Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Jayop wrote: »
    Nor does any person with even basic organizational skills. I've said here before if I'm in a group I'll screen shot the pass and send it to everyone coming to be double or triple sure, and if a flight is delayed then most airports have charging points you can use to top it up.

Really there's no excuse.

That's fine for most people (and I know the change won't impact me at all) however not everyone is as technologically savvy to be able to do this.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Jayop wrote: »
    I'd say I've been on twenty or more flights the last two years and Ryanair has been cheaper by a distance for all of them.

I have been on 23 this year so far with another 3 to come, and the most expensive fare I have paid has been €44.99 to Budapest followed by 40.99 to Berlin, rest of my flights have been under €35. I traveled with Aer Lingus twice this year and both flights were over €70 within Europe.

I also use mobile boarding pass and a nice feature of the Ryanair app now is you can buy fast track security any time up to 45 minutes before a flight, once travelling to an airport there was a huge crash and I knew I would arrive at the airport 50 minutes before a flight because of a 1.5 hour delay and this feature alone saved my bacon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

That's fine for most people (and I know the change won't impact me at all) however not everyone is as technologically savvy to be able to do this.

If you can check in online then you can use the app. If anything it's easier, especially for the return flights. Even for the technological inept who would be getting kids or whatever to check in for them, they could have the kids to check in with the app on the way out and the way home it's literally just a case of clicking one or two buttons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,201 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Ryanair have been on average €20 return over the last 4 or 5 years for me on the Scotland to Dublin flights (about 4 return trips per year). Aer Lingus are about €60 minimum each time so Ryanair is by far the cheapest for me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

With the type of flights I normally travel by the time you factor in checking bags and timings of the flights Ryanair are often just as dear as Lufthansa and Air France. I would rather pay a little extra (it is generally no more than a tenner) not to be treated like cattle being hounded with the hawking of stuff the whole time in the air.

As said Ryanair is not a cheap airline.

The hawking has calmed down big time and with reserved seating yih just wait till everyone is on board then jump on.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,900 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ryanair have been on average €20 return over the last 4 or 5 years for me on the Scotland to Dublin flights (about 4 return trips per year). Aer Lingus are about €60 minimum each time so Ryanair is by far the cheapest for me

Loss making promotional fares (the UK tax alone is more) are not good comparators for price. If you have not standard travel requirements and can always book promotional fares that's great but it's not realistic for others.

Their cheap promotional fares are paid for by being anything but cheap for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,201 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

L1011 wrote: »
    Loss making promotional fares (the UK tax alone is more) are not good comparators for price. If you have not standard travel requirements and can always book promotional fares that's great but it's not realistic for others.

Their cheap promotional fares are paid for by being anything but cheap for others.

That is the same for any airline, Ryanair is cheaper on their promotional fares than the others. The last time I flew Aer Lingus was about 5 years ago and it was a last minute buy for a funeral, Ryanair & Aer Lingus were the same expensive price but Aer Lingus flew from Glasgow Airport and Ryanair did not so I chose Aer Lingus

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Ryanair have been cheaper once in my past five (actual fights I booked) comparisons. By a tenner. And the flight was at 6am rather than 1pm.

Ryanair are not a cheap airline by any standards, outside of sales.

Yes, they are. They're generally cheaper on any route I check, regardless of whether it's a sale or not. Even if the flight is within ten minutes of an Aer Lingus one.

Since I generally don't check in bags, I'd rather not be paying for other people who do. Can't remember the last time the onboard selling distracted me. And they must be treating cattle pretty well these days.

• Advertisement

It's not free if the price of the same flight is higher. It's like how Domino's has free delivery but the it's always cheaper if you pick it up yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Ryanair is the best value airline in Europe and its not even close. i got flights to the UK last week for 19.99 return, about the 15th time in a year ive got flights for that price.

flew to Spain last year for €22 and theres multiple examples like that.

Ive never, ever, ever been roared at by Ryanair crew.

I suspect either its your attitude, or you are making things up.

Ryanair is the best value airline in Europe and its not even close.

Norwegian

Regularly cheaper, far superior service. Value isn't solely price based, but they manage to hit that most of the time.

Ryanair have the Irish travelling public brainwashed in to thinking they're cheap. They're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Somehow they all end up roaring at only you?? and borderline racist to boot !!!!! All this and you fly with them on less than 1% of all the flights you take.

MjAxMy1jOWViZDQ4Mjk1NDUxZDU5.png

Norwegian

Regularly cheaper, far superior service. Value isn't solely price based, but they manage to hit that most of the time.

Ryanair have the Irish travelling public brainwashed in to thinking they're cheap. They're not.

Which routes do they both run? I'd like to see a comparison.

Kat1170 wrote: »
    and borderline racist to boot !!!!!

Tone down the accusations, thanks

Which routes do they both run? I'd like to see a comparison.

Gatwick - Loads of places, CPH/ARN/OSL - Loads of places.

DUB-CPH may be their only one here.

Service is incomparable - its still BOB but there's proper checkin, free wifi, basic IFE, etc.

• Advertisement

Service is incomparable - its still BOB but there's proper checkin, free wifi, basic IFE, etc.

i just checked a random date for Christmas - Dublin to Copehagen, flying out on 20th December and back on 30th.

Ryanair - €67.
    Norweigan - €334.

so errm ya, the service would want to be better. even including 2 bags, you still save about €200+ by flying with Ryanair.

Just looking at DUB-CPH for January and it really depends. Sometimes they're 10-20 cheaper than Ryanair and sometimes they're 10-20 more expensive. I note Ryanair also have a flight everyday while Norwegian are only twice a week (unless you get the extortionate flight via Oslo).

Sure, I'll use Norwegian if they run the route and are cheaper but they don't for nearly any flight I want to get.

i just checked a random date for Christmas - Dublin to Copehagen, flying out on 20th December and back on 30th.

Ryanair - €67.
    Norweigan - €334.

so errm ya, the service would want to be better. even including 2 bags, you still save about €200+ by flying with Ryanair.

One of the dearest combos on their fare calculator, randomly enough. I had trouble constructing one dearer!

Multiple out/in dates in December available for €44.

One of the dearest combos on their fare calculator, randomly enough. I had trouble constructing one dearer!

Multiple out/in dates in December available for €44.

yet its amaxing that its the first date i picked and it just happened to be a huge difference - ie dates people going home for christmas would actually use.

yet its amaxing that its the first date i picked and it just happened to be a huge difference - ie dates people going home for christmas would actually use.

They'd be more likely to pick a direct, I suspect. Which are very competitively priced to Ryanair.

They offer connections (again, unlike Ryanair) hence are able to give options on dates they don't fly. Not much use when there's two other airlines daily on a route but very useful otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Ryanair are making no efforts to compete for my business. So feck them.

I would rather enjoy my free sandwich and bottles of beer than be roared at by Svetlana and her crew.

I think when it comes to Ryanair you are a bigot. I fly regularly for work and leisure with all different airlines . I've yet to have any bad experiences with Ryanair, the service is second to none especially I found them particularly good when I was travelling on my own with 2 young kids earlier in the year.

This flight?

Ryanair £80
    Lufthansa £156 with a stopover causing the travel time to be 2 hours longer

I think you're a little economical with the truth when you want to bash Ryanair.

• Advertisement

Mine includes the return.

Advertisement