Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dave Mooney

• 20-07-2008 10:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭

Scored again today, and apparently a Chelsea scout was there to watch him play.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Could become the new Claudio Pizarro so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Chelsea, lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I don't want him to move.....got a Cork jersey arriving in the post and I want his name on the back....might go for Gamble if he leaves. He's also the sort of player who can make the difference in Europe, and its great that its possible to watch him regulary. What will he do though with Anelka? Bit of a fight on for the number 39.

I also want him to be called up to the Ireland team as an EL player.

Coppell was also at the match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Haha hes a good player but Chelsea? You've gota be having a laugh.

Maby they see something in him? What is he like? 23?

According to RTE this is by the way.

• Advertisement

There's no way on god's green earth Chelsea are looking at signing Mooney.

None.

End of.

So they sent a scout there for the laugh?

So they sent a scout there for the laugh?

Maybe they didn't send him there.

Maybe the guy who is Chelsea's scout in Ireland was just at the game.

I know a guy who used to scout for Manchester United over here. An Irish guy who liked football, and liked to go to matches.

Doesn't mean he was actually working all the time.

Anyway, even if he was sent to look at Mooney, his report will tell them something like this:

Looks a decent player, but not near good enough for a team hoping to challenge for the EPL and CL.

So, again.

Mooney won't be going to Chelsea. Ever.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

He was on holidays probably

Des wrote: »
    Maybe they didn't send him there.

Maybe the guy who is Chelsea's scout in Ireland was just at the game.

I know a guy who used to scout for Manchester United over here. An Irish guy who liked football, and liked to go to matches.

Doesn't mean he was actually working all the time.

Anyway, even if he was sent to look at Mooney, his report will tell them something like this:

Looks a decent player, but not near good enough for a team hoping to challenge for the EPL and CL.

So, again.

Mooney won't be going to Chelsea. Ever.

Well said in fairness Des.

He was on holidays probably

Was expecting a lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭brick tamland

I'm sure he'll be off to England pretty soon but i''m also a 100% sure it wont be to Chelsea.

Reading would be a good move for him in my Opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Its more than likely that there wasn't a Chelsea scout there at all in fairness.It does say.........

Reading boss Steve Coppell was in United Park for Sunday's encounter, while a Chelsea scout was also believed to be in attendance.

estie, you should get a job for a tabloid.

If Mooney goes to Reading, Cork City may as well start wearing blue and white hoops.

Cork are the Ajax of the Eircom League...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

I cant believe how good he is now, i used to play with him when i was younger and he was nothing special at all, just very very average. i was a lot better than him anyway i used to get my game ahead of him, so it should be chelsea scouts should be looking at me :p

Ah good luck to him though, hope he gets even better. Another Tallaght lad, Tallaght produces soem of the best players in this country - Keane, Dunne and well Duffers from just outside Tallaght to!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Chelsea, lol.

He's the missing jigsaw piece to european domination

I cant believe how good he is now, i used to play with him when i was younger and he was nothing special at all, just very very average. i was a lot better than him anyway i used to get my game ahead of him, so it should be chelsea scouts should be looking at me :p

Ah good luck to him though, hope he gets even better. Another Tallaght lad, Tallaght produces soem of the best players in this country - Keane, Dunne and well Duffers from just outside Tallaght to!

Thats the same with Chris Fagan who plays for Man Utd reserves. I wasn't as good as him but I wasn't far off. I was shocked when I heard he was with UTD.

Then another lad plays with Ireland u-17, and I was much better than him, as were so many others on the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Cork are the Ajax of the Eircom League...

We do lose more players to foreign teams than most.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

Thats the same with Chris Fagan who plays for Man Utd reserves. I wasn't as good as him but I wasn't far off. I was shocked when I heard he was with UTD.
    Fagan was released in the summer, had trials at a few clubs, and was at the Glen Hoddle Academy.
    mentioned in a short article about some of the players released here: http://manunitedyouth.wordpress.com/2008/06/07/where-next-for-those-moving-on/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I'm surprised Roy Keane hasn't come sniffing considering his love of signing Irish players. (Or Spurs ones too. At least trying to anyway)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

dsmythy wrote: »
    I'm surprised Roy Keane hasn't come sniffing considering his love of signing Irish players. (Or Spurs ones too. At least trying to anyway)

It was rumoured he was interested in Mooney (surprise, surprise).

So that's Wolves, Plymouth, Sunderland, Crystal Palace, Reading and Chelsea that have had scouts over/expressed interest or rumours of it anyway. Another week, another club...

Not sure if Coppell or the Chelsea scout would have been impressed by Moons against Drogs, wasn't one of his better games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

So far, Coppell has said he would be willing to pay €500k for him. Thats great :rolleyes: . Carlisles "offer" of €100k has been laughed at in its rejection.

Mooney has said he aint going anywhere for now. He will stay until at least the end of the season. When he inevitably does go, it will be at least €1m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭sitout

keane has send scouts to see him on more than one occasion this season. the smart money is on sunderland

the smart Mooney stays in Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,960 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

the smart Mooney stays in Cork.

Nobody smart stays in Cork. ;)

Amazing run of goals from Mooney atm. Fair play to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Fagan was released in the summer, had trials at a few clubs, and was at the Glen Hoddle Academy.
    mentioned in a short article about some of the players released here: http://manunitedyouth.wordpress.com/2008/06/07/where-next-for-those-moving-on/

a good read there. It reminds just how tough it is to make it in professional football. In most cases its such a gamble due to the competition for places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Maybe he's Chelsea's 2nd choice after Kaka?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

I'm sure he'll be off to England pretty soon but i''m also a 100% sure it wont be to Chelsea.

Reading would be a good move for him in my Opinion.

Mooney will not move to a sh*t club like Carlisle. Reading, Coppell and Dolan can f*ck off. They haven't a hope of signing him anyway. Mooney will only leave for Premier League football or football in a top European league. He certainly will not leave before the end of the season.

Mooney has said he will stay in Cork. He wants to win trophies with City and play European football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Pure Cork wrote: »

Mooney will not move to a sh*t club like Carlisle. Reading, Coppell and Dolan can f*ck off. They haven't a hope of signing him anyway. Mooney will only leave for Premier League football or football in a top European league. He certainly will not leave before the end of the season.

Mooney has said he will stay in Cork. He wants to win trophies with City and play European football.
    Is this post a wind up? Ask anyone in the Eircom League if they would sign for Reading if given the chance, 99% would say yes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭sitout

Is this post a wind up? Ask anyone in the Eircom League if they would sign for Reading if given the chance, 99% would say yes

Maybe he is in the 1% catagory then! I would love him to see out the rest of the season with us and then cash in to the tune of a million squid. Then we could buy 5/6 quality players to add to our pretty good squad and rule the leauge of ireland for the next few years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I can only see Mooney moving up in the footballing world. He's been outstanding for Cork this year, after doing very well for Longford last year.

I see his future away from the el. I don't think any offer Cork could make would topple any from an EPL club.

I think Reading would be a bad move. He shouldn't settle for a Championship side. If he wants to move to England, he should go to someone in the mid-region of the EPL, at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Is he that good? or are you lot having us on?

You're saying he should go to mid table at least, so clubs like Man City, West Ham, Spurs, Newcastle, Boro...at least!

Most of those teams have spent around 40m on strikers recently...

Boysoboys if this guy is as good as you say he is, things are looking very bright indeed! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Reading had a £500k bid for Noel Hunt turned down earlier today according to the Scottish Herald.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Noel Hunt...a poor mans John O'Flynn.

Good piece tonight on MNS about the comparison between Mark Quigley and Mooney.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/mns/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

zAbbo wrote: »
    Is he that good? or are you lot having us on?

Finishing top scorer in the league playing for easily relegated Longford last season was some achievement, most thought it was a one off but hes flying again this season

2 almost 3 great goals in this game v Derry
    goals at 4:10 4:50 and unbelievable effort at 5:10 Behans winner at 5:37 is a cracker aswell.

• Advertisement

He shouldn't settle for a Championship side. If he wants to move to England, he should go to someone in the mid-region of the EPL, at least.

With respect, the jump from eL to premiership is absolutely massive and one which cannot be easily made. Roy Keane aside, I don't think anyone has made the transition easily. Mooney, and any other eL player, would do well to get a seasons experience in the Championship before trying his hand at the Premiership. Kevin Doyle and Shane Long being the best examples there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Pure Cork wrote: »

Awwwww. You guys are adorable. Cute as buttons I say.

Some facts:

- The step up from the Eircom League to the Championship is very significant. A step up from the Eircom league to a team challenging for the top six in the premiership is lol enormous;

- Dave Mooney would rather be playing in the Reading first team and challenging for promotion to the premiership than playing in the Eircom league. Better pay, better career prospects, better training facilities, and much better football. It's nice that he presses all of your buttons though and says the right things;

- In terms of his career development, it would be much better for him to go to Wolves / Reading / decent Championship team and get in the first team than to go to Chelsea to play reserve team football / get loaned out to a league one or two feeder side. By doing that it can mean that he lays the foundations to be where he dreams of being when he comes into his peak in four years time and should ensure a higher overall career expectation;

You guys really, really need to get a reality check and know your place in the grander scheme of things. Jesus.

EDIT: Gimmick chimed in with something sensible as I typed. Good.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Awwwww. You guys are adorable. Cute as buttons I say.

You guys really, really need to get a reality check and know your place in the grander scheme of things. Jesus.

I take it you are talking about Cork people?

The Chelsea thing was put to bed at the start of this thread. I've been reading the rest of it as piss-take tbh, maybe you should have a re-read. ;)

Some facts:

- Dave Mooney would rather be playing in the Reading first team and challenging for promotion to the premiership than playing in the Eircom league.

Did he tell you that? If not, its not a fact.
    Better pay, better career prospects, better training facilities, and much better football.

I would debate that slightly. He could as easily lose his way over there, and not return the same player. Jason Byrne springs to mind in that regard. As for standard of football, its not as huge a gap as what you may imagine. Lower region championship level is not that far away from the higher standard eL.

• Advertisement

bohsman wrote: »
    I take it you are talking about Cork people?

Well just Cork City fans...for now! :)
    The Chelsea thing was put to bed at the start of this thread. I've been reading the rest of it as piss-take tbh, maybe you should have a re-read. ;)

look at the post I quoted!! :eek:

gimmick wrote: »
    I would debate that slightly. He could as easily lose his way over there, and not return the same player. Jason Byrne springs to mind in that regard. As for standard of football, its not as huge a gap as what you may imagine. Lower region championship level is not that far away from the higher standard eL.

Jason Byrne doesn't look as good as Mooney does though, right? He just wasn't good enough.

As to your second point, have you been to many Championship games? The gap in pace and technical ability is huge sir. Huge.

Byrne was unlucky with injuries, Cardiff signing him was a strange one anyway with all the overpaid over the hill strikers they had at the club. And yes, I think Mooney is better than Byrne, but what do I know, I never rated Doyle when he was over here.

I dont think you're comparing like with like in the championship - el debate, you watch UCD, they try to kill football and are a really really bad team. I dont watch much of the championship but I dont think the top 3 in the el would get relegated from it.

Jason Byrne doesn't look as good as Mooney does though, right? He just wasn't good enough.

Byrne was top scorer in the eL many times, and for me anyway, it was a surprise he floundered. Though that may have been due to lack of oppurtunity as alluded to above.
    As to your second point, have you been to many Championship games? The gap in pace and technical ability is huge sir. Huge.

I've been to QPR more than my fair share of times. I have seen them play the likes of Rotherham, Plymouth and Burnley. Nothing amazing, nothing technically superior to eL. I have also been to a crap load League One games, where I can assure, the standrad, generally speaking, is below that of top eL clubs.

bohsman wrote: »
    Byrne was unlucky with injuries, Cardiff signing him was a strange one anyway with all the overpaid over the hill strikers they had at the club. And yes, I think Mooney is better than Byrne, but what do I know, I never rated Doyle when he was over here.

I dont think you're comparing like with like in the championship - el debate, you watch UCD, they try to kill football and are a really really bad team. I dont watch much of the championship but I dont think the top 3 in the el would get relegated from it.
    UCD do their best with limited resources and will never realistically be able to build a team to challenge further up the table due to the club's structure. You generally get 100% effort and Mahon is tactically sharp so I never feel shortchanged. Anyway...

UCD play the top teams in the EL though right?? I don't go to every home game obv, but what I have seen over the past few years has never really impressed me. Bristol vs Southampton and Charlton vs Southampton did impress me from last year.
    Byrne was top scorer in the eL many times, and for me anyway, it was a surprise he floundered. Though that may have been due to lack of opportunity as alluded to above.

Well, the key is that he went to a club with the likes of Fowler and JFH on the roster as Oscar points out above. Which is my point with Mooney. Saying "zomg he's gone to Chelsea!!" when he is never going to be first choice is silly. A move to Burnley wouldn't sound glamorous - but if he got to start every week it would be the right move for his career.

On a final point with respect to Byrne - if he had moved when he was 23 he would have had a much better shout of making it over there long term. I think we could all agree on that, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

id say there was just some lad there wearing a chelsea jacket and suddenly alarm bells started ringin:rolleyes:

Or possibly someone affiliated with Chelsea decided to take in a game while he was around Dublin for the weekend. One way or other, i doubt Chelsea will be looking at with an interest to buy Dave Mooney, good and all as he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

UCD play the top teams in the EL though right?? I don't go to every home game obv, but what I have seen over the past few years has never really impressed me. Bristol vs Southampton and Charlton vs Southampton did impress me from last year.
    As everyone knows, UCD specialise in making much better teams look embarrassingly bad. I don't know how they do it, but they consistently succeed, especially against us. If you wanted to make sure that someone never wanted to watch a game of football anywhere ever again, you would take them to a UCD game, preferably in the Belfield Bowl, a place with so little atmosphere that it would strip anyone of the will to live.

I think we might be a little unfair to UCD. They are nowhere near as much an "anti football" side as what they were before. or maybe I am just saying that because their hex over us has been forgotten!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

Did he tell you that? If not, its not a fact.

having had trials at both levels i 1000000% assure you that eircom league would scratch the surface of the worst league 2 sides. this is fact. the EL champions would struggle in league 2, STRUGGLE!

• Advertisement
Advertisement