Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

The reason it is so high is to incentivise passengers to print their own boarding pass. It has been this way (granted they increased from €60 recently) for years. It seems the other 53 people in the group were able to print their own.

Once when flying from Dublin I had my Ryanair boarding pass but the ink was a bit low in the printer and it was a bit faded. The pass wouldn't scan in those new automatic barriers and I went up to the FR desk. They printed a new one for me no hassle, no fee.

I've only had problems with Ryanair twice (and I fly with them up to ten times a year), and both were my own fault for getting to the airport late and missing the flight. You play by their rules and there's no problem.

I've been in a situation before where I lost my boarding pass when on holiday and spent hours looking for an Internet cafe to print one in stifling heat, I eventually found one dehydrated to bits and shattered otherwise I'd have been stung for €70 and I didn't have it so they wouldn't have let me on, you can just rock up to the desk with EI and they'll give you a boarding pass no problems.

Personally I think it's ludicrous FR charge that amount of money to print a sheet of paper, even at a fiver they'd be making profit, but as it stands they must make obscene amounts from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭joeysoap

The reason it is so high is to incentivise passengers to print their own boarding pass. It has been this way (granted they increased from €60 recently) for years. It seems the other 53 people in the group were able to print their own.

There is a possibilty that those 2 had never flown Ryanair previously, and were more used to other airlines. To be fair to Ryanair they held their hands up on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

jonnny68 wrote: »
    I've been in a situation before where I lost my boarding pass when on holiday and spent hours looking for an Internet cafe to print one in stifling heat, I eventually found one dehydrated to bits and shattered otherwise I'd have been stung for €70 and I didn't have it so they wouldn't have let me on, you can just rock up to the desk with EI and they'll give you a boarding pass no problems.

Personally I think it's ludicrous FR charge that amount of money to print a sheet of paper, even at a fiver they'd be making profit, but as it stands they must make obscene amounts from this.

I flew the Budget airline Transavia (Owned by KLM)
    You can checkin with your phone and use that as your boarding pass also.

http://service-en.transavia.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5216/~/how-do-i-use-the-mobile-boarding-pass-within-the-app%3F

Awesome .. beats joining the queue at the Airport to get a boarding pass or having to have a printer to fly with Ryanair :)

If Ryanair offered it as an extra option for a fiver I'd go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

They'd charge you about 20 for the App

MugMugs wrote: »
    They'd charge you about 20 for the App

That would be an even better deal.

5 euro per online check in would give them more money than charging 20 euro for the app :D

• Advertisement

I flew the Budget airline Transavia (Owned by KLM)
    You can checkin with your phone and use that as your boarding pass also.

http://service-en.transavia.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5216/~/how-do-i-use-the-mobile-boarding-pass-within-the-app%3F

Awesome .. beats joining the queue at the Airport to get a boarding pass or having to have a printer to fly with Ryanair :)

Aer Lingus also have mobile check-in

http://www.aerlingus.com/travelinformation/knowbeforeyoufly/check-in/mobilecheck-in/#d.en.9413

joeysoap wrote: »

Not much use for me .. not available from Amsterdam :(

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Rock Steady Edy

You play by their rules and there's no problem.

I suspect we will see change because their rules have been implemented so determinedly, almost certainly by highly incentivised staff, and this has started to hurt shareholders' returns.

As one shareholder succinctly pointed out last week at their shareholder's meeting, they were "risking alienating a whole section of the flying public who simply won't fly with them".

This is exactly why we need a separate independent carrier like Aer Lingus, so that those who don't wish to be forced to play by such heavy-handed rules have another choice, and having that choice can impact Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

I suspect we will see change because their rules have been implemented so determinedly, almost certainly by highly incentivised staff, and this has started to hurt shareholders' returns.

As one shareholder succinctly pointed out last week at their shareholder's meeting, they were "risking alienating a whole section of the flying public who simply won't fly with them".

This is exactly why we need a separate independent carrier like Aer Lingus, so that those who don't wish to be forced to play by such heavy-handed rules have another choice, and having that choice can impact Ryanair.

They've had increases in passenger numbers and profits for years until now. The profits "may miss or be at the lower end of its range of 570m to 600m euros" to quote BBC.

This is explained partly by economic problems in Europe and partly on other carriers lowering their prices. If it were down to their customer service, how did they increase profits so much over the years with the same level of customer service?

Of course competition is going to keep their fares low, but it's only when competitors can offer the low price coupled with better customer service that they are considering revamping their own customer service.

Some people fly Aer Lingus or whoever at a higher price for their better service, but I expect most will put up with Ryanair's policies when the saving is above a certain threshold.

As an example, I'd definitely fly EI if they were only €10 more than FR but when it's €100 more, I don't value their customer service that highly.

They've had increases in passenger numbers and profits for years until now. The profits "may miss or be at the lower end of its range of 570m to 600m euros" to quote BBC.

This is explained partly by economic problems in Europe and partly on other carriers lowering their prices. If it were down to their customer service, how did they increase profits so much over the years with the same level of customer service?

Of course competition is going to keep their fares low, but it's only when competitors can offer the low price coupled with better customer service that they are considering revamping their own customer service.

Some people fly Aer Lingus or whoever at a higher price for their better service, but I expect most will put up with Ryanair's policies when the saving is above a certain threshold.

As an example, I'd definitely fly EI if they were only €10 more than FR but when it's €100 more, I don't value their customer service that highly.

Yes .. I remember that BBC Program .

Ryanair, Europes least favorite airline but also the airline most likely to fly with again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

jonnny68 wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/ryanair-make-donation-to-autism-ireland-after-imposing-charge-29599561.html

I suppose they had to be seen to do something after this broke in the news.

Fair enough pax should know to print boarding passes however charging an absolutely outrageous fee like €70 just to print a boarding pass is criminal €5 maximum is what they should be allowed to charge.

Ryanair, the best, most effective stupidity filter available.

Rule: print your boarding pass
    Failure to comply: pay €70 so you learn a lesson and don't pi$s them off again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

Guys I'm positive it's here somewhere but in 217 pages it's going to be hard to find...

Just wondering if anyone knows my options with Ryanair flights that I can't make - can I change the date, get a voucher for the cost etc?

I think I may know the answer already (nothing, nadda, ya lost yer money), but just to see if there's any option I might be missing...

Thanks,

http://www.ryanair.com/en/terms-and-conditions#regulations-tableoffees

Fees for changing flights, keeping in mind it can be cheaper to just book new flights.

You can claim the tax back on flights you haven't taken, also requires a fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

Ryanair aren't all bad! I made a feck up with the boarding pass - I booked the flights using my wife's married name and never thought her passport was in her maiden name. If I hadn't printed the boarding pass, they could have changed it online for €10. I was charged €160 at the check in desk, but the lady gave me a letter to fax along with the marriage cert to get the money back minus the admin fee.

Everybody had told me they'd gouge me and I had no chance of any satisfaction with them. Overall, I found very pleasant to deal with, so Michael's positivity plan must have worked. Sent it off and got the €150 back. Not bad considering I made the mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

I was charged £70 for not having my return boarding pass to Dublin - it must not have printed when I was printing out my boarding pass, and I guess I am at fault for not double checking. I had checked in online, they gave me a crappy receipt for the £70 charge. Is this correct? I'm so angry, I've only ever had bad experiences with Ryanair.

I was charged £70 for not having my return boarding pass to Dublin - it must not have printed when I was printing out my boarding pass, and I guess I am at fault for not double checking. I had checked in online, they gave me a crappy receipt for the £70 charge. Is this correct? I'm so angry, I've only ever had bad experiences with Ryanair.

€70 or £70 depending on where the airport is. Refer to the link above with the table of fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Make sure you double and triple check everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

But that's totally your own fault, maybe you should just travel with someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭strongback

Maybe Michael is now making enough money to stop ripping passengers off with spurious charges or maybe just maybe his dog ignorant behavior towards his customers is finally making them chose other airlines.

I'll let you decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Off topic, but Mario Rosenstock did a good sketch on MOL's new policy on his show Monday night. Worth checking out on RTE Player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Kinikie

are you angry at yourself or ryanair? cant see what they have done wrong here at all

Does anybody know for Definite if Ryanair allow a duty free carry on at Dublin airport in addition to the one bag rule. Understand about handbags etc but would like to know about duty free. Some airports they do, some they don't, where is Dublin in the can/can't category?

joeysoap wrote: »
    Does anybody know for Definite if Ryanair allow a duty free carry on at Dublin airport in addition to the one bag rule. Understand about handbags etc but would like to know about duty free. Some airports they do, some they don't, where is Dublin in the can/can't category?

It has to fit into the one bag. Saw a man really lose the head in Dublin one morning when told that. I always travel with a coat with huge pockets. I can cram them full if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

No change in Dublin yet. I rechon staff in shops would be well versed if there is a relaxation. Yes I go with the coat of many pockets. It can be so inconvenient to all your clobber in a bag that might several seats away given the difficulty of squeezing in cabin luggage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

Gulliver wrote: »
    Ryanair aren't all bad! I made a feck up with the boarding pass - I booked the flights using my wife's married name and never thought her passport was in her maiden name. If I hadn't printed the boarding pass, they could have changed it online for €10. I was charged €160 at the check in desk, but the lady gave me a letter to fax along with the marriage cert to get the money back minus the admin fee.

Everybody had told me they'd gouge me and I had no chance of any satisfaction with them. Overall, I found very pleasant to deal with, so Michael's positivity plan must have worked. Sent it off and got the €150 back. Not bad considering I made the mistake.

Exact same problem happened to my parents but unfortunately they never got a nice lady at check in! I don't understand why people continue to complain about ryanair. You now exactly what you're getting when you book flights with them! I had a terrible experience with them through my own stupidity and poor man management on their part and vowed to never travel with them again, which I didn't until they fully refunded me and credited me with free flights to anywhere in Europe!

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭strongback

nbar12 wrote: »
    Exact same problem happened to my parents but unfortunately they never got a nice lady at check in! I don't understand why people continue to complain about ryanair. You now exactly what you're getting when you book flights with them! I had a terrible experience with them through my own stupidity and poor man management on their part and vowed to never travel with them again, which I didn't until they fully refunded me and credited me with free flights to anywhere in Europe!

People regularly say to themselves they will never fly Ryanair again but Ryanair know if they maintain the lowest fares people will develop amnesia and go for the best price.

Flying with another airline costing 20 or 30 euro extra is worth it not to have to deal with baggage gestapo and barking staff. Its always good to keep the stress levels down.

Thanks for replies. Dublin is still a one bag airport then. Last flight was from Faro and Ryanair definitely allow duty free + one bag at that airport. Suspect he will only relax on duty free as part of re-negotating Airport charges. Which won't happen as Aer Lingus would also want what ever charges he pays. Suppose Dublin airport have the situation covered anyway with the purchase and collect.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Kinikie wrote: »
    are you angry at yourself or ryanair? cant see what they have done wrong here at all

Charging seventy quid for failing to bring a piece of paper to the airport which no other airline would do, probably.

Just my guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Does anyone know the situation with bringing fish hooks in carry on luggage on Ryanair(or any airline). Thinking of getting some fishing equipment prior to my flight later this week. The prices where I am staying are much cheaper than at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

syklops wrote: »
    Does anyone know the situation with bringing fish hooks in carry on luggage on Ryanair(or any airline). Thinking of getting some fishing equipment prior to my flight later this week. The prices where I am staying are much cheaper than at home.

Not sure but I'd guess if they have a sharp point they'll be prohibited. They must be fairly light, could you not post them home, no?

Advertisement