Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭paddy19

ciara1052 wrote: »
    How did you go about contacting them directly? Id rather wait for a refund personally but I've tried the chat bot for two days with no reply and emailed a generic address that basically redirects you to reapply for a refund.

They've emailed me the voucher code but I just want to decline it and make sure I'm still in line for a refund (if we can ever get them....)

You can safely ignore the voucher.

Just request the refund wait 10 days then
    Small claims for €25 and speed
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058071799

or CAR for free and slow...

https://secure.aviationreg.ie/eseries/uiid480261345/car450.xsp;jsessionid=86BABC6C7D85BB38FFE4A67D8D3C6682.nod

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wanderer19

A few years ago flying to Birmingham my husband couldn't find hiss passport. We had a copy of it but Ryanair would not accept that or my husband's driving licence as ID.
    Aer Lingus did accept the driving licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wanderer19

A few years ago flying to Birmingham my husband couldn't find hiss passport. We had a copy of it but Ryanair would not accept that or my husband's driving licence as ID.

Ryainair will do anything to get you to book and not fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭jules5417

Am I missing something here. My flight to spain was cancelled but I know I will fly with Ra again so I will use the vouchers at some stage. So unless people are never going to fly with RA again why would they not accept the vouchers instead of refund ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Wanderer19 wrote: »

Ryainair will do anything to get you to book and not fly.

No , they want you to fly to try to make money off you in the air. They also state what documents you need I’d advance. Blaming your husbands incompetence on Ryanair isn’t fair.

• Advertisement

Wanderer19 wrote: »

Ryanair will do anything to get you to book and not fly.

I'm massively critical of Ryanairs attempt to impose crappy vouchers on passengers instead of cash refunds in breach of the law, it's the pits.

They have a very simple model, keep it as simple as possible. They try not to have supervisors and managers of managers. They try to educate passengers into the most efficient way of managing flights. Sure its frustrating but they do provide some of the cheapest flights around. Of course they are doing this to maximise profits.

If you start bending rules you need managers to approve the exceptions.
    Then exceptions breed more exceptions and before you know where you are it's a mess.

So Ryanair try to have no exceptions, then you don't need any exception managers.

jules5417 wrote: »
    Am I missing something here. My flight to spain was cancelled but I know I will fly with Ra again so I will use the vouchers at some stage. So unless people are never going to fly with RA again why would they not accept the vouchers instead of refund ?

You will have 12 months to book your flight using your voucher from the date of issue. Although the voucher has a one year expiry, you can travel after the expiry date as long as the flight is booked. In some cases you can book flights for the following year (*only flights available at the time of booking).

Each group booking will receive one voucher on behalf of all customers (including infants). The voucher will be in the customer's name who made the original booking.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Seasoft

paddy19 wrote: »
    You will have 12 months to book your flight using your voucher from the date of issue. Although the voucher has a one year expiry, you can travel after the expiry date as long as the flight is booked. In some cases you can book flights for the following year (*only flights available at the time of booking).

Each group booking will receive one voucher on behalf of all customers (including infants). The voucher will be in the customer's name who made the original booking.

So if tickets were bought between friends, can the voucher be used by either person separately? Or must the named purchaser always be involved in using it?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

People were offered refunds or vouchers and now Ryanair are ignoring the request for refunds and giving people vouchers. Making it very difficult to get the refund as agreed.

If Ryanair had offered me vouchers with a decent expiry date to use as I liked from the outset I'd have taken them.

Now they are just acting the maggot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,217 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The vouchers are only valid for this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭ciara1052

You can safely ignore the voucher.

Just request the refund wait 10 days then
    Small claims for €25 and speed
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058071799

or CAR for free and slow...

https://secure.aviationreg.ie/eseries/uiid480261345/car450.xsp;jsessionid=86BABC6C7D85BB38FFE4A67D8D3C6682.nod

I had requested the refund about a month ago (or whenever they cancelled my flights). I can't seem to request the refund again (it says error when I enter the flight code etc). I take it I do actually need to request the refund again though after being emailed about the voucher?

Thanks for the reply!

Seasoft wrote: »
    So if tickets were bought between friends, can the voucher be used by either person separately? Or must the named purchaser always be involved in using it?

"Each group booking will receive one voucher on behalf of all customers (including infants). The voucher will be in the customer's name who made the original booking.

You can pay for multiple travel companions as our voucher offers great travel flexibility."

https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/useful-info/refund-voucher

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I lost my job (non Covid related redundancy) and am still waiting for my JSB claim to be processed so I would very much like the cash. Were circumstances different and I could opt for a voucher then I might. But right now Ryanair have illegally retained my money and I want it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

The at some stage is likely a problem, it will be a long time before travel by plane is really viable probably next year before it’s really moving again and if it’s longer then your voucher will become worthless but even if you do go to use it your flight will very likely be more expensive so you won’t be swapping a flight to Spain for a flight to Spain you’ll be stuck using a specific airline as you won’t want to waste your voucher so no shopping about. The year thing is just too tight for a lot of people. Aer Lingus are offering an extra 10% and 5 years to use it, that’s a good offer and lots of people will take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

salmocab wrote: »
    The at some stage is likely a problem, it will be a long time before travel by plane is really viable probably next year before it’s really moving again and if it’s longer then your voucher will become worthless but even if you do go to use it your flight will very likely be more expensive so you won’t be swapping a flight to Spain for a flight to Spain you’ll be stuck using a specific airline as you won’t want to waste your voucher so no shopping about. The year thing is just too tight for a lot of people. Aer Lingus are offering an extra 10% and 5 years to use it, that’s a good offer and lots of people will take it.

Exactly. I'm pushing various avenues for my money back off Ryanair but I accepted the Aer Lingus voucher without hesitation. If Ryanair had offered the same I'd have taken theirs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Gorteen

I requested a refund about a month ago and was advised it was being processed. Yesterday I got am email to say it was voucher not refund. I've used their website complaints option to lodge a formal complaint and followed the process as recommended by the European Consumer Centre Ireland (ECC Ireland) / EC Regulation 261 / 2004 (see below)

I've also advised them I will seek advice on proceeding through Small Claims Court.

...Airlines are required to refund passengers within 7 days of the flight cancellation.

If you do not receive a refund within this timescale, you should do the following:
    •After 7 days, submit a complaint to the airline.
    •After 6 weeks, if you do not receive a satisfactory response to your complaint, escalate it to a National Enforcement Body that deals with flight rights
    ◦For Ireland, the National Enforcement Body is the Commission for Aviation Regulation (CAR), which deals with flight rights on its dedicated website here.

.G. wrote: »
    Exactly. I'm pushing various avenues for my money back off Ryanair but I accepted the Aer Lingus voucher without hesitation. If Ryanair had offered the same I'd have taken theirs too.

I’ve 1000 euro with Ryanair and I’m not confident I’ll use that up over the next year and a bit. I’ve a kid starting school this year so holidays will be have to be at specific times for the first time. Now myself and the wife may get a city break at some stage but that wouldn’t use up a grand. If I had 5 years to use it up I’d be happy enough as I know that if nothing else there’d be a few trips to see sports if nothing else but even those are on the long finger.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭Patser

As G says, this is a very risky decision by Ryanair for short term gain. Aer Lingus' offer of 5 year voucher with a bonus - means they got a lot of people happy to take them up on the offer and a guaranteed customer base for next 5 years, which given current uncertainty and the need to reestablish demand in the future is great.

Ryanair's approach of refund on the way, refund on the way, only joking here's a voucher for 12 months (btw nothing happening for next 4 at least unless you've an emergency) or else we may, possibly refund you sometime in the future. Had pee'd a lot off (myself included), made me all the more determined to get money back and will make me a lot more cautious in the future to book with them. So short term gain of keeping the money, probable long term pain of slower return of passengers

"•After 7 days, submit a complaint to the airline.
    •After 6 weeks, if you do not receive a satisfactory response to your complaint, escalate it to a National Enforcement Body that deals with flight rights"

I have no time for waiting for 6 weeks!
    This where the EU regulation requires a refund within 7 days.
    Ryanair have made it clear that they don't intend to pay a cash refund until Covid has abated in MOLs view.

This 6 week requirement is crazy but has some tiny justification if it is a complex issue which requires airline to investigate.

Here Ryanair have made there position clear on their website
    so go straight to CAR or the SCC.

Real danger that Heather Humphreys will bring in some half assed bill which will confuse everybody
    and you will be left with a voucher loan to Ryanair with crappy conditions.

"•After 7 days, submit a complaint to the airline.
    •After 6 weeks, if you do not receive a satisfactory response to your complaint, escalate it to a National Enforcement Body that deals with flight rights"

I have no time for waiting for 6 weeks!
    This where the EU regulation requires a refund within 7 days.
    Ryanair have made it clear that they don't intend to pay a cash refund until Covid has abated in MOLs view.

This 6 week requirement is crazy but has some tiny justification if it is a complex issue which requires airline to investigate.

Here Ryanair have made there position clear on their website
    so go straight to CAR or the SCC.

Real danger that Heather Humphreys will bring in some half assed bill which will confuse everybody
    and you will be left with a voucher loan to Ryanair with crappy conditions.

What’s CAR??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Gorteen

What’s CAR??

Commission for Aviation Regulation

https://www.aviationreg.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Rock Steady Edy

The reason that Aer Lingus are probably issuing 5 year vouchers is because its consistent with what retailers now have to offer on the purchase of gift vouchers, up from the 1 year that many offered before.

The reason that Aer Lingus are probably issuing 5 year vouchers is because its consistent with what retailers now have to offer on the purchase of gift vouchers, up from the 1 year that many offered before.

Yeah probably so but it also makes them much more attractive to punters. Ryanair are setting up their scheme in such a way that a huge amount of the vouchers will not be used so they can keep the money and amazingly it looks like FG who in my opinion have done a pretty good job otherwise on this whole pandemic barring a few mistakes that given the scale and that it’s unprecedented in our times I could forgive, have decided to help a big business shaft the customers.

Yeah probably so but it also makes them much more attractive to punters. Ryanair are setting up their scheme in such a way that a huge amount of the vouchers will not be used so they can keep the money and amazingly it looks like FG who in my opinion have done a pretty good job otherwise on this whole pandemic barring a few mistakes that given the scale and that it’s unprecedented in our times I could forgive, have decided to help a big business shaft the customers.

If you're going to go political, blame the right person. The Minister trying to change the legislation is Shane Ross, a former independent TD who lost his seat in February but remains a Minister until a new government is formed.

Caranica wrote: »
    If you're going to go political, blame the right person. The Minister trying to change the legislation is Shane Ross, a former independent TD who lost his seat in February but remains a Minister until a new government is formed.

Yes but HH is the business minister who was on the radio suggesting that they are looking into vouchers. I have already emailed lord Ross about it.

Yes but HH is the business minister who was on the radio suggesting that they are looking into vouchers. I have already emailed lord Ross about it.

She was merely the mouthpiece. Minister Ross is being kept away from the media for obvious reasons. It's quite common for Ministers to be on media duty and answer questions on matters related to other Departments, and will have been briefed on the matter

She was merely the mouthpiece. Minister Ross is being kept away from the media for obvious reasons. It's quite common for Ministers to be on media duty and answer questions on matters related to other Departments, and will have been briefed on the matter

In fairness it very much relates to her department

Take a listen to Pat Kenny..

https://www.newstalk.com/shows/pat-kenny-show-234857

Right at the very end:

"but whether it's a cash refund or through vouchers I'm looking at that at the minute"

If she didn't want to own she could have easily said this is not my area....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

Poor marketing by Ryanair.
    Offer a voucher with a 20% bonus instead of this illegal move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Avant won’t give me a cashback until Ryanair are back to ‘normal’ and won’t refund me. Said details of my claim are now on record and just contact them then. Kicking the cab down the road but she did say I would get it then. Don’t really believe her though. Bit like Ryanair.

Advertisement