Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,900 ✭✭✭✭L1011

This flight?

Ryanair £80
    Lufthansa £156 with a stopover causing the travel time to be 2 hours longer

I think you're a little economical with the truth when you want to bash Ryanair.

Lufthansa charge old fashioned fares - the entire return is often cheaper than a single leg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Ah I see you chose Romania to Ireland return to suit your argument. I did Ireland to Romania return, as that would be the flights someone in Ireland would be looking at. No worries, there's plenty of examples of the other way around as I have demonstrated.

Edit: the following week from Romania 18th to 25th, Ryanair is £70, Lufthansa £103.

Ah I see you chose Romania to Ireland return to suit your argument. I did Ireland to Romania return, as that would be the flights someone in Ireland would be looking at. No worries, there's plenty of examples of the other way around as I have demonstrated.

There's plenty of examples ex-Ireland. Cherry picking examples does nothing to prove anything.

L1011 wrote: »
    There's plenty of examples ex-Ireland. Cherry picking examples does nothing to prove anything.

Which is exactly my point against Fred's argument.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 17,201 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Of course they are not, I will bet my mortgage that they are mostly always the cheapest and I have never had one of their staff roar at me

That wasn't your first point though. It's also a strawman as no one was arguing that they are the cheapest all the time.

The only time I see a cheaper Aer Lingus flight is when it's very short notice (as in within 2 days), otherwise it's definitely cheaper with Ryanair.

It happened to me once that Aer Lingus was cheaper than Ryanair going from Prague to Dublin. I really regretted choosing Aer Lingus because it was when we had the bad snow in Dublin and the AL flight was 5 hours late. The ryanair flight was 10 minutes late. Prague airport is an expensive place to be stuck in.

A ryanair cabin crew attendant shouted at you for stowing your bags overhead? What exactly did they say?

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I was not shouted at directly. Other passengers were trying to stow obviously oversized bags. The roars were directed at them.
    Every company has staff that are less than pleasant to deal with. Not everyone is like that.

I just dislike their business model and I choose to use other carriers. It is nothing personal.
    Well you should still be grateful for Ryanair transforming the business model for airlines otherwise you'd still be paying a couple of weeks wages to AL or BA to fly to London from Dublin.

They drove the prices of the other airlines down and even if you choose not to use them for whatever reasons they are still saving you money.

Jayop wrote: »
    Well you should still be grateful for Ryanair transforming the business model for airlines otherwise you'd still be paying a couple of weeks wages to AL or BA to fly to London from Dublin.

They drove the prices of the other airlines down and even if you choose not to use them for whatever reasons they are still saving you money.

EU deregulation drove the prices down. If it wasn't them to swoop in Ireland, it'd have been Easyjet or HLX or someone else - pick any EU loco from the annals of history. They didn't write the playbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

+1

My OH lives in London and I've spent the last year and a bit flying over to see her, at weekends mostly, usually from DUB or SNN. I've probably been over 15 or 16 times. If the flights hadn't been as affordable, the relationship might never have gotten off the ground (pun most definitely intended).

I did my last trip over yesterday evening and came back this morning, a quick visit. For €2 each way, why not! She's moving home to Ireland next month, thank Jeebus.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,442 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

L1011 wrote: »
    EU deregulation drove the prices down. If it wasn't them to swoop in Ireland, it'd have been Easyjet or HLX or someone else - pick any EU loco from the annals of history. They didn't write the playbook.

They certainly didnt. Southwest airlines in the US did that. Ryanair did take that playbook and take it to extremes though, especially after oleary took over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭mattser

Got there just before me Jayop. The day is gone when AL robbed myself and the missus of 200 Irish Punts EACH return to London (1987).

MO'L and Ryanair are one of the best things that ever happened this rip-off kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

+1

My OH lives in London and I've spent the last year and a bit flying over to see her, at weekends mostly, usually from DUB or SNN. I've probably been over 15 or 16 times. If the flights hadn't been as affordable, the relationship might never have gotten off the ground (pun most definitely intended).

I did my last trip over yesterday evening and came back this morning, a quick visit. For €2 each way, why not! She's moving home to Ireland next month, thank Jeebus.

We did the long distance Dublin - London grind too for a year and a half, I moved over to London three and a half years ago. Flew a mixed bag of airlines - whatever suited best. If Aer Lingus or BA to Heathrow or Cityjet from LCY was less than 10-15 more expensive than Ryanair at the times I wanted I'd always go with that because it was a bit nicer and I wouldn't be forking out for a Luton or Stansted train.

Flew Ryanair from Gatwick in October - bit of a pain in the arse tbh. Had priority boarding (which EasyJet and BA gave for free on other flights because I was travelling with an infant), still ended up stuck behind a ton of Americans who were being total idiots with their hand luggage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

We did the long distance Dublin - London grind too for a year and a half, I moved over to London three and a half years ago. Flew a mixed bag of airlines - whatever suited best. If Aer Lingus or BA to Heathrow or Cityjet from LCY was less than 10-15 more expensive than Ryanair at the times I wanted I'd always go with that because it was a bit nicer and I wouldn't be forking out for a Luton or Stansted train.

Flew Ryanair from Gatwick in October - bit of a pain in the arse tbh. Had priority boarding (which EasyJet and BA gave for free on other flights because I was travelling with an infant), still ended up stuck behind a ton of Americans who were being total idiots with their hand luggage.

I've avoided Gatwick like the plague for similar reasons. Something always goes wrong when I use Gatwick. I've used CityJet too as OH lives on the DLR and its as handy AF, flights are generally quite expensive when I'm coming over though, have only used LCY a couple of times as a result. Serious time saver though!

The economy of flying Ryanair to Luton, Stansted or Gatwick is somewhat diminished by the whole craic of having to fork out extra for a train all right.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Always made me laugh to read that people say they'd rather fly to Heathrow than Stansted because of the fact you don't need to fork out extra for the train, considering Heathrow is home to the most expensive rail journey in the UK per mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

But you can take the Tube from Heathrow.
    So you have an alternative.

• Advertisement

But you can take the Tube from Heathrow.
    So you have an alternative.

Yeah, but it takes almost an hour, which in travel time is no better than other airports that are moaned about for being too far out...

The trains aren't really Ryanair related.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭joeysoap

I fly maybe 4/5 times a year. Up until the euro went tits up mostly EasyJet but for the last 2/3 years exclusively Dublin. Tenerife was cheaper with AL when I was booking. With Munich I had no choice but I was lucky and booked after the price came down about a month before the flight (from €97 to €49 out and from €96 to €81 back). With Faro most of my bookings appear to be with both airlines, sometimes because of price, sonetimes times. I had a look at last year and 3 times I flew out with RY and 3 times return was AL. have to say there is a certain 'pleasure' in returning with AL, no worries about checking in, and when your tired and just want 'familiarity' there's no better cabin crew than AL. EasyJet crew were fine too with their 'norn ' accents ' 'just put your wee bag under the seat' just put your wee seat belt on' ' we'll be landing in a wee while' etc etc scratch cards were a pain though.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

devnull wrote: »
    Always made me laugh to read that people say they'd rather fly to Heathrow than Stansted because of the fact you don't need to fork out extra for the train, considering Heathrow is home to the most expensive rail journey in the UK per mile.

Heathrow Express is for people with more money than sense and that don't really know London. Grinding it out on the Piccadilly line gets me a 15 minute walk from my apartment. Cost does matter there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,201 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Heathrow Express is for people with more money than sense and that don't really know London. Grinding it out on the Piccadilly line gets me a 15 minute walk from my apartment. Cost does matter there.

Actually Heathrow Express is a fantastic service if your company is paying for it. I have done it about 30 times flying Glasgow to Heathrow and going to and from our office in Paddington. Excellent service

The BA flight to Heathrow is absolute robbery for a day trip

The trains are nice inside alright if someone else is paying, but I'd never pay for it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭ffm

This issue has possibly been experienced in this thread already so hopefully I will get some answers.

I bought flights on Friday & got quoted for €308. In my confirmation email, it also came to €308. But there was €325 taken out of my account. It gave what I was charged in GBP as well. 284.23GBP which they say converts into €308, but it doesn't. It converts into over 325. I've contacted them on Live Chat, only to be told that I was wrong & I sent an email off to customer complaints with a screenshot of the €325 being taken out of my account & I put it in writing the conversion of 284GBP to euros but they're still refusing to acknowledge that they overcharged me. Bastards are quite clearly wrong but just won't admit it.

It's a matter of principle, now. Anyone have any similar experiences in the past?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I don't have experience of that, but out of interest was the first flight departing from the UK or Europe?

Advertisement