
    5/3 best for all year round.
    you have a hard rack on your car or will you need a soft rack aswell? if you need a soft rack you may aswell get it there as he may give you a few eur off as your buying the package.

the blurb from their site:
    7'8'' MINIMAL (epoxy),5/3 or 4/3 TUBES Wetsuit,3mm Booties, fins, wax and leash-EUR 480

Tubes 5/3 Steamer 175 EUR available in WOMENS and MENS
    Full length suit with:
    -100% stretch neoprene in the arms and paddle points
    -50% stretch in the legs and torso.
    -Flatlocked seams

you have a hard rack on your car or will you need a soft rack aswell? if you need a soft rack you may aswell get it there as he may give you a few eur off as your buying the package.

have a 2 door car so have to get hard rack goin to cost me e120 in a car parts shop i checked out!! yeah it was c-skins arite thanks :)

have a 2 door car so have to get hard rack goin to cost me e120 in a car parts shop i checked out!! yeah it was c-skins arite thanks :)

just get some roof rack pads... thats what ive allways used... prefer knowing my boards not going to do a leathal wepon impresion :eek:

Advertisement