Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Polo- Wheel Lock Nut/Bolt

Options
  • 20-07-2008 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

Hi All,

First time posting here. I have my driving test on Wednesday and took my car to a tyre shop during the week to get the tracking fixed. While there I was told i needed two new tyres- so I said grand. Wanted the car ship shape for the test. I leave the car and come back later to be told that they couldn't take the wheels off becaued they couldn't find the wheel lock nut/bolt whatever- basically an allen key for the wheel. Apparently I was never given one when I bought the car.

Anyway I said it was grand that I'd do the test on the tyres I have and try to sort it out later. So I come down this morning to find I have a flat tyre- wouldn't you know it! I cant take the wheel off the car cos I dont have this one stupid part...

I contacted the main dealer during the week about it and they said I can get a garage to drill out the bolt and maybe get a replacement off VW.

Just have a few questions- the guy in the garage made it sound like each is unique to each car, is this true or is the lock nut just unique to each model of car? If I bring it to a garage will they be able to take the wheels off? Bit worried now as I have the test on Wednesday and was supposed to have two lessons between then and now- and If i'm waiting to get a part from VW I can kiss that goodbye.

Would appreciate any advice. Thanks guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Would it be possible to fix the puncture with one of those aerosal kits that fill the tyre with air and a glue.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Most VW dealers will have all possible adapters - one of which should suit your locking bolt. That's assuming your alloys are VW rather than an aftermarket set.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Wheelsonthebus

Ya got that foam stuff, gonna use it to get me to the garage tomorrow.

Ya the VW dealer here kinda just sells parts rather than doing repairs and says that he doesn't have a direct replacement although my tyre wasn't flat the last time I spoke to him.

Just hope the garage I bring it to tomorrow can take the wheel off. The tyre place that I brought it to during the week couldn't take them off- although I'm not sure if that because yer man was afraid of damaging the wheels.

Was gonna borrow one off another Polo owner but no one I know has alloys

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

As crosstownk already stated they should have the adapters, but incase they are tryin to make money off u etc. by drilling the nut out, ring around a few VW dealers and tell them the same story and see what they come out with. If u go to the origional Vw dealer it was bought off, they could have it on there system as "Locknut K" or whatever.There could be a set of 26 different lock nuts etc. for the polo if u understand me.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Wheelsonthebus

Ya makes sense. Thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement