Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Tools

Options
  • 20-07-2008 9:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭

Not sure which forum to post this in... Opened up my van this morning to find all my power tools missing. €4000 worth, all top brands. The Gards came around and took a statement but said it's highly unlikely to get them back, which I figured. I doubt Quinn-Direct will cover any of the van contents but do you reckon the house insurance may cover as it was parked in my driveway? This puts me out of work until I can buy new tools and have my van repaired and an alarm fitted. A bunch of bastards. The man across the road from me seems to have a CCTV camera fitted to the front of his house and it's directly in sight of where the hoors would have had their car pulled up to load the tools. So if I was able to obtain the registration, which is quite likely, I may have some way of redeeming them. Anyone any experience with this at all? Happened between midnight and 2am this morning. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

I've had a whole van load of top quality tools stolen once and bits and pieces stolen from sites on a regular basis.
    It's highly unlikely you'll get anything from insurance company as tools were not stored in a secure place.
    I am told that tools stolen in Limerick are sold in street markets in Galway or Cork and Visa versa. The market in Limerick has a wide selection of secondhand tools which everyone suspects of having been stolen. But not stolen locally. So. if you know anyone in other towns and City's with markets, ask them to keep a look out.
    Hope you get back on your feet soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,108 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Consumer Issues may be the best place for this thread.

Moved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Not sure which forum to post this in... Opened up my van this morning to find all my power tools missing. €4000 worth, all top brands. The Gards came around and took a statement but said it's highly unlikely to get them back, which I figured. I doubt Quinn-Direct will cover any of the van contents but do you reckon the house insurance may cover as it was parked in my driveway? This puts me out of work until I can buy new tools and have my van repaired and an alarm fitted. A bunch of bastards. The man across the road from me seems to have a CCTV camera fitted to the front of his house and it's directly in sight of where the hoors would have had their car pulled up to load the tools. So if I was able to obtain the registration, which is quite likely, I may have some way of redeeming them. Anyone any experience with this at all? Happened between midnight and 2am this morning. Thanks.

Ring Quinn... I know Royal & Sun Alliance Light Commercial Vehicle insurance covers tools so why shouldn't Quinns??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I found it impossible to get contents covered on any insurance policy. I have since invested in an Outback Van Vault strong box and have this bolted to the floor.
    http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/products.php?cat=Secure%20Power%20Tool%20Storage

It may be worth checking some of the local open air markets, etc as you will always get tools being sold off at these.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

I'd get down to the Kilkenny Car bootsale, its one of the biggest in Ireland for selling secondhand tools.;) Its constantly been raided by the cops for stolen tools and because of it location to Dublin the best place to off load them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

There is another big one between Clara and Moate on sats, I even saw The Taoiseach there once , I heard they are going to Germany with them nowadays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭cormthechippy

someone suggested buying tools in northern ireland and they'd be cheaper than down here? anyone any suggestions? wondering where'd be a good place selling top brands at good prices up there... the Mc Quillans of northern ireland per say. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

I feel sorry for your man,,

anyway, regarding the tools there is a DIY section on boards maybe post your enquiry for shops up north on those boards, or is there a northern board on here in the regional section?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

someone suggested buying tools in northern ireland and they'd be cheaper than down here? anyone any suggestions? wondering where'd be a good place selling top brands at good prices up there... the Mc Quillans of northern ireland per say. thanks
    Ebay can be a good source, specify whether the tools are genuine. There is alott of counterfeit Makita stuff on the market, particularly in the cordless range. Also the Honda "Boss" Generators.
    (How's it going Boss)

Its a buyers market out there with tools at the moment, there is alott of business going bust in the building trade, and contractors strapped for cash trying to off load their tools before the liquidators get their hands on them. Suggest the Buy and sell, Gumtree, Boards adds, etc You would be crazy to buy new. Make sure you get a receipt with the serial numbers on them.

I have lost two full toolboxes in the past, curses have applied to the mothers of these culprits.

Advertisement