Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beijing

• 20-07-2008 10:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭

Hello again all,

I'm off to Beijing on the 1st August for about 3 weeks. Wondered if anyone had any suggestions of things that are a must see, also decent places to eat and generally any tips for, I hate to say it, surviving for 3 weeks. I'm going to be working 5pm till 4am, so not really looking for night life, but all input welcome. Thanks in advance. I had a search and couldn't find any threads, sorry if I missed them.

John

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭damienom

Howya Lump,

I was there on holidays last year, some of the things I'd suggest would be...

Great Wall is a must - we went to the Mutianya section which is in fairly good condition. You get a chair lift up and a luge back down. There's a dynamite restaurant there too.

Summer Palace and Forbidden City are good for a wander around. The Summer Palace is amazing, well worth a visit.

I'm sure you'll wander down to Tiananmen Square at some point so you should have a look at the Forbidden City, Mao's Mausoleum was closed when we were there for "essential maintenance" to the body but is open again. The queues for it can be unreal, you're not allowed take pictures of the body and file past it so it might not be worth waiting too long to do.

The Silk Market can be a pain in the swiss but is a good spot if you're looking for some cheap gear. If you come out the main door, turn left and left again there's an O'Briens Sandwich Bar if you get homesick.

I didn't get a chance to do it but the Underground City is meant to be worth a visit too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

You're in luck John. It just so happens theres a track and field meet on about that time in Beijing. Could be decent.
    http://en.beijing2008.cn/

Pighead.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭ems_12

Don't forget the Temple of Heaven, with the Echo Wall!! One of my favourite in Beijing, along with the Summer Palace.

The underground city looks great - I think we looked for this but obv not hard enough, what a pity!

Are you going to the Opening Ceremony for the Olympics? The main buildings (Bird's Nest and swimming pool) are right next to each other and are quite impressive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Pighead wrote: »
    You're in luck John. It just so happens theres a track and field meet on about that time in Beijing. Could be decent.
    http://en.beijing2008.cn/

Pighead.

Suprisingly that's why I'm going - To work on the games.

Advertisement