Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭ffm

Jayop wrote: »
    I don't have experience of that, but out of interest was the first flight departing from the UK or Europe?

Departing from Cork. Why they felt the need to convert from GBP is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,201 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

If you are buying flights in € and your payment card is in €, there would be no need to convert from or to any other currency. I assume your payment card is €

If you are buying flights in € and your payment card is in €, there would be no need to convert from or to any other currency. I assume your payment card is €

It's a Revolut card, which is from the UK but used the Irish site. I only have it a couple of months so there are no charges. & even if there was, it wouldn't be €17. The bottom line is, they took more out of my bank account than was quoted on the email.

ffm wrote: »
    It's a Revolut card, which is from the UK but used the Irish site. I only have it a couple of months so there are no charges. & even if there was, it wouldn't be €17. The bottom line is, they took more out of my bank account than was quoted on the email.

Then it looks like it is a dynamic currency conversion issue, why didn't your card do the conversion rather than Ryanair?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Ryanair offer you a fixed rate when paying with a different currency and I've always found it to be worse than he rate my own bank give me.

There's a tick box to untick if you don't want to fix the exchange rate.

• Advertisement

When buying on a card issued in another country, you should have the option of being charged in that currency. I've had this happen before and always check that I'm paying in €uros. I don't think it's anything to do with Ryanair, it's just the card you used. They have a higher charge when converting from one currency to another.

Then it looks like it is a dynamic currency conversion issue, why didn't your card do the conversion rather than Ryanair?

No idea.

amcalester wrote: »
    Ryanair offer you a fixed rate when paying with a different currency and I've always found it to be worse than he rate my own bank give me.

There's a tick box to untick if you don't want to fix the exchange rate.

So, does that mean that they're right & I'm wrong?

When buying on a card issued in another country, you should have the option of being charged in that currency. I've had this happen before and always check that I'm paying in €uros. I don't think it's anything to do with Ryanair, it's just the card you used. They have a higher charge when converting from one currency to another.

€17?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

So, does that mean that they're right & I'm wrong?

I think so. Happened to me once and it's very annoying.

• Advertisement

No idea.

Sounds like you did not uncheck the conversion tickbox thus you allowed Ryanair to convert the transaction from € to £. Almost all retailers will offer you a worse exchange rate doing that.

There are actually no charges on the Revolut card for the first year. I only have it a couple of months.

Where's this box that needs to be unticked? Probably hidden away somewhere?

There are actually no charges on the Revolut card for the first year. I only have it a couple of months.

This is a currency conversion charge, same is would be charged in any bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

amcalester wrote: »
    I think so. Happened to me once and it's very annoying.

Ah I didn't know you were using Revolut. Sounds like it's a mistake on your behalf unfortunately. Revolut is class but you need to be really careful always to pay in local currency and allow Revolut to convert not the retailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭joeysoap

If you book AL from Belfast they offer a guaranteed € price, but it's usually much more expensive than if the bank or CC convert. EasyJet offer a drop down box with a load of currencies including €, but again it's usually cheaper to book in £ and let the card issuer convert. Never heard of anyone in Ireland being charged conversion before so it must be the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Booked the sun holiday recently, somehow I apperently managed to select Visa Credit Card instead of debit card and was charged the 2% credit card fee, which came to over €20.

After being in a live chat queue for 1hr 15mins I managed to get to customer service, I now have to send bank statements to prove that the card was a debit card.

Fun :)

My question is, how can the booking still go through if the system thinks it's a credit card? I always thought it wouldn't have! Starting to wonder if I have inadvertently paid alot in credit card fees!

Happened to me once, got onto live chat too, and they said I probably made a mistake, I let it go, only a couple of euro as I very seldom book both flights on the one booking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

JCX BXC wrote: »
    My question is, how can the booking still go through if the system thinks it's a credit card? I always thought it wouldn't have! Starting to wonder if I have inadvertently paid alot in credit card fees!

I wonder is it because they dont see how you pay. I imagine they use a merchant bank to process their payments, who probably just tells them you have paid or not. It is like when you book with paypal, they dont tell the retailer your card number etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭LandoCalrissian

Looking to change name on a ticket

Flying to Italy but via UK so return its 4 flights all in

On the Ryanair website it says
    "Charges apply to changes made to flight dates, routes or times. These are calculated per one way flight/per person and vary season to season.
    Name Change Fee
    Per Passenger €110/£110"

So am I right in thinking they'll be looking for €440 (€110 x 4 flights)?

Surely even for Ryanair that seems steep :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Yeah but unfortunately there's none available

It's for 6N with a group travelling so aim was to travel together

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Is it a name change or a name correction? What is wrong with the existing names?

You don't pay that price for corrections, only changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

devnull wrote: »
    Is it a name change or a name correction? What is wrong with the existing names?

You don't pay that price for corrections, only changes.

Really? I was under the impression that this was only for the first 24 hours.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Really? I was under the impression that this was only for the first 24 hours.

If it's a minor change they will do it for free via live chat at any time, or by calling them.

If it's more than changing the odd letter they will ask for full price.

No it is a name change.

I'm trying to pass on my flights to a mate but at those rates me thinks not

Possibly £110 for the UK Italy and UK - Dublin legs. No alternative airlines from UK to Italy leg? And check Dub- UK leg with AlL for cheaper fare? I have found AL can be as cheap as RY at times. But sometimes you just have to walk away.

• Advertisement

Seriously???

It has no mention of that on he website

Flights had gone up by €200-€250 before they sold

Well that's that then

Advertisement