Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Rock Steady Edy

Looking to book a flight for the summer. Baggage charge to Europe is coming up as saying £/€25 and will increase if not booked at time of booking. However, it does not say how much it would increase to. Anyone any experience of this?

I don't currently have a booking to test it out on.

On a secondary note, any idea what proportion of people book seats? Given that you can view how many people have booked seats, if you know what proportion don't book seats, you can work out how many seats are still left for sale before the flight date and therefore whether the price is likely to go up or down in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

On a secondary note, any idea what proportion of people book seats? Given that you can view how many people have booked seats, if you know what proportion don't book seats, you can work out how many seats are still left for sale before the flight date and therefore whether the price is likely to go up or down in future.

Hardly anyone, given that people flying with Ryanair are going for the cheapest option possible.

Unless it's of course during the School holidays when people are travelling with kids, the seat booking is mandatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

redcup342 wrote: »
    Hardly anyone, given that people flying with Ryanair are going for the cheapest option possible.

Completely inaccurate, Ryanair is often not the "cheapest possible option", often it is the only option or the most sensible option. I think you'd be very surprised with how many book their seats nowadays since they brought in the random allocation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭deezell

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Completely inaccurate, Ryanair is often not the "cheapest possible option", often it is the only option or the most sensible option. I think you'd be very surprised with how many book their seats nowadays since they brought in the random allocation.

If are looking for two together, don't leave it too late, as the centre seats are filled up first by the random allocation, leaving you with nothing but window/aisle or aisle/aisle combinations. If you check in one passenger randomly as early as possible, there's a good chance they will be stuck in a centre seat. You can then pay for the window or ailse seat next to them, cutting seat cost by half.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭p15574

Caranica wrote: »
    To update, got on to Ryanair live chat today and they REFUNDED me! I didn't even have to fight it, I just said I got the email and the link wouldn't allow me to submit the form. Agent asked if I'd like a refund, I said yes please and hey presto. Absolutely flabbergasted but so impressed!

I tried again and didn't get anywhere, they just kept saying to email them (had already done, twice, getting a canned response back) or directing me to their refunds page (which won't do anything as the flight wasn't cancelled). They eventually hung up on me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭joeysoap

If your a solo traveler you probably don’t need to book. If you’r a couple then you might consider booking as RY will definitely split you up if you don’t book. If you are booking a seat, definitely do it when your booking as it’s a little cheaper. Bear in mind that different seats have different prices, and the cheaper ones are from row 25 (26?) to row 29. If it’s important to have your cabin bag on board you’ll need to book priority. Can’t help about checked bags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

I don't know anyone that does.
    However if you book with kids the seat booking is automatically in the price as its mandatory to be seated with kids.

Hence there will be more seats booked during school holiday because more kids will be traveling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Booked two adults and two kids (flying in Aug.) last week. had to pay for the adult seats but the kids were free.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

God, the Ryanair site is so unbelievably buggy.

I was trying to add a checked bag to my booking last night, paid some with voucher and was paying the remainder by paypal.

Instead, Ryanair took two amounts, one from PayPal and one from my saved card, and didn't use the voucher which had said it was applied successfully. And no bag was added to the booking.

Trying to get the foreign chat and phone agents to understand the issue is a nightmare. Basically, they've taken money from me without authorization and have so far done nothing about it...

• Advertisement

God, the Ryanair site is so unbelievably buggy.

I was trying to add a checked bag to my booking last night, paid some with voucher and was paying the remainder by paypal.

Instead, Ryanair took two amounts, one from PayPal and one from my saved card, and didn't use the voucher which had said it was applied successfully. And no bag was added to the booking.

Trying to get the foreign chat and phone agents to understand the issue is a nightmare. Basically, they've taken money from me without authorization and have so far done nothing about it...

Now, trying to access my booking on the website. I'm being told I need to contact Ryanair as there's outstanding balance due on my £20 flight, which I fully paid off by voucher back in February. All I wanted to do was buy a bag! So, so poor....

I think a phone human will be able to sort out your mess.

Unfortunately three phone calls to them today did nothing. Three reps couldn't speak proper English and could barely understand what I was complaining about... All outsourced, have yet to speak to an Irish rep.

It continues.. turns out the rep on the phone added a checked bag to my booking without informing me of it or the excessive charges. They now want £40 for the checked bag which is £20 online, which was my issue in the first place. That their site kicked off the voucher when I was trying to buy it online... No one will listen on chat. It's just robots copy and pasting. Phone line useless. What are my options here??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭Glebee

Unfortunately three phone calls to them today did nothing. Three reps couldn't speak proper English and could barely understand what I was complaining about... All outsourced, have yet to speak to an Irish rep.

I hate having to ring Ryanair customer support. The last time I had to ring I just lost it on the phone. The person at the other end had no idea what I was on about. I demanded a supervisor and all of a sudden problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭deezell

It continues.. turns out the rep on the phone added a checked bag to my booking without informing me of it or the excessive charges. They now want £40 for the checked bag which is £20 online, which was my issue in the first place. That their site kicked off the voucher when I was trying to buy it online... No one will listen on chat. It's just robots copy and pasting. Phone line useless. What are my options here??
    I've generally found the webchat ideal. I open a notepad window first and have all the details, dates, booking refs, email text etc. typed up so I can cut and paste rapidly to the agent's querys. My only failed interaction was when changing a flight date and the fare sought on the change interface was way in excess of the fare displayed on the normal site, meaning I was asked for a contrived fare increase as well as the €60 change fee. Agent seen it too, but was helpless to do anything.

deezell wrote: »
    I've generally found the webchat ideal. I open a notepad window first and have all the details, dates, booking refs, email text etc. typed up so I can cut and paste rapidly to the agent's querys. My only failed interaction was when changing a flight date and the fare sought on the change interface was way in excess of the fare displayed on the normal site, meaning I was asked for a contrived fare increase as well as the €60 change fee. Agent seen it too, but was helpless to do anything.

I've used them five times over the past day or two and each time they've been hopeless. Copy and pasting links and things that have nothing to do with my query. So stressful.

No longer calling it priority boarding - it’s now called priority and 2 cabin bags (in fairness we worked that one out ourselves )

Price of seats has increased. Who saw that coming? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

had a 5 hour delay coming back from Gatwick this week, only for staff in Gatwick to help us get on another flight. Ryanair as ever had no one around to get more info as the board kept saying next info @ on the board. They were texting my phone with misinformation it was a farce. We eventually got to Dublin 6 hours after the scheduled time to arrive.
    I applied for compensation as the delay was over 3 hours and within a day they confirmed that compensation was due @€;250 per person.
    that end of Ryanair was great but the airport part was shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

patrickc wrote: »
    had a 5 hour delay coming back from Gatwick this week, only for staff in Gatwick to help us get on another flight. Ryanair as ever had no one around to get more info as the board kept saying next info @ on the board. They were texting my phone with misinformation it was a farce. We eventually got to Dublin 6 hours after the scheduled time to arrive.
    I applied for compensation as the delay was over 3 hours and within a day they confirmed that compensation was due @€;250 per person.
    that end of Ryanair was great but the airport part was shocking.

Ryanair don’t have their own staff in Gatwick airport, the staff that were helping you were the handling agents that Ryanair use over there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Hey Guys , would love some advice.

Trip to Spain booked ages back to leave this Thursday.

Had to route Cork - Stansted - Alicante with ryanair. so 2 seperate bookings.

Cue air traffic control strike in france this thursday - just got a text from ryanair this evening, flight cancelled on Stansted to Alicante Leg on Thursday.

I have checked alternative flights - none will suit without costing a significant amount of money to change the Cork - Stansted leg also. They also will not leg me change the return leg of Alicante to Stansted without charging the difference.

Anybody got any pointers - or is this a case of just swallow the loss and move on !

Probably a case of swallowing the loss and you can't do anything.

You should be able to get a refund for the return leg if you cancel the trip in my understanding, and then your only loss would be the Cork-Stansted leg, perhaps this would be a better course of action?

Or you could try travel from another airport to Alicante, and use the same route home? You can fly Dublin to Alicante at this time of year.

Probably a case of swallowing the loss and you can't do anything.

You should be able to get a refund for the return leg if you cancel the trip in my understanding, and then your only loss would be the Cork-Stansted leg, perhaps this would be a better course of action?

Or you could try travel from another airport to Alicante, and use the same route home? You can fly Dublin to Alicante at this time of year.
    The kerry & shannon flights are not starting until Easter weekend unfortunately, Dublin to Alicante sold out

The kerry & shannon flights are not starting until Easter weekend unfortunately, Dublin to Alicante sold out

Ah yes noticed that, I thought you said next Thursday, my fault.

Perhaps the best course of action is to just cancel straight out and swallow the loss of the Cork-Stansted flight? Will probably hurt though.

Have you accommodation booked? My experience is that even if there isn't a free cancellation policy hotels are normally understanding if a flights cancelled.

Can Ryanair accommodate you within a reasonable time frame?

Ah yes noticed that, I thought you said next Thursday, my fault.

Perhaps the best course of action is to just cancel straight out and swallow the loss of the Cork-Stansted flight? Will probably hurt though.

Have you accommodation booked? My experience is that even if there isn't a free cancellation policy hotels are normally understanding if a flights cancelled.

Can Ryanair accommodate you within a reasonable time frame?
    Luckily was staying with a family member in Spain so no cost lost there , just need to deal with the depression of a holiday snatched away at such short notice

I was on a RY flight this week. Interesting to note how they dealt with the bags issue. About 10 mins before boarding a staff member came round and went to each seat and asked to see boarding pass, and tagged your bag accordingly. I didn’t notice if she walked the queue but I’d guess she did. The person(s) on the actual gate ignored the bag issue entirely as there was dozens of tagged bags and you just left them on a trolley near the aircraft. The trolley was full by the time I got there.
    I was still surprised how many bags were on board,I think many who booked priority took two cabin size bags on board (that was my observation anyway) and also if anyone rocked up ‘late’ to the boarding queue they also got their bag on board, priority or not as the RY staff member was somewhere else by then and the staff checking passports/boarding cards were not looking at the bags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

joeysoap wrote: »
    I was on a RY flight this week. Interesting to note how they dealt with the bags issue. About 10 mins before boarding a staff member came round and went to each seat and asked to see boarding pass, and tagged your bag accordingly. I didn’t notice if she walked the queue but I’d guess she did. The person(s) on the actual gate ignored the bag issue entirely as there was dozens of tagged bags and you just left them on a trolley near the aircraft. The trolley was full by the time I got there.
    I was still surprised how many bags were on board,I think many who booked priority took two cabin size bags on board (that was my observation anyway) and also if anyone rocked up ‘late’ to the boarding queue they also got their bag on board, priority or not as the RY staff member was somewhere else by then and the staff checking passports/boarding cards were not looking at the bags.

I've ripped the tag off my bag after the gate a few times when I knew I was in a rush at the far side, that could explain the number of bags on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Where is the link to claim 250 for delayed flight compensation on Ryanair's site? Can't find it anywhere.

All links seem to want receipts as proof. Waited 3.5 hours nothing to do with weather. Going around in circles.

Any help appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Gonna try chat first. Thanks for the prompt reply.

Advertisement