Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenants upped and left!

Options
  • 20-07-2008 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

Hi,

Social Welfare tenants moved into the house I rent about 3 months ago, paid a deposit of one months rent and everything seemed fine. It is a 12 month lease. The rent is normally paid on the first of each month. The rent last month was two weeks late. This month, they did not pay the rent at all.

I tried to contact the tenants - I rang them, txted them etc.. nothing. So today I went to the house, it looked empty and abondoned. When I let myself in it was clear they had moved out and had left a few bags of rubbish behind - dirty feckers.

Anyway, I am betting none of the bills were paid, call it a hunch. The tenancy was fully registered with PRTB etc..

What should I do now? They wont respond to any attempts at contact and dont answer the phone...just nothing!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

A tenant can only terminate a fixed term tenancy where there the landlord has been in breach of his or her obligations.

No offence to your tenants but they wouuld not be a good mark for court proceedings (small claims or not) and therefore you should be posting a "house to let" on daft.ie right now.

ESB bills should be in the tenants name and you do a reading now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

In summary: Change the locks, and be thankful they left at all. It would be worse if they'd stayed!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,398 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Check your rights first - while it might look abandoned, is it?

See this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055309275

Advertisement