Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭bada_bing

can anyone confirm that once you've redeemed a ryanair voucher to book a flight you cannot use the voucher again even if there is remaining money on the voucher?? last night i booked a flight using vouchers and then tried to use the remaining €11 on the voucher to be redeemed on another flight but it kept giving me an error message.

it would seem really scabby if you cannot use the remaining amount on the voucher if it had been used once before. anyone know what the story is???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

bada_bing wrote: »
    can anyone confirm that once you've redeemed a ryanair voucher to book a flight you cannot use the voucher again even if there is remaining money on the voucher?? last night i booked a flight using vouchers and then tried to use the remaining €11 on the voucher to be redeemed on another flight but it kept giving me an error message.

it would seem really scabby if you cannot use the remaining amount on the voucher if it had been used once before. anyone know what the story is???
    http://www.ryanair.com/site/vouchers/conditions_EN.html
    • Vouchers can only be redeemed on www.ryanair.com
    • Gift vouchers must be redeemed within 6 months (186 days) of the voucher issue date after which date the voucher becomes void
    • The validity of the vouchers cannot be extended.
    • Vouchers are issued in denominations of €20/€40 or local currency equivalent.
    • If a voucher is partially redeemed the remaining balance is non-refundable.
    • Vouchers are only valid for the person named as the voucher recipient
    • A maximum of 4 vouchers can be used to purchase a flight. If the total amount of ticket price exceeds the value of the voucher(s) any price difference must be paid by credit or/debit card.
    • Vouchers are only valid for the payment of Ryanair flights and any associated taxes, fees and charges.
    • Redemption of gift vouchers in a different currency from the issuing currency will be subject to foreign currency conversion rate at the time of booking.

hmm if i'm reading the conditions right , it does not say anything about using the remaining credit on the voucher. It just says that the remaining amount is non refundable which is fine. I believe that based on consumer rights in this country i should be able to use the remaining credit on the voucher,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Tupins

There has been a lot of discussion about avoiding the credit card charges that Ryanair charge. Other than paying by visa electron (which is not available in Ireland) someone suggested to me to buy Ryanair gift vouchers and use them as there would be no credit card charge. This seemed like a good idea as when you buy them they are delivered to your email immediately.

The vouchers are sold in denominations of 25, 50, 75, 100, 150, or 200 euro but you must choose one amount from a drop down list - i.e. it's not possible to select 1 x 25 and 1 x 150 to make 175 for example. (unless you complete two separate transactions which is not very convenient)

I was planning to book two flights and I bought a voucher for €200 and was sent 4 voucher numbers worth €50 each.

Now, here's the catch:

It says in their terms and conditions that up to four vouchers may be used in a single transaction so I thought that this would be very handy as if one is partially used you can put it towards the next flight along with another voucher.

It also states that if a voucher is partially redeemed the remaining balance is non-refundable. To me, this meant that if I didn't use the whole amount of the voucher I would not be able to get this money back from Ryanair (ie the definition of refund) but I assumed that I would still be able to redeem the remaining amount on future purchases, as is the way of vouchers used in any other establishment.

Well, as you have guessed by now - no I couldn't. After I booked the first flight, there was about €20 unused on one of the vouchers which I tried to put towards the second flight but when I entered the number a message came up saying 'voucher already redeemed' or something along those lines.

I thought this was a total rip off and if there are any legal people reading this I'd love to know the legality of witholding someone's money like this.

The story has a happy ending though, as I wrote a letter of complaint to Ryanair and would you believe they have issued me a new voucher with the remaining balance of the unused amount!! They sent it via email with 'Reissued Gift Voucher' in the subject and on the email simply a new voucher number and the amount. No 'Dear' or 'From' or apology or any message - just the voucher. Oh well, you can't have it all :rolleyes:

As far as I'm concerned, by giving me back the amount which is rightfully mine, they admit that they were in the wrong yet no doubt there are other people out there who are still getting ripped off by this situation all the time.
    My advice to anyone is not to buy these vouchers in the first place as the only time they will be of value is if you buy the amount which is the exact amount of the flight. If it's less, you won't get your 'change' and if it's more you'll have to make up the difference with your credit card and get charged that charge anyway.

If anyone else has had the same experience as I've had, I urge you to write a letter of complaint to Ryanair and demand a voucher be reissued with your remaining balance. The more people who say nothing - the longer they'll keep getting away with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

hmm,while i usually err on the side of cynacism regarding Ryanair, is it possible that it's just ironing out the kinks with the system?it seems odd that they would issue a new voucher without you kicking up an almighty fuss?usually you need to threaten WW3 to get anything done with them!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I can#t remember the exact wording but the T&C were pretty clear anytime I've used the vouchers. Most transactions I have with Ryanair are 2 people, return flights so the cc charges are €20, if I can get vouchers within €20 of the cost of the flights I was still saving something.

Well I did kick up a fuss as such in my letter. Threatned to go to the National Consumer agency etc. Perhaps they had received other similar complaints.

I think Ryanair are among many other companies who are depending on the Irish attitude of people moaning and complaining amongst themselves but never actually going to the bother of making official complaints to the company.

Another possibility is they just wanted to shut me up. As I said there was no acknowlegement of anything or no apology, just the bare voucher. They probably thought that it was easier to give me back my €20 than to have to change policy or whatever.

I can#t remember the exact wording but the T&C were pretty clear anytime I've used the vouchers. Most transactions I have with Ryanair are 2 people, return flights so the cc charges are €20, if I can get vouchers within €20 of the cost of the flights I was still saving something.

I'm not sure I fully understand your post - are you saying that you think it's ok that they don't let you redeem any unused amounts on your vouchers? I'm not talking about getting a refund I'm just talking about being able to use what's left on future flights.

i'm in the same boat as the OP, i got some vouchers and used them for a flight. One voucher was partially redeemed and i tried to use it on another flight but it would not accept it. So i'm agreement with the OP that we should be allowed to used the remaining credit on a voucher. The T&Cs only state that the remaining amount is non-refundable, nothing about using them again to redeem the remaining credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

hmm if i'm reading the conditions right , it does not say anything about using the remaining credit on the voucher. It just says that the remaining amount is non refundable which is fine. I believe that based on consumer rights in this country i should be able to use the remaining credit on the voucher,

Interesting point. Anyone care to comment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

From looking at the Ryanair T&Cs it seems pretty clear how the vouchers work. You can only use a voucher once and the money isn't refundable, they say nothing about transfering.

I'm assuming the reason why you only got an email with a new voucher is becuase that's how they work it. You use part of a voucher, this number is now no longer valid, you email their customer care and get a new voucher issued for the remaining credit. I know it's not the easiest way but they did respond quickly with an email for your remaining credit.

If someone does use a part of a voucher and can't use it for another transaction the first thing they'd do is contact the issuer and ask for the remaining credit and if they don't it's not the issuer at fault it the person with more money then sense. If they don't issue a new voucher for the remaining credit then it would be a consumer issue, but I think this isn't.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Tupins wrote: »
    Well I did kick up a fuss as such in my letter. Threatned to go to the National Consumer agency etc. Perhaps they had received other similar complaints.
    You are aware that NCA is about as threatening to Ryanair as a wet paper towel (actually the towel would probably have more effect), right?

Regarding the amount back, it may very well be a issue in the system (i.e. once a voucher is listed as used it don't keep track on the remaining amount on it) and nothing else.

As for vouchers not redeemed, this is what ALL companies count on and why they don't allow you to cash them in etc. A unused voucher is the best margin product of any company period.

Merged into the Ryanair megathread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

Flight was cancelled out of Charleroi on Feb 2nd, it was announced that this was due to technical difficulties, the flight was delayed a number of times before being cancelled.
    We were eventually told to go the the Tickets desk and rebook. Got there only flight available was the same flight the next day.. 19.40.. we were given a compensation claim form, and were told that Ryanair would compensate up to a reasonable amount for accommodation.
    Just before booking a hotel, I went back and asked if we would definitely receive a reasonable refund and the Ryanair CS employee said yes of course. Wish I had've videoed it because I knew it was all a bit too easy.

Anyways, claim was sent off and received response to say that we would get no compensation.
    They have themselves covered
    "As detailed in our EU261 Article 14.2 notice, when a flight disruption is outside of our control, we regret that no monetary compensation is due under Article 7 of EU261/2004."

Fair enough, not sure where you can go with that as its in the T&C you agree too. What annoys me so much, is the blatantly misleading information provided by Ryanair at the Airport. Even tho the weather wasn't great there were planes landing and taking off in Charleroi, and not once did ryanair say it was due to adverse weather conditions. Every announcement said technical difficulties. And then a planeful of people were fobbed off by the Ryanair staff, told to go book a hotel and they would definitely be reasonably compensated. Im sure there wouldve been uproar if they said there would be no accomodation compensation as the airport closes overnight.

I will definitely look for any alternatives next time I fly

Just wondering if anyone has had any luck with this..
    http://www.eccireland.ie/topics/airpassengerrights/flight_delay_cancelation_boarding.html
    http://www.aviationreg.ie/Cancellation/Default.209.html

everytime i see a post about ryanair flights being cancelled, they always claim technical difficulties. I'm starting to wonder if that's just a tactic to cover up the real reason so as to avoid paying compensation to travellers whose's flights and plans have been disrupted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

Um not really sure if I should add to this megathread or try starting a new one, but I figure I might as well start here.

I booked flights with Ryanair for may/june, going to a friend's wedding, and I got an email from them yesterday that my return flight was cancelled! They used the term "schedule change" in the email, and offered a return flight that is a day early, or a refund. Just two links, no phone number or email address or other option.

Moving the flight a day early means I'll have to get up early in the morning after the wedding, so probably not getting much sleep or a chance to work off the hangover, and then driving 4 hours to the airport, which is a bit too close to suicide for my liking.

I am tempted to ask for the refund and try and cancel the car hire and try and find another way of getting there.

I understand the EU directive 261/2004 is offering protection to airline passengers who are already at the airport waiting for their flight, but I don't really know where I stand with this? Am I allowed compensation?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

netman wrote: »
    I understand the EU directive 261/2004 is offering protection to airline passengers who are already at the airport waiting for their flight, but I don't really know where I stand with this? Am I allowed compensation?
    No. Worst case scenario you are entitled to a refund (which they offered).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Watch this with interest
    MORE THAN 200 Ryanair passengers are suing the airline after their flights were cancelled or delayed and the company refused to pay compensation.

Dublin legal firm Lavelle Coleman, which is handling the claims on behalf of 120 sets of passengers, this week lodged court summonses in two test cases.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0214/1233867937240.html

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Diairist

busy peopple these Lavelle Coleman....

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0130/anglo.html

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Bufflefrog

Hi everyone

Just received a call from my sister who is very upset at the aiport. She missed her flight to Edinburgh yesterday so paid 75 euro to have her flight transfered to a flight today at 10.45. She arrived at the airport early, checked in, and waited at her gate that was printed on itinerary. She heard passanger names being called to go to another gate, but didn't her her own, and after a while, the boarding gate turned to "London"
    She asked the guy at the gate what was going on, and he said to her that the flight gate had changed, and that they had called passangers who had not changed to the other gate. She asked them if they had called her name, and they had not. He apologised and said she would have to talk to the girls at the check-in desk.
    The women at the checkin desk were overly apologetic, but said there was nothing they could do and that she would have to just book another ticket, something that she cannot do as she doesn't have the money.

I'm absolutely fuming.... So does anyone know if she has any rights here? It seems that they had not transferred her passanger details to the new flight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

That's terrible :(
    I'm not sure about "rights" though. As a rule of thumb (I usually say) Ryanair and "rights" in the same sentance is an oxymoron. This is why I stay away from them.

I would assume, and I'm just speculating here, but I think that you *may* be able to get the fare price refunded or used against another ticket but you can't get a refund on any taxes or charges (which Ryanair love so much).

At every airport there's notices with regards passenger rights, they're worth a read , so there are some rights. Just not sure if there's any regards this situation, I think it's down to customer service (again, with Ryanair you get what you pay for:()

Here's some links that you should read :
    http://www.aviationreg.ie/Air_Passenger_Rights/Default.83.html

http://www.eccireland.ie/topics/airpassengerrights.html

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/air-travel/air_passenger_rights_in_the_EU?tab=related

btw, I once missed the check in deadline with Aer Lingus. I went up to their desk and bought another flight. They discounted some of what I'd already paid but I can't remember exactly how much.

Merged into the Ryanair megathread

everytime i see a post about ryanair flights being cancelled, they always claim technical difficulties. I'm starting to wonder if that's just a tactic to cover up the real reason so as to avoid paying compensation to travellers whose's flights and plans have been disrupted.

penexpers wrote: »

Cheers, very interesting indeed...
    Ryanair's repsponse is brave.
    "“We will never deal with greedy, ambulance-chasing organisations who promote a compensation culture where people are encouraged to seek compensation which is clearly outside of EU261 legislation,”

Does that not border on libel there ? Saying that this crowd are a "greedy, ambulance-chasing organisation".

Interestingly enough that article said this at the end :
    Mr Rattenbury said no complaints were received about Aer Lingus.

Aer Lingus for the win.:pac:
    eth0_ wrote: »
    You CANNOT travel to the UK with a driving licence on ryanair. It states this clearly during the booking process, and on the online check-in. They only accept passports or EU identity cards.
    seamus wrote: »
    Yep, afaik. My brother went over last week and they had to fill out one of those advance passenger information forms, along with passport type & number.

Actually, according to Aer Lingus:

I imagine the change that was made was this "advance passenger info" requirement.

Just to update these posts, I've been flying to Glasgow for the last few months with EI with my Garda Age Card (one of the original ones).

Coming through Dublin Airport you've to queue up with the rest of the passport control people, there's no more dedicated UK check point. Last time I passed through I got some lip service about using the card "They let you travel with this then Alan?" :rolleyes:

I think it was because I was rolling my eyes in the queue because of the length of time it was taking to get through and of course yer man saw this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

just had an emergency landing in shannon, some problem with a tyre, aborted landing, we spotted fire brigades waiting for us, circled and came in again, airhostesses crying and screaming brace brace brace. terrifying, im still shaking!

zuroph wrote: »
    just had an emergency landing in shannon, some problem with a tyre, aborted landing, we spotted fire brigades waiting for us, circled and came in again, airhostesses crying and screaming brace brace brace. terrifying, im still shaking!

Was everyone on board ok ? No serious injuries ?
    What were the staff's response like ?

cabin crew crying doesn't sound good :confused:

everyone ok, no injuries that i saw. first landing attempt was almost on the ground when they took off, so i think they had someone spotting the landing gear. once back up pilot told us there was a problem with a tyre. crew decided no time to brief us (maybe not to cause panic). about 5 second before second landing pilot shouted "brace brace brace" over intercom, airhostesses then kept screaming it from their seats. landing seemed rough but ok, hard to tell with head between arms. passengers were oddly calm, horrible feeling, sort of resigned to whatever happens. could only see they had been crying afterwards. no explanation after flight, i was just glad to get out of there, thought my number was up. lots of emergency services around.
    at start of flight, pilot had mentioned the plane was a replacement from earlier in day, and the take off was rough, so there must have been something missed in a safety check or something. not a nice experience, im gonna be nervous of flying again.

"missed safety checks" seem to kinda be a feature in the criticisms or repoting of Ryanair anytime something like this happens.

From following that Hudson river landing the other week, it seems that passengers can sometimes be oddly quiet during these things.

Landing gear is very important and I think you've to wait until the gear is up before you're actually "took off" as it were, and you can't land of course until the gear's been dropped down.

well the take off was quite rough I can remember remarking on it with my girlfriend that it didnt feel normal, so maybe the tyre burst then. It being reported as a burst tyre elsewhere.

Where's it being reporteD?
    Got any links to newsites?

• Advertisement

Where's it being reporteD?
    Got any links to newsites?
    ran a search via google, it was on some newswire blog so far. Sure it'll turn up on more soon. I'm currently very shook up, drinkin to calm down!

Advertisement