Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

The moronic attitude by people who fly Ryanair - "because it's cheaper" - leaves me dumbfounded .

Say you want to go to London.
    You fly to Luton with Ryanair because it is 20euro cheaper than AerLingus.
    AerLingus fly to London and there's a tube at Heathrow so you can get your 3day or week or oyster ticket.
    You then spend 20quid getting from Luton to London.
    Exactly, that is why you have to look at the overall cost of the journey. I don't think it is moronic to fly ryanair when it is cheaper for example flying to berlin whereby both aerlingus and ryanair fly to the same airport. I would never fly ryanair if it was a case that it would work out more to get transport from a far out airport.

Ryanair used to be always cheaper than aerlingus. Aerlingus seems to have cut its prices on a lot of routes in the past few months. I still dont understand why aerlingus do not get more efficient. Take for example the safety announcements at the start of the flight - why that is still not automated on aerlingus flights is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Because there's a slight chance that people will pay attention to an actual person doing the announcement rather than a voice over ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

To axer...
    Wow :eek:

Michael O'Leary eat your heart out is first thought that comes to mind. My god do you work for them, if not you clearly should.

Perhaps they said they were taking the p1$$ when it became clear that the negative reaction showed it was a step too far. Sounds more like testing the water to me.

On my friend's situation - is it not usual to check hand luggage before you are about to go on a plane - if not it should be. Even if you take the opinion that it was her own fault that her hand-luggage was too big and she was at fault for not doing this, it's a total over-reaction for her to be kicked off the plane just coz she had a moan about it, it's completely idiotic to suggest otherwise.

Also many people fly on Ryanair not because it's good value but because it's the only airline that goes to where they want to go.

Because there's a slight chance that people will pay attention to an actual person doing the announcement rather than a voice over ?
    I doubt it because the sound is much clearer listening to the ryanair announcement that it is listening to someone saying the announcement live on aerlingus where you hear wisps and it being rushed because it has been repeated so many times by the person. That definitely puts me off listening to it anyway.

luckylucky wrote: »
    Michael O'Leary eat your heart out is first thought that comes to mind. My god do you work for them, if not you clearly should.
    Why is that? Just because I dont bash Ryanair?
    Perhaps they said they were taking the p1$$ when it became clear that the negative reaction showed it was a step too far. Sounds more like testing the water to me.
    On my friend's situation - is it not usual to check hand luggage before you are about to go on a plane - if not it should be. Even if you take the opinion that it was her own fault that her hand-luggage was too big and she was at fauly for not doing this, it's a total over-reaction for her to be kicked off the plane just coz she had a moan about it, it's completely idiotic to suggest otherwise.
    You still don't get it. It is not the responsibility of Ryanair to ensure that you do not bring a bag that is too big to the gate. It was her responsibility and her fault. Do not blame someone else for that.

According to you she was not kicked off the plane for moaning about it. She was kicked off the plane because he bag was too big and she was unwilling to make it smaller (it has nothing to do with Ryanair how she does that - she should have sorted that before she went on the plane herself). There are usually bag size checkers at the checkin desks.
    Also many people fly on Ryanair not because it's good value but because it's the only airline that goes to where they want to go.
    There is generally an alternative. If people want to pay to fly with a hotel airline then the demand would be there and an airline would take on the route. Instead people choose a cheap no-frills airline and then give out that they were the same as if they took a bus (even though it is generally better than a bus (toilets and catering).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭bada_bing

i've flown with ryanair a few times over the years and now i've resolved to never fly with them again, i'd rather pay 50 euros more to go with Aer Lingus that put up with being treated like cattle by Ryanair.
    I flew from madrid to santander over the weekend with Ryanair, the flight was delayed by an hour and people had been queueing for the flight about 30 mins before departure. so they had to queue all over again and Ryanair had the cheek to delay the flight even further by doing the hand baggage check, it just added an extra 20 mins to the boarding as many people had to check in again and pay the extortionate extra 40 euros. I had measured my bag and the lenght/width was 17 cms and teh maximum was 20 but when i put my luggage in the trolley, it was a tight fit but nonetheless it fit and i got a dirty look from the ryanair staff . I could swear that the dimension of the trolley is not the same as outlined in the check in email!!!!!! I know there'll be others defending ryanair's right to carry out the luggage check but i think in light of the one hour's delay, they should've have waived that as a courtesy!!! Thanks to the delay and luggage check we finally departed 90 mins later than the scheduled time.

so long ryanair!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

axer wrote: »
    There is generally an alternative. If people want to pay to fly with a hotel airline then the demand would be there and an airline would take on the route. Instead people choose a cheap no-frills airline and then give out that they were the same as if they took a bus (even though it is generally better than a bus (toilets and catering).

i fly ryansir to france(have family there)because they are the only ones that fly into the airport in question. if aer lingus flew there i'd have them. last time i was coming home from there, they delayed the flight by 2 hrs and wouldn't tell anyone why. most people assumed they simply didn't know why and left it. i decided to press the girl at the check-in desk for info and after me refusing to take "i dunno" for an answer she "miraculously" found info as to why it was delayed. why on earth they woudln't tell people when they had the info at hand is beyond me,it wasn't even their fault the flight was delayed!!

You still don't get it. It is not the responsibility of Ryanair to ensure that you do not bring a bag that is too big to the gate. It was her responsibility and her fault. Do not blame someone else for that.

According to you she was not kicked off the plane for moaning about it. She was kicked off the plane because he bag was too big and she was unwilling to make it smaller (it has nothing to do with Ryanair how she does that - she should have sorted that before she went on the plane herself). There are usually bag size checkers at the checkin desks.

I think it's you that didn't get it... she got kicked off the plane for complaining I made that quite clear.
    luckylucky wrote:
    when she complained that this was awful service - the guy said right you're not getting on the plane

I take your point that she wasn't careful enough with her own hand baggage - nevertheless it's not acceptable, unless you live in a Stalinist state that is, to be kicked off your flight for simply making a complaint(justified or not).

In many case there is no reasonable alternative actually. If I want to get back to Ireland directly afaik I have two choices Ryanair or Aer Lingus, fortunately for me Aer Lingus fly from Lisbon which is nearer to me than Ryanair's Porto. If I lived in the North of Portugal intead of the center - then I would have no choice (beyond travelling 400 kms by road or so) to fly with Ryanair in order to go to Ireland directly.

In the case where there is an alternative that's not prohibitively more expensive then I would agree that they should not complain.

People are already beginning to stop using Ryanair - obviously those 2 friends of mine I mentioned will no longer fly with them and I know of others who have already stopped using them.

Personally as I mentioned previously I think airlines need to be more regulated, saying that I realise that there would probably be a fine line between sensible regulation and over-regulation, right now I don't think there's anywhere near enough though

I think it's you that didn't get it... she got kicked off the plane for complaining I made that quite clear.
    An English friend of mine recently was taking a Ryaniar flight from Birmingham to Faro. She was boarding the plane, when one of the staff asked her to check her handluggage for size, after failing to squash her baggage into their measuring thingy, she was asked could she take anything out. When she said how would she get back whatever she took out - the guy just shrugged his shoulders - when she complained that this was awful service - the guy said right you're not getting on the plane :eek:.
    She was refusing to take something out of the bag to make it fit in the overhead compartment. She then had to cheek to complain about being asked to take it out. I guess at this stage the employee told her to leave the plane since she was not co-operating. It was not Ryanair's problem how she gets her item back - she should have thought about that first and if she found the bag was too big then she should have put it through checked in luggage. It is clear in the terms and conditions of the flight and there is generally a second email that points it out clearer that you will be refused boarding if your bag is too big. End of story.
    I take your point that she wasn't careful enough with her own hand baggage - nevertheless it's not acceptable, unless you live in a Stalinist state that is, to be kicked off your flight for simply making a complaint(justified or not).
    What are the point of rules if they are not to be followed? Do people think they are just guidelines? If nobody followed the rules - do you think things would run smoothly?

She was kicked off for not taking something out of her bag to make it fit - not for the complaint. Ryanair are on a tight schedule and dont have time to argue with customers when it has already been agreed via the terms and conditions.
    In many case there is no reasonable alternative actually. If I want to get back to Ireland directly afaik I have two choices Ryanair or Aer Lingus, fortunately for me Aer Lingus fly from Lisbon which is nearer to me than Ryanair's Porto.
    What did people do 10 - 15 years ago when there were less flights? The reason there are more destinations now is due to the likes of Ryanair. Many other airlines may not be able to afford to take on routes because of costs which Ryanair have kept to a minimum.
    People are already beginning to stop using Ryanair - obviously those 2 friends of mine I mentioned will no longer fly with them and I know of others who have already stopped using them.
    Maybe Ryanair will be better off without those people since in the example you gave above, the woman was only delaying ryanair by arguing and complaining.
    Personally as I mentioned previously I think airlines need to be more regulated, sayign that I realise that there would probably be a fine line between sensible regulation and over-regulation, right now I don't think there's anywhere near enough though
    I think passengers need to realise that no-frills airlines have to have rules and live strictly by them in order to work as efficiently as possible. So check that you are in accordance with the rules and there will be no problem. It seems most people bring the problems upon themselves.

Delays will always happen whatever the airline. Nearly often it is out of the control of the airline since it does not serve them well to delay flights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

ryanair.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

it would make sense to be refused boarding with baggage which is outside the limits of the rules though.

So then Ryanair are cheap and uncheerful - their customer service sucks and you got no right to complain about it Axer styleee. Fly with them if you fully understand this and don't f'kin complain about it - coz your just another piece of meat and you're not a valued customer.

Hmmm... Am I glad I don't depend on Ryanair. :) (Yeah Yeah I know they hardly depend on me)

their customer service was fine there. allowing her to board with an oversized bag would have caused a delay for EVERY OTHER CUSTOMER on the flight. She's nothing special and exempt from the rules. complaining and moaning about it, when she knows she's in the wrong is holding up everyone else who just wants to get on their flight and go home/wherever.
    I'll make this clear; she had a bag that exceeded the rules, SHE HAD NOTHING TO COMPLAIN ABOUT. time saved.

you got no right to complain about it Axer styleee.
    Of course you have a right to complain if they break the terms & conditions i.e. the contract, they have with you. You dont have the right to complain when you mess up yourself since it is your fault. Pretty simple I would think.
    Fly with them if you fully understand this and don't f'kin complain about it - coz your just another piece of meat and you're not a valued customer.
    Fly with them if you are willing to accept the terms & conditions of travel. If you do not agree with a term then do not make a contract with them. Is it that hard to understand?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

GreeBo wrote: »
    Problem is that Ryanair rarely fly from A to B, its usually A to B*.
    B* being some 30 miles outside of B.

Whenever I have checked recently, Aerlingus has been the same if not cheaper, so I go AerLingus now.

When I first heard that Ryanair were going to stop taking the piss I was happy...then I heard they were charging for it instead :)

I understand that, i just don't understand the people who can't understand that all you should expect with ryanair is a seat on the plane

Understand? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

An English friend of mine recently was taking a Ryaniar flight from Birmingham to Faro. She was boarding the plane, when one of the staff asked her to check her handluggage for size, after failing to squash her baggage into their measuring thingy, she was asked could she take anything out. When she said how would she get back whatever she took out - the guy just shrugged his shoulders - when she complained that this was awful service - the guy said right you're not getting on the plane :eek:.

When she got back to the Ryanair desk - the guy there said I don't want to hear about your complaint. This is just a week after her husband's flight from Birmingham was cancelled in the last minute coz of the weather - seemingly all the other flights were going ok though :confused:. He had to make his own way to Stansted, they wouldn't pay for hotels or for transport costs. Needless to say they are livid and are not going to fly with Ryanair again.

On the toilet thing, my wife actually said to me a couple of months ago - half in jest and half serious that next thing you'll know is that Ryanair will start charging you for using the toilet. Looks like she might have been more right than I thought.

Anyway I think whether this toilet charging story is a pisstake or not - it's time that the EU starts regulating the airline industry a whole lot more as it's getting out of hand. Passengers are treated really badly these days and it semes to be getting worse and worse - it's time to reverse this trend imo. These days it's easier to get around to seeing different parts of Europe but unfortunately some sh1t airlines like Ryanair have got routes that passengers like, so if you take the route of starting to avoid certain airlines - then you can be severely limited. For Irish passengers in particular were you to start boycotting (something I wouldn't blame anyone for doing) Ryanair it would really curtail where you could go to easily.

Personally I'd prefer to pay a little bit more if it ensured some basic comfort and a reasonable service. Imo Seat length and width should be big enough to ensure that most people are not going to feel squashed. I mean I'm 5'10" and I feel squashed on a lot of these budget flights - god help those over 6 foot.

Ryanair is one of the most successful Irish businesses and normally that would make me proud of it but instead it makes me cringe :mad:

So her hand luggage was too big and its ryanairs fault?
    Let them charge people to go for a piss, i say charge for everything. Then i can get even cheaper flights, i'll gladly not take a piss while on the plane if it saves me a few squid

Of course you have a right to complain if they break the terms & conditions i.e. the contract, they have with you. You dont have the right to complain when you mess up yourself since it is your fault. Pretty simple I would think.

Fly with them if you are willing to accept the terms & conditions of travel. If you do not agree with a term then do not make a contract with them. Is it that hard to understand?

Terms and Conditions - how many people actually read these (Yeah before you go there - I know it's not Ryanair's fault :rolleyes:)

Going around in circles here. I'm sure we can just go on and on with more and more wisecracks, putdowns etc etc.

You've taken my friend's story in one light and see it as her fault - that's your perogative. I see it in a different light, that's mine. The story is as is and people who see it here will no doubt make up their own minds on it.

I'm done arguing about this because
    1. I'm not a politician so I don't get a buzz out of endless debate.
    2. We are opposite sides to this. I was at least prepared to concede that she should have been more aware of the size of her hand luggage. You've clearly taken your stance and that's it. The posters so far seem to be on your side Axer, so maybe I'm wrong, but also maybe that's why the Irish consumer gets badly treated and ripped off in general, coz they are prepared to accept it much easier than in other countries.

Terms and Conditions - how many people actually read this (Yeah before you go there - I knwo it's not Ryanair's fault :rolleyes:)
    If you know it is not ryanair's fault that some people do not read the terms of the ticket then why even bring this up now? Ignorance is not an excuse.
    Going around in circles here. I'm sure we can just go on and on with more and more wisecracks, putdowns etc etc.
    There are no wisecracks and putdowns. I am telling you as it is and you do not like it.
    You've taken my friend's story in one light and see it as her fault - that's your perogative. I see it in a different light, that's mine. The story is as is and people who see it here will no doubt make up their own minds on it.
    How could it not be her fault? She broke the terms of the ticket which says that boarding can be refused if carry on baggage is too big or heavy. Why should ryanair make an exception for her?
    I'm done arguing about this because
    1. I'm not a politician so I don't get a buzz out of endless debate.
    2. We are opposite sides to this. I was at least prepared to concede that she should have been more aware of the size of her hand luggage. You've clearly taken your stance and that's it.
    You are done arguing with this because you are clearly wrong in this matter.

You are done arguing with this because you are clearly wrong in this matter.

Perhaps the following quote I read a few weeks ago is apt in this matter.

"Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."

I simply can't compete there I'm afraid.

Perhaps the following quote I read a few weeks ago is apt in this matter.

"Never argue with an idiot,you'll always lose, they will just bring you down to their level, and they are far more experienced than you at it"

I simply can't compete there I'm afraid.
    There is no need for personal insults.

• Advertisement

luckylucky, that is pathetic. you're example of rubbish customer service was shown to be wrong, and you result to personal insults. I hope you have a nice little smile to yourself about it, because everyone else is laughing at you. post reported.

There is no need for personal insults.

There is no need to be condescending either. I also did not call you an idiot directly, it's a common online quote - just found that the discussion was getting idiotic and your condescending comments were unneccessary and unhelpful.

to Zuroph found a bandwagon to jump on I see.

Also I noticed you changed your post back from calling me luckylady to luckylucky, afraid that that wouldn't go down well with the mods after you decided to report me. Yeah I could act the the same and report you for that no doubt. Meh, I never was a snitch and not going to start now.

Just to reiterate Ryanair's treatment of my friend was disgusting imo. Axer and co think otherwise, they are entitled to their opinion as I am to mine. Silly arguing back and forth was getting nowhere. Still follow up with condescending remarks when I was willing to say let's agree to disagree and what do you expect back from me.. Have a nice day :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

I was flying to Shannon from East Midlands once. I was carrying one piece of hand luggage - a SkyHD box, carried in a carrier bag. The item was within the weight and dimension limits prescribed by Ryanair.

At the gate in East Mids, the Ryanair staff (or the Servisair staff, working on behalf of Ryanair, to be correct), looked at the bag, then *literally* snatched it out of my hand and showed it to her colleague. "This'll have to be checked in, won't it", she said. She didn't even have the courtesy to look at me.

I protested, politely, explaining that the item is within the limits, and if they had one of those "cages" around they were welcome to check. The agent replied, "it's being checked in and if you argue with me again I'll off-load you".

The bag was then handed to a member of cabin crew, to give to the ground staff, to put in the hold. However, when we got to the plane and out of sight of that Servisair girl, the cabin crew girl asked me, "would you prefer to just carry it on, rather than have it put in the hold?" It told her I would, please, and thanked her.

So my "beef", as it were, was with Servisair, and not Ryanair. Though I must point out that the Servisair girl made it explicitly clear to me that she "worked for Ryanair".

benifa wrote: »
    I was flying to Shannon from East Midlands once. I was carrying one piece of hand luggage - a SkyHD box, carried in a carrier bag. The item was within the weight and dimension limits prescribed by Ryanair.

At the gate in East Mids, the Ryanair staff (or the Servisair staff, working on behalf of Ryanair, to be correct), looked at the bag, then *literally* snatched it out of my hand and showed it to her colleague. "This'll have to be checked in, won't it", she said. She didn't even have the courtesy to look at me.

I protested, politely, explaining that the item is within the limits, and if they had one of those "cages" around they were welcome to check. The agent replied, "it's being checked in and if you argue with me again I'll off-load you".

The bag was then handed to a member of cabin crew, to give to the ground staff, to put in the hold. However, when we got to the plane and out of sight of that Servisair girl, the cabin crew girl asked me, "would you prefer to just carry it on, rather than have it put in the hold?" It told her I would, please, and thanked her.

So my "beef", as it were, was with Servisair, and not Ryanair. Though I must point out that the Servisair girl made it explicitly clear to me that she "worked for Ryanair".
    Servisair are contracted by Ryanair. They dont work directly for them. They are the ones that make the money from excess weight baggage charges etc. There was a memo that was leaked that stated that employees were to be very strict about luggage weights etc to try and up their revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Servisair are contracted by Ryanair. They dont work directly for them.
    I know. A friend of mine is a Servisair manager at Birmingham airport.
    They are the ones that make the money from excess weight baggage charges etc.
    At least 40%, iirc, is what Servisair take from the Ryanair charges they make.
    There was a memo that was leaked that stated that employees were to be very strict about luggage weights etc to try and up their revenue.
    Funnily enough, in my case, she wasn't going to charge me for putting my item in the hold. To this day, her motives are a mystery to me.

There is no need to be condescending either. I also did not call you an idiot directly, it's a common online quote - just found that the discussion was getting idiotic and your condescending comments were unneccessary and unhelpful.
    Excuse me, you are now admitting you were calling me an idiot - just not directly. I have not insulted you in this manner.

I have a right to challenge the points made in your posts which is what I did. I did so fairly and even though you acknowledged your friend was wrong you still think Ryanair were wrong to stop her boarding the flight. That is baffling.
    Just to reiterate Ryanair's treatment of my friend was disgusting imo. Axer and co think otherwise, they are entitled to their opinion as I am to mine. Silly arguing back and forth was getting nowhere. Still follow up with condescending remarks when I was willing to say let's agree to disagree and what do you expect back from me.. Have a nice day :rolleyes:
    Im not bothered whether you agree to disagree. You were making points that I disagree with. Points which I have shown you were incorrect. It is ironic that your argument was completely wrong but yet you call me the idiot.

At least 40%, iirc, is what Servisair take from the Ryanair charges they make.
    Thought it would be more tbh.
    Funnily enough, in my case, she wasn't going to charge me for putting my item in the hold. To this day, her motives are a mystery to me.
    Strange logic alright since obviously the item had been screened by security and deemed ok.

It is ironic that your argument was completely wrong but yet you call me the idiot.

My argument was not wrong at all - just because your perception that it is wrong doesn't make it so - you can make cases for just about anything at the end of the day. From my perception it is wrong to treat your customers shabbily. Imo there is a helluva difference between airline travel and travelling by bus or train. You wait around in uncomfortable airports for hours, it's a right hassle at times, then you get to the plane and find there is a problem with your hand-luggage.

I think a lot of people would understand and relate to my friend's frustration, regardless of Ryanair's Terms and Conditions, there is no way she should have been stopped from boarding for simply uttering a complaint.

Other than I think Ryanair are a load of p1$$ :D, that is the hub of my argument, you disagree fair enough, I never said you were wrong to disagree, when I saw the way this was going and that there was little or no middle ground. I stated the pointlessness of this arguing, you took it as some sort of concession when it was never meant as such.. furthermore you got all high and mighty but how you are right, and you took on an even more condescending tone. FWIW I don't think you are an idiot and are a practiced debater. I think you very likely are argumentative for the sake of being argumentative and you probably enjoy it for the pure sake of it.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

@luckylucky. I want to leave the he-said-she-said and name calling out of this. Do you not accept that your friend was in the wrong at all, for having a bag too big? I get that the staff should not be as rude as you describe, but some are. Out of all that you said, I did not get the impression that the refusal to allow her to board was essentially because of her complaint but because the bag was too big and there was nothing she could do to fix that. Have I misunderstood you? Had the bag issue been resolved and then she was refused for being argumentative or something?

• Advertisement

for the record, i typed lucky lady as a mistake as I was also reading a thread with a poster called lobsterlady, and the names got mixed up :)

Advertisement