Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

United Kingdom-based consultancy
    I always wonder how many rainforests these lads must go through, with all the brown envelopes they must get ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Skytrax is a United Kingdom-based consultancy, the public face of Inflight Research Services. It conducts research for commercial airlines. It carries out international-traveller surveys to find the best cabin staff, airport, airline, airline lounge, in-flight entertainment, on-board catering, and several other elements of air travel.

Apart from these surveys, Skytrax has an airline forum where passengers give other potential passengers the feel of an airline before choosing to fly with them. They also have flight reviews, flight checks, and satisfaction surveys.

They are best known for their annual World Airline Awards and World Airport Awards.

Inflight Research Services' research has been used by the UK government in formulating air-transport policy, for example in the UK House of Lords Select Committee on Science and Technology's Fifth Report.
    My original comments still stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

I think this may turn out to be interesting in the near future: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8384034.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

I know there's a Ryanair topic, but just to let yous know that from 31st of December there will be a €5 charge for booking using VISA electron.

But from the 1st of December the new way of being able to book for free will be with a Mastercard pre-paid card.
    RYANAIR will charge passengers to book flights using a popular debit card from next year, ending one way of avoiding the fee for using a credit card.

The airline charges €5 per person, per flight, for booking with a credit card, even though banks say it costs Ryanair less than €1 to process the transaction.

However, the charge can be avoided by getting a debit card known as Visa Electron, which in Ireland is only available at www.entropay.com.

But from January 1 the Visa Electron card will attract an "administration charge" of €5, Ryanair said yesterday.

The only way fliers will be able to avoid the administration charge is by signing up for a new MasterCard prepaid debit card.

Ryanair's Stephen McNamara said: "Passengers can use their MasterCard prepaid cards to pay for flights from December 1, while our Visa Electron promotion comes to an end on December 31."

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/ryanair-to-close---nofee-loophole-1959441.html

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Merged with Ryanair megathread

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

Mark200 wrote: »
    But from the 1st of December the new way of being able to book for free will be with a Mastercard pre-paid card.

wtf??

From todays IT -

"However, what customers save in credit card charges to Ryanair they could lose to the issuer. While Ryanair said prepaid MasterCards were much more widely available than Visa Electron, those available in Ireland come with substantial charges. The prepaid card issued by Payzone can be found in almost 500 shops around the country, but it costs €6 to buy and the user pays €3.50 to load up to €350. In addition, there is a 2.95 per cent commission for purchases.

Ryanair charged an annual fee of €85 for its own prepaid MasterCard when it was launched last year, plus 75c on each transaction. However, a spokesman said this card was no longer being offered."

Well, surprise, surprise, they are presumably on some sort of kickback scam with the other prepaid....

Anyway, what the f is the point of a prepaid? if you need to limit cc use you don't spend..... and you pay off at the end of the month.... or am I mising something?? This sort of prepaid is different from Entropay in this circumstance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Ryanair's Stephen McNamara said: "Passengers can use their MasterCard prepaid cards to pay for flights from December 1, while our Visa Electron promotion comes to an end on December 31."

It wasn't really a Visa Electron "promotion", it was a way of having a means of payment which would allow them to leave the charges out of the price.
    I blame all of you guys, to be honest. If everyone hadn't spread the word about entropay maybe I could have carried on using my foreign Electron card...
    Stupid Flanders Boards :(

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

MOH wrote: »
    It wasn't really a Visa Electron "promotion", it was a way of having a means of payment which would allow them to leave the charges out of the price.
    I blame all of you guys, to be honest. If everyone hadn't spread the word about entropay maybe I could have carried on using my foreign Electron card...
    Stupid Flanders Boards :(

Oh yea? I presume you are :)
    You don't think RyR doesn't know what is going on, and doesn't look for ANY opportunity to collect money. The Electron 'offer' was precisely because they knew that very few people had it, for all we know they may have been in on the deal with Entropay??
    The difference with RyR, if we are honest, is that we know what we are paying for the different bits. Have you the slightest idea what is the basis on which you pay bank charges? or the well known scam of 'delivery charges' for apparently low prices for goods over the Internet??

Concerning the cc charges on RyR we know we are being ripped off, but if you use your cc to get cash outside the € area you have to pay a %, that is real ripoff, the banks don't pay one another for the 'service' on a % basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Just booked a single flight home at Christmas from Manchester to Dublin near enough to Christmas - total cost £5! What an airline tbh

/ shouldn't be any hassle at all to change over to Mastercard prepaid. Pity though as Entropay was very handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭HarryD

Anyone know if this applies to Wirecard prepaid mastercard?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

HarryD wrote: »
    Anyone know if this applies to Wirecard prepaid mastercard?

Should be ok. From Ryanair's press release:

"The MasterCard Prepaid card is much more widely available than Visa Electron and can be picked up from financial institutions/ card issuers throughout Europe (including Belgium, Ireland, Netherlands and Portugal) and online."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

eth0_ wrote: »
    Should be ok. From Ryanair's press release:

"The MasterCard Prepaid card is much more widely available than Visa Electron and can be picked up from financial institutions/ card issuers throughout Europe (including Belgium, Ireland, Netherlands and Portugal) and online."

Entropay also offers a prepay Mastercard, they charge £4.99 for the application but will be refunded if you are unsuccessful, they send an actual chip+pin card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

I think someone told me if you buy a gift voucher you don't get charged that fee. You can then use it to pay for the flight. Am I right?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

padocon wrote: »
    I think someone told me if you buy a gift voucher you don't get charged that fee. You can then use it to pay for the flight. Am I right?

Yes that was mention before a few pages back, if I recall correctly you need to use the full voucher on 1 transaction, so if you have €75 in voucehr and only use €60 you will loose the €15

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

nava wrote: »
    Yes that was mention before a few pages back, if I recall correctly you need to use the full voucher on 1 transaction, so if you have €75 in voucehr and only use €60 you will loose the €15

Yeah, and I believe you can buy them in denominations of €25. So €25, €50, €75 vouchers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭proteuspal

Hi all
    I am needing to change a flight date over the Christmas period. I have a flight booked for the 23rd but need to switch back to the 21st. How much do Ryanair charge to change a flight? If its expensive, I might just sacrifice the flight as the one I now need to book is quite cheap!
    Thanks everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

proteuspal wrote: »
    Hi all
    I am needing to change a flight date over the Christmas period. I have a flight booked for the 23rd but need to switch back to the 21st. How much do Ryanair charge to change a flight? If its expensive, I might just sacrifice the flight as the one I now need to book is quite cheap!
    Thanks everyone

Link to charges

Just noticed now that page now says:
    Visa Electron
    Mastercard Prepaid Debit Card
    As a special offer to the above card holders, Ryanair, for a limited period only, will not apply an administration fee

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

padocon wrote: »

I have a comparison table in the sig, sometimes its best but almost always entropay is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

There is a thread in Bargain Alerts saying that if you use a disposable Credit Card there is no fee!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Just booked a single flight home at Christmas from Manchester to Dublin near enough to Christmas - total cost £5! What an airline tbh
    Thats great until your flight gets cancelled, your stuck in Dublin and then they hand you your fiver back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Thats great until your flight gets cancelled, your stuck in Dublin and then they hand you your fiver back.

What do want 'Hitchhiker's Guide to...' to do, pay £200 for a flight with another airline and get £200 back if they cancel :confused:

I have flown Ryanair about 50 times and they have never cancelled a flight on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

What do want 'Hitchhiker's Guide to...' to do, pay £200 for a flight with another airline and get £200 back if they cancel :confused:

I have flown Ryanair about 50 times and they have never cancelled a flight on me.

With respect I have flown ryanair many times and I have learned very valuable points. For example they do cancel flights but are more likely to cancel them for a regional airport like galway than dublin.

So if your flying into say gatwick or stanstead I would say your flight is unlikely to be canceled.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

or Manchester? Hardly a regional airport. I have primarily flown Prestwick to Dublin during the last 15 years and they have never cancelled a flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Same here, 100+ flights, no cancellations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

Talking about Manchester, some of Ryanairs ground staff aint the most friendliest or pleasant... Has anyone seen the box they now use to see if your hand luggage is oversized? Pathetic as it not the same size as one they use at the gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

ronaneire wrote: »
    Talking about Manchester, some of Ryanairs ground staff aint the most friendliest or pleasant... Has anyone seen the box they now use to see if your hand luggage is oversized? Pathetic as it not the same size as one they use at the gate.
    Are you sure that was Ryanair staff? Usually it is Servisair/Globeground that operate those points as they get a nice cut from oversized luggage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Enigma'

All Ryanair ground handling outside of Dublin is done by third party agents

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭clancyoo7

Flew out of Dublin with Ryanair during the week. I could not believe the way people were pulled from the line and frog marched up past everyone in a public humiliation, to put there bag into the metal measuring frame. The counter staff pulled pensioners and even pulled a 13yr old boy from the crowd. It is easy to spot if people are tacking the mick bringing on big bags outside the dimensions permitted, but alot of the people pulled, had baggage well within the dimensions, but dragged them out of the crowd regardless. To add insult to injury the flight was delayed by 20 mins, and they persisted in checking bags during this time. Could not help but feel you were running the gauntlet when you walked past staff at the boarding gate. Other than that could not fault one bit, and good value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You pay peanuts to be treated like cargo and you will be.

If you want to be treated like a human being, choose another carrier. That's Ryanair's attitude and no amount of indignant people will change their mind on it.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Its how they generate extra income, and I am sure there are staff incentives for seeking out xl baggage.

If you fly Ryanair, you expect this kind of treatment, and you make sure you stay within their many, many, rigid rules, or pay the price. In fairness, before they came along there was no way in hell you could ever fly to London for twelve quid.*

*Which I have done.

Advertisement