Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

alibabba wrote: »
    First time the family is travelling with Ryanair next week.
    My god its hard to keep under the 15kg allowance, especially when travelling to a wedding in Italy with three kids.

I'll manage it going out, i can weigh the bags when packing
    But anyone got an idea how to manage this coming home, I dont think I will find a weighing scales too handy out there ?

I dont want to get hit with excess weight fees coming home.
    if theres a "homestore and more" near you, they have those handy weighing scales lifting strap thingies going cheap at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 silly1

Ryanair - Prices quoted in Sterling for London to Dublin one way when I made a booking for next July.

I cant understand this because if you book a return Dublin-London-Dublin all flights are listed in Euro.

Also when making the booking the telephone number of the lead passenger was not accepted giving a spurious error message until I put in a Uk number.

Has anybody experienced the same and do you know if there is a workaround or explanation for these.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 47 hotstuff2

the flight you booked is from UK so they will always charge in sterling. You should be able to put in your Irish contact no. though including prefix

hotstuff2 wrote: »
    the flight you booked is from UK so they will always charge in sterling. You should be able to put in your Irish contact no. though including prefix

Well I would have thought that as an Irish customer using their Irish version of their webpage (as indicated by the flag in the top right hand corner) that I would be charged in Euro. I guess what I am really getting at here is that the transaction will incur a currency conversion cost plus commission, whereas if transacted in Euro it would not.

As for the dates no matter what combination of prefixes I tried nothing worked until I input a london no plus prefix.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Threads merged

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Peadar06

I heard today, that from 2 weeks from now, there will be no check in desks and you will have to book online and print out your ticket. A disgrace I'd say.

Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

You will also have to pay for the 'benefit' of online check-in (5 euro I believe). What I'm curious about though is whether there will be an additional charge on top of this for using your visa to pay for the online check-in.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Peadar06

Also if you want to check in at the desk, you must pay €40.

Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

jhegarty wrote: »
    DAA run the airport, ie. the faulty display which caused him to miss the flight...
    +1

I've been wandering around the gates before looking for my flight which wasn't where it was supposed to be, with Ryanair staff at unrelated gates getting increasingly frustrated at being given abuse by people, and frantically trying to get the DAA to correct the display. I went to two different DAA information desks to try and get some information, of course both were unmanned.

silly1 wrote: »
    Well I would have thought that as an Irish customer using their Irish version of their webpage (as indicated by the flag in the top right hand corner) that I would be charged in Euro. I guess what I am really getting at here is that the transaction will incur a currency conversion cost plus commission, whereas if transacted in Euro it would not.

As for the dates no matter what combination of prefixes I tried nothing worked until I input a london no plus prefix.

I've booked flights before one-way from london and had no trouble putting in my Irish mobile, with 00 353 in front of it.

If they converted the price and charged in Euro then people would complain about the conversion rate and give out about more hidden charges etc.

Any airline I've ever booked with has quoted the fare in the currency of the country the flight is originating from.

• Advertisement

MOH wrote: »
    Any airline I've ever booked with has quoted the fare in the currency of the country the flight is originating from.

Not so - I was in Manchester less than a month ago. Flew Dublin - Manchester with Ryanair and returned with Aer Lingus. I was charged in Euro by Aer Lingus as I would have expected.

The point is that I am an Irish consumer purchasing a service from an Irish company (Ryanair in this instance) so I would expect to be quoted and pay in the currency of the country that the transaction is taking place in. Where I am flying to/from should be irrelevant.
    :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Not so - I was in Manchester less than a month ago. Flew Dublin - Manchester with Ryanair and returned with Aer Lingus. I was charged in Euro by Aer Lingus as I would have expected.

The point is that I am an Irish consumer purchasing a service from an Irish company (Ryanair in this instance) so I would expect to be quoted and pay in the currency of the country that the transaction is taking place in. Where I am flying to/from should be irrelevant.

I don't think you're right there, silly. Normally the currency you pay in is that of the originating country. So, a one-way ticket from Manchester to Dublin is charged in GBP. I've just tried it, on the Aer Lingus website, to confirm. Try it yourself. Don't know how you managed to be charged in Euro. Might want to double-check there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

AL will quote you in GBP but will allow you to be charged in EUR using their rate. Thats how you managed to do it. It would have been cheaper to stick with GBP as your CC rate is better than the quoted AL conversion rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭opa01_2000

Great quote from Peter Preston (formerly Guardian editor) on U.tv.com

Ryanair isn't always as cheap as it claims, but the nastiness makes it feel cheap (and not at all cheerful).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Peewee_lane

I booked a holiday say from the 2nd - 7th

Then I phoned, and ammended the dates to the 1st -6th.

Ive been charged for all flights and after checking my credit card I phoned Ryanair, couldnt get through for a long time, I was told that I could not get a refund.

Im so confused - surely this isnt right?

I recently bought one of these from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-8120-Digital-Luggage-Scale/dp/B001FWXFP4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1242487138&sr=8-2

It was dead handy for sorting out our bags in the hotel. I wasn't travelling with a 15Kg limit though so it'll be tougher for you.

For me the tips that saved a lot of kilos were.

1: Put the heaviest smaller items into your carry on luggage. I don't know about Ryanair but the airline I used didn't weigh the carry on. Mine and my missus carry ons weighed a tonne.

2: Don't pack shoes. Wear them. I.e. if you're leaving a hot country and you're wearing sandals swap them for the heaviest shoes in your bag. They can easily eat up a couple of kilos.

Flew Ryanair Dublin to Zadar two weeks ago and did this, put spare shoes and heavy stuff in the carry on bags which allowed us to keep the check-in bag just on the limit. Then they asked to weigh the carry on too, which luckily was still under the limit, so watch out for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

I booked a holiday say from the 2nd - 7th

Then I phoned, and ammended the dates to the 1st -6th.

Ive been charged for all flights and after checking my credit card I phoned Ryanair, couldnt get through for a long time, I was told that I could not get a refund.

Im so confused - surely this isnt right?
    Sounds right, you booked something then wanted to change the flights so had to pay the change fee plus the difference.

All above board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Peewee_lane

But why if I rang a hotel and changed my arrival and departure dates I wouldnt be charged twice? I phoned them to change my departure and arrival dates, to move my booking to another date.. I dont believe this.

Surely this isnt fair?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Sounds right, you booked something then wanted to change the flights so had to pay the change fee plus the difference.

All above board.

Yes correct, also to let everyone know if they change/cancel a flight you can call and ammend the changed/canceled flight as needed for free even if newer flight is more expensive.

They cancel a flight I had booked for a Tuesday (paid €1) on the e-mail notification they offer me the next flight on Thursday but I called the reservation center and changed that flight for the Sunday that was selling at the time for €79.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭opa01_2000

Investigators believe a newly bereaved Ryanair captain's psychological state, combined with his co-pilot's inexperience, led to an unplanned and highly unstable approach to Rome during poor weather conditions.

Italy's ANSV investigation agency says the captain's three-month-old son had died just a few days before the Niederrhein-Rome Ciampino flight, but he had not informed anyone of the situation, partly out of concern for his job.

The ANSV, which has just released details of the September 2005 incident, adds that the co-pilot of the Boeing 737-800 - who had just 300h on type from 475h total - had not previously flown in adverse weather conditions.

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2009/06/10/327687/ryanair-captain-flew-unstable-approach-days-after-sons.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭funnyname

Hi

Last friday my 8.30am flight to Shannon from Stansted was bumped due to operational issues, the plane was needed for a return flight to France.

This led to a 6.75 hour delay, Ryanair did provide a £3.50 voucher which could only be used in one outlet at the airport, however they did not announce that vouchers were available, you had to ask for them.

I was told I could buy more and send the receipt to their HQ and claim for the excess. Has anyone done this and been sucessful?

Assist passengers facing long delays.
    When airlines reasonably expect a long delay, they will be obliged to give
    passengers:
    - meals and refreshments, and
    - hotel accommodation, when a delay obliges a passenger to stay overnight, and
    - reimbursement, when a delay delays a passenger for at least five hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

But why if I rang a hotel and changed my arrival and departure dates I wouldnt be charged twice? I phoned them to change my departure and arrival dates, to move my booking to another date.. I dont believe this.

Surely this isnt fair?
    Flight dates, times and routes are changeable subject to availability, upon payment of the current change fee - Click here for details. Plus in each case any difference in cost between the original total price paid and the lowest total price available at the time the change is made (if applicable).

If the total price is lower on the new flight, no refund will be made.

That is included in the T&Cs that you are obliged to acknowledge before completing your purchase of flights.

funnyname wrote: »
    Hi

Last friday my 8.30am flight to Shannon from Stansted was bumped due to operational issues, the plane was needed for a return flight to France.

This led to a 6.75 hour delay, Ryanair did provide a £3.50 voucher which could only be used in one outlet at the airport, however they did not announce that vouchers were available, you had to ask for them.

I was told I could buy more and send the receipt to their HQ and claim for the excess. Has anyone done this and been sucessful?

From the EU compensation rules, it looks like for a flight of <1500km, and a delay > 2 hours you're entitled to "meals and refreshment in reasonable relation to waiting time" and two free calls/telex/faxes/e-mails. (And as the delay was over five hours, you could also have opted for a refund instead.)

3.50 seems a bit stingy for a 6+ hour delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

(Note: I’m waiting to board a delayed flight with one of Europe’s cheapest and largest airlines.)

Hostess: “Welcome to flight *** from Malmoe to Dublin. Those of you with seating numbers 1 through 35, please go to line one. Those of you with seating numbers 36 and up, please go to line two. If any of you are traveling with small children or checked in online, please go to the counter and you will be let on board before we start boarding the other passengers.”

(A group of businessmen, about 35-55 years old and in suits, walk to the counter and cut in front of a family with very young children.)

Hostess: “Well, I can see you didn’t check in online, so you’ll have to stand in line. The first line is for early seating numbers; the second line is for la–”

Businessman #1: “Oh, come on… can’t you make an exception? We’re already standing here and all.”

Businessman #2: “You only have to board us and we’re done!”

Hostess: “No, you’ll have to wait in turn, just like everyone else. The lines start over there.”

Businessman #2: “But I always get to board the plane first!”

Hostess: “You’re not a family with children and you didn’t check in over the internet, so you’ll have to stand in line.”

Businessman #2: *very angrily* “DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?!”

Hostess: “No, but you can’t be that important if you’re traveling with us.”

Businessman #2: *quietly retreats to the back of the line with his buddies*

Excerpt from notalwaysright.com

Sh1tty customer service maybe, a great gate assitant definitley.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

MOH wrote: »
    From the EU compensation rules, it looks like for a flight of <1500km, and a delay > 2 hours you're entitled to "meals and refreshment in reasonable relation to waiting time" and two free calls/telex/faxes/e-mails. (And as the delay was over five hours, you could also have opted for a refund instead.)

3.50 seems a bit stingy for a 6+ hour delay.

Yes there is a law! If your delayed so and so you get A
    Delayed longer get B ect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Bluebell55

Funnyname, I had a similiar problem with ryanair.
    My flight from barcelona to Shannon at the end of may was delayed, then cancelled. The inital delay was due to fog, which had lifted by the time our flight was supposed to depart. I finally got home 41 hours later via a connecting flight from gatwick. Therefore, this required an overnight stay. We were informed by the officials at girona airport that one could collect all receipts, and send them to ryanair for compensation to be awarded. My group and I were very fair, just claimed for the hotel stay (in a 2 star hotel) and a meal, which was less than 15 euro.

I recently recieved an email back from ryanair stating that according to their "EU261 Article 14.2 notice, when a flight disruption is outside of our control, we regret that no monetary compensation is due under Article 7 of EU261/2004."

So I have been left significantly out of pocket, and its nobodies fault.

You may succeed with your claim. However, beware!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I recently booked with Ryanair for a trip to visit the brother. I automatically went for "cabin baggage only" - but now I realise that I'm staying over a week, and could do with a suitcase.

But I can't see any way to change this before I check in online.

Is there a way? (I know I'll pay extra, but don't mind if it's not too dear.)

It's not a major problem - I can always send myself a parcel of clothes, or buy a cheap outfit when I'm there - but it would be handy to add a suitcase to my allowance if I can do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

luckat wrote: »
    I recently booked with Ryanair for a trip to visit the brother. I automatically went for "cabin baggage only" - but now I realise that I'm staying over a week, and could do with a suitcase.

But I can't see any way to change this before I check in online.

Is there a way? (I know I'll pay extra, but don't mind if it's not too dear.)

It's not a major problem - I can always send myself a parcel of clothes, or buy a cheap outfit when I'm there - but it would be handy to add a suitcase to my allowance if I can do it.
    Go to manage my booking:
    https://www.bookryanair.com/SkySales/FRManageBooking.aspx?culture=EN-GB&lc=EN-GB
    and pick add bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

Why do they offer fights for 0.00????:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

axer wrote: »

Oh, thanks, that's great.

Advertisement