Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

joeysoap wrote: »
    A friend of mine recently flew to London using an Irish passport, left it in London by mistake , and used his Australian passport on the return leg. Aer Lingus. No problem flying but passport control in Dublin 'warned' him never to do that again. He had to prove to them he had duel citizenship.
    Looks like the Guard in DUB did your friend a huge favour then, as did Aer Lingus, although probably inadvertently. He's incredibly lucky. Unless he also had some other form of ID, of course.

However, he doesn't have to prove to them that he has dual citizenship. That's nonsense. Your friend does, however, have to satisfy the GNIB that he is an Irish citizen if he wants to travel between Britain and Ireland without a passport. Presumably he did that. Possession of an Australian passport has no relevance though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭joeysoap

He used his Irish passport on the outward leg. left it behind by mistake in his friends London flat. He got a right lecture from the guard about it. To be honest I don't know what he had to do to prove he was entitled to enter the country. He works for one of 'those' big multi-national companies that the Government boast about.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

*They do scan the passport at passport control, but they don't check the boarding passes, just passports. I had no problem boarding or flying. Maybe if they had scanners at Faro security they would have detected the numbers were awry. Me bad. Maybe I should have got 5 years in the pokey.

Maybe you want five in the pokey, but ye won't get it through RyR checking...In airports where they do check the passport (not Dublin, for ex.) you have to present it and (sometimes) a boarding pass and they only check the latter for the right to be airside. RyR people check the name on the boarding pass against the passport, only, nothing else. On the aircraft they normally only check you have been checked in, i.e. the bottom part of the pass is torn off. However, I came through Maastricht recently and they didn't tear it off just scribbled on it. Ho-hum.

I once had "Iceland" as the country on my boarding pass document due to finger problems, nobody noticed.

Checking is generally a vague and non-standard process, by bored staff; like security checking, where are you expected to take off your shoes and where not....?? In Cork last time they had a look and decided if they would ping the machine...new to me. Makes me laugh to see people struggling to take off shoes when they haven't been asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

* Only airport I know where you have to queue at passport control to LEAVE the country. Queues here can take up to 15 minutes in high season.

This is the case in the Netherlands anyway for sure at Schiphol and Eindhoven.

You have to go through passport control leaving the Schengen area and entering Ireland/UK.

This is the case in the Netherlands anyway for sure at Schiphol and Eindhoven.

You have to go through passport control leaving the Schengen area and entering Ireland/UK.

In Faro everybody has to go through this passport area. Afaik Portugal is party to the Schengen agreement. Given the limitations of Faro airport, probably easier to make everybody queue here than seperate Schengen from non Schengen. Limited number of departure gates (A/L always get D gates (and that awful bus) Ryanair and EasyJet always get B gates - Ryanair you walk to the aircraft, EasyJet you board through the airbridge front rows, back rows walk to the steps. Most of the passengers on EasyJet who purchase seats are at the front, most of the 'free seat allocation' are at the back.

• Advertisement

BarryM wrote: »
    Maybe you want five in the pokey,

Joke in reference to this nonsense (tin hat time again :) )

computer44 wrote: »
    Travelling on an invalid passport that will not meet security regs IN THAT IT CARRIES A 5yr prison sentence.

Maybe you should go Damascus and save us a bit of trouble.

In Faro everybody has to go through this passport area. Afaik Portugal is party to the Schengen agreement. Given the limitations of Faro airport, probably easier to make everybody queue here than seperate Schengen from non Schengen. Limited number of departure gates (A/L always get D gates (and that awful bus) Ryanair and EasyJet always get B gates - Ryanair you walk to the aircraft, EasyJet you board through the airbridge front rows, back rows walk to the steps. Most of the passengers on EasyJet who purchase seats are at the front, most of the 'free seat allocation' are at the back.

You sure ?
    We flew from Eindhoven to Faro and back and there was no Passport control.

Even indicates this on their page:
    http://www.ana.pt/en-US/Aeroportos/algarve/Faro/Departures/Check-In/Pages/Check-In.aspx
    Minimum Time to allow for Check-in
    Schengen flights*: 90 minutes
    Non-Schengen flights (Europe): 120 minutes - See more at: http://www.ana.pt/en-US/Aeroportos/algarve/Faro/Departures/Check-In/Pages/Check-In.aspx#sthash.ozbrsHFH.dpuf

:o I assumed everybody has to go through passport control to exit Faro. Just for information, Can you recall your boarding gate/area? AFAIK To get to B & D you have to go through passport control. B & D are behind the shopping area. Sounds obvious but maybe there is also A & C boarding areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Get Real

Funny, I also had to go through passport control when leaving Berlin Schonefeld airport. I've been in it three times, and you have to queue and your passport checked by officials before you board.

Just curious is this in other airports throughout mainland Europe? Perhaps its to curb illegal immigration in mainland Europe, as all countries are more easily accessible? So there's a kind of "double check?"

then again I inter railed through numerous countries and it was quite random on which countries checked and which didn't

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Get Real wrote: »
    Funny, I also had to go through passport control when leaving Berlin Schonefeld airport. I've been in it three times, and you have to queue and your passport checked by officials before you board

You have to go through passport control at every German airport when you are flying to Ireland or the UK as they are not part of the Schengen group.

• Advertisement

You have to go through passport control at every German airport when you are flying to Ireland or the UK as they are not part of the Schengen group.

^^This , I flew from Tegel Airport and there was no passport control either (to NL - Schengen)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Everyone has to go through passport control when flying from Amsterdam Schiphol, Schengen or no. You pass through a roped off bit that may or may not have someone checking boarding passes and then go into the different queues (EU, non EU, Premuium and a new bit that allows EU citizens over the age of 18 to scan their own passports) through passport control to get into the shopping area before the gates. It is usually pretty quick but can have horrible queues. Luckily for me my partner is an ATC at Schiphol and can usually accurately guess from workload when the queues are going to be long.

I've never noticed anything special about Ireland/UK passports at any passport control in Europe, just EU and non-EU lines.

Everyone has to go through passport control when flying from Amsterdam Schiphol, Schengen or no. You pass through a roped off bit that may or may not have someone checking boarding passes and then go into the different queues (EU, non EU, Premuium and a new bit that allows EU citizens over the age of 18 to scan their own passports) through passport control to get into the shopping area before the gates. It is usually pretty quick but can have horrible queues. Luckily for me my partner is an ATC at Schiphol and can usually accurately guess from workload when the queues are going to be long.

I've never noticed anything special about Ireland/UK passports at any passport control in Europe, just EU and non-EU lines.

I just showed my ticket didn't need to show my passport:

http://www.schiphol.nl/Travellers/AtSchiphol/CheckinControl/SecurityChecksUponDeparture.htm

Passport control upon departure

Check in at your airline’s check-in desk. You can also use the self-service check-in. Show your boarding card and passport at Dutch Border Police (Koninklijke Marechaussee) central security control. If you are travelling to a Schengen country, you will only have to show your ticket.

Enforcement of a Border Control within the Schengen countries is not allowed.

If you land and depart at the Schengen area there is no control at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Ah, I've just been informed that it's standard to have your passport checked at Terminal 3 (which I usually fly from) but not at Terminal 1. My mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Strange as it may seem, MOL's apparently taken cognisance of criticism & is making plans to address common customer complaints - including a revamp of the website & not charging customers for being marginally over carry-on limits.
    No-frills airline Ryanair has announced its plans to transform its “abrupt culture” and revamp its website, admitting for the first time that it had a significant problem with customer service.

The airline said it would become more lenient on fining customers over bag sizes and overhaul the way it communicates.

“We should try to eliminate things that unnecessarily piss people off,” chief executive Michael O’Leary told the company’s annual general meeting. The airline was this week voted the worst of the 100 biggest brands serving the British market by readers of consumer magazine Which.

Mr O’Leary said it would stop fining customers whose carry-on baggage exceeds minimum sizes by a matter of millimetres. “A lot of those customer services elements don’t cost a lot of money ... It’s something we are committed to addressing over the coming year,” he said.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/transport-and-tourism/ryanair-pledges-end-to-abrupt-culture-and-revamp-website-1.1534585

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

It's already happening. Read another story about Ryanair this morning. It's a shame they couldn't use their discretion more, but I suppose you can't have every chancer trying to change their flight.

I waited for Ryanair to release their summer flights, which they did today (for Faro anyway) Serious upward trend continues in pricing. I was specifically interested in June flights. Aer Lingus have theirs out for some time and EasyJet have up to 14th June only. quick comparison in the days I am looking at (avoiding school holidays etc )
    Return for 2: Aer Lingus €411, EasyJet €320 (depends on sterling rate), Ryanair €414 (you can get cheaper by choosing to fly crap times and maybe a surcharge on car hire at Faro for out of office hours)

Looks like it's back to Belfast again in June (Feby and April are already Belfast) I really would like to book some of my flights from Dublin for a whole lot of reasons, but........

so much for MOL stating on BBC recently that he could forsee the day that all flights would be free and passengers would only pay for the add ons. And he said it with a straight face. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,194 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Not sure I see the issue above, looks like Ryanair and AL are the same price from Dublin (avoiding the flight times that are cheaper) and yet 100 miles away it is cheaper with Easyjet. Are you really saving that much when you add the additional time and travel to Belfast?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Well you can get a bus to Belfast from Dublin for around €10, (don't know about how much more it would cost to get to belfast airport), I suppose if you have a family of four, saving around €100 per passenger would add up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I waited for Ryanair to release their summer flights, which they did today (for Faro anyway) Serious upward trend continues in pricing. I was specifically interested in June flights. Aer Lingus have theirs out for some time and EasyJet have up to 14th June only. quick comparison in the days I am looking at (avoiding school holidays etc )
    Return for 2: Aer Lingus €411, EasyJet €320 (depends on sterling rate), Ryanair €414 (you can get cheaper by choosing to fly crap times and maybe a surcharge on car hire at Faro for out of office hours)

Looks like it's back to Belfast again in June (Feby and April are already Belfast) I really would like to book some of my flights from Dublin for a whole lot of reasons, but........

so much for MOL stating on BBC recently that he could forsee the day that all flights would be free and passengers would only pay for the add ons. And he said it with a straight face. :p

What dates are you looking at going?

I think you're exaggerating the point tbh.

• Advertisement

Not sure I see the issue above, looks like Ryanair and AL are the same price from Dublin (avoiding the flight times that are cheaper) and yet 100 miles away it is cheaper with Easyjet. Are you really saving that much when you add the additional time and travel to Belfast?

I live in County Louth:)

50 mins to Dublin airport, 1hr 15 to Belfast. With Quickpark and Daa both offering good deals, parking is cheaper in Dublin (approx €50 versus £50 for 14 days) Belfast airport you can walk to the terminal, Dublin, not really. Dublin is good for shops - Belfast is crap. Swings and roundabouts
    1huge1 wrote: »
    Well you can get a bus to Belfast from Dublin for around €10, (don't know about how much more it would cost to get to belfast airport), I suppose if you have a family of four, saving around €100 per passenger would add up.

Belfast airport is unfortunately, in the middle of nowhere. Usually drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 PadraigOMorain

Mr.S wrote: »
    you checked in Online, you need a passport for that.

If you check in at the airport, you just need a driving license.

But if you check in at the desk will they then penalise you for not printing out your boarding pass?

SantryRed wrote: »
    What dates are you looking at going?

I think you're exaggerating the point tbh.

Random dates: 4/6 to 11/6

Ryanair ex Dub: 11:15 ex Faro 17:30 (nice flights) = €414
    Ryanair ex Dub 19:40 ex Faro 8:50 (up at 6am :eek:) = €324

EasyJet ex Bel 17:10 ex Faro 14:50 £255.96 converting on their website to €318.32

Aer Lingus website is playing up with me at present but it was €411 yesterday

I do fly Ryanair by the way, just disappointed in their latest offerings.

There, I have done the donkey work for you, (free)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

do you have the prices excluding airport taxes? would be a fairer comparison

Indeed ... if the flight is full at the peak times why would they care.

I can fly from Maastricht to Dublin for a quarter of the price of flying from Eindhoven, but I won't do that because it's at silly o clock and the bus in Maastricht doesn't start until 5.30ish am.

Product is priced to make it attractive, simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

do you have the prices excluding airport taxes? would be a fairer comparison

How would that lead to a fairer comparison? All passengers must pay the airport charges etc., so taking them off would actually just be a waste of time

jahalpin wrote: »
    How would that lead to a fairer comparison? All passengers must pay the airport charges etc., so taking them off would actually just be a waste of time

+1, the price is the price. fwiw however the passenger tax in Ireland is €3 pp and the following applies in Norn Iron:

There are four bands of APD, depending on the distance of the flight. Band A (0-2000 miles) £13; Band B (2001-4000 miles) £67; Band C (4001-6000 miles) £83; Band D (6000 miles+) £94.

note that its miles and not kms - as the uk doesn't do km's :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Strange as it may seem, MOL's apparently taken cognisance of criticism & is making plans to address common customer complaints - including a revamp of the website & not charging customers for being marginally over carry-on limits.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/transport-and-tourism/ryanair-pledges-end-to-abrupt-culture-and-revamp-website-1.1534585

I'll believe that when I see it, I fly FR every other week and they go out of their way to sting pax with oversized baggage fees, I've seen countless flights delayed because some staff, obviously on a mission to get some commission for themselves check every single person bags hoping to nab someone to pay the extra fees it's particularly bad in Leeds Bradford airport.

Flew with FR to Ibiza last week and EI coming back, on the FR flight there must have been 4 people caught out and had to pay the fees, and their bags didn't even look particularly big either, coming back you could've brought several bags on and no checks at all with EI, altogether a much better flying experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/ryanair-make-donation-to-autism-ireland-after-imposing-charge-29599561.html

I suppose they had to be seen to do something after this broke in the news.

Fair enough pax should know to print boarding passes however charging an absolutely outrageous fee like €70 just to print a boarding pass is criminal €5 maximum is what they should be allowed to charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

The reason it is so high is to incentivise passengers to print their own boarding pass. It has been this way (granted they increased from €60 recently) for years. It seems the other 53 people in the group were able to print their own.

Once when flying from Dublin I had my Ryanair boarding pass but the ink was a bit low in the printer and it was a bit faded. The pass wouldn't scan in those new automatic barriers and I went up to the FR desk. They printed a new one for me no hassle, no fee.

I've only had problems with Ryanair twice (and I fly with them up to ten times a year), and both were my own fault for getting to the airport late and missing the flight. You play by their rules and there's no problem.

Advertisement