Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,898 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Realistically not a hope. How long was the flight delay?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,201 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Unlikely that Ryanair will compensate, how much delay was there?. I assume you had an advance train ticket as they are not refundable. Other types of train tickets are refundable (minus £10 admin fee)

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sanguine Fan

Unlikely that Ryanair will compensate, how much delay was there?.

Thanks. That's what I thought but worth asking.

The delay was not long but enough to miss the train. Never happened before but maybe I should book a later train in future just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Rock Steady Edy

I suspect I know the answer to my query already but maybe someone can give me a pleasant surprise.

Last week my son and I flew from Dublin to Birmingham. I make this trip regularly and, as usual, I booked a train to take us on to our final destination. Unfortunately the flight was delayed and we missed the train. Because I had booked the train tickets via the web, they could not be changed and there was no refund. So we had to buy new tickets for a later train at the station at twice the online fare.

I have never missed this connection before and I wonder if it is worth asking Ryanair to compensate me for the additional train tickets.

Thanks.

You can ask, but I'd very surprised if they compensated you. At the end of the day, you made a judgement as to how much contingency time you'd leave and also decided to book tickets for specific trains.

BHX is great airport to get to London and back cheaply for the leisure traveler - lots of cheap flights DUB to BHX and lots of cheap train tickets between the airport and London on frequent Virgin / London Midland trains. The flight is shorter, there are rarely landing delays, and the airport is far easier to negotiate than any London airport. The only slight downside as you've experienced is estimating the time to leave between landing and getting your pre-booked train. Never a problem on the way back because you don't mind arriving at the airport a bit earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭marguerite2000

HI can anyone tell me how to get the app on my phone again,I had it installed but my phone had to go to be fixed so it was wiped .Now when i try to install it says already intalled ,no more devices to install. I need it as travelling soon .I dont have this problem with all my other apps ,so dont know how to fix it . Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

HI can anyone tell me how to get the app on my phone again,I had it installed but my phone had to go to be fixed so it was wiped .Now when i try to install it says already intalled ,no more devices to install. I need it as travelling soon .I dont have this problem with all my other apps ,so dont know how to fix it . Thanks in advance.

Android or iPhone?

got sorted

Jayop wrote: »
    Android or iPhone?
    Hi thanks,got it sorted ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Was checking a few bookings which I have with RY. When setting up my Ryanair profile I inadvertently set myself up as Ms and not Mr. I have made a few bookings and when checking those bookings noticed that the bookings are for Ms John Smith and not Mr John Smith. I can't remember what appears on the check in details but would it really matter? All the other details are the same and are correct just salutation, I have now changed this for future bookings, its immaterial to me but maybe boarding cause problem?

joeysoap wrote: »
    Was checking a few bookings which I have with RY. When setting up my Ryanair profile I inadvertently set myself up as Ms and not Mr. I have made a few bookings and when checking those bookings noticed that the bookings are for Ms John Smith and not Mr John Smith. I can't remember what appears on the check in details but would it really matter? All the other details are the same and are correct just salutation, I have now changed this for future bookings, its immaterial to me but maybe boarding cause problem?

I wouldn't take the chance although I don't know if it would make a difference. A few years ago I booked my wife under her married name but her passport is on her maiden name so I called the number they give and I think it took about 5 minutes and probably cost me about ten or twenty quid to sort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Salutations don't matter. It's fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Thanks for replys. I have since checked a carry on bag that I used previously and there was two printed boarding passes still stuck in one of the pockets. One was for Joe Smith and the other Joseph Smith no Mr Mrs or Ms on any of them, so I'll chance it. Thanks again for replys

Agreed. They barely check as it is.
    There's nothing to check against. A salutation is not part of a person's name. It's not include on the passport. So, as far as aviation travel goes, salutations are ignored. :)

One was for Joe Smith and the other Joseph Smith
    That I would be careful with. My first name is often only used in it's shortened form. A bit like Chris in lieu of Christopher. I once booked a flight from London to Lithuania and, on the return leg back to London, I was very nearly denied boarding because I'd booked the flight with first name "Chris" instead of "Christopher" which is stated in my passport. It was a right kerfuffle but boarded in the end.

Surprised myself TBH , flights were months apart. Probably depends on airport, Joe was ex Dublin. I am going to check in online from now on and have completed that Ryanair login process with full name, so probably shouldn't happen again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I've checked in for a flight to the UK on Friday via the app (iOS). I was also trying to check in for the return on Monday, but it kept asking me to pay for seats and wouldn't let me go any further. Is it too early to check in for the return, or am I doing something wrong re the seats? I'm having trouble adding the pass to the Apple Wallet too.

Too soon. The free window is 4 days now. They really want you to pay for a seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

I've checked in for a flight to the UK on Friday via the app (iOS). I was also trying to check in for the return on Monday, but it kept asking me to pay for seats and wouldn't let me go any further. Is it too early to check in for the return, or am I doing something wrong re the seats? I'm having trouble adding the pass to the Apple Wallet too.

Yes, its now 4 days or less to check in for free, it used to be 7 days but it changed a couple of weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Still, Aer Lingus is only 30 hours in comparison so not too poor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Still, Aer Lingus is only 30 hours in comparison so not too poor.

The difference is you can rock up to the desk with Aer Lingus and they'll print you a boarding pass for free.

The difference is you can rock up to the desk with Aer Lingus and they'll print you a boarding pass for free.

Correct. And they will take cabin bags off you for free and give you a proper check in tag ( I know RY will take bags at the gate (afaik all airlines do) but you have no comeback whatsoever if anything goes missing from bags left at the gate.

And they're also much more expensive on the average flight to pay for such luxuries. If you feel you need them then fly with aer lingus, the rest of us who just want the cheapest flight possible for what's most likely to be an hour or two in the air will go with Ryanair.

And they're also much more expensive on the average flight to pay for such luxuries. If you feel you need them then fly with aer lingus, the rest of us who just want the cheapest flight possible for what's most likely to be an hour or two in the air will go with Ryanair.

The point I was making was that comparing the 4 days with Aer Lingus's 30 hours isn't fair since with Aer Lingus you can check in free at the airport. You can't do that with Ryanair so you're forced to check in online and reducing it to 4 days really pushes the incentive to pay for seats so you can check in online before going for a week's holiday.

Ryanair have been cheaper once in my past five (actual fights I booked) comparisons. By a tenner. And the flight was at 6am rather than 1pm.

Ryanair are not a cheap airline by any standards, outside of sales.

The point I was making was that comparing the 4 days with Aer Lingus's 30 hours isn't fair since with Aer Lingus you can check in free at the airport. You can't do that with Ryanair so you're forced to check in online and reducing it to 4 days really pushes the incentive to pay for seats so you can check in online before going for a week's holiday.

Not really when pretty much everyone now has a smart phone and can check in for free whilst abroad.

L1011 wrote: »
    Ryanair have been cheaper once in my past five (actual fights I booked) comparisons. By a tenner. And the flight was at 6am rather than 1pm.

Ryanair are not a cheap airline by any standards, outside of sales.

I'd say I've been on twenty or more flights the last two years and Ryanair has been cheaper by a distance for all of them.

Not really when pretty much everyone now has a smart phone and can check in for free whilst abroad.

I understand but not everyone wants to rely on their phone to check in. Printed boarding passes don't run out of battery.

I understand but not everyone wants to rely on their phone to check in. Printed boarding passes don't run out of battery.

Nor does any person with even basic organizational skills. I've said here before if I'm in a group I'll screen shot the pass and send it to everyone coming to be double or triple sure, and if a flight is delayed then most airports have charging points you can use to top it up.

Really there's no excuse.

• Advertisement

I'd say I've been on twenty or more flights the last two years and Ryanair has been cheaper by a distance for all of them.

The only time I see a cheaper Aer Lingus flight is when it's very short notice (as in within 2 days), otherwise it's definitely cheaper with Ryanair.

Advertisement