Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Trackers

Options
  • 20-07-2008 10:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

Does anybody hav any info on car trackers, or a place you would recommend that fits them?

Things like being a drain on the battery, and the potential for a 'professional' thief to be able to disarm it are (unfounded?) concerns of mine. Also is it a messy instillation process, do they need to take bits of trim etc apart?

thank you

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The idea of a tracker is that it should not be able to be found easily by a thief. Trim pieces would probably need to be removed but they should be replaced so that there are no obvious signs of where it is located (otherwise defeating the purpose!).

IIRC what most thieves do if they suspect a tracker is to park the car for a week or so. if its collected then there's a tracker. If its still there, then there isn't one installed!

Power usage shouldn't be that much but I guess you should discuss properly with the installer. I don't really know any companys incidentally.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

kbannon wrote: »

Power usage shouldn't be that much but I guess you should discuss properly with the installer. I don't really know any companys incidentally.

Well if you think your mobile phone can run off its tinny little battery for days and days at a time ( making calls + sending texts, nice colour screen etc..). There is no reason a tracker couldn't be made to use much less current... .

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I agree, but its linked into the alarm system, etc. and there could be ones out there that are power hungry so I wouldn't assume anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

We have them in our fleet at work they are very well hidden so as not tobe tampered with by the driver they were fitted by a company called trimble based in the uk. But there not cheap !!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 mark_eire

Just be aware of certain jammers on sale on certain auction websites which apparently block the signal and make them useless.
    Hopefully the dirty scumbags in this country haven't got their hands on them yet :(.

• Advertisement
Advertisement