Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭paddy19

"You must consider what is best in your situation. Remember that if you hold a voucher, you are an unsecured creditor, as such, you are unlikely to get anything back in the event of a liquidation. I applied for a 100% refund.

Is a short term gain more valuable than outraged customers?"

I'm voting for outraged customers:

The big restriction is:

"The voucher offer is available for guests with bookings made on aerlingus.com and due to travel on flights between 21 March and 31 May and on cancelled flights."

This marked contrast to the gift voucher:

"Additionally, gift vouchers are transferrable and this can also be done free of charge using the Change Name function in Manage my Voucher on aerlingusvouchers.com"

Why does Aer Lingus think a gift voucher should have better conditions than a voucher for a flight that was cancelled?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I'm due to fly with Ryanair in May. It's to Manchester and these flights are still operating. But it looks like they're only flying Fri-Mon. I'm thinking of changing my flights (just had a look and it'd only cost less than €3) for the next Tues-Thurs that is available, which is still early May. If they then cancel these, would I be entitled to a full refund?

Wheety wrote: »
    I'm due to fly with Ryanair in May. It's to Manchester and these flights are still operating. But it looks like they're only flying Fri-Mon. I'm thinking of changing my flights (just had a look and it'd only cost less than €3) for the next Tues-Thurs that is available, which is still early May. If they then cancel these, would I be entitled to a full refund?

Sure you are. You have a valid ticket, they don't fly, you are entitled to a refund.

As long as Shane Ross doesn't decide you are chosen to subsidise the airline.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 MKelly1122

Don’t be fobbed off by a voucher. They must refund you under EU law if they cancel the flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭NickSantigo

Just an FYI for Ryanair customers waiting for refunds
    I requested a cash refund with Ryanair. After waiting almost a month I got an email Saturday morning with details of my voucher for the exact value of the flights. I had to contact them directly again to request a cash refund. While the refund is in the system I won't receive the cash into my account until the Covid-19 crisis has abated.

• Advertisement

I requested a cash refund with Ryanair. After waiting almost a month I got an email Saturday morning with details of my voucher for the exact value of the flights. I had to contact them directly again to request a cash refund. While the refund is in the system I won't receive the cash into my account until the Covid-19 crisis has abated.

Thanks for that info.

I'm curious if Ryanair are sending different vouchers to different people!

Can you paste the conditions of the voucher you received?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Does anybody know what the correct channel for reporting this kind of behavior to the authorities is?

I requested a refund, got emails stating such, and instead was given a voucher. It has been 4 weeks now without a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Does anybody know what the correct channel for reporting this kind of behavior to the authorities is?

I requested a refund, got emails stating such, and instead was given a voucher. It has been 4 weeks now without a refund.

Ryanair have said they're not refunding anyone until after this pandemic, the authorities know this yet haven't acted.

You'll be waiting alot longer than 4 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,116 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

After 6 weeks you can go to the regulator. That's what I'll be doing tomorrow

After 6 weeks you can go to the regulator. That's what I'll be doing tomorrow

• Advertisement

After 6 weeks you can go to the regulator. That's what I'll be doing tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I got vouchers as well a week after the said I'd be refunded.
    So I opened a claim with my credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Gorteen

Caranica wrote: »
    After 6 weeks you can go to the regulator. That's what I'll be doing tomorrow.

Me too!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

How long are the vouchers valid for?

bear1 wrote: »
    I got vouchers as well a week after the said I'd be refunded.
    So I opened a claim with my credit card.

It's been reported that VISA have put a hold on all Ryanair refunds on the basis that they are offering a voucher.

Your banker maybe kinder but I wouldn't bet on it.

A kind banker as a very rare animal.

Best bet is small claims court for €25 and a guaranteed 15 calendar day response time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Gael23 wrote: »
    How long are the vouchers valid for?

12 months.

i got one by email an hour ago, value just under €50, happy to accept, cos it will definitely be used, but does anyone know the actual T&C's of these? If the booking was in my name, does any new booking have to be in my name? Do I have to use the full value of the voucher in one go? If i don't, does the remaining value remain there for later use?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭joeysoap

I got my voucher today. I am over 70. I don’t want it. It’s against Eu rules anyway and as far as I know Ireland is still a member. Barstewards.

Thinking best way to go is small claims court. Any advice?

joeysoap wrote: »
    I got my voucher today. I am over 70. I don’t want it. It’s against Eu rules anyway and as far as I know Ireland is still a member. Barstewards.

Loads in the travel forum

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Were someone to take a small claims action or to arrange a credit card chargeback, could Ryanair refuse to take any future bookings from them? Is this likely to happen?

While I'd like to do what I can to ensure I get my money back for cancelled flights, realistically, I'd end up costing myself a lot more in the long run were I blocked from flying Ryanair.

Blisterman wrote: »
    Were someone to take a small claims action or to arrange a credit card chargeback, could Ryanair refuse to take any future bookings from them? Is this likely to happen?

While I'd like to do what I can to ensure I get my money back for cancelled flights, realistically, I'd end up costing myself a lot more in the long run were I blocked from flying Ryanair.

Technically Ryanair as a private company can refuse to provide a service to a consumer for any reason provided that they are not discriminating based on race,sex etc.

But I don't even Ryanair would bother, there is no money in it and the potential bad publicity has no upside.

• Advertisement

Caranica wrote: »
    Loads in the travel forum

I put up a short guide to the small claims process.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058071799

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

joeysoap wrote: »

i opened up an application with the small claims court yesterday and it's pending, you'll get your money back a whole lot quicker this way guaranteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I applied for my refund on 20 March. Got the usual "there are delays" correspondence and got my voucher last night.

Generally don't have an issue with that as it would be used but there's an expiry on it and that doesn't sit well with me.

Tried to contact them by replying and the mail bounced back.

used their chatbot to speak to an agent and was waiting from 7am to 1pm and still nothing.

Called Mastercard and they've advised me to show one month of attempting contact to resolve the matter and after which, they'll commence the Chargeback process. I will try every second day now and send it to Mastercard and have them return my money.

Going through the small claims court is just costing you money. Do the donkey work and let the bank look after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I applied for a refund on 15/03/2020 and havent received anything from them yet.

Tried their chat fuction earlier on and after 4 hours waiting I gave up.

How do you prove to credit card company you have been trying to resolve the matter ?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭ciara1052

How did you go about contacting them directly? Id rather wait for a refund personally but I've tried the chat bot for two days with no reply and emailed a generic address that basically redirects you to reapply for a refund. They've emailed me the voucher code but I just want to decline it and make sure I'm still in line for a refund (if we can ever get them....)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

Apologies if this has been answered before. I have RA flights booked to Montenegro for 28th May, the airports are closed in Monetenegro and are unlikely to open next month. Can I apply for a refund/voucher now or do I have to wait until I get a flight cancellation email.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

jos28 wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been answered before. I have RA flights booked to Montenegro for 28th May, the airports are closed in Monetenegro and are unlikely to open next month. Can I apply for a refund/voucher now or do I have to wait until I get a flight cancellation email.

Afaik you have to wait until you get a flight cancellation email/text.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

Cheers, I thought that might be the case

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

yabadabado wrote: »
    I applied for a refund on 15/03/2020 and havent received anything from them yet.

Tried their chat fuction earlier on and after 4 hours waiting I gave up.

How do you prove to credit card company you have been trying to resolve the matter ?

I'll be sending them dated print screens of me being ignored by their "chat" service.

Its not as if that link has a number or email address on it for me to use

• Advertisement

jos28 wrote: »

Be careful, if you request a refund it could be interpreted that you are channelling your reservation and requesting only the government taxes back.

You need to wait until either Ryanair officially cancels or after the flight date.

In fairness to Ryanair they will show it cancelled about two weeks before the flight date.

Advertisement