Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,147 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Ryanair have being doing that for as long as I can remember - it is nothing new. I have always purchased my flights in two legs (it is not just Brits :P ) - UK to destination and then destination to UK and I have never paid the poor euro exchange rate as I have always changed the option before paying

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭deezell

I bet the option is not flagged as "do you wish to pay an extortionate exchange rate". Not just Ryanair, Are Lingus to a lesser rate, also a lot of UK revolut nd other card holders being ripped off in Euro and other currency zone hotels and restaurants, by being denied payment in local currency which they have in their revolut accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,406 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

deezell wrote: »
    I bet the option is not flagged as "do you wish to pay an extortionate exchange rate". Not just Ryanair, Are Lingus to a lesser rate, also a lot of UK revolut nd other card holders being ripped off in Euro and other currency zone hotels and restaurants, by being denied payment in local currency which they have in their revolut accounts.

Its even worse than that. If you try to pay in the currency of the card the Ryanair site warns you that it will be more expensive than paying in euros at their extortionate rate.

I booked a couple of one way Dublin to Glasgow flights this evening and the following is how it is presented - a pain in the backside but something that I expect from Ryanair (and others)

ryanair.jpg

ryanair2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Rock Steady Edy

It would be interesting to see when any debit / credit card company will next be using an exchange rate of €1 = 95.26p.

There are authorities that are supposed to be protecting consumers on this kind of poor practice.

• Advertisement

I booked a couple of one way Dublin to Glasgow flights this evening and the following is how it is presented -

So they tried to extract £81.03 from you for a fare that would have taken only £76.28 , from say a revolut card. The thieving c###s. That's way beyond 'poor practice' . Why am I not surprised. From the people who for years charged a typical family of 5 on holidays a total of TEN credit card transaction charges for the one return booking. It's like trying to keep an eye on a pickpocket with ten arms.

An update, this is what got charged to my credit card

03 Jul 2019 RYANAIR A3CYSZ0 85.06EUROPEAN M at 1.11305940 DUBLIN £76.42

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

I'm off to Spain tomorrow.

I am going dub Manchester alicante. Was half the price of a direct flight

Also, to pay for the Manchester Alicante flights, I used revolut, so avoided mad exchange rates

Yesterday, to my dismay, I was checking in and noticed my name was 'john' instead of johnnie. (an example, 3 letters missing) to change it online was 115 euro as I was outside the 48 hour window.

Got onto live chat and explained johnnie was on my Ryanair account and passport, but John was on the ticket. They fixed it for me no problem. She explained as I was checked in already, the booking was still John, but to reprint boarding cards and johnnie was there. They also stuck a note on the booking.

They are super strict, but they were very reasonable with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Wouldn’t have noticed it at the airport, and if it was wouldn’t have made any difference, but assuring she changed it. I’ve flown with Joe and Joseph. I think they’re mostly checking that your boarding the right flight, and the surnames. match Enjoy the holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

We flew from Dublin a few weeks ago - family booking that included 2 X 20kg bags. I got to the airport bag drop. Scanned the pass, processed first bag. Put second bag on and got a message saying I had reached my allowance of bags. I called the customer service rep over. She gave a "computer says no" type response and told me I would have to pay the 40 quid the machine wanted. I told her and showed the pass saying 2 20kg bags (this bag was smaller and much lighter then the first so no dimension or weight issues there) - she kinda just shrugged and off she went.

I paid it. We flew. On return leg we have no issues at all.

I started to chase up this extra payment. First was brushed off with "bag was probably too big" then was told that anything I pay to Ryanair is non-refundable - end of story.

Should I bother going after it again? It seems they want to 40 quid more than I.

Never had an issue with them before in all the years but i think this stance is pretty outragous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

How much hassle are you going to go to for €40. If you end up going to small claims court thats going to be at least a day of your time.

• Moderators Posts: 6,857 ✭✭✭Spocker

Car99 wrote: »
    How much hassle are you going to go to for €40. If you end up going to small claims court thats going to be at least a day of your time.

It's not the point though (how much money it is), its the fact that the person had to pay twice for the same service. Thats not on, I'd be chasing them for it

i am chasing but besides emails (only a few mind) i would not chase. Of course Ryanair know that. Would not go to small claims court for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

i am chasing but besides emails (only a few mind) i would not chase. Of course Ryanair know that. Would not go to small claims court for example.

Have you tried webchat? I've not experienced your particular problem, but found the webchat CS quite helpful in the past.

I'd find it very difficult to let this go either. Maybe someone else knows how to escalate this without going to the SCC? You were held over a barrel having to pay this at the airport when you had no choice and that's infuriating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

RoYoBo wrote: »
    Have you tried webchat? I've not experienced your particular problem, but found the webchat CS quite helpful in the past.

I'd find it very difficult to let this go either. Maybe someone else knows how to escalate this without going to the SCC? You were held over a barrel having to pay this at the airport when you had no choice and that's infuriating.

Email Kenny Jacobs directly - jacobsk@ryanair.com. Might work. Try ryanairen@ryanair.com also.

the (delightful) person on the webchat directed me towards a complaints form. i have been contacting them via this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Was the extra bag registered under the 2nd boarding pass?

Drag it through security all the way to departure gate, let them tag it there.

Was the extra bag registered under the 2nd boarding pass?

this is what must have happened, they went under the lead passengers name and not the family.

so hit the complaints form 3 times, first two times i got told to p*ss off basically, 3rd time the person that picked it up went to the bother of checking it out and explained what happened. and since i only brought the two bags, refunded the 40 bucks. fair play to M. Sandor

gas though - tired 3 time got 3 different responses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

I recently travelled on a return flight to Eastern Europe and the flight was delayed 2 hours ( sitting on the plane on the runway because we missed our slot ).

Then the return flight, the plane was boarded and they then said we need to get off and wait 3.5 hours as there was a "screw on the runway" that made an issue with tyre pressure. The engineer had to be flown in as there was none in the country causing the delay.

Am I entitled to compensation as Ryanair are saying no?Sounds like an easy thing to say they found something on the runway to avoid paying out.

• Advertisement

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    I recently travelled on a return flight to Eastern Europe and the flight was delayed 2 hours ( sitting on the plane on the runway because we missed our slot ).

Then the return flight, the plane was boarded and they then said we need to get off and wait 3.5 hours as there was a "screw on the runway" that made an issue with tyre pressure. The engineer had to be flown in as there was none in the country causing the delay.

Am I entitled to compensation as Ryanair are saying no?Sounds like an easy thing to say they found something on the runway to avoid paying out.

Seems a screw on the runway damaging a tyre is an extra ordinary circumstance and you won't be covered by EU261.

https://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=f3ef03b7-4f1f-428a-bad3-cbb983849ff4

https://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=f3ef03b7-4f1f-428a-bad3-cbb983849ff4

A few reports on the net of screw damage and no compo paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

They found something in the tyre. I'd rather they fixed it personally than chance it.

They found something in the tyre. I'd rather they fixed it personally than chance it.

I don't think anybody was saying or suggesting they chance operating an aircraft with a defect , the delayed passenger simply wanted to know if they were entitled to EU261 compensation.

Car99 wrote: »
    I don't think anybody was saying or suggesting they chance operating an aircraft with a defect , the delayed passenger simply wanted to know if they were entitled to EU261 compensation.

Fair enough if it was genuine but it probably wouldn't be beyond them to suggest a screw was there (if the fault was purely there's) to avoid paying out. Just wondering is there anyway to verify it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Fair enough if it was genuine but it probably wouldn't be beyond them to suggest a screw was there (if the fault was purely there's) to avoid paying out. Just wondering is there anyway to verify it?

Contact the airport and ask was there any flight delays due to aircraft tyres been contaminated with foran object.
    If it's true I'd expect a full runway check.

My first thought was that surely the plane has a TPMS system like in any mid to high end car, so the pilot gets a warning that one tyre is soft, and can be examined on landing, pumped, etc. Here's a document that suggests that mandatory TPMS is only at the committee stage, and currently preflight inspection is visual, literally tyre kicking, and soft tyres are impossible to detect this way unless they're falling apart or there's a big screw sticking out of them. So it's easy to say "we've a soft wheel, we've to fly in Keith Duffy from Tyreland to pump it up or stick a seal in it. Sorry about the delay" .
    attachment.php?attachmentid=486153&d=1563954045

This below makes interesting reading , though, for anorak only.
    https://www.easa.europa.eu/sites/default/files/dfu/ToR%2520RMT.0586%2520Issue%25201.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Was there other flights delayed? This could be genuine or another Ryanair stroke.
    Says it all really when we even think this.

joeysoap wrote: »
    Was there other flights delayed? This could be genuine or another Ryanair stroke.

Some I believe. But can't confirm. Can I check this?

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

Wouldn’t have noticed it at the airport, and if it was wouldn’t have made any difference, but assuring she changed it. I’ve flown with Joe and Joseph. I think they’re mostly checking that your boarding the right flight, and the surnames. match Enjoy the holiday.

Same here, have flown with long and short version of name, but

they have been tightening up on this at check in and boarding recently. If your boarding pass doesn't match your ID perfectly, they say that you should change name, which costs a fortune, of course.

So, just a word of warning to everyone. Make sure name on boarding pass matches exactly to what's on passport.

• Advertisement

I'd doubt its a stroke but if you think it is take them to the small claims court and ask to see a copy of the tech log page with the defect and it's rectification. If the tyre defect was in the tech log and certified as rectified that would be case closed as no flight crew or engineer will falsify tech log entry data to save an airline some EU261 compo.

Advertisement