Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

It's hardly stinging though is it?

If you stick to the rules, you have no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

I use a soft gym bag as my carry on. Never once asked to put it in the cage. They're only targeting people they think they can get, don't make yourself a target.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

devnull wrote: »
    It's hardly stinging though is it?

If you stick to the rules, you have no problem.

I fly every other week with FR and ive seen them particularly at LBA try their level best to extract money from pax, they tend to look at women (or men) travelling with kids knowing full well there's a chance one of their bags might just be ever so slightly too big, one time I seen one woman in tears before travelling with 3 kids trying to repack her suitcase which incidentally wasn't even that much bigger but they wouldn't allow her through unless she repacked or paid the outrageous fee which is what they are hoping for so they can earn their commission as i said I've never seen this on EI, even the few times I travelled with easyjet i didn't see it.

I use a soft gym bag as my carry on. Never once asked to put it in the cage. They're only targeting people they think they can get, don't make yourself a target.
    I never do I'd nearly sooner walk out the airport and get the ferry on principle rather than give these vultures money.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

jonnny68 wrote: »
    I fly every other week with FR and ive seen them particularly at LBA try their level best to extract money from pax, they tend to look at women (or men) travelling with kids knowing full well there's a chance one of their bags might just be ever so slightly too big,

But the bag is still too big isn't it?

If it wasn't too big, nobody would be able to extract money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭joeysoap

devnull wrote: »
    But the bag is still too big isn't it?

If it wasn't too big, nobody would be able to extract money.

Having travelled through LBA a few times I can confirm that the Ryanair staff there are quite sticky regarding on board baggage. They monitor bags very thoroughly.

joeysoap wrote: »
    Having travelled through LBA a few times I can confirm that the Ryanair staff there are quite sticky regarding on board baggage. They monitor bags very thoroughly.

It's either too big or it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

When you book a flight you agree to the T & C.IF the bag is too big ,the are entitled to charge you.People are making out they are victims of some sort of sting/scam,I don't like how they do business but if you follow the guidelines they wont be any bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭deuces wild

I never do I'd nearly sooner walk out the airport and get the ferry on principle rather than give these vultures money.

Yet you fly with them "every other week"........Why is that?Do you perhaps get where you want to go,at a reasonable cost and mostly on time?Or do you just like giving those "vultures" money?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Well clearly you wouldn't, because if you did it would be incredibly stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Only over for short breaks, never had an oversized bag, never purchased duty free as cannot be bothered carrying it. Never been bothered by Ryanair staff or anyone else for that matter. Merely stating that I observed Ryanair staff at LBA are very observant/enthusiastic on cabin baggage at this airport. Definitely an airport NOT to have an oversize/overweight bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭kranbo

Bought 2 soft wheelie cases from Argos a couple of years ago which are the exact recommended Ryanair size. Always get stopped for fitting in the metal cage - always pass :pac::pac: have to laugh at their disappointed reaction:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

kranbo wrote: »
    Bought 2 soft wheelie cases from Argos a couple of years ago which are the exact recommended Ryanair size. Always get stopped for fitting in the metal cage - always pass :pac::pac: have to laugh at their disappointed reaction:):):)

I think I have the exact same ones from Argos.. No matter how you stuff them full - and they hold a LOT - they always fit in the cage.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

I have worn out a few wheelie bags... they do a lot of mileage! My latest is a Dunnes one that is exactly the same dimensions so have 5 cm more than previous and it is incredibly light at 1.49 kilo I think. It has two outer zip portion which I find handy especially as will take a netbook that needs to be dug out at security.

Yet you fly with them "every other week"........Why is that?Do you perhaps get where you want to go,at a reasonable cost and mostly on time?Or do you just like giving those "vultures" money?

Because they are unfortunately the only airline that fly to my destination from Dublin, otherwise I'd use another airline.

They'll check most bags regardless, is it any wonder you have delays when staff check most bags even those who just by looking at you know they are not oversized but as I said they are clearly on commission so will try and sting pax anytime they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

They'll check most bags regardless, is it any wonder you have delays when staff check most bags even those who just by looking at you know they are not oversized but as I said they are clearly on commission so will try and sting pax anytime they can.
    any proof of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

yabadabado wrote: »
    any proof of this?

A close friend of mine is a manager for the main baggage handling agent at a large airport in the UK. His firm handles Ryanair flights. He told me that Ryanair pays his firm 40% of all fees they collect.

However, baggage handling agents do not themselves receive a monetary percentage of this 40% by way of commission, although they are targetted and often have inter-team competitions to see which teams / individuals can collect the most fees.

A close friend of mine is a manager for the main baggage handling agent at a large airport in the UK. His firm handles Ryanair flights. He told me that Ryanair pays his firm 40% of all fees they collect.

However, baggage handling agents do not themselves receive a monetary percentage of this 40% by way of commission, although they are targetted and often have inter-team competitions to see which teams / individuals can collect the most fees.
    That is actually even more disturbing, treating it like a competition targeting people, sickens me actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,194 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Better not get involved in business as that is exactly what most businesses do. The cop on bit is to make sure you comply with the businesses rules

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Aer Lingus aren't as strict about oversize luggage but the problem with that is that it is often hard to get room to but my bag in the overhead section, and instead have to keep it at my seat. So in one way being strict about luggage is good for passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

FYI, for anyone flying through Faro airport with Ryanair. Passengers are allowed to carry on one additional duty-free bag in addition to their one piece of luggage. This didn't seem to be common knowledge, but I confirmed it with Airport Information.

However, I'd still double check to make sure that this stays current before purchasing any duty-free

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭deuces wild

dudara wrote: »
    FYI, for anyone flying through Faro airport with Ryanair. Passengers are allowed to carry on one additional duty-free bag in addition to their one piece of luggage. This didn't seem to be common knowledge, but I confirmed it with Airport Information.

However, I'd still double check to make sure that this stays current before purchasing any duty-free

There is no duty free on internal EU flights.......

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

There is no duty free on internal EU flights.......

You know what I mean - colloquial term for airport shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

dudara wrote: »

One of those signs has appeared in Manchester T3... you can bring one 'duty free' bag along with your one carry on piece of luggage.

As I mentioned previously it might be a good idea to collate a list of airports where you can bring "duty free" in addition to your luggage.

So far if im not mistaken the following airports allow this.

Leeds Bradford
    Manchester
    Stansted
    Faro

If there are any more anyone knows about let us know, useful to know. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

As I mentioned previously it might be a good idea to collate a list of airports where you can bring "duty free" in addition to your luggage.

So far if im not mistaken the following airports allow this.

Leeds Bradford
    Manchester
    Stansted
    Faro

If there are any more anyone knows about let us know, useful to know. ;-)

Jees ... only a matter of time before we see the "Ryanair wouldn't let me bring on Duty free bag full of dirty underpants"

:D

Jees ... only a matter of time before we see the "Ryanair wouldn't let me bring on Duty free bag full of dirty underpants"

:D

This is exactly what will happen though.

Bristol

• Advertisement

Lanzarote

Advertisement