Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Rasputin87

Hi,

Tonight's (last) flight to Stansted was due to depart at 21:55. It was delayed more than 2 hours (we're only boarding now).

As a result, I will miss my prebooked train from Stansted to Central London as last train leaves at 00:30. There may be buses available, though (i) I'm not sure what the bank holiday timetable is, and (ii) it takes 85 mins for it to get to my destination. I'd much rather get a taxi or Uber which would have me there much sooner as I've already been delayed enough and have an early start in the morning.

Do I have any compensation options, even if it's just to recoup the extra cost of my taxi/Uber compared to my train?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,481 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

a 2 hour delay would not entitle you to any compensation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭trellheim

Beware: Currently a lot of the Ryanair ( ios ) mobile app is forcing an application upgrade ( as far as I can see to sell you more hotels)

the problem is that any stored itinerary is lost in the upgrade, so if you are travelling without the paperwork or email you may have issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Paid a quick visit to my Algarve friend when I discovered last week flights were only €34 each way, no bags, no seats, no priority.

Booked on Monday morning (1am) for Monday evening flight, return yesterday evening,

Bag policy working exceptionally well, in Dublin young lady requested to see boarding pass and then put label on your cabin bag. I even offered the bag first but she said she had to see boarding pass first. This was in the seating area, but she attended the queue first. Result: loads of overhead space for bags for anyone with priority and two bags.

Faro: the checkin staff (who on this occasion were actually RY staff) were tagging the bags. Immediately in front of me were a couple and he had ‘strapped’ his ‘small’ bag to his cabin bag with the result it was meeting 2 of the measurements - but way too tall for the third measurement. She informed him to separate the bags and she would tag the cabin bag. He wasn’t having it, so she went with him to the end of the line and got him to put it into the framey thing. Course it was way too tall,so he ended up splitting the bags after all. Not only that she informed him it was overweight but I don’t know what happened there as she let me go in front of him. I did overhear an argument later (everybody did) when a passenger said he ‘never’ had to pay for extra weight previously and he wasn’t going to now either. I think he lost that one though, as one of the staff accompanied him to some desk to pay.

Seats: I got an aisle going out, only booked 15 hours before flight and I could see the window seat was empty, and that’s how it ended up, the person in the middle seat moved over once the doors were closed, coming home I got a middle seat, but as I had only small bag didn’t bother boarding until near the end. When I got to row 11 the middle and inside seat were occupied, and the lady asked me if I minded taking the aisle seat. Happy days.

Ryanair actually managed the feat of putting husband and wife in 11A and 11C.
    Some people would pay good money for that! They should advertise it more :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Lucky she didn’t weigh my bag, I had a load of Portuguese oranges. (Anybody who has enjoyed them out there will know why)only 2 days, I travelled out very light. And I was with my friend. So I had loads of room.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Flight booked for gatwick next Thursday.

Checked in bother only to find that my first name was not correct. Something like Dave in for David or Mike instead of Micheal.

Never had this issue before and having signed up to their website some time ago it appears that linking my Facebook account has updated my personal details.

What are my options here? Will i have to fork out €230 for a name change? Or do I have any hope me getting my name corrected for free?

Just seen this is common enough. Anyone experience when checked in and noticed it then?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Probably will not be noticed or commented on.

What is checked? The card/passport only or does something come up on the screen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭mightyreds

godtabh wrote: »
    Flight booked for gatwick next Thursday.

Checked in bother only to find that my first name was not correct. Something like Dave in for David or Mike instead of Micheal.

Never had this issue before and having signed up to their website some time ago it appears that linking my Facebook account has updated my personal details.

What are my options here? Will i have to fork out €230 for a name change? Or do I have any hope me getting my name corrected for free?

Just seen this is common enough. Anyone experience when checked in and noticed it then?

Had this happen before they changed it for free , then whoever changed it must of fell asleep on the keyboard, for example Dave to Davvvvid they also changed that for free

• Advertisement

Just off live chat with RyanAir. Explained situation and sorted in less than 5 mins. Just need to recheck in. One of the best CS experiences I have had ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

Lads looking for some info,before I ring.Have a family holiday booked to fly out in a few weeks.One of my parents died recently,I want to bring my niece with us now instead.A Work colleague just told me,it is only €100 to change the name.Is this correct,or will I not bother ringing,and just book a full flight for her online.

kerrylad1 wrote: »
    Lads looking for some info,before I ring.Have a family holiday booked to fly out in a few weeks.One of my parents died recently,I want to bring my niece with us now instead.A Work colleague just told me,it is only €100 to change the name.Is this correct,or will I not bother ringing,and just book a full flight for her online.

Ryanair FAQ shows €115 , so twice that.

https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful-info/help-centre/fees

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

I see Ryanair have changed their check-in policy and it's now only free from 48 hours to 2 hours before departure from June 13th. Getting tight ...

Please note that for all flights from June 13th 2018 onwards, standard (free) online check-in will be available from 48 hours to 2 hours pre-departure. Customers who choose not to reserve their preferred seat, can check in online or on the mobile app free of charge from 48 hours to 2 hours pre-departure and will be randomly allocated a seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Rock Steady Edy

:D They have some balls to say they're "Always Getting Better". I'd love to know how they justify that reducing the free check-in period from 7 days to 4 days to 2 days and creating an algorithm that deliberately separates those who do not pay to sit together is getting better.

Very happy to have booked AL to Italy in July at for just over €50 a head for our outbound - around half the price Ryanair were at the time of booking and without having to play Ryanair Roulette or pay extra. It'll be nice to stroll up to Check in and get our 3 seats together.

:D They have some balls to say they're "Always Getting Better". I'd love to know how they justify that reducing the free check-in period from 7 days to 4 days to 2 days and creating an algorithm that deliberately separates those who do not pay to sit together is getting better.

Very happy to have booked AL to Italy in July at for just over €50 a head for our outbound - around half the price Ryanair were at the time of booking and without having to play Ryanair Roulette or pay extra. It'll be nice to stroll up to Check in and get our 3 seats together.

I agree with most of your post, however, there won’t necessarily be 3 seats left together at that stage. The pleasure is knowing you can stroll up to the desk and you won’t be charged.

checkin on line either by mobile or Internet cafe in the 30 hour window ( you don’t have to print out boarding passes, they will be issued at the check in desk but you will have booked your seats)

RoYoBo wrote: »
    I see Ryanair have changed their check-in policy and it's now only free from 48 hours to 2 hours before departure from June 13th. Getting tight ...

Please note that for all flights from June 13th 2018 onwards, standard (free) online check-in will be available from 48 hours to 2 hours pre-departure. Customers who choose not to reserve their preferred seat, can check in online or on the mobile app free of charge from 48 hours to 2 hours pre-departure and will be randomly allocated a seat.

LOL. anyone familiar with trying to avoid the middle seats doesn’t check in until at least 24 hours before the flight anyway. A good way to test what’s still available is to try and book the same flight, going as far as purchasing a seat. That way you have a fair idea how middle seats are still available. Shouldn’t be many with less than 24 hours to go.

Oh, and book your return separate (for the same reason)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

It's funny now, every flight i've taken since the new policy ends up with everyone wanting to get on last so they can just get into two empty seats next to each other when they get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

redcup342 wrote: »
    It's funny now, every flight i've taken since the new policy ends up with everyone wanting to get on last so they can just get into two empty seats next to each other when they get on.

People fighting capitalist system ? I call them communists !! :P
    Very happy to have booked AL to Italy in July at for just over €50 a head for our outbound - around half the price Ryanair were at the time of booking.

Pity lot of locations are covered only by Ryanair and there is no choice then...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 ArdLix11

Hi I've booked flights for our family in August with reserved seats but my wife has become pregnant since and her due date is close enough to the flights. If I could chance getting my money back through this I would. I am right in thinking that terms for reserved seat flights check in have not changed and so trying to get a refund would be pointless. I have not received an email either. Thanks for your help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,481 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

ArdLix11 wrote: »
    Hi I've booked flights for our family in August with reserved seats but my wife has become pregnant since and her due date is close enough to the flights. If I could chance getting my money back through this I would. I am right in thinking that terms for reserved seat flights check in have not changed and so trying to get a refund would be pointless. I have not received an email either. Thanks for your help

Ryanair wont entertain you. If you have travel insurance you could try claiming from that.

You could try and change the dates, cheaper than name changes (ie transferring the tickets to family/friends), but that might not be feasible but if flights are expensive in August friends might use them at a cost of €115 per flight per leg. Otherwise as above post (ohnonotgmail). Ryanair could probably sell them at twice the price but they won’t take them back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

joeysoap wrote: »
    LOL. anyone familiar with trying to avoid the middle seats doesn’t check in until at least 24 hours before the flight anyway. A good way to test what’s still available is to try and book the same flight, going as far as purchasing a seat. That way you have a fair idea how middle seats are still available. Shouldn’t be many with less than 24 hours to go.

Oh, and book your return separate (for the same reason)

Exactly what I do - have had good seats together for all my flights since the new policy. Most people in middle seats nearby will move to accommodate you when they're offered an aisle or a window seat.

It's just that they've narrowed the 'window' to play the game ... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 ArdLix11

Thanks think we may have to take the hit. We've no travel insurance and cost of moving flight dates would be too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

That's all very fine and good luck to you but don't ever forget that, if it wasn't for Ryanair, you'd have been paying nearer €500 a head but maybe you're too young to remember those days.

Thanks think we may have to take the hit. We've no travel insurance and cost of moving flight dates would be too much.

No friends that could use them at €115 a flight? Maybe no good to you but maybe someone could use August flights for that price.

Congratulations by the way, and good luck with the pregnancy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Mebuntu wrote: »
    That's all very fine and good luck to you but don't ever forget that, if it wasn't for Ryanair, you'd have been paying nearer €500 a head but maybe you're too young to remember those days.
    In fairness lots of other low cost airlines exist and did so before Ryanair, who also lowers fares but maintained customer care in their ethos. Southwest Airlines are one, I think they still give free check in bags and free soft drinks onboard

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kkapp

Aer Lingus allow your o fly to UK with drivers license or alternative ID. Ryanair require you to have a passport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

kkapp wrote: »
    Aer Lingus allow your o fly to UK with drivers license or alternative ID. Ryanair require you to have a passport.

Never particularly made a difference to me, or most I'd assume.

Advertisement