Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

So just out of curiosity I changed the flights around just to see what options would come up and UK Maestro shows as an option, now all I need is a proxy server to fool them, dammit anyway.

I would say the problem is where you're flying from. If you book from Ireland to the UK, Maestro isn't an option, but if your flight is from the UK to Ireland, it is. A Proxy won't help you with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carly_86

Just a quick question: I'm flying to London soon and on the boarding pass is says that you can only have 10kg of luggage i thought it was 15kg or does the 10kg mean the hand luggage

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

carly_86 wrote: »
    Just a quick question: I'm flying to London soon and on the boarding pass is says that you can only have 10kg of luggage i thought it was 15kg or does the 10kg mean the hand luggage
    Hand luggage is 10KG and checked in luggage is 15kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Frank11

Hi All,
    I booked some flights from poland to dublin so i paid in the Polish PLN, which is fine. The total amount came to 1132.30 PLN which converts to about 270euro.
    So, i expected to see a charge of 1132.30 PLN on my credit card with the exchange rate and the euro equivialent which is the norm when paying in a different currency.
    Ryainair charged me in euro's and stuck an extra 20euro on for themselves. Now 20euro is not going to cripple me but i just sick of all these extras appearing out of nowhere. Has anybody else any experience of this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Frank11 wrote: »
    i just sick of all these extras appearing out of nowhere. Has anybody else any experience of this?
    Nope, never charged more than the amount on the website.

You failed to mention what rate you used to calculate the euro equivalent, how much (in euro) they actually charged or how much you saved compared to other airlines.

Did you check the exchange rate on the day the payment went through?

Theres always a breakdown of the charges on your confirmation e-mail. Can't you figure out what the extra '20 euro for themselves' was billed as?

• Advertisement

Did you check the exchange rate on the day the payment went through?

Theres always a breakdown of the charges on your confirmation e-mail. Can't you figure out what the extra '20 euro for themselves' was billed as?[/quote]

Hey Gurgle,
    the breakdown of charges on the email was in PLN and amounted to 1132.30 PLN which converts within the range of euro270 to 276 with the flux in the exchange rate over the few days i was waiting for the flights to appear on my credit card.
    What has the comparision to other airlines got to do with anything? Ryanair charged me 1130.3PLN = €270 not €290 :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

I booked some flights from poland to dublin so i paid in the Polish PLN
    Ryainair charged me in euro's

Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC) is what happened. Ryanair knows that the currency of your card is EUR and not PLN, so charged you in EUR.

They are supposed to give you the option though, either be charged in the the original currency of the transaction (PLN), or accept DCC (EUR) at Ryanair's rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

carly_86 wrote: »

Axer is correct
    axer wrote: »
    Hand luggage is 10KG and checked in luggage is 15kg.

Anyone know anything on this?

Its possible to be fined, if you land with an extra bag, you can add one as an above post said under manage my booking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

Just in....

"The online fee for the first checked-in bag will rise from €10 to €15, while the fee for the second bag goes up from €20 to €35. If these are checked in at the airport, the fee for the first bag climbs from €20 to €30, while the charge for the second bag goes up from €20 to €70."

Basically, if you have a bag for the hold avaoid Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭mopi

Hi All,
    I booked some flights from poland to dublin so i paid in the Polish PLN, which is fine. The total amount came to 1132.30 PLN which converts to about 270euro.
    So, i expected to see a charge of 1132.30 PLN on my credit card with the exchange rate and the euro equivialent which is the norm when paying in a different currency.
    Ryainair charged me in euro's and stuck an extra 20euro on for themselves. Now 20euro is not going to cripple me but i just sick of all these extras appearing out of nowhere. Has anybody else any experience of this?

If your credit card statement shows only Euro amounts and no conversion from PLN to EUR then you have experianced the wonders of Dynamic Currency Conversion [DCC] if you look closely at the Ryanair webpage where you enter your card CVV number you will see the words

If the currency of this transaction is different to the currency of the card statement please click here to view the actual billing amount.

now the 'click here' never works for me [Firefox/Chrome] but if you use IE you should see the actual amount that will be applied to your card.

I've had a beef with VISA (ireland) about this as DCC is supposed to be at the buyers discretion not Ryanairs and all charges should be fully itemised not hidden in a poor conversion rate. Per VISA (europe) rules, see this link

http://www.visaeurope.com/merchant/operationsandsecurity/rulesandregulations/currencyconversion.jsp

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

darc wrote: »
    Just in....

"The online fee for the first checked-in bag will rise from €10 to €15, while the fee for the second bag goes up from €20 to €35. If these are checked in at the airport, the fee for the first bag climbs from €20 to €30, while the charge for the second bag goes up from €20 to €70."

Just a reminder

your 15Kg weight allowence doesn't increase if you pay for more bags ,
    the €70 charge for the second bag means you still have to pay per Kg for the excess if the total weight of all hold bags is over 15Kg

you can't combine it with other people on the same flight, so two people with a 20Kg bag will have to pay for 5Kg excess

Get a weighing scales and make sure your bag is 15Kg or less, if you have multiple small bags , buy a single large one.

some airports in the UK do weigh bags at entry to departure so you don't make the carry on big AND heavy

mopi wrote: »
    If your credit card statement shows only Euro amounts and no conversion from PLN to EUR then you have experianced the wonders of Dynamic Currency Conversion [DCC] if you look closely at the Ryanair webpage where you enter your card CVV number you will see the words

If the currency of this transaction is different to the currency of the card statement please click here to view the actual billing amount.

now the 'click here' never works for me [Firefox/Chrome] but if you use IE you should see the actual amount that will be applied to your card.

I've had a beef with VISA (ireland) about this as DCC is supposed to be at the buyers discretion not Ryanairs and all charges should be fully itemised not hidden in a poor conversion rate. Per VISA (europe) rules, see this link

http://www.visaeurope.com/merchant/operationsandsecurity/rulesandregulations/currencyconversion.jsp

cheers Mopi.

mopi wrote: »

On a couple of recent bookings I've made, I wished Ryanair did apply DCC - but they didn't!

Booked from Ireland to Brussels on their recent free (1c) flights promo. 5 of us travelling on return tickets, so total came to 10c. Paid with my UK Abbey Visa Electron card (GBP currency), but upon checking my Abbey account online a couple of days later, it's evident that Ryanair charged my card in EUR and so Abbey have duly charged me £1.25 for paying for a transaction in a currency other than GBP.

This was one occasion where I'd actually wanted Ryanair to apply DCC - even if they used a píss poor rate! Much prefer to have been charged 10p rather than 10c.

Ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Just in....

Unless of course it still works out cheaper after you factor in the baggage charge.

Just a reminder

your 15Kg weight allowence doesn't increase if you pay for more bags ,
    the €70 charge for the second bag means you still have to pay per Kg for the excess if the total weight of all hold bags is over 15Kg

you can't combine it with other people on the same flight, so two people with a 20Kg bag will have to pay for 5Kg excess

Get a weighing scales and make sure your bag is 15Kg or less, if you have multiple small bags , buy a single large one.

some airports in the UK do weigh bags at entry to departure so you don't make the carry on big AND heavy

The article I read about the hold luggage increase also said they were going to increase the weight allowance, I think to 30kg. Can't find the link though, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

MOH wrote: »
    The article I read about the hold luggage increase also said they were going to increase the weight allowance, I think to 30kg. Can't find the link though, sorry.

I thought the same the other day but looks like still 15kg per bag, what happens now is that you can check-in 2 bags per passenger that add up to 30kg for the 2 bags.

nava wrote: »
    I thought the same the other day but looks like still 15kg per bag, what happens now is that you can check-in 2 bags per passenger that add up to 30kg for the 2 bags.

Yep, that looks like it, found a link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 henrik51

love them or hate them,we all keep using them!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭c4cat

Just in....

Or use the post office and post yr bags to your final destination, its cheaper

c4cat wrote: »
    Or use the post office and post yr bags to your final destination, its cheaper

I checked how much to send 15kg by post to Mallorca. An Post want €85, or €90 if registered.

So in fairness, posting your bag isn't cheaper than paying Ryanair €15 for carrying it.

benifa wrote: »
    I checked how much to send 15kg by post to Mallorca. An Post want €85, or €90 if registered.

So in fairness, posting your bag isn't cheaper than paying Ryanair €15 for carrying it.

Business opportunity there, set up your own postal service to Mallorca by flying Ryanair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭hblock21

When did ryanair start charging €10 per person on the same credit card transaction? (or did they always).

Booked a flight for 3 people, they charged €30 for the credit card :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

hblock21 wrote: »
    When did ryanair start charging €10 per person on the same credit card transaction? (or did they always).

I think they always did - 5 euro each way per person.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

hblock21 wrote: »

Check the sig to avoid this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 New2Galway

Hi

Hoping someone can help..

Just booked a RyanAir flight for tomorrow morning.

I see you have to check in online.. I have no access to a printer..

Is there any out in the airport at all or what happens now?

Also I chose to check in 1 bag - This I presume is 1 bag as well as my carry on bag?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

Well if you cant print it out they will charge you €40 to checkin tomorrow and another €40 on the way back.

Yes you can have 1 checked bag + 1 carry on bag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

What airport ? Dublin has pc internet access & printers in these little kiosks but you have to check in 4 hours before the flight so thats a lot of waitining the airport

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

I Shoulda schtuck it to ryanair on the one cent deals and got others to do it too.. in other words, tried to fill up an empty plane (as much as the 1 cent percentage would be allocated at least).....

fkkers have just changed my return leg of a flight from 2.45pm to 08:45 in the morning rendering the trip pretty bloody pointless :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Surely there is an internet cafe near you, OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Just set up an Entropay card for myself there, I want to pay for a flight totalling €98.20, what exchange rate do they use? As in how much should I be depositing to the Entropay.

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

any friend / neighbour / company you know with a PC & printer & internet access will be able to do it for you too.

Advertisement