Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

Oryx wrote: »
    @luckylucky. I want to leave the he-said-she-said and name calling out of this. Do you not accept that your friend was in the wrong at all, for having a bag too big? I get that the staff should not be as rude as you describe, but some are. Out of all that you said, I did not get the impression that the refusal to allow her to board was essentially because of her complaint but because the bag was too big and there was nothing she could do to fix that. Have I misunderstood you? Had the bag issue been resolved and then she was refused for being argumentative or something?

Well firstly thanks for bringing a more civil tone to this thread.

Anyway yes I did accept it, I thought that was fairly clear, if not I'm saying it now again. As an aside, lately when I've flown, they quite often take a look at your hand luggage at the check-in desk. I think it would be best to have this sorted out, before it ever gets to boarding the plane. Anyway I guess passengers should make themselves more aware of this, and that was something which my friend could be rightly criticised for (assuming she hadn't already checked her bag and it past a previous test).

My impression from the story I got from my friend's husband that she was stopped simply because she dared to complain. I'm sorry if I haven't made this clear enough. I mean I'm sure she would have agreed, grumpily, no doubt to take something out of her bag if it meant she could get her flight. I'll have to speak with her directly to get the finer details. My friend is a mild-mannered middle-aged woman btw so for her to be really livid would normally take a lot.

I really don't think it's the right way to treat people, even if treating you like crap is inherent in the Terms and Conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I know Ryanair is a contentious topic but if posters cannot be civil to each other, then I will consider awarding some infractions.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I have noticed then being alot more stringent in relation to carry on, I've started measuring & weighing my carry on now before I leave home to be safe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

I have noticed then being alot more stringent in relation to carry on, I've started measuring & weighing my carry on now before I leave home to be safe

According to my friend who works for Servisair in BHX, Ryanair are telling them all to be absolutely strict with hand baggage at present. No more than 1 item, correct weight and dimensions. No exceptions.

He was telling me that his staff feel almost embarrassed when it comes to Ryanair flights. They have to walk up and down the length of the queue of passengers, like army officers and soldiers, ensuring that every single passenger is following procedure.

Anyone with incorrect cabin baggage gets offloaded, no exceptions, no option to check-in the excess.

Note that Ryanair say on their website:
    Ryanair passengers who do not comply and present with more than one piece of hand luggage will be charged €/£30 at the departure gate and have their bag placed in the aircraft’s hold.

At Birmingham airport though, there is no facility for Servisair to charge the £30 fee, so offloading is the only option. Ryanair know this, yet they continue to leave this message on their website, knowing full well that, at Birmingham airport at least, their customers WILL NOT be charged £30 at the gate for non-compliance, they will be OFFLOADED.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

benifa wrote: »
    At the gate in East Mids, the Ryanair staff (or the Servisair staff, working on behalf of Ryanair, to be correct), looked at the bag, then *literally* snatched it out of my hand and showed it to her colleague. "This'll have to be checked in, won't it", she said. She didn't even have the courtesy to look at me..

Sure there is no facility to check hold luggage once you pass security so I don't know what she was talking about? They don't have the tag printers, nor do they have an x-ray machine at gates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

eth0_ wrote: »
    ..... nor do they have an x-ray machine at gates.
    your bag has already been x-rayed.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Sure there is no facility to check hold luggage once you pass security so I don't know what she was talking about? They don't have the tag printers, nor do they have an x-ray machine at gates.
    On some flights I know larger carry-on baggage and things like buggies are taken and put somewhere* for the duration of the flight. They are returned to the owners at the steps as you disembark. So perhaps thats what RA do?

*No idea where. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Oryx wrote: »
    *No idea where. :)
    Same location as checked in luggage iirc (I've had it both handed back to me at the stairs and been told it will come in with the checked in luggage).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

your bag has already been x-rayed.

There are many items you are permitted to have in your hand luggage that you may not put in the hold of an aircraft.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

There are many items you are permitted to have in your hand luggage that you may not put in the hold of an aircraft.
    Care to mention a few? Thinking of the 100 ml limit for gas etc. I can't think of anything you would be allowed in hand luggage which is not allowed in the hold (as I recall the hand luggage restrictions are even worse then the hold once).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Why would there be a problem with 100 ml limit for gas going into the hold? The hold is pressurised as much as the cabin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

luckylucky wrote:

I think a lot of people would understand and relate to my friend's frustration, regardless of Ryanair's Terms and Conditions, there is no way she should have been stopped from boarding for simply uttering a complaint.

I and everyone else on the plane spent nearly 20 minutes sitting waiting to take off while two morons wandered up and down a full flight trying to fit their almost suitcase size hand luggage into the overhead compartment, moaning that there was nowhere to fit their bag. One guy had his bag taken off and put in the hold, then remembered that his passport was in it, and it had to be taken out, passport retrieved, and put back in again, further delay for everyone else. We ended up coming very close to missing our takeoff slot.

So I've zero sympathy for your friend -if she wants to carry a bag on, make sure it's the right size, or check it in. And certainly don't start complaining and delaying the flight further.
    luckylucky wrote: »
    As an aside, lately when I've flown, they quite often take a look at your hand luggage at the check-in desk. I think it would be best to have this sorted out, before it ever gets to boarding the plane.

Most people with hand luggage only are going to check in online, so they won't be at a check in desk.

The moronic attitude by people who fly Ryanair - "because it's cheaper" - leaves me dumbfounded .

I can't understand the moronic attitude of people who think Aer Lingus is any better than Ryanair. After spending a year living on a route serviced only by AL, I'll never fly with them again given an option. And that was before they became a "low-fares" airline, though even then they were budget in everything but price.
    Say you want to go to London.
    You fly to Luton with Ryanair because it is 20euro cheaper than AerLingus.
    AerLingus fly to London and there's a tube at Heathrow so you can get your 3day or week or oyster ticket.
    You then spend 20quid getting from Luton to London.

Why the hell would I fly to Luton? I'd go to Stansted, and be on the train 15 minutes after I land. While I'd still be trekking through the corridors of Heathrow (or waiting for the late AL plane to land). Or Gatwick.

Say you want to go to Milan. Ryanair fly into Linate, 9km out, AL into Malpensa, 50km out. Or Riga - both fly into the same airport.

I can't book Aer Lingus anyway, because the credit card I use has a PO box as the address, which Aer Lingus won't accept. Even though it's acceptable to the bank, and for Visa International, and for any other airline, AL in their infinite wisdom decided it's not OK. So I have to book with a different card, which incurs a fee.

Found this on another board I visit:

Bleh, link did not work, ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Errr MOH
    Say you want to go to Milan. Ryanair fly into Linate, 9km out, AL into Malpensa, 50km out. Or Riga - both fly into the same airport.

EI ( Aer Lingus ) fly to both Linate and Malpensa , Linate on a daily basis , Malpensa only 2-3 times a week.

FR ( Ryanair ) fly to Bergamo which is about 50km from Milan .
    Why the hell would I fly to Luton? I'd go to Stansted, and be on the train 15 minutes after I land. While I'd still be trekking through the corridors of Heathrow (or waiting for the late AL plane to land). Or Gatwick.

The trains from Stansted and Luton are not cheap, if you are going to West London then LHR ( Heathrow ) is really the only reasonable place to fly to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Davidth88 wrote: »
    Errr MOH

EI ( Aer Lingus ) fly to both Linate and Malpensa , Linate on a daily basis , Malpensa only 2-3 times a week.

FR ( Ryanair ) fly to Bergamo which is about 50km from Milan .

Oops :o Pretty sure AL definitely only used to fly to Malpensa, must have been Alitalia I went to Linate with. Sorry, was talking rubbish there, good spot.
    The trains from Stansted and Luton are not cheap, if you are going to West London then LHR ( Heathrow ) is really the only reasonable place to fly to.
    My point was that alandunne27 was saying you'd fly to Luton if you were going to London with Ryanair - I couldn't understand why, surely you'd go to Stansted or Gatwick.
    And pretty much any time I go over for a match (NE London), it's cheaper to go Ryanair to Stansted and get the express than Aer Lingus to LHR. Even factoring in nearly 30 quid for the express. Plus it's a much easier airport to get around than Heathrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Ryanair have announced the phased introduction of web check in only. Get your printers ready!

http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/news.php?yr=09&month=mar&story=gen-en-100309
    Ryanair To Go 100% Web Check-In From October
    Ryanair, Europe’s largest low fares airline, today (10 March) announced it will move to 100% web check-in from 1st October 2009. This move will allow all passengers, including those travelling with checked baggage, to check-in online thereby avoiding time wasting queues and delays at airport check-in desks.

Ryanair’s web check-in service is open from 15 days to 4 hours before the scheduled departure time of each flight. Web check-in can be accessed via ryanair.com using booking confirmation numbers or flight details to retrieve each reservation.

Having printed their boarding cards at home passengers without check-in bags can continue to proceed directly through airport security while those with check-in bags can simply present at one of Ryanair’s “drop desks” before proceeding through airport security to the boarding gate. This will free passengers from wasting hours at airports prior to departure and will dramatically reduce travel times for all Ryanair passengers.

Ryanair will phase in the introduction of its 100% web check-in as follows:

· Phase 1: From 19th March 2009, Ryanair’s web check-in service will be extended to (a) non EU/EEA citizens, (b) passengers travelling with checked baggage and (c) reduced mobility customers.

Customers choosing web check-in and travelling with only carry-on bags will continue to enjoy this service free of charge. A web check-in fee of £5/€5 per person/per flight will apply to passengers travelling with checked baggage, while customers who wish to use airport check-in will be charged an airport check-in fee of £10/€10 per person/per flight at the time of booking.

· Phase 2: From 1st May 2009 all new bookings will be required to use web check-in, and the use of traditional airport check-in desks will be phased out over the summer months. The web check-in fee of £5/€5 per person, per flight will apply to all new bookings (except promotional fares) from 1st May 2009. In order to dissuade passengers from using airport check-in desks, the fee for airport check-in will double to £20/€20 per person/per flight at the time of booking.

· Phase 3: From 1st October 2009 airport check-in desks will no longer be available at any Ryanair airport. All passengers will be required to web check-in and those who have checked in bags will use the airport “bag drop” desks, if required. From this date, children under the age of 16 will no longer be able to travel unaccompanied and passports and national ID cards will be the only accepted forms of photo ID on Ryanair flights.

Ryanair’s Stephen McNamara said:

“Ryanair’s web check-in service is currently used by up to 75% of our passengers. This increasing trend has allowed Ryanair to continue to reduce our guaranteed lowest fares. Ryanair’s average one way air fare has now been reduced (by a further 9% in the last quarter) to just €34. Ryanair will phase in 100% web check-in and our “bag drop” service during summer 2009 thereby allowing all Ryanair passengers to benefit from the convenience of avoiding airport check-in queues.

“Ryanair’s move to 100% web check-in from 1st October 2009 is a first for the airline industry and is another pioneering move from Ryanair, which will again lower the cost of flying for millions of Ryanair customers. We are confident that all passengers will embrace this improved service which will allow them to forever avoid check-in queues while at the same time it will enable Ryanair to lower our airport and handling costs and pass on these savings to all passengers in the form of even lower air fares next winter”.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

· Phase 2: From 1st May 2009 all new bookings will be required to use web check-in, and the use of traditional airport check-in desks will be phased out over the summer months. The web check-in fee of £5/€5 per person, per flight will apply to all new bookings (except promotional fares) from 1st May 2009. In order to dissuade passengers from using airport check-in desks, the fee for airport check-in will double to £20/€20 per person/per flight at the time of booking.

So I will have to pay to check in? Wonderful...what next, pay to use the steps for boarding? :rolleyes:

So I will have to pay to check in? Wonderful...what next, pay to use the steps for boarding? :rolleyes:
    I think it is wrong to have charges not included in the actual price if is impossible to not have to pay them like this online checkin charge seems to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭thatsnotmyname

I was checking in tonight on line for a Ryanair flight to Liverpool this Saturday.
    I entered all my details passport number e.t.c
    when i had everything completed i discovered that i had by error selected my nationality as Italian not Irish !
    does anyone know how i can rectify this

any advise would be greatly appreciated.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Yes , but by paying that fee you will reduce the cost of your fare.

It's true - yer man from Ryanair said it in the article quoted above. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

I was checking in tonight on line for a Ryanair flight to Liverpool this Saturday.
    I entered all my details passport number e.t.c
    when i had everything completed i discovered that i had by error selected my nationality as Italian not Irish !
    does anyone know how i can rectify this

any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Hi

I'm not sure never happened to me, but I think they only check the names match in the passport and boarding card, when you go to the gate have the passport open on the picture page and boarding printout cut most of the way on the dotted line.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭thatsnotmyname

nava wrote: »
    Hi

I'm not sure never happened to me, but I think they only check the names match in the passport and boarding card, when you go to the gate have the passport open on the picture page and boarding printout cut most of the way on the dotted line.
    Cheers,
    thanks for the reply
    i will try that ... iam sure i selected Ireland :confused:

Cheers,
    thanks for the reply
    i will try that ... iam sure i selected Ireland :confused:
    Two things could have happened. You may have picked ireland but as you clicked you moved the mouse or else you could have used the scroll wheel to scroll down the page but had the drop down box selected at the time. I can't image there will be a problem at the gate as they don't really even look at the print outs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

This is the decision now that will make me use another airline whenever I can as opposed to Ryanair (unless of course there's a massive price difference). I'm all for cheaper air fares but you cannot get rid of customer service completely. For christ sake charging you to print something on your own printer for their convenience. They're really in cloud cuckoo land now.

Currently
    Web check-in, costs Ryanair nothing, free for customer.
    Airport check-in, Ryanair have to pay airport for facility, £5/€5 charge to customer.

Coming soon
    Web check-in, costs Ryanair nothing, £5/€5 charge to customer..
    Airport check-in, doesn't exist.

Good old O'Leary - stop paying the airports - but keep charging the customer. £5/€5 charge per leg, pure profit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

Basically for quick calculation, assuming you have one bag, add €60 taxes & fees per flight to the headline cost of your ryanair flight to get the real one way cost. (aasuming online check in.)

Without a bag, the average taxes & charges charge is €50 per flight per person.

So say flight price = €49.99 each way, total price will be approx €200 - €220 return.

Note to electron users - the no fee is temporary!!! "As a special offer to Visa Electron card holders, Ryanair, for a limited period only, will not apply a Debit Card charge"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

darc wrote: »
    Note to electron users - the no fee is temporary!!! "As a special offer to Visa Electron card holders, Ryanair, for a limited period only, will not apply a Debit Card charge"

That has been on the website for as long as I can remember. Ryanair do not charge for electron card so they can advertise the 1p/99p flights. If they charge for electron and do not offer another free method of paying, they cannot advertise those type of flights.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

benifa wrote: »

Coming soon
    Web check-in, costs Ryanair nothing, £5/€5 charge to customer..
    Airport check-in, doesn't exist.

Has anybody here been to Dublin Airport with a printed off boarding card and gotten an error on the scanner at security? In my company about 5% of the boarding passes get this problem. We can't narrow it down to printers or inks. You can print 5 boarding passes from one printer and just one of them might have a problem.

Normally the guys tell you to go to the check in desk and get them to print you off a new boarding card. It's not too much hassle (if you use an airline that doesn't have huge queues) now but does that mean Ryanair will charge you if the scanner doesn't recognise your ticket?

Has anybody here been to Dublin Airport with a printed off boarding card and gotten an error on the scanner at security? In my company about 5% of the boarding passes get this problem. We can't narrow it down to printers or inks. You can print 5 boarding passes from one printer and just one of them might have a problem.

Normally the guys tell you to go to the check in desk and get them to print you off a new boarding card. It's not too much hassle (if you use an airline that doesn't have huge queues) now but does that mean Ryanair will charge you if the scanner doesn't recognise your ticket?

My understanding is that Ryanair will have self-check in machines in airports, like the ones Aer Lingus and other airlines currently have. I imagine that you'd be able to print/re-print your boarding card on that, if necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭ongarite

Hey,
    I booked a flight with Ryanair using Firefox and when I entered my payment details and it verified, a message appeared on the next page saying the session has been locked.
    I checked my email a few minutes later and got the flight confirmation email but I'm wondering if its has been charged to my CC correctly or more than once as I refreshed the "session has been locked" page a few times.

Advertisement