Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Gatwick have a sign saying 4 low cost airlines allow 1 additional plastic bag. so add Gatwick.

Talking to a fairly frequent flyer yesterday and he always takes a duty free bag in his cabin bag. After clearing security he removes the plastic bag, puts his book, sandwitches etc into the plastic bag, hands over his cabin bag for putting into the hold (free) and says its much easier to access food etc while on board. So he is using the airlines own policy to avoid their hefty food charges. Nice one. Also says that when you get to your destination you don't have to lug you cabin bag off the aircraft, up and down steps or through long corridors, just collect it off the carousel. He mostly flys EasyJet from Gatwick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Jees ... only a matter of time before we see the "Ryanair wouldn't let me bring on Duty free bag full of dirty underpants"

:D

Wouldn't be surprised but while we still can would be good for people to know what airports allow this ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

Brussels Charleroi

However, the staff there are quite rough. They checked about 3 times each bag and one of them asked the 2 girls in front of me to put their handbags in their suitcases. It's RA policy and is clearly outlined, but she litterally barked at them 'you two!'. Her colleague was much nicer to me and asked me politely to do the same (I have no problem with it, but I find it silly since I took the bag off my suitcase as soon as I reached my sit)

I thought that the duty free bags had to be sealed? If so, you can't really use them as an extra carry-on bag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

joeysoap wrote: »
    Gatwick have a sign saying 4 low cost airlines allow 1 additional plastic bag. so add Gatwick.

Talking to a fairly frequent flyer yesterday and he always takes a duty free bag in his cabin bag. After clearing security he removes the plastic bag, puts his book, sandwitches etc into the plastic bag, hands over his cabin bag for putting into the hold (free) and says its much easier to access food etc while on board. So he is using the airlines own policy to avoid their hefty food charges. Nice one. Also says that when you get to your destination you don't have to lug you cabin bag off the aircraft, up and down steps or through long corridors, just collect it off the carousel. He mostly flys EasyJet from Gatwick.

Ive not flown much with easyjet, but at 3 euros for the regular sandwiches and 4.50 for the premium range, I'd hardly call the prices on the Ryanair menu 'hefty'.

For around that price you can get a bottle of water/mineral, choice of sandwich, and a snack (packet of crisps/bar of chocolate) in Boots at Dublin airport or Superdrug at Belfast airport. I've had the 'basic' Ry sandwich and it's pretty poor. Also had the EJ 'cheese melt' and it wasn't much better Ry sandwiches are made in Dunmurray outside Belfast, Boots are made in England, the best by a country mile are the Superdrug sandwiches, made in KERRY!! biggest problem is getting the food out of your carry on bag without disrupting the 'flow' of boarding. Plastic bag carry on makes this easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

For around that price you can get a bottle of water/mineral, choice of sandwich, and a snack (packet of crisps/bar of chocolate) in Boots at Dublin airport or Superdrug at Belfast airport. I've had the 'basic' Ry sandwich and it's pretty poor. Also had the EJ 'cheese melt' and it wasn't much better Ry sandwiches are made in Dunmurray outside Belfast, Boots are made in England, the best by a country mile are the Superdrug sandwiches, made in KERRY!! biggest problem is getting the food out of your carry on bag without disrupting the 'flow' of boarding. Plastic bag carry on makes this easier.

For €3?

think superdrug is around £3.50 and boots somewhere around € 4.50 certainly under €5 (haven't flown out of Dublin since October and then it was through T2. Boots are in T1.

maybe someone who has purchased recently can confirm or update?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

...Anyone else find it hilarious that Ryanair is stickied on this forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

jonnny68 wrote: »
    As I mentioned previously it might be a good idea to collate a list of airports where you can bring "duty free" in addition to your luggage.

So far if im not mistaken the following airports allow this.

Leeds Bradford
    Manchester
    Stansted
    Faro

If there are any more anyone knows about let us know, useful to know. ;-)
    Luton has this sign up, with a specific exclusion for Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

biggest problem is getting the food out of your carry on bag without disrupting the 'flow' of boarding. Plastic bag carry on makes this easier.

Or just put whatever you want on board in a plastic bag at the top of your carry on, only takes a few seconds to pull it out.

I started buying the Ryanair sandwiches a few years ago. Their ham and cheese paninis were slightly cheaper than their equivalent in the terminal, certainly no worse quality, and it was filling up dead time where I'd be doing nothing else anyway.

If you want a cold sandwich then you're probably cheaper buying it before hand, and for drinks Boots is certainly the cheapest - but if you want something hot you may as well buy it on board. It's no dearer and saves time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Girona airport (Northern Spain) has signs up saying it is the law that you can bring 'duty free' bag on board in addition to your hand luggage.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

Luton has this sign up, with a specific exclusion for Ryanair.
    Just got a baggage reminder for Dub Maastricht - one bag including your purchases.....so, DUB doesn't go on the list??

Jamez735 wrote: »
    ...Anyone else find it hilarious that Ryanair is stickied on this forum?

Not really. People are lazy. If you didn't have it sticky'd there would be a new Ryanair thread every day.

Considering they flew about 70 Million passengers last year, there is bound to be some complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Layinghen wrote: »
    Girona airport (Northern Spain) has signs up saying it is the law that you can bring 'duty free' bag on board in addition to your hand luggage.

I havent passed through in a while but those signs were misleading before, what it was was that they were selling a plastic bag that was the exact luggage size, that you could put your carry on bag AND duty free inside and count as one piece.

Policy may be fine tuned now though

They are still selling those bags but if you just buy your bottle of booze it is put into a 'normal' plastic bag. Being nervous of Ryanair I quizzed the cashier that this as ok with Ryanair and she confirmed that it was. Had no problems getting past the guards dogs at the gate to get on the plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

great stuff, glad to hear it!

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Beagslife

I've just noticed that Ryanair charge an extra €5, if you book in a bag using 'manage my booking'. The normal rate only applies for bags booked when booking the flight.

I've been in the habit of adding a bag closer to the flight date, in case of a change of plan, or different baggage requirements.

Has this always been a feature?

They really do think of everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭dring

Layinghen wrote: »

All Spanish airports have this sign. Law designed to encourage airport shopping. Ryanair may still try to enforce their own law mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Never ceases to amaze me how people still pay for priority boarding when sometimes they don't even get on the plane first, there was some raised voices last week in LBA as those who paid for priority boarding were put on the bus from terminal gate to plane, they may have been first on the bus but by the time everyone piles on and then off they most certainly weren't the first to board the plane, so effectively they paid for nothing, but I've seen this happen before too, where you have to get a bus and there might only be 4/5 people who pay for priority boarding instead of putting the 4/5 on the bus from terminal gate to plane they sometimes just put everyone on (trying to keep up their turnaround time)

Farcical...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Ryanair carried almost 80 million international passengers last year, nearly 30 million more than any other airline.
    They must be doing something right.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/10127013/Ryanair-still-the-worlds-favourite-airline.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,194 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Of course they are doing something right. For most of the time, they are the cheapest and the most punctual

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭opa01_2000

Of course they are doing something right. For most of the time, they are the cheapest and the most punctual

Agree that FR is getting something right. Although there are lots of people saying they’ll never fly with FR again 80m people are flying per annum – can’t dispute that.

However on punctuality there is no independent evidence to support FR’s claims - my own experience would lead me to doubt this. An article on the BBC shows that while FR claims to have 90% punctuality last year there is no public information available to support this. The only public information available is from the UK Civil Aviation Authority for 10 UK airports and this shows that FR’s punctuality for these airports alone is 83% and is 13th of all airlines operating from these airports. There is no reason to dispute that FR doesn’t make up the other 7% punctuality on other airports, just no independent evidence to support it.

On the claim that FR is Europe’s most punctual airline FR says that it is comparing its punctuality figures with “the most recent Association of European Airlines published statistics”. However, that organisation has not published any figures since 2009 and has only 32 members – more than 200 European airlines are not members, including FR. So I think this comparison can be taken with a pinch of salt.

Full article can be found here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22659822

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

They easily make up that time. The smaller airports that they operate out of don't have the same delays associated with them e.g. Schipol's taxi-ing time. I'd easily say they make high 90s for punctuality to/from those airports.

jonnny68 wrote: »
    Never ceases to amaze me how people still pay for priority boarding when sometimes they don't even get on the plane first, there was some raised voices last week in LBA as those who paid for priority boarding were put on the bus from terminal gate to plane, they may have been first on the bus but by the time everyone piles on and then off they most certainly weren't the first to board the plane, so effectively they paid for nothing, but I've seen this happen before too, where you have to get a bus and there might only be 4/5 people who pay for priority boarding instead of putting the 4/5 on the bus from terminal gate to plane they sometimes just put everyone on (trying to keep up their turnaround time)

Farcical...

The priority boarding can be a gamble depending on the airport, but if you have legs like mine its a 5 euro gamble for a comfortable flight versus an uncomfortable flight. Aer Lingus charge an extra 30-40 euros for the comfortable seats minimum, and I have seen them asking 70-90. Five euro for that gamble is great value in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭opa01_2000

They easily make up that time. The smaller airports that they operate out of don't have the same delays associated with them e.g. Schipol's taxi-ing time. I'd easily say they make high 90s for punctuality to/from those airports.

Absolutely – as I said there is no reason to dispute FR can’t make up this time, just no independent evidence to support it. Separately, however, I would say that at Derry airport my experience is the opposite with frequent delays – not making this point to say that the time can’t be made up, just my personal experience.

However, on the comparison with other airlines’ punctuality there appears to be no basis for FR’s claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

They also significantly overstate the scheduled flight time to help pad the figures there. It really doesn't take 80 minutes to fly from Dublin to Gatwick...

They also significantly overstate the scheduled flight time to help pad the figures there. It really doesn't take 80 minutes to fly from Dublin to Gatwick...

That argument comes up every three pages or so. If it means I can make my connecting flight/bus/train then I, personally don't care. I'd rather be 20 minutes early for the next connection, than 10 minutes late for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

The flight time is not set by Ryanair, but is actually set by the authorities.
    Check Aer Lingus, they state the same flight time (or sometimes 5 mins less depending on the time of day). I suppose taxiing on the airport from different slots adds or takes away from the flight time.

Last Ryanair flight I was on was a 2 hour flight and we landed half an hour ahead of schedule:eek: One of these days they will land before they are due to take off!

• Advertisement

On an EasyJet flight Belfast to Faro in Feby we landed 30 mins early. No fanare on EJ but the announcement was funny something along these lines ' Welcome to Faro, 30 mins ahead of schedule, I don't know how we do it for the money'

Advertisement