Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Winty wrote: »
    Now before you all jump in with “to make money” I don’t see how.
    They save money by not doing it, its very simple. It is one thing I am glad I do not pay for. I do not like the fact my aerlingus flight costs more since my seat is assigned. I would like the option to pay or not though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

rubadub wrote: »
    They save money by not doing it, its very simple. It is one thing I am glad I do not pay for. I do not like the fact my aerlingus flight costs more since my seat is assigned. I would like the option to pay or not though.
    No bus in Ireland that I have ever got on has had assigned seat numbers so I don't see why it is necessary. Whenever I fly aerlingus I never queue up - why would I? I know which seat I have already so i'm usually last to board the airplane. Every Aerlingus flight I have been on has taken longer to board than Ryanair flights - its just common sense.

Aerlingus are still was more inefficent than Ryanair. Simple things like making the safety announcement automated. I haven't flown Aerlingus in a good few months so I don't know if they have changed this yet but why do they insist on reading out the safety instructions before the flight commences. Firstly, it is impossible to understand because the mic they are using is so bad and secondly it is such a waste of time for an air host(ess).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭thebiglad

axer wrote: »
    No bus in Ireland that I have ever got on has had assigned seat numbers so I don't see why it is necessary. Whenever I fly aerlingus I never queue up - why would I? I know which seat I have already so i'm usually last to board the airplane.

Thats fine if you don't have any hand luggage - last on the plane and often struggle to find somewhere to put a coat let alone a wheeled suitcase.

thebiglad wrote: »
    Thats fine if you don't have any hand luggage - last on the plane and often struggle to find somewhere to put a coat let alone a wheeled suitcase.
    That is because Aerlingus do not enforce their hand luggage policy properly. Generally my luggage will fit under the seat though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

rubadub wrote: »
    I do not like the fact my aerlingus flight costs more since my seat is assigned.

I'd agree more with the people saying that it's to do with the making you queue so you won't delay the plane.
    Although if you're like me I don't care where I sit and usually have a small bag so I'll wander on last anyway.
    I doubt the system to assign seats to passengers on airplanes is costing a lot of money. They know how many seats they have, they know how many passengers have checked in. Writing a program to print out a seat number on each booking is not going to bump up the price of the ticket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

No bus in Ireland that I have ever got on has had assigned seat numbers so I don't see why it is necessary. Whenever I fly aerlingus I never queue up - why would I?
    Yes, I never queue up either, but most people still do on aer lingus flights, I never understand this. Unless its the baggage thing, but many do not have much.
    I'd agree more with the people saying that it's to do with the making you queue so you won't delay the plane.
    I would agree too, and that is all part & parcel of the cost saving I was inferring.

The guy said
    Winty wrote: »
    you all jump in with “to make money” I don’t see how.
    I simply said to save money. The fact people get on the plane faster is part of that saving. Their staff are not being paid to hang about longer, or showing people where their seats are. I expect they might face fines for delayed planes, or use up fuel & energy just hanging about.
    I doubt the system to assign seats to passengers on airplanes is costing a lot of money. They know how many seats they have, they know how many passengers have checked in. Writing a program to print out a seat number on each booking is not going to bump up the price of the ticket.
    It costs more than nothing, and many of ryanairs flights are next to nothing. It is not just a simple number printed on a ticket, there are several knock on effects leading to extra costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

they don't assign seats for the turn around reason, it always takes assigned seats longer to fill as people are faffing with seat numbers it might add 5mins per flight and that all adds up as well as being unnecessary for short haul flights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭ascend

I stupidly booked my girfriends name on a ryanair ticket as her full name initials followed by her surname: for example "Ms. A.B. O'Brien"

However it has her full name on her passport. Will I be required to make a name change to the Ryanair ticket? Its costs €100 to change it :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mikendub

I am flying from Edinburgh sunday night 18th Oct. I booked and checked in omline tonight. However i have just realised that my Passport name is in Irish (Micheal O Connaire) and my ticket name is Michael Conroy. What do i do? can i still travel on my passport? I cant chanhe online as I have already checked in.................what do i do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Type in a smaller font.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭Tefral

ascend wrote: »
    I stupidly booked my girfriends name on a ryanair ticket as her full name initials followed by her surname: for example "Ms. A.B. O'Brien"

However it has her full name on her passport. Will I be required to make a name change to the Ryanair ticket? Its costs €100 to change it :confused:

i have booked my tickets with intials like that before, never said a word to me

Thanks for the reply Cronin, Did you book like that with Ryanair?

I just read somewhere that the name on the ticket has to mirror your Passport. I'm just worried that Ryanair will use it as an excuse to stop my girlfriend boarding the flight if i don't change the name on the ticket.

Although, just thinking now, don't you have to enter the passport numbers when checking in online for Ryanair? So that would be proof enough that the ticket corresponds the the correct passport?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Merged into Ryanair Megathread

dudara

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

I'm off to London soon and was wondering which of the 3 airports to use. Ryanair use Gatwick, Luton & Stansted. I'll need to go from the airport -> Picadilly. Would anyone have a comparison of the time & price for travelling from the three airports using the train?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I'm off to London soon and was wondering which of the 3 airports to use. Ryanair use Gatwick, Luton & Stansted. I'll need to go from the airport -> Picadilly. Would anyone have a comparison of the time & price for travelling from the three airports using the train?

I use to do this I would fly

Ryanair/Aerlingus to Gatwick
    Train to Victoria
    Tube to picadilly

Cant remember prices etc but Victoria is 30min from gatwick by train.

Can anyone else confirm that booking the name on the ticket like this is okay?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

krudler wrote: »
    You're paying for essentially a bus service with wings, be thankful they get you there at all :)

My gf got Ryanair vouchers as a present with her name as Surname Forename. The only way we could use them was to book flights with her as the first passenger, and her name as surname forename - Ryanair told us to do so.
    Rang them a couple of times, as we were going to Spain and I was worried the the advance passenger information we provided wouldn't match her ticket name. Didn't have a problem - she travelled as Surname Forename.

On the other hand, we had rung Ryanair a few times and been told it was OK, and had names/dates of the calls, so if anything had gone wrong on the day I mmight have had some comeback.

I'd suggest ringing them to be sure

The ticket and passport name has to match exactly I am married. I booked my wife and myself as

Mr Joey the lips
    Ms Joey the lips

but her passport was in the maden name. They charged me 20 euro online to correct it or 40 euro at the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

The ticket and passport name has to match exactly I am married. I booked my wife and myself as

Mr Joey the lips
    Ms Joey the lips

but her passport was in the maden name. They charged me 20 euro online to correct it or 40 euro at the airport.

€20 to fix a silly mistake
    sounds about right.
    :P

Mr Joey the lips
    Ms Joey the lips

The difference between
    Axer Foley and Axer Kelly is massive whether married or not thus I can see why you would need a name change. Minor differences might not need to be changed.

• Advertisement

The difference between
    Axer Foley and Axer Kelly is massive whether married or not thus I can see why you would need a name change. Minor differences might not need to be changed.

With due respect AXER might not make a difference.

It costs you a euro a minute to ring and a sh1t load more at the airport so i would not go on might not speak. With ryanair you need to be exact.

Its how they make there money!

Mr Joey the lips
    Ms Joey the lips

I rang them earlier, saying I would have to ring that 1550 number at €0.95 per minute :eek: and it would cost about €10 admin fee to have the name amended. No doubt they would keep you hanging on the line.

I just wonder would they really pull her up on having her name as "A.B. O'Brien" as opposed to "Aisling Bronagh O'Brien" on her ticket??

Also would it make any difference that the passport number would also be on her ticket, showing that the ticket does correspond to the passport?

With due respect AXER might not make a difference.

It costs you a euro a minute to ring and a sh1t load more at the airport so i would not go on might not speak. With ryanair you need to be exact.

Its how they make there money!
    My point was/is your example is not a minor change thus irrelevant to answering the question - the mistake you made was the same as putting down completely the wrong name whereas the question is "how much of a variation of the name is tolerated".

My point was/is your example is not a minor change thus irrelevant to answering the question - the mistake you made was the same as putting down completely the wrong name whereas the question is "how much of a variation of the name is tolerated".

No variation as pointed out to me. Phone them and see,

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

I rang them earlier, saying I would have to ring that 1550 number at €0.95 per minute :eek: and it would cost about €10 admin fee to have the name amended. No doubt they would keep you hanging on the line.

I just wonder would they really pull her up on having her name as "A.B. O'Brien" as opposed to "Aisling Bronagh O'Brien" on her ticket??

Also would it make any difference that the passport number would also be on her ticket, showing that the ticket does correspond to the passport?

Try this number 01 2480856

I got it from saynoto1890.com

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

it may be here already (didnt really search) but just in case the local access no for ryanair reservations is 01 248 0856-redirected to Bangalore or the likes but thats globalization for ya

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭long_b

Hi all,

I've just booked a Ryanair flight for someone as a surprise but I went and put their phone number in as the main contact like a dope.

I'm pretty sure I selected no at the "Do you want a text message confirmation..." option but my question is - is there any chance Ryanair will send a text message to the passenger for any other reason ?

Thanks very much

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

think txt is for marketing in ryanairs case not flight notifications

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    think txt is for marketing in ryanairs case not flight notifications

They added in an added cost option for you to receive a text to remind you of flight time & day closer to the departure day.

They may possibly use it for sending adverts too, but i doubt of it will be used for anything of financial / private matter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Merged into Ryanir Megathread

dudara

Advertisement