Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Softening red/green peppers

• 20-07-2008 9:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

I was in a restaurant today and had chicken with peppers on ciabatta bread and it was ... spectacular.

Im wondering though.. how they softened the peppers so that they were almost gooey?? They were cut into very thin strips so maybe that made them easier to oven or grill.

They lost all their crunchiness which was what I liked about it.

Im tempted to cut one up and test out a few ways of doing it.

Any ideas!?! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Is they were gooey then they were probably ovan-baked and then had their skin removed. The other way to remove skin (which is probably what you tasted) is to hold them over an open gas flame but it doesn't lead to the same texture as the ovan baked ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭deemy

they might have been oven baked but its possible that they may have used frozen peppers :( When bought in bulk they mostly come in very thin strips and retain no crunchyness whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Cut in half. Remove seeds. Place on oiled baking tray. Put in oven at 180. If you leave them for 25 minutes they'll be cooked and the skins will be black. You can take the skins off in one piece, and thinly slice the pepper for use in salads/sandwiches or whatever else takes your fancy.

Blackening the skins over an open flame lets you take the skin off, but the pepper isn't as mushily cooked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Excellent stuff. I'll give all that a try. Thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭SnowMonkey

Soak themin water theyle take in mositure then back them remeber there going gooE not baked you need to soak themin water and the baken them where they wayfer thin ????

i saw a chef do that once in a kitchen i worked in she gota fired a week later... but serously there arnt many rules to cooking...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I cook mine under a hot grill until they are totally black and then put them into a bowl or the like and cover with cling film. Wait a while - and the skin comes off. And they are nice and soft. I usually run them under a tap to get all the skin off too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

I slice mine, then put them in a saucepan with a big big heap of butter over a medium-high heat.
    In about 10 mins they'll be all soft and yum. Then I usually lash a good dash of balsamic vinegar in at the end.
    No need to take of the skins, that drives me nuts, I just dont have the patience.
    My mother, a devoted take-the-skin-off-person has been brought over to my way of thinking with this recipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Grilled/roasted peppers are divine, deliciously sweet....nyom....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Murt10

olaola wrote: »
    I cook mine under a hot grill until they are totally black and then put them into a bowl or the like and cover with cling film. Wait a while - and the skin comes off. And they are nice and soft. I usually run them under a tap to get all the skin off too.

Same thing really. I usually pop mine into a plastic bag.

Advertisement