Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Oryx wrote: »
    What good would complaining about it do?
    Please note use of sarcastic smiley in my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Bluetonic wrote: »

So, you come on being sarcastic though no one's actually complaining about anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I didnt have a problem with the Airport check in charge as Ryanair gave an alternative that I could use for free.

Now that alternative will be the only means of checking in.
    And they have decided to charge the only means of checking in??

Why dont they just build this €5/£5 charge into the tarriff for the flight?

How can I avoid this unnecessary charge.
    Just walk across the fields to the airport and walk onto the plane!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Sarcastic smiley is default mode when dealing with Ryanair. Cos to quote god knows who, when theyre good, theyre very very good, but when theyre bad, theyre horrid. :D

To be honest it's swings and roundabouts. It matters not, either they charge €5 to check-in or they add €5 to the fare.

What matters is the nett price you pay.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

benifa wrote: »
    To be honest it's swings and roundabouts. It matters not, either they charge €5 to check-in or they add €5 to the fare.

What matters is the nett price you pay.
    Wont that mean that legally they will have to advertise it in the ticket price? (Wasnt that what they were pulled for before, misleading people on pricing?) If the charge is unavoidable it should be bundled with the initial cost.

Oryx wrote: »
    Wont that mean that legally they will have to advertise it in the ticket price? (Wasnt that what they were pulled for before, misleading people on pricing?) If the charge is unavoidable it should be bundled with the initial cost.

Pass! What you've said sounds reasonable though.

I complained once to the ASAI about Ryanair's advertising being misleading, as the Visa Electron payment method is not reasonably available to Irish residents, since no Irish banks issue the card (so "free" flights are never* actually free). The ASAI sent a reply saying Ryanair are in the right!

So, who knows.

*I say never, but I accept that there are ways by which Irish residents can obtain a VE card, such as opening a Lloyds TSB (Spain) bank account, or using the Entropay trick, or by buying a UK Post Office Travel Money card. Not exactly practical though, in any case.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Strange how the Departure Tax is used as a reason for Ruinair to cut flights and services but yet the newly obligatory web check-in is just a by-the-by.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

I complained once to the ASAI about Ryanair's advertising being misleading, as the Visa Electron payment method is not reasonably available to Irish residents, since no Irish banks issue the card (so "free" flights are never* actually free). The ASAI sent a reply saying Ryanair are in the right!

Have you ever looked at the ASAI bulletins? Ryanair are in there every few months, and it almost always ends in "The advertisers failed to provide a response" - they just ignore the ASAI.
    Although there was one amusing one in there which was a complaint about Aer Lingus advertising - the complainant was Ryanair!

I've a Visa electron :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I was wondering about ways to avoid paying the credit card charge and I heard that buying vouchers and using them is a good substitute. Has anyone done this and is there any hassles with the transaction?

Problem is the cost of my flights is €151.14 so probably could only order 150 and get caught on the remainder credit card fee.

Any advice welcomed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

With the online check-in now being mandatory, what happens when you've to check in for your return flight from a holiday and you can't access a computer??

With the online check-in now being mandatory, what happens when you've to check in for your return flight from a holiday and you can't access a computer??

You have to get out your wallet when you get to the airport.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

You have to get out your wallet when you get to the airport.
    This, 40 EUR charge and I'd guess a wait in queue at the airport. Is there not also a CC fee at the desk (I vaguely recall that when I had to pay for 2kg above limit before) as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

where does ryanair fly to that doesn't have computers?

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

passive wrote: »
    where does ryanair fly to that doesn't have computers?

Well sometimes it might be very difficult to get access to a computer and especially a printer. Most resorts have internet access but not all have a printing service.

I'm sure the majority of people don't holiday for over 14 days at a time. With Ryanair you can check in from 15 days. For the minority I'm sure there will be internet and printing access available to them at sometime during those 15+ days away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭c4cat

Ryanair have been charging this wheelchair levy to cover the cost to provide a wheelchair service for disabled passengers. Considering there are never more then 4 disabled passengers allowed on any one ryanair flight and in truth I would say 90% of all flights will be carrying NO disabled passengers. How much is Ryanair pocketing from its customers to cover the cost of providing a wheelchair service. Consider Ryanair have hundreds of flights each day of the week, their fleet size is about 186 planes at say 6 flights each per day is 1116 flights X 170 passengers =189720 passengers per day X 364 days = 69,058,080 now lets see wheel chair levy is 2 euros per pax = E138,116,160 so in the 10 yrs or so they have collected almost 1.4 billion Euros to fund access for how many disabled passengers on its entire rout network?????????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

c4cat wrote: »
    Ryanair have been charging this wheelchair levy to cover the cost to provide a wheelchair service for disabled passengers. Considering there are never more then 4 disabled passengers allowed on any one ryanair flight and in truth I would say 90% of all flights will be carrying NO disabled passengers. How much is Ryanair pocketing from its customers to cover the cost of providing a wheelchair service. Consider Ryanair have hundreds of flights each day of the week, their fleet size is about 186 planes at say 6 flights each per day is 1116 flights X 170 passengers =189720 passengers per day X 364 days = 69,058,080 now lets see wheel chair levy is 2 euros per pax = E138,116,160 so in the 10 yrs or so they have collected almost 1.4 billion Euros to fund access for how many disabled passengers on its entire rout network?????????

I doubt the figure is anywhere near that, given not all planes are full.. in 2005 their turnover was only 1.4b and grew to 2.2 in 2007... growing from 370m in 2000...

Welease wrote: »
    I doubt the figure is anywhere near that, given not all planes are full.. in 2005 their turnover was only 1.4b and grew to 2.2 in 2007... growing from 370m in 2000...

Well have a look here
    http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/about.php?page=Invest&sec=traffic

OK I originally quoted numbers base on number of aircraft and guess work now lets talk fact

have a look here and go to page 11/96 of their published accounts for 2008

Airport & handling charges..........E396,326,000 This is what ryanair paid to the airports it uses

now look here http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/about.php?page=Invest&sec=traffic

And we see that in Dec 2007 to Dec 2008 they carried 57,672,682 passengers from whom they collected E115,345,364 At 2 euro each for a wheelchair levy. which eqates to almost 30% of the airport charges they paid out (Ryanair use to state the amount of the wheel chair levy but now they do not so I am going by what I remember used to be stated as the wheelchair levy E2.00)

• Advertisement

Thanks :) that just proves what I have said... Their traffic has not been linear for 10 years it has in fact grown exponentially..

So therefore you cannot take the latest (and highest) number of travellers X 10 (years) and come up with a figure of 1.4 billion.. You own figures show that each year you go back in time, the less Ryanair carried.. back to 2002 which shows about 1/5 (can't be arsed to add it up) of their current traffic. Therefore it isnt 1.4b as you claimed :)

I don't know if they do charge a levy.. I don't know their reasoning if they do.. I am merely pointing out that your initial statements and figures are likely to be way off and need revaluation.

OK I originally quoted numbers base on number of aircraft and guess work now lets talk fact

have a look here and go to page 11/96 of their published accounts for 2008

Airport & handling charges..........E396,326,000 This is what ryanair paid to the airports it uses

now look here http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/about.php?page=Invest&sec=traffic

And we see that in Dec 2007 to Dec 2008 they carried 57,672,682 passengers from whom they collected E115,345,364 At 2 euro each for a wheelchair levy. which eqates to almost 30% of the airport charges they paid out (Ryanair use to state the amount of the wheel chair levy but now they do not so I am going by what I remember used to be stated as the wheelchair levy E2.00)

A quick check on their site says the wheelchair levy is 50c...
    They carried 1.5m disbabled passengers last year..

Which Michael O Leary says "We estimate it costs £25 [per person] to transport disabled passengers at Stansted, and we carry 1.5 million such passengers every year" and claimed that Ryanair "kept getting people who just didn't fancy the long walk to the plane and declared themselves to be in need of assistance." "

A quick check on their site says the wheelchair levy is 50c...
    They carried 1.5m disbabled passengers last year..

Which Michael O Leary says "We estimate it costs £25 [per person] to transport disabled passengers at Stansted, and we carry 1.5 million such passengers every year" and claimed that Ryanair "kept getting people who just didn't fancy the long walk to the plane and declared themselves to be in need of assistance." "

would you please show the link you are quoting from regarding this levy stating its 50c. Since every passenger has to pay the levy I can not blame people for taking a wheel chair cos its usually a 2 km walk through to a ryanair gate anyway, and since micky Oleary would still be making an excess profit on the levy being 50c x 160 plus passengers average per plane, ff thats what he is charging. If he has reduced this levy, I have not seen him reduce his airport charge to the passengers it has remained the some or increased in line with government charges brought in

would you please show the link you are quoting from regarding this levy stating its 50c. Since every passenger has to pay the levy I can not blame people for taking a wheel chair cos its usually a 2 km walk through to a ryanair gate anyway, and since micky Oleary would still be making an excess profit on the levy being 50c x 160 plus passengers average per plane, ff thats what he is charging. If he has reduced this levy, I have not seen him reduce his airport charge to the passengers it has remained the some or increased in line with government charges brought in

Details on their site...

http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/faqs.php?sect=pnr&quest=taxesfeescharges&xtmc=wheelchair%20levy&xtcr=3

I am not saying the charge is not excessive etc. Easyjet apparently absorb the charge, and the true cost is apparently about 2-3c per passenger according to disability groups.. I am just stating your original data is waay off and needs revaluation to shore up your case :)

Details on their site...

http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/faqs.php?sect=pnr&quest=taxesfeescharges&xtmc=wheelchair%20levy&xtcr=3

I am not saying the charge is not excessive etc. Easyjet apparently absorb the charge, and the true cost is apparently about 2-3c per passenger according to disability groups.. I am just stating your original data is waay off and needs revaluation to shore up your case :)

Point taken, I was working on flawed data just from the top of my head based on what I was charged for this levy in the past, but its only recently its been reduced on paper . As you agree, the amount actually charged is way too much considering a disabled person would most likely avoid Ryanair in the first place for the fear of being dropped from a great height whilst been carried up the steps by two people. According to Mr Oleary's numbers they do not add up either 1.5M passengers = to more the 3% of all passengers using Ryanair needing a wheel chair on his flights. This equates to about 5 passengers per flight on average. Ryanair's own rules say that only 4 disabled passengers may be carried on any one aircraft. So if Ryanair did carry that many disabled wheel chair users on every flight how did Ryanair keep their aircraft flying on time cos embarking and and Disembarking 4+ disabled passengers on each flight would take extra time

I have been looking at the insurance surcharge introduced since 9/11 and have come to the conclusion that 55 million passenger paying almost E6 per Flight insurance surcharge is enough to buy 6 brand new aircraft per year at current passenger levels Yet Ryanair has not even written off one aircraft due to any terrorist action, but they have collected enough cash to buy at least 20 of them if not more at USD75 M a pop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

First time the family is travelling with Ryanair next week.
    My god its hard to keep under the 15kg allowance, especially when travelling to a wedding in Italy with three kids.

I'll manage it going out, i can weigh the bags when packing
    But anyone got an idea how to manage this coming home, I dont think I will find a weighing scales too handy out there ?

I dont want to get hit with excess weight fees coming home.

Point taken, I was working on flawed data just from the top of my head based on what I was charged for this levy in the past, but its only recently its been reduced on paper . As you agree, the amount actually charged is way too much considering a disabled person would most likely avoid Ryanair in the first place for the fear of being dropped from a great height whilst been carried up the steps by two people. According to Mr Oleary's numbers they do not add up either 1.5M passengers = to more the 3% of all passengers using Ryanair needing a wheel chair on his flights. This equates to about 5 passengers per flight on average. Ryanair's own rules say that only 4 disabled passengers may be carried on any one aircraft. So if Ryanair did carry that many disabled wheel chair users on every flight how did Ryanair keep their aircraft flying on time cos embarking and and Disembarking 4+ disabled passengers on each flight would take extra time

I have been looking at the insurance surcharge introduced since 9/11 and have come to the conclusion that 55 million passenger paying almost E6 per Flight insurance surcharge is enough to buy 6 brand new aircraft per year at current passenger levels Yet Ryanair has not even written off one aircraft due to any terrorist action, but they have collected enough cash to buy at least 20 of them if not more at USD75 M a pop.

To me.. and I find it strange Ryanair are in a unique position (from the companies I know) in that they have driven down the cost of air travel, yet the customer who benefits the most from this has about 0 brand loyalty to them, and would gladly use another company is the price was comparative.

Is the problem really that Ryanair are charging those surcharges or is the problem that they are actually too transparent in their pricing?

The obvious initial answer is that they are charging for them, and if you do a search The Telegraph did an article on them and how Ryanair is profiting from both the wheelchair and insurance levies.. But if you stop for a second, and compare what Ryanair charge you as a customer and what the others airlines charge for essentially the same service, Ryanair (in general) charge a lot less overall.. Hence why their have made increasing profits year on year while the others are deep in debt.. People travel with Ryanair because in general they are far cheaper..

The other airlines may not charge those levies, but given their overall cost if far higher, they are charging for something but with them I have no idea what it is...

I personally don't like Ryanair but I have used them because they were cheaper.. As any other consumer I can vote with my feet and not use them if i don't like them, but sometimes it seems the fashion to bash Ryanair because.. well they are Ryanair.. I'm for more amazed at how the other airlines can charge me double for the same exact flight to the same exact destination.. Isn't that a bigger consumer question?

(example.. we flew to Tenerefe 2 weeks ago with Ryanair.. I really really didn't want to pay them a cent.. but it was 330 Euro for 2 adults and 2 kids under the age of 2.. Air Lingus wanted 670....)

For me.. I am happy to pay a 50c wheelchair charge and save 340 Euro on the flights.. even if I do begrudge giving O'Leary a cent :)

alibabba wrote: »
    I'll manage it going out, i can weigh the bags when packing
    But anyone got an idea how to manage this coming home, I dont think I will find a weighing scales too handy out there ?
    Just bring the same stuff home with you as you brought over.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

alibabba wrote: »

I recently bought one of these from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-8120-Digital-Luggage-Scale/dp/B001FWXFP4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1242487138&sr=8-2

It was dead handy for sorting out our bags in the hotel. I wasn't travelling with a 15Kg limit though so it'll be tougher for you.

For me the tips that saved a lot of kilos were.

1: Put the heaviest smaller items into your carry on luggage. I don't know about Ryanair but the airline I used didn't weigh the carry on. Mine and my missus carry ons weighed a tonne.

2: Don't pack shoes. Wear them. I.e. if you're leaving a hot country and you're wearing sandals swap them for the heaviest shoes in your bag. They can easily eat up a couple of kilos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

2: Don't pack shoes. Wear them. I.e. if you're leaving a hot country and you're wearing sandals swap them for the heaviest shoes in your bag. They can easily eat up a couple of kilos.

What kind of 2 kilo shoes do you wear?

Advertisement