Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

how would they be able to close all check in desks?
    does that mean you can't have any baggage any more?
    Have only desks like the bag, tag and drop desks that aerlingus have.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

If he is going to charge a euro to spend a penny, I think finally he will have lost his golden PR touch. He may believe there is no such thing as bad publicity, but that idea wont fly, pardon the pun. He would absolutely lose custom over it. Which is why I think the charging for the loo idea crops up every now and again during a slow period in order to drum up talk about Ryanair. Its never going to be put into practice, he just suggests it to raise the hackles of people and get his name in the paper. As with closing the check in desks, which is him making yet another dig at the airport costs with DAA etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

now they've announce that they want to charge for using their toilets on the planes

:eek:

I was reading earlier and had to check the calendar, I thought today was April's 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

No doubt toilet access will be cheaper if you pre-book it when booking the flight, stating how many minutes into the flight you'll need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

now they've announce that they want to charge for using their toilets on the planes

Won't happen.

..but how many hits has the Ryanair website had in the past few hours I wonder?

Good old O'Leary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

LONDON (Reuters) - Ryanair's chief executive said Europe's largest budget carrier might start charging passengers for using the toilet while flying, but his spokesman cautioned Michael O'Leary often just made things up at will.

"One thing we have looked at in the past and are looking at again is the possibility of maybe putting a coin slot on the toilet door so that people might actually have to spend a pound to spend a penny in future," O'Leary told BBC television.

He said this would not inconvenience passengers travelling without cash. "I don't think there is anybody in history that has got on board a Ryanair aircraft with less than a pound."

A spokesman said the airline had considered the fee as a possible source of extra revenue since passengers had the option of not using the toilet on board, but added that "maybe O'Leary was just taking the p*** this morning."

"Michael makes a lot of this stuff up as he goes along and while this has been discussed internally there are no immediate plans to introduce it," Stephen McNamara said in a statement.

O'Leary has a reputation as a cost-cutter, expanding Ryanair by offering low headline fares and charging extra for items such as additional luggage.

Last week, Ryanair announced it was to shut all check-in desks at airports and have passengers check in online instead.

"We're all about finding ways of raising discretionary revenue so we can keep lowering the cost of air travel," he said.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/oddlyEnoughNews/idUKTRE51Q2F720090227

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭c4cat

here is one of the links to this story thats in the news media today

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/travel/news/article5814577.ece

Now look at the link where I broke this story on this forum over 8 mts ago

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=56205968#post56205968

Yes you heard it from me first on boards.ie

And to Mod Captain Obvious who closed my thread for no other reason the suspecting me of working in the industry, I can assure you I have nothing to do with the airline industry at all, so you had better eat your keyboard for overdue censoring of my thread just because I broke the story first and you did not believe me it was actually being considered

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

You may need to re read it. Esp this quote:
    Then again, maybe O’Leary was just taking the p*** this morning

Also mentioned loads here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

i'm not sure they could legally get away with this toilet thing; it's not like there's an alternative facility onboard. also, what about people who are old/infirm or pregnant women or people that have sensitive bladders in general??it just doesn't make sense!!reckon it's O'Leary sounding off as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

:eek:
    This was suggested as a joke on this thread a few months back.

so..

*waves* Hi Michael O Leary, I know you're reading us!!!

• Advertisement

zuroph wrote: »
    This was suggested as a joke on this thread a few months back.

so..

*waves* Hi Michael O Leary, I know you're reading us!!!

It was me that broke this news 8 mth ago on this thread, and it was no Joke then either. I got the info from an insider at Ryanair over a pint in a pub. Everyone thought I was taking the Pi$$ and even the thread got locked by the mods

check the link where I broke this story on this forum over 8 mts ago

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...8#post56205968

Yes you heard it from me first on boards.ie

And to Mod Captain Obvious who closed my thread for no other reason then suspecting me of working in the industry, I can assure you I have nothing to do with the airline industry at all, so you had better eat your keyboard for overdue censoring of my thread just because I broke the story first and you did not believe me it was actually being considered.

I Gtee within 18mts you will have to pay as you pi$$ and sh+t€ on a Ryanair plane cos as they claim they are inovators

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

I support being charged to use the toilets, it's a good move.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

c4cat wrote: »
    It was me that broke this news 8 mth ago on this thread, and it was no Joke then either. I got the info from an insider at Ryanair over a pint in a pub. Everyone thought I was taking the Pi$$ and even the thread got locked by the mods

It will cost you a pound!!! :D:D:D

Now you know Ryanair Doesn't want to Take The P!ss For Free But suddenly the flight gets bumpy, the plane starts plummetting and the oxygen masks drop down...Although no one can breathe the sweet, sweet oxygen until they've swiped their maestro cards and entered their pins... The life-jackets only inflate if you insert the token that you bought at the airport and you've got no chance of getting down the emergency shoot if you didn't pay the surcharge when you bought the tickets.....

But at least my last act on this earth was standing on my seat and pissing on that annoying guy next to me talking loudly on his mobile phone....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

This just proves that O'Leary is full of shit and Ryanair is a toilet airline.

i'm not sure they could legally get away with this toilet thing; it's not like there's an alternative facility onboard. also, what about people who are old/infirm or pregnant women or people that have sensitive bladders in general??it just doesn't make sense!!reckon it's O'Leary sounding off as usual.
    There is no legal obligation to have toilet facilities on board an aircraft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

What happens if flights are delayed with passengers on board ? Will the coin slots be able to handle the coinage ?

I only do short flights between uk and Ireland with Ryanair but should I as a male need to spend a penny pound , the plastic refreshment bottle ( from my overcharged RA lunch pack ) should be big enough to hold contents of my bladder ;)

Talk about cutting corners ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

Bluetonic wrote: »
    There is no legal obligation to have toilet facilities on board an aircraft.

Are you sure?

They are serving food & drink to a substantial number of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

That's pretty much the same as a public house or restaurant not providing a toilet .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Are you sure?

So are train stations and most of them in the UK charge you 20p to use the toilets.

• Advertisement

Are you sure?

100% sure.

eth0_ wrote: »
    So are train stations and most of them in the UK charge you 20p to use the toilets.

Yeah but train stations aren't 5miles up in the air!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Yeah but train stations aren't 5miles up in the air!

Thats why they only charge you 20p, cheaper to service.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Did yis not hear that this story is a hoax? O'Leary was taking the smeg.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

An English friend of mine recently was taking a Ryaniar flight from Birmingham to Faro. She was boarding the plane, when one of the staff asked her to check her handluggage for size, after failing to squash her baggage into their measuring thingy, she was asked could she take anything out. When she said how would she get back whatever she took out - the guy just shrugged his shoulders - when she complained that this was awful service - the guy said right you're not getting on the plane :eek:.

When she got back to the Ryanair desk - the guy there said I don't want to hear about your complaint. This is just a week after her husband's flight from Birmingham was cancelled in the last minute coz of the weather - seemingly all the other flights were going ok though :confused:. He had to make his own way to Stansted, they wouldn't pay for hotels or for transport costs. Needless to say they are livid and are not going to fly with Ryanair again.

On the toilet thing, my wife actually said to me a couple of months ago - half in jest and half serious that next thing you'll know is that Ryanair will start charging you for using the toilet. Looks like she might have been more right than I thought.

Anyway I think whether this toilet charging story is a pisstake or not - it's time that the EU starts regulating the airline industry a whole lot more as it's getting out of hand. Passengers are treated really badly these days and it semes to be getting worse and worse - it's time to reverse this trend imo. These days it's easier to get around to seeing different parts of Europe but unfortunately some sh1t airlines like Ryanair have got routes that passengers like, so if you take the route of starting to avoid certain airlines - then you can be severely limited. For Irish passengers in particular were you to start boycotting (something I wouldn't blame anyone for doing) Ryanair it would really curtail where you could go to easily.

Personally I'd prefer to pay a little bit more if it ensured some basic comfort and a reasonable service. Imo Seat length and width should be big enough to ensure that most people are not going to feel squashed. I mean I'm 5'10" and I feel squashed on a lot of these budget flights - god help those over 6 foot.

Ryanair is one of the most successful Irish businesses and normally that would make me proud of it but instead it makes me cringe :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

luckylucky wrote: »
    An English friend of mine recently was taking a Ryaniar flight from Birmingham to Faro. She was boarding the plane, when one of the staff asked her to check her handluggage for size, after failing to squash her baggage into their measuring thingy, she was asked could she take anything out. When she said how would she get back whatever she took out - the guy just shrugged his shoulders - when she complained that this was awful service - the guy said right you're not getting on the plane :eek:.
    The bag would not fit into the baggage size checker? The baggage size checker was there to make sure the baggage would fit in the overhead compartment. It obviously was too big. What were the staff supposed to do? Allow her to waste time on the plane trying to fit a bag that was too big into the overhead compartments and end up putting it in with the checked in luggage?
    When she got back to the Ryanair desk - the guy there said I don't want to hear about your complaint.
    There was no valid complaint to be made. It was completely her fault.
    This is just a week after her husband's flight from Birmingham was cancelled in the last minute coz of the weather - seemingly all the other flights were going ok though :confused:. He had to make his own way to Stansted, they wouldn't pay for hotels or for transport costs. Needless to say they are livid and are not going to fly with Ryanair again.
    Her husbands flight problems are completely irrelevant to the fact that she tried to bring a bag onto the plane that was too big. That was her fault and her fault only. If Ryanair made an exception for her then it would not be fair on others.
    On the toilet thing, my wife actually said to me a couple of months ago - half in jest and half serious that next thing you'll know is that Ryanair will start charging you for using the toilet. Looks like she might have been more right than I thought.
    They said they were just taking the pi$$ looking for free publicity.
    Anyway I think whether this toilet charging story is a pisstake or not - it's time that the EU starts regulating the airline industry a whole lot more as it's getting out of hand. Passengers are treated really badly these days and it semes to be getting worse and worse - it's time to reverse this trend imo. These days it's easier to get around to seeing different parts of Europe but unfortunately some sh1t airlines like Ryanair have got routes that passengers like, so if you take the route of starting to avoid certain airlines - then you can be severely limited. For Irish passengers in particular were you to start boycotting (something I wouldn't blame anyone for doing) Ryanair it would really curtail where you could go to easily.

Personally I'd prefer to pay a little bit more if it ensured some basic comfort and a reasonable service. Imo Seat length and width should be big enough to ensure that most people are not going to feel squashed. I mean I'm 5'10" and I feel squashed on a lot of these budget flights - god help those over 6 foot.
    If Ryanair were not offering value for money people would not be using their service. They are no less comfortable than getting on a bus eireann or citylink bus for 2-3 hours - why should flying be any different? There is at least the same amount of leg room on a ryanair flight as there is on a bus eireann or citylink bus.

Flying is of course more susceptible to weather and other problems so there will always be more delays and cancellations. End of the day you generally get what you paid for. I have flown the dublin - berlin route about 60 times over the past 3 years or so and the only times I was delayed was with aerlingus twice (once from dublin and once from berlin). I was never delayed with ryanair.

I think people still want to fly in a hotel just because it is an airplane but dont want to pay the associated costs.

I hope you realise that you can take advantage of priority boarding and food all the way to your destination and it would still generally work out cheaper than an aerlingus flight. That way you can get the emergency exit seats or the front row where you have lots of legroom and it costs you just a little more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

This just proves that O'Leary is full of shit and Ryanair is a toilet airline.

if you want to sit on a plane and fly from A to B then go with ryanair, thats what they offer and i'm glad they do

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

if you want to sit on a plane and fly from A to B then go with ryanair, thats what they offer and i'm glad they do

Problem is that Ryanair rarely fly from A to B, its usually A to B*.
    B* being some 30 miles outside of B.

Whenever I have checked recently, Aerlingus has been the same if not cheaper, so I go AerLingus now.

When I first heard that Ryanair were going to stop taking the piss I was happy...then I heard they were charging for it instead :)

The moronic attitude by people who fly Ryanair - "because it's cheaper" - leaves me dumbfounded .

Say you want to go to London.
    You fly to Luton with Ryanair because it is 20euro cheaper than AerLingus.
    AerLingus fly to London and there's a tube at Heathrow so you can get your 3day or week or oyster ticket.
    You then spend 20quid getting from Luton to London.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

The moronic attitude by people who fly Ryanair - "because it's cheaper" - leaves me dumbfounded .

Say you want to go to London.
    You fly to Luton with Ryanair because it is 20euro cheaper than AerLingus.
    AerLingus fly to London and there's a tube at Heathrow so you can get your 3day or week or oyster ticket.
    You then spend 20quid getting from Luton to London.
    so u wanna go to carcassone.....

Advertisement